Shop now Shop now Shop now Up to 70% off Fashion Shop All Amazon Fashion Cloud Drive Photos Amazon Fire TV Amazon Pantry Food & Drink Beauty Shop now Shop Fire Shop Kindle Listen with Prime Shop now Shop now
Customer Discussions > kindle discussion forum

What would you change? write to feedback@amazon.co.uk

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 751-775 of 825 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on 14 May 2012 22:41:41 BDT
Brian says:
Yeah , the Yorkshire accent , if you're asking Will?

In reply to an earlier post on 15 May 2012 06:05:43 BDT
Denis Powell says:
As Welsh is possibly the oldest language in Europe I vote for a lovely lilting Welsh accent with nicely rolled Rs. Rob Roy read with a Welsh accent. Priceless. ;-) Da iawn!

In reply to an earlier post on 15 May 2012 06:15:10 BDT
Yes that would be good, rob Roy in welsh. Perhaps Benjamin Zephaniah reading Trollope and maybee someone from the cast of "goodness gracious me" reading dickens init.

In reply to an earlier post on 25 May 2012 00:35:24 BDT
G read says:
my kindle has had no signalfor three days can't shop no book descriptions socalled customer sevices want £22 quid for an answer which i dont think they can answer i suggest kindle has a free customer service like 100% of other companies do, sorry steven not quite the answer you were looking for but icant seemtoget heard any other way without it costing me £22 pounds . good idea though gilly

In reply to an earlier post on 25 May 2012 01:39:51 BDT
You just broke my bing translator :-(
You owe me £23

In reply to an earlier post on 25 May 2012 06:08:48 BDT
Denis Powell says:
G Read, Amazon Customer Services don't make any charge for helping you that I'm aware of and you're the first person who's posted that they've been asked for a fee. How did you contact them? Did you do a Google search and find a contact number? If that's the case you almost certainly found a commercial "help" company and not Amazon Customer Services.

Click on Help in the top right hand corner of this page and request that Amazon telephone you. They normally ring within seconds and the call itself then costs you nothing even if it goes on for hours.

Posted on 2 Jun 2012 16:24:13 BDT
Text-to-speech should be more quickly accessible (and disabled) at any point.
Improvements:
- after chapter title reader should pause, following formatting rules
- not reading irrelevant content like reference numbers etc. or at least set it as an option, based on semantic formatting
- possibility to turn pages without turning off tts

Ideally Kindle books should come with "adaptive" formatting and content: showing color pictures and better formatting on devices with better display than kindle reader, e.g. PC or tablets.

Cheers,

Luigi

In reply to an earlier post on 3 Jun 2012 07:41:40 BDT
Suze says:
Denis, I've just read this. A few people have now said Amazon are trying to charge them for an answer when they have a problem with their kindle. I think rather than going to support through Amazons site, people are googling and getting rogue sites. Personally, I think these sites should be closed down because they are just con men.

In reply to an earlier post on 3 Jun 2012 08:06:41 BDT
Denis Powell says:
Wonderful though Google is, you have to be a little careful with the results. I was doing some research around 2 in the morning recently, opening links in new tabs to read later, without giving them too much thought, and one of them triggered my anti-virus. Apparently the site was infected with or pushing a Trojan. If I'd been more alert I probably wouldn't have clicked on the link to begin with.

Incidentally, I notice that Amazon now has a reference to spoof/phishing emails on the Help page. I haven't had one for at least a week now, but was getting them at least once a day for a while.

Posted on 3 Jun 2012 09:27:22 BDT
Damaskcat says:
I cannot see why anyone would use Google to search for help with fixing a Kindle problem when there is so much help available free on the Amazon site.

In reply to an earlier post on 3 Jun 2012 09:56:53 BDT
Last edited by the author on 3 Jun 2012 09:57:15 BDT
Denis Powell says:
Damaskcat, I think it's because they don't know the help is available. Firstly the Help button isn't prominently displayed and secondly not every new Kindle owner knows there's a Forum in which they can ask questions. Some owners won't have bought their Kindles directly from Amazon, or will have been given one as a gift and may have only purchased books via the device itself.

Often you'll see a Forum discussion listed at the top of the Google page, but commercial companies are very good at getting themselves listed at or close to the top. What you get very much depends on how the search question is worded.

In reply to an earlier post on 3 Jun 2012 12:01:29 BDT
Damaskcat says:
But even if the Kindle was purchased elsewhere they would still have needed to go to their account to register it. I was just saying my first port of call for help would not have been Google but the Amazon site itself - not necessarily this forum. I would ahve thought that as the Kindle is an Amazon device the first site to try would be Amazon - but maybe that's too logical :-)

I understand what you're saying about commercial companies getting themselves listed close to the top of the searches.

In reply to an earlier post on 5 Jun 2012 15:35:31 BDT
G read says:
thanks, i finally found the customer service number, they have sent me a new kindle, mine was totally defunct, spent over an hour' on the phone trying to sort it . could'nt be fixed.

