Showing 801-825 of 1074 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on 3 Aug 2012 10:45:40 BDT
Oh Dear Oh Dear

In reply to an earlier post on 3 Aug 2012 11:29:24 BDT
nephran says:
2 ol' dollies .

In reply to an earlier post on 3 Aug 2012 14:31:04 BDT
sbutterflys says:
since i recieved an update this week i am no longer able to turn off my wifi i have to remove my wifi setup everytime and then re enter passcode everytime i want to access in settings? not impressed! is this part of the new setup?

Posted on 3 Aug 2012 14:36:11 BDT
CBRetriever says:
if you'd read this thread, you'd have seen numerous references to the fact that the function has been given a new name and moved to a different spot on the menu:

Home - Menu - Settings - Airplance Mode

Airplane Mode on = wifi off
Airplane Mode off = wifi on

and you should have received a not from amazon explaining what the update contains - it mentions the airplane mode

oops, sorry, this is the UK site

Airplane = Aeroplane

Posted on 4 Aug 2012 13:58:13 BDT
Don't like the way the WIFI switching has been handled. It's counter intuitive and has not been made easier, as the Update message form Amazon would have us believe.

Since when was turning something (Wifi) OFF by turning something else ON (Aeroplane Mode), logical or straight forward. And why bury this procedure in the settings menu when it was just a couple of clicks away before.

Also, there seems to be a turnaround by Amazon as to how best to manage your Kindle and specifically battery life. I was under the impression that to extend battery life, WiFi needed to be turned off. Now, according to the Update message sent to updated Kindle's, Amazon seem to be advocating leaving WiFi ON all the time to ensure they are kept up to date.

One of the things I like about the Kindle, up to now (we'll just have to see how this progresses) is that it seemed to be free of the constant update nightmare of PC's and Laptops etc. Seriously, the Kindle's major selling point was it's simplicity. What on earth is there to update? A plea to Amazon not to go down the endless tweaking an updating route. You've got a great product out there that million seems to enjoy. Don't muck it up with pointless updates, unwanted features and more convoluted procedures now that you've got people on board with it. Keep It Simple.

In reply to an earlier post on 4 Aug 2012 14:34:25 BDT
Denis Powell says:
Sean, I thing it's a matter of interpretation. In the "Updated" message it says "Keep your Kindle connected to a Wi-Fi network to make sure you receive all future software updates." I don't think they mean "at all times" but to do so when an Update has been announced if you want the Update to download and install automatically. Every time one is announced quite a lot of people post that they've turned wireless on and nothing has happened, not realising that sending the file to every Kindle takes place over several weeks. I think it's just badly worded, but that's not uncommon for Amazon.

In the User Guide they switch between the term Restart and Reset when they mean you to use the Restart option and not Reset to Factory Defaults.

Personally I think all features of the latest update have been worthwhile and if "Aeroplane Mode" had been set as the first item on the Menu system to replace the Wireless option there wouldn't have been a problem. Unfortunately there isn't an agreed wording as some airlines refer to it as "Flight Mode" while others use "Aeroplane Mode".

Posted on 4 Aug 2012 15:18:26 BDT
cestina says:
Whilst I agree with Denis that putting Aeroplane mode at the top of the menu, instead of buried in Settings, would have gone some way towards making the update less annoying, I also think that Sean has a very good point about the labelling being counter-intuitive. Although I posted my views early on in this whole debate and am very well aware of how to work the thing now, I found myself the other day, when I was very tired, staring blankly at the turn on and wondering which way I was meant to be going.....

And arrgh, have just picked up my Kindle to check the exact wording and discovered that I left the damn thing on last night. Grrrr.....

In reply to an earlier post on 4 Aug 2012 16:04:15 BDT
Denis Powell says:
Cestina, I think the way to look at it is that when flying you'll be told that you can use certain devices if they have "Aeroplane/Flight Mode On". Apparently this is already a feature on a number of devices and may well become the norm. I'm sure we'll all get used to it, and on the settings page when you have Wireless on it says "Turn on Aeroplane mode to disable wireless connectivity," and vice versa. If you can see the WiFi bars at the top of the screen you know you have Wireless on. If you can't see them you have Wireless off as before.

In reply to an earlier post on 4 Aug 2012 16:48:31 BDT
Last edited by the author on 4 Aug 2012 16:49:07 BDT
Anya Brienza says:
I have a theory Denis, I think the reason Amazon buried Aeroplane mode in the settings menu is because there is a description needed to enable users to understand how to use it. When the Wi-Fi option was in the first menu it was a simple case of 'Wi-Fi on' or 'Wi-Fi off.' Now the option is opposing, the description has been added.

When the option is offered 'Aeroplane Mode: Turn on' the description states - Turn on Aeroplane Mode to disable wireless connectivity.
When the option is offered 'Aeroplane Mode: Turn off' the description states - Turn off Aeroplane Mode to enable wireless connectivity.

This information simply can't be fitted in the first menu, and when you think about all the confusion around the Aeroplane Mode, it makes sense that the description is needed. Amazon thought they were being helpful, but perhaps they were being a little too helpful.

In reply to an earlier post on 4 Aug 2012 16:52:12 BDT
Denis Powell says:
Anya, that makes perfect sense to me. You should change your name to Sherlock or Holmes ;-)

In reply to an earlier post on 4 Aug 2012 16:56:30 BDT
Anya Brienza says:
Coming from you, I take that as a huge compliment. Perhaps Amazon will change the position on the Menu once everyone has acclimatized to Aeroplane Mode. Will can live it hope.

