Customer Discussions > kindle discussion forum

Kindle Fire HD - Organising Books

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 51-67 of 67 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on 9 Jul 2013 11:11:16 BDT
You need to learn to read the post - Annie said "will keep my old kindle for reading books" and "save for an IPad for everything else".

Posted on 9 Jul 2013 11:13:08 BDT
You need to read the post properly Annie said "will keep my old kindle for reading books and save for an IPad for everything else".

In reply to an earlier post on 9 Jul 2013 12:15:34 BDT
Indeed. The first sentence for example.

In reply to an earlier post on 10 Jul 2013 18:17:47 BDT
essercizi says:
"No one wants to search through hundreds of titles to find the book they want"
The irony is that when you say "search" I think you really mean "browse", and yes, if you're simply looking for one specific book, that's going to be tedious with or without categories. But you don't have to - use the Kindle's "Search" facility and you can find a book almost instantly by author, titles, or just about anything you can recall such as a character or place name in the text. And you can do that on a Kindle Fire, just as you can with the Kindle apps or a "real" Kindle e-reader.

If you've only ever used categories to find books, then their absence might seem a major problem, but with the "Search" facility available, categores are not really essential IMO. Their main benefit is in allowing you to browse through genres of books or an author's works, looking for something that takes your fancy. But unless you're rigorous in categorising correctly that's not going to be foolproof, and the lack of a heirarchy system is a further limitation. I agree that categories such as "to read next" "reading now" and "already read" might be handy, but I manage fine without them. If I can't remember whether I've already read a book, and haven't deleted it, I'll probably enjoy reading it again!

Yes, it's a pity that the Kindle apps and Fire don't have categories for those people who like to use them, but personally I don't think it's quite the "deal breaker" that it might at first appear to be.

Posted on 2 Jan 2014 09:35:51 GMT
Dhunt says:
Going back to the debate re arranging books or apps into collections, I have just got a 8.9" Fire HDX and my wife the 7" Fire HDX, the same machine ? Seems not.
On her main pages for books and apps she has a symbol top left of screen that brigs up options including creating a collection. Mine does not have this menu feature, or is it hidden somewhere else. Is the OS for the 7" and the 8.9" fundamentally different ?

I am really pleased with the Kindle but the apparent lack of facility to organise apps, books and Docs etc like the iPad is a pain.
Any suggestions

In reply to an earlier post on 2 Jan 2014 11:38:42 GMT
I returned a Kindle Fire about a year ago due to the lack of a collection option. I now have an IPad and the Kindle App for the IPad allows collections, so I would have the thought the feature would be avaialable on any version of the Fire. On the IPad the collections option is accessed from the list button at the top left in Library mode.

In reply to an earlier post on 2 Jan 2014 12:13:42 GMT
Denis Powell says:
Are you sure you have the HDX and not the 8.9 HD? Did you pay over 300 for it?

Posted on 2 Jan 2014 12:52:58 GMT
Dhunt says:
Apologies, my 8.9" is the HD, the 7" is the HDX. Guess that makes a difference but assumed the functionality would be the same ?, maybe not.
May be missing something but the way IOS allows apps and docs to be grouped visually is what most would expect ?. At the moment I am organising pdf and other docs using a file transfer/manager app which allows access into the root filing system - I love my iPad but this is one feature that Apple seem to want to keep you away from so both platforms have their strengths and weaknesses.
No help for book readers but the Acrobat App does allow folders to be created for pdf and text doc organisation, very useful.

In reply to an earlier post on 2 Jan 2014 13:36:35 GMT
Last edited by the author on 2 Jan 2014 13:36:46 GMT
Your iPad app is compliant with Cloud Collections which are a bit different to Collections. Cloud Collections will be rolled out acrosss all new devices as and when. There are probbaly good reasons why they are not backwards compatible across operating systems.

I still have the document collections I made when the iPad didn't have collections. The new Cloud Collections are nice but have never been an issue for me on the iPad.

In reply to an earlier post on 2 Jan 2014 13:44:32 GMT
Amazon has only recently produced a Kindle app that allowed collections. Nothing to do with Apple.

The Apple iOS is a closed and protected system, unlike Android. You do not have access to write any files except where you are allowed to just as apps are. On Android the operating system files can be changed, added to or deleted - this is a major potential security breach (depends upon your Paranioa Level (tm) ) . In theory, trying to do that with iOS is rather more difficult if not impossible.

As you can email your pdfs and docs to your Kindle app, using a file transfer/manager might be a bit of overkill. Emailing docs to Kindle on an iPad is simple.

