Shop now Shop now Shop now Up to 70% off Fashion Shop All Amazon Fashion Cloud Drive Photos Amazon Fire TV Amazon Pantry Food & Drink Beauty Shop now Shop Fire Shop Kindle Shop now Shop now Shop now
Customer Discussions > kindle discussion forum

I'm moving to china will I still be able to use my kindle.

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 51-67 of 67 posts in this discussion
Posted on 5 May 2012 19:15:38 BDT
P. Evans says:
Nutmeg, my own advice is for you to take advice from Jimbob and Espace and no-one else. Like P.E. I find tiresome the number of self-appointed experts here who are forever pontificating on subjects they have no personal experience of.

I'm an ex-pat myself and I've found that if you have your account properly set up to point to the UK, with a UK 'One-Click' purchase system in place, it doesn't matter in which country you are when you download your books. I don't subscribe to any periodicals but I can't see why they would be any different.

In reply to an earlier post on 5 May 2012 19:23:15 BDT
BeeJayTee says:
I've been there Brian.
It's a beautiful country with warm and friendly people who are very keen to engage Westerners.
India is the same.
I've traveled a lot and I find people everywhere to be the same.
My nephew backpacked around the world and found more hospitality and warmth in Iran than he could imagine.
He was offered food and shelter everywhere.

It's politicians, business and clerics that cause conflict.

Wild Swans is a lovely book but was written two decades ago and spans back three generations.
It's not going to give an accurate picture of modern China - depending on where you locate.

In reply to an earlier post on 5 May 2012 20:54:16 BDT
viking says:
P Evans, ..."Pontificating on .... These extremely helpful posters you are calling have never claimed to be experts, lots of us newbies to this forum have found their help invaluable. Have you never heard the phrase "sharing & caring"? I rest my case.

In reply to an earlier post on 5 May 2012 20:59:56 BDT
Hippocratia says:
Maybe he would prefer it if we prefaced all our comments with 'I'm no expert, and this is only a suggestion'.

It is nice to know that other people find some of the suggestions we make useful.

In reply to an earlier post on 6 May 2012 07:14:21 BDT
ESPACE says:
No problem! BTW, where are you going to be based? I am in Shekou for my sins!!

In reply to an earlier post on 6 May 2012 07:20:21 BDT
Suze says:
I perfectly understand you not wanting to load your kindle with loads of books, but have you considered downloading Calibre, the free book management software, and loading some books onto that. It's easy to use and very useful. I'm thinking just for back up.
Like espace says, you'll be able to buy books without problem and people who are already there are the ones you need to listen to.

In reply to an earlier post on 6 May 2012 07:21:30 BDT
Suze says:
Espace, how limited is the internet in China. I'm nosy.

Posted on 6 May 2012 08:39:15 BDT
Jimbob says:
Suze as a traveler, not an expat, what I find is that its slower to start with and using google as a search engine is even slower than the others. Using some communication tools like Skype is harder as well due to speed, but I believe that's infrastructure related rather than "the great firewall"
I mainly use the internet for keeping up with the news, back when I started travelling I could not get the BBC at all but now I can access it and even iplayer for radio (TV is not available anywhere due to licence rules) however where I notice issues is when there is something that could be deemed as being bad news or embarrassing for the government the story will not show up when you click on the link, you just get a timed out message really quickly. For instance on the run up to the Olympics any stories about the torch bearers running through protests would simply not be on local TV or be timed out on the BBC news site.
Its not just the internet but international TV news stations you get in hotels, they would black out intermittently on similar stories.
It will be interesting to see what if any coverage is available on some of the big news we are seeing just now. I'll find out as I will be there next week, now we are talking about it, I'll probably pay more attention.
It doesn't feel oppressive just sometimes its annoying, but once again I stress I am a traveler, and always have a return ticket in my pocket, for expats and locals, it is probably tougher.
I would be interested to hear Espace' thoughts as well looking at it from a different perspective.

In reply to an earlier post on 6 May 2012 09:30:58 BDT
Suze says:
Thanks Jimbob. I knew they couldn't be completely blocked as they sell a lot of stuff on eBay from China, and was presuming if they're allowed eBay, then they're allowed Amazon which is far less risky. I understand the whole thing better now though.
I've never been to China. In fact I haven't been much further than northern France and Belgium. We did go to Germany but had to come home 2 hours after arrival because I got one of those phone calls we all dread. I still haven't been back, but will within the next 12 months I think.

