Customer Discussions > kindle discussion forum

Loving the easy refund option!

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 26-50 of 143 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on 2 Jan 2012 15:03:39 GMT
LOL, tiggrie! I'm afraid you have to be VERY careful as to how you express yourself on this Forum :o) At least you have the oportunity of further explanations :)

In reply to an earlier post on 2 Jan 2012 15:06:45 GMT
Last edited by the author on 2 Jan 2012 15:07:18 GMT
Damaskcat says:
I'm not sure why you went to the trouble of starting a thread about it if you hadn't used it frequently.

By the way when you're in a hole it's better to stop digging :-)

Posted on 2 Jan 2012 15:07:47 GMT
Last edited by the author on 2 Jan 2012 15:09:17 GMT
EDIT - my post clashed with yours and my questions pretty much answered...

Original post
--------

Can I ask the OP a question or two.

How long have you owned a kindle and how many books in total have you returned for anything other than clicking buy by mistake.

I've done it once, when I DID click buy by mistake. I have several hundred books on the device. Not once have I felt that I desperately needed more than blurb or sample to persuade me to buy. Sure I've finished some that didn't live up to expectations, but I've been reading for nearly forty years, only one of them with kindle and it's happened many times with paperbacks. I've never gone into Wh Smith though and demanded a refund.

The sample fact is, you are not using the return system for what it's meant for. You've also gone public on an Amazon forum to explain what you are doing.

Posted on 2 Jan 2012 15:15:01 GMT
Last edited by the author on 2 Jan 2012 15:15:51 GMT
bluecat says:
I guess at the end of the day it's Amazon's fault for not giving a clear enough policy. If they had a drop down menu by the refund button for you to choose the reason for the return, along with a box to fill in giving further information, this may help to police the system a bit more.

edited to make clearer

Posted on 2 Jan 2012 15:15:34 GMT
Maria says:
I have sat & looked at books in bookshops too , usually when it is a big heavy book, but I don't do it time after time, day after day, & expect to able to take them home too to browse more deeply. That is what people do in libraries and , which is not what Amazon is.

Posted on 2 Jan 2012 15:23:06 GMT
Last edited by the author on 2 Jan 2012 15:32:45 GMT
Well as I said, it seems like people are assuming that I'm somehow buying dozens of books and then returning most of them, which frankly is not (and has never been) the case. Though I suppose you can only take my word for that (or not) and me saying it isn't going to make much difference.

It's always been possible to return a book from the Kindle itself for a short time - it's never before (as far as I have seen) been possible to do so from one's account without contacting customer services to request a refund. As I've mentioned, I've had to do this a good few times because a book's price has changed drastically in a very short time, and I have unfortunately got caught in the price change. If anyone offered to sell me something for nothing or for a few quid, and then charged my credit card a tenner or twenty pounds (or more) then I would feel justified in asking for a refund, and that is what has effectively happened to me on occasion.

I only even noticed the refund option because the last time I got stung in that way the Customer Services person told me that I could process the refund from my account. I was told that it would be found in "Manage Your Kindle", and when I emailed back to say, "I don't see it" (which I didn't because at the time I was looking for it on a free book which didn't need this option!) they told me that if it didn't appear, I was to ring up so someone could take me through it and check the option was there. If it hadn't been pointed out to me by the CS person, I don't know when (or if) I would have seen it.

As I've said (repeatedly, and I feel like I'm going to give up saying it because obviously people think I am lying), I am NOT, have NEVER, and NEVER WILL just turn around and return a book I have read in order not to pay for it. A book I enjoy I will read many times, and will be more than happy to pay for.

I had to return a sale book the other day that I bought by accident by clicking on the buy rather than sample button because I was extremely tired. (it was the Glamour Girls one I previously mentioned - if I had realised it was so pointedly aimed at teens I wouldn't even have been getting the sample.) And yes, that was my fault, absolutely - there's no question of that! but nevertheless I am very glad that 1) Amazon is generous enough to refund accidental purchases and 2) I could deal with it the second I noticed, easily and swiftly, and not have to wait to find out if the refund had gone through. That was a huge relief to me, and that's what made me start a thread to thank the CS for making it so easy.