In reply to an earlier post on 2 Jan 2014 14:03:13 GMT
Dhunt says:
Many thanks, very usefull stuff. In case there is any confusion I am not referring to the iPad Kindle reader app, and docs are PDF, text etc, not ePub or kindle docs. Am not a heavy cloud user, only when sharing images etc with others so
Playing more with the 7" HDX one can add Kindle books and docs into user created collections, a great feature but suspect this may not be available for lesser devices (Fire and Fire HD) ?. What we do not seem to be able to do is create collections for pictures, but will respect pics grouped into folders through the 'Android File transfer' utility.
It's all good, just a new way of working.

In reply to an earlier post on 2 Jan 2014 16:27:38 GMT
Denis Powell says:
I have all my photos in Folders on my Laptop etc., and copy the Folder to my Fire. I view using QuickPic as I like the Slideshow feature.

In reply to an earlier post on 2 Jan 2014 19:04:20 GMT
I have a number of pdf on my iPad Kindle app - timetables, manuals, interesting bits and pieces - that I emailed to it. These pdf are now part of my cloud and become available to all devices.

Posted on 14 Jul 2014 16:58:43 BDT
Dee07 says:
Anyone think amazon should be listening to their customers, and FIX their kindle range so that book series are downloaded in consecutive order? I have numerous books that make up a series, and its infuriating that they don't list in their correct order on my kindle (or via the ipad kindle app either). This is a HUGE failing with amazon and it makes me angry they haven't done something about it. I've actually purchased a new series today that lists book title then the number that it runs in the series, and yet it STILL doesn't appear in consecutive order on my kindle. So many people seem angry and frustrated, WHY aren't amazon listening...and more to the point doing something about it?!!!

In reply to an earlier post on 14 Jul 2014 19:59:03 BDT
Last edited by the author on 14 Jul 2014 19:59:22 BDT
Maybe if customers communicate with Publishers, authors and Amazon then positive things will happen. Chatting with fellow customers will achieve little (in my opinion.)

I don't find this issue an issue, but I wonder if using Calibre and manipulating the titles so that series were in series order would meet your requirements? I honestly don't know if you can do it or if having to do it yourself would leave you dissatisfied - but it might be a suitable way of filling the gap.

I'd also suggest that it's at least 75% in the arena of the publisher who is responsible for the titling and labelling of books rather than Amazon ho only sell them (not even sure if Amazon would legally be allowed to change titles to make them sequential.) I'd have thought that publishers would have seen it as a positive selling angle and leapt at the opportunity. CW.

In reply to an earlier post on 14 Jul 2014 20:40:57 BDT
Denis Powell says:
I've never seen this as a problem. I simply add the books to a collection and create a simple list of the reading order and add that to the Collection too. I only need to consult it when I need to read the next book in the series, so for less than a minute every few days.

For my Fire HD, which doesn't have Collections, the list, as a pdf, works just as well.

In reply to an earlier post on 14 Jul 2014 20:56:21 BDT
Doesn't make angry. I have a list. I buy books in series order. I put books into collections in series order.
I'm not frustrated. Or angry. I've read the instructions.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the kindle discussion forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
Announcement
NEWS: Kindle Paperwhite Software Update 5.4.5
9 20 hours ago
Announcement
NEWS: Kindle Paperwhite Previous Generation Software Update Version 5.4.4
256 3 days ago
Announcement
NEWS: Kindle Paperwhite Software Update Version 5.4.3
187 12 hours ago
Announcement
Kindle Paperwhite Software Update Version 5.4.2
359 13 Jun 2014
Announcement
Kindle Paperwhite (Previous Generation) Software Update Version 5.3.9
58 19 days ago
Announcement
Introducing the all-new Kindle Fire HDX Tablets
545 24 days ago
Announcement
The all-new Kindle Paperwhite - the ultimate device for reading!
1018 8 days ago
Announcement
NEWS: Kindle Touch Software Update Version 5.3.7
87 25 days ago
Announcement
NEWS: Kindle Paperwhite Update Version 5.3.6
101 25 Apr 2014
Announcement
New Kindle Help Forum Now Available
0 5 Jun 2013
Announcement
NEWS: Kindle Paperwhite Update version 5.3.5
62 6 Aug 2013
Announcement
Important Announcement from Amazon
693 3 Aug 2013

This discussion

Discussion in:  kindle discussion forum
Participants:  21
Total posts:  67
Initial post:  25 Oct 2012
Latest post:  10 days ago

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 11 customers

Search Customer Discussions