In reply to an earlier post on 4 Aug 2012 17:29:48 BDT
Denis Powell says:
Anya, I think you're right again. As more devices have "aeroplane" mode as standard a time will come when many people won't know anything else.

Posted on 4 Aug 2012 21:27:19 BDT
2irons says:
Send an email to kindle support at amazon and complain about the location of the WiFi option. They do reverse 'updates' when enough users make it clear its been a mistake.

In reply to an earlier post on 5 Aug 2012 16:23:35 BDT
Matthew Winn says:
"I think the way to look at it is that when flying you'll be told that you can use certain devices if they have Aeroplane/Flight Mode On"

The problem is that it's not just when flying that you need to be careful of RF. Scientific and medical equipment is sometimes sensitive to radio interference. It's profoundly stupid to associate turning off radio functionality exclusively with flying, especially as planes are more likely to be immune to interference in the first place. Not only does it mean that people have no idea what the function actually does, but it also trains them not to use it where it matters.

In reply to an earlier post on 5 Aug 2012 16:51:25 BDT
Denis Powell says:
Matthew I've seen people use their Mobile Phones in hospital while sitting under a notice telling them they should be switched off. I used to officiate at Register Office weddings and one of the first things I said to guests was to ask them turn off their mobile phones. If I'd had 1 for every ring tone I heard during a ceremony I'd have been able to retire sooner.

You can't reach everyone no matter what you do.

Posted on 5 Aug 2012 18:32:03 BDT
Chaz says:
I like the update. i don't know what the fuss is all about. x

Posted on 5 Aug 2012 18:53:20 BDT
CallmeAng says:
There are occasions now when you can use a mobile phone in hospital.When our daughter's father-in-law was in hospital,he was able to use his mobile while on the ward.I was surprised when I first saw him using it as I thought that it was a no-no.

In reply to an earlier post on 6 Aug 2012 10:52:43 BDT
cestina says:
Apparently it depends how close you are to certain types of equipment. When I had an ECG recently at a local drop-in centre the operator told me that "ordinary" mobiles did not affect the equipment even if they were quite close to it but that he could immediately tell if someone was using one of the new sophisticated types (the names escape me!) even at the other side of the building, as his ECG machine went doolally.

In reply to an earlier post on 6 Aug 2012 11:22:33 BDT
Sean D. Elstob write :-

"One of the things I like about the Kindle, up to now (we'll just have to see how this progresses) is that it seemed to be free of the constant update nightmare of PC's and Laptops etc."

So Sean, how many times has your Kindle received an update, and how long have you had it?

This is the first update mine has ever received, and I've had it about 9 months. This is a very long way from the "constant update nightmare" you are so worried about.

Posted on 6 Aug 2012 11:31:07 BDT
CBRetriever says:
the Touch has had two since November 2012 (major then minor)
same for the Basic (minor then major)

In reply to an earlier post on 6 Aug 2012 11:35:44 BDT
masai mara says:
The touch had the big one when it was released here in April.

In reply to an earlier post on 6 Aug 2012 11:57:22 BDT
CBRetriever says:
true, but I was speaking of the life span of the kindle (there are still people who are just now getting those updates) - us international types lucked out

In reply to an earlier post on 6 Aug 2012 12:52:26 BDT
masai mara says:
Ok. Thanks. Didn't realise that...:)

In reply to an earlier post on 7 Aug 2012 20:18:00 BDT
I want the page covers of my books on my KT. Im sure its available on the other Kindle.

In reply to an earlier post on 7 Aug 2012 20:20:44 BDT
Suze says:
Lisa, do you mean the front cover. If you do a long press on a book it will bring up a little menu box and at the top should be a mini copy of the front cover. When you're actually in a book touch the top of the screen and at the bottom in the centre you get a go to option and can select front cover from that.
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the kindle discussion forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
Announcement
NEWS: Kindle Paperwhite Software Update 5.4.5
9 3 days ago
Announcement
NEWS: Kindle Paperwhite Previous Generation Software Update Version 5.4.4
256 6 days ago
Announcement
NEWS: Kindle Paperwhite Software Update Version 5.4.3
188 2 days ago
Announcement
Kindle Paperwhite Software Update Version 5.4.2
359 13 Jun 2014
Announcement
Kindle Paperwhite (Previous Generation) Software Update Version 5.3.9
58 21 days ago
Announcement
Introducing the all-new Kindle Fire HDX Tablets
545 26 days ago
Announcement
The all-new Kindle Paperwhite - the ultimate device for reading!
1018 11 days ago
Announcement
NEWS: Kindle Touch Software Update Version 5.3.7
87 28 days ago
Announcement
NEWS: Kindle Paperwhite Update Version 5.3.6
101 25 Apr 2014
Announcement
New Kindle Help Forum Now Available
0 5 Jun 2013
Announcement
NEWS: Kindle Paperwhite Update version 5.3.5
62 6 Aug 2013
Announcement
Important Announcement from Amazon
693 3 Aug 2013

This discussion

Discussion in:  kindle discussion forum
Participants:  213
Total posts:  1074
Initial post:  4 Jun 2012
Latest post:  27 Aug 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 31 customers

Search Customer Discussions