Posted on 23 Jun 2012 13:27:23 BDT
william says:
Since my kindle was updated I can no longer undo my Wi Fi as this option has been removed. Help please

In reply to an earlier post on 23 Jun 2012 13:35:22 BDT
Last edited by the author on 23 Jun 2012 13:35:35 BDT
Damaskcat says:
Aeroplane mode When it on wi-fi is off - when it is off wi-fi is on.

In reply to an earlier post on 23 Jun 2012 13:37:38 BDT
Willber G says:
One of Amazon's stranger design decisions...

In reply to an earlier post on 23 Jun 2012 13:38:55 BDT
Damaskcat says:
Perhaps :-) But as everyone seems to ask what they should do when on a plane I suppose it answers that question.

In reply to an earlier post on 23 Jun 2012 13:41:49 BDT
Willber G says:
K4 - the Kindle for jetsetters! I hope they continue to see K3 owners as boring stay-at-homes. ;-)

In reply to an earlier post on 23 Jun 2012 13:44:47 BDT
Damaskcat says:
So do I Wilber :-)

Posted on 23 Jun 2012 17:00:19 BDT
Ruth Brook says:
I have recently had my kindle updated, and in the process the dictionary I use when reading a book written in italian has now been moved so that when I access it it no longer automatically becomes the 2nd. item on the list. It now requires me to page forward and find it from a list of dictionaries. For me this is a backward step. I also had not expected the update, and so did not understand why the e-reader wasn't working as before.

Posted on 24 Jun 2012 15:01:29 BDT
Sumguy says:
I would bring back the wireless on/off functionality to involve less button presses, instead of hiding it in a second menu after the last software update! I turn wifi on and off frequently, and this counter-intuitive, downright stupid change-to be very blunt, is [infuriating] I want to be an anti-Kindle activist now. They need to change that back and FAST! They should've allowed us to easily and quickly turn wifi on and off by pressing and holding one of the available buttons, NOT hide the functionality after 2 menus! Un...believable!

In reply to an earlier post on 24 Jun 2012 16:04:13 BDT
Denis Powell says:
Sumguy, I agree with you about the difficulty of turning Wireless off, but I think we may have to start getting used to the term "Aeroplane Mode" on many portable devices. I believe it's a term regularly used by Apple and others on several devices. I expect other Kindles will get a firmware update to make it uniform across the range.

The use of the aeroplane symbol will make it easier for you to show the crew that your device is "safe" to use.

In reply to an earlier post on 24 Jun 2012 16:30:14 BDT
Last edited by the author on 24 Jun 2012 16:30:51 BDT
cestina says:
I couldn't care less what they choose to call it as long as they put it back in the main menu so that it can be accessed from within a book. And preferably put it somewhere near the top of the list as well. What on earth is the point of having Shop in the Kindle Store at the top of the menu list given that you need to turn on your WIFI to shop at all? It's like all the debt clients I used to help in the past who struggled to pay the credit debt on their cooker but failed to pay the electricity bill.....back to front. Grrrrrr.

In reply to an earlier post on 24 Jun 2012 16:34:20 BDT
Denis Powell says:
cestina, I agree with you. The last thing you need to be doing if cabin crew ask to see an aeroplane symbol is go searching through settings to turn it on.

Posted on 1 Jul 2012 18:49:49 BDT
J. B says:
can anybody help me please?
I have downloaded a free audio book to try on my kindle touch and unfortunately I only seem to be able to listen to it in txt to speak. I am visually impaired and this facility would be a real bonus to me. Any suggestions as to how I can listen to the reader not the robotic voice?
thankyou
Jan
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the kindle discussion forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
Announcement
Software Update for Kindle Paperwhite, Kindle Voyage and £59 Kindle.
258 4 hours ago
Announcement
Introducing the all-new Fire HD 6 and 7 and Fire HDX 8.9!
512 5 hours ago
Announcement
Amazon Introduces Two All-New Kindles
307 7 days ago
Announcement
NEWS: Kindle Paperwhite Software Update 5.4.5
127 9 days ago
Announcement
NEWS: Kindle Paperwhite Previous Generation Software Update Version 5.4.4
279 15 Jan 2015
Announcement
NEWS: Kindle Paperwhite Software Update Version 5.4.3
188 26 Jul 2014
Announcement
Kindle Paperwhite Software Update Version 5.4.2
359 13 Jun 2014
Announcement
Kindle Paperwhite (Previous Generation) Software Update Version 5.3.9
62 28 Oct 2014
Announcement
NEWS: Kindle Touch Software Update Version 5.3.7
93 19 Dec 2015
Announcement
NEWS: Kindle Paperwhite Update Version 5.3.6
113 10 Aug 2015
Announcement
New Kindle Help Forum Now Available
0 5 Jun 2013
Announcement
Important Announcement from Amazon
697 18 Aug 2014

This discussion

Discussion in:  kindle discussion forum
Participants:  333
Total posts:  825
Initial post:  6 Sep 2010
Latest post:  26 Sep 2014

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 30 customers

Search Customer Discussions