The only other effect the safety net of an easy refund has had on my purchasing during this sale is that I have bought MORE books and discovered books and authors I would otherwise have ummed and ahhed only to decide that I wouldn't buy them after all. Generally in the past I've erred on the side of caution, and both me (for reading matter) and the authors/Amazon (for sales) have missed out. I've bought more books in this sale because I have known that, worst case scenario, I could return them. Does it mean I've sat here returning dozens? Nope. Does it leave my mind at rest knowing that option is there? Yes, most certainly.

So yes, it seems that people are assuming I'm lying, stealing and cheating. All I can say is that no, I'm not, and I'm only sorry that I seem to have given that impression. My only intent in starting the thread was to applaud Amazon for making life easier when mistakes are made and giving me more confidence in trying out books that otherwise would have stayed on their virtual shelves as far as I was concerned. I don't really know what else to say as clearly those who feel inclined to disbelieve are unlikely to be swayed.

In reply to an earlier post on 2 Jan 2012 15:29:05 GMT
Maria says:
Perhaps just let it rest now. Some agree with you, some don't, it doesn't seem as if anyone will change. Enjoy your Kindle.

In reply to an earlier post on 2 Jan 2012 15:30:35 GMT
Diana: I've had a Kindle since August.

I've bought thousands of books - I don't know how many I've paid for out of those. It's a small proportion, relatively, but only because I've mainly stuck with classics.

Out of the many, many books I've bought, I've returned a number that went from free to expensive very quickly. The huge majority of returns I've made have been for accidental purchases - usually, when I've intended to click "sample" but have made the mistake of clicking purchase by mistake. I have ME/CFS, and sometimes my brain tries to do one thing and then does another. Brain fog sucks. Whenever I have made an accidental purchase, I have tried to rectify it as quickly as I possibly can - and I certainly don't read a book and then return it. I very much appreciate Amazon making that process easier!

Before the easy refund came in, I bought a few books that, on reading, the content was very different from what I had hoped/been lead to believe. I claimed refunds for those books through CS, and had no problems. That was not an automated process: that was a person looking at my claim and saying "Yep, that's all right, have a refund". Off the top of my head I don't think I have actually claimed a refund for any reason except accidental purchase since the new refund system, but yes, I've used it for that and been very grateful for it.

Anyway, like I said, it's evident that people feel I am lying here so there's not much point in me saying more, and as I said, I'm only sorry that a post in which I wanted to praise Amazon for the change has become a post about how people think I am defrauding the system.

In reply to an earlier post on 2 Jan 2012 15:33:50 GMT
I'm not saying you are lying, I'm saying I think you are using the refund ability for the wrong reasons. I can't think of any other equivalent purchase of an item, digital or otherwise, where that would work.

You are stating that you keep books in a folder that, if you get reading and find the content is not up to your satisfaction, that you can then get a refund. I don't think that's right. Sorry

In reply to an earlier post on 2 Jan 2012 15:33:53 GMT
Last edited by the author on 2 Jan 2012 15:37:23 GMT
Maria: Yes - and thank you, I will. I wish I hadn't managed to give a bad impression, but such as it is, I guess I will have to live with. And I guess I have to live also with the fact that some will choose to disbelieve me when I say I have no intention of abusing the system - I know anyone who knows me would trust me when I say it's giving me peace of mind and making me buy more books, but that's not a possibility on the 'net and so those who distrust me, will distrust me. Such is life I suppose.

In reply to an earlier post on 2 Jan 2012 15:34:51 GMT
Last edited by the author on 2 Jan 2012 15:35:18 GMT
bluecat says:
I don't think anyone thinks you are lying - there just seem to be differing opinions on what is a valid reason for a refund. And unless Amazon tighten up the policy, the 1-click refund option is there to be used by anyone for whatever reason.

In reply to an earlier post on 2 Jan 2012 15:42:55 GMT
Last edited by the author on 2 Jan 2012 15:49:14 GMT
bluecat: I guess I am going by what Amazon lists as