Posted on 6 May 2012 14:43:19 BDT
[Deleted by Amazon on 27 Aug 2012 15:50:07 BDT]

Posted on 6 May 2012 16:11:41 BDT
Jimbob says:
No problems Suze, Sorry to hear about your curtailed trip to Germany, as you say the dreaded phonecall is a horrible thing when you are in a far flung place!
I am in the lucky position that I get to go tio lots of interesting places and not have to pay for it, the downside is I dont get to see lots of tourist areas, but that is balanced by spending time with locals and working with them.
I have a friend who is reading "Understanding China" by John Bryan Star, and he is just finished with "Poorly Made in China" and he reckons that no matter how much time he spends there China is like a women to him, great to spend time with, but will never understand how she works.
Best of luck on your travels when they happen, hope you have a great time where ever you end up :-)

In reply to an earlier post on 7 May 2012 06:10:03 BDT
ESPACE says:
Suze & Jimbob, Internet is rather slow compared to UK. As Jimbob points out, if you are trying to Google, then you are in for a longer wait or it just says "Unable to display"!! Some sites are censored, but there is an easy way around it by using a vpn based in the UK. By doing that, you can also use iplayer & download UK programmes also Sky Go!! I have a local cable TV service which has BBC World, CNN, Discovery, NGEO and some movie channels. Jimbob again is correct in saying, when there is a news item which is anti Gov. then there will be a break in service for a few minutes. I have learn't not to even bother trying to log onto the internet at 18:00, because everyone and his dog are on there after work! But life is good! KFC and McDonalds deliver!! Hong Kong is a 50 minute ferry ride away and M&S have a branch in a lovely shopping mall!

Posted on 7 May 2012 10:34:46 BDT
If your kindle has 3g and coverage is in the part of the world you are in then you will be able to download books to your kindle, as I have down in Madeira and Turkey recently, with a much better signal than I get in this country and Jimbob confirms that it can be done in China.

Looking at the 3g coverage map through link provided by Panache I see most major citys in China have 3g although countrywide coverage is not so good.

The only downside I can possibly see is that if you are constantly downloading for a long period of time then Amazon might reasonably assume you are now living in China and 'might' stop you doing so, although I don't know if this happens only basing this on the comments on the forum and not actual facts!

I do remember someone on another thread saying that you could download from .com site by changing your registered address to an address in USA, doing your download and then reregistering back to original address - whether this works or not I don't know as never tried it.

In reply to an earlier post on 7 May 2012 12:25:15 BDT
Jimbob says:
Hi Espace I wish I could VPN via UK and see iPlayer but my IT guys block some of those "not for work" sites, I suppose they need to manage their bandwidth usage.
But manage just with I player radio which you can get anywhere, so my sanity is managed / saved by some good comedy on Radio 4 when on long trip.
As for food, we tend to end up with junk food at lunch time as we have McD's, KFC and Subway as well as Mr Pizza close to work, but at night when left to our own devices we end up in Big Bowl, Hotpot or Korean BBQ places as they have the easiest (well photographed) menus for a bunch of foreigners to deal with and they are good fun and interactive ways of cooking eating and having fun with friends.
Luckily I am only here for 2 weeks so I wont put too much weight on before heading home :-)

Posted on 9 May 2012 09:17:21 BDT
Jimbob says:
Some may find this an interesting read :-)
I am surprised I could see it!
http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-17910953

In reply to an earlier post on 9 May 2012 09:24:29 BDT
Brian says:
Surprised, how?

Posted on 9 May 2012 09:54:07 BDT
Jimbob says:
Brian, Well I am in China, and previously when I was looking for articles on the "Great Firewall" for some OU work I was doing I was getting blocked all the time.
So I am not sure if I was lucky or found one of the cracks.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the kindle discussion forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
Announcement
Software Update for Kindle Paperwhite, Kindle Voyage and £59 Kindle.
264 1 day ago
Announcement
Introducing the all-new Fire HD 6 and 7 and Fire HDX 8.9!
522 10 hours ago
Announcement
Amazon Introduces Two All-New Kindles
307 10 days ago
Announcement
NEWS: Kindle Paperwhite Software Update 5.4.5
127 11 days ago
Announcement
NEWS: Kindle Paperwhite Previous Generation Software Update Version 5.4.4
279 15 Jan 2015
Announcement
NEWS: Kindle Paperwhite Software Update Version 5.4.3
188 26 Jul 2014
Announcement
Kindle Paperwhite Software Update Version 5.4.2
359 13 Jun 2014
Announcement
Kindle Paperwhite (Previous Generation) Software Update Version 5.3.9
62 28 Oct 2014
Announcement
NEWS: Kindle Touch Software Update Version 5.3.7
93 19 Dec 2015
Announcement
NEWS: Kindle Paperwhite Update Version 5.3.6
113 10 Aug 2015
Announcement
New Kindle Help Forum Now Available
0 5 Jun 2013
Announcement
Important Announcement from Amazon
697 18 Aug 2014

This discussion

Discussion in:  kindle discussion forum
Participants:  26
Total posts:  67
Initial post:  4 May 2012
Latest post:  9 May 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 3 customers

Search Customer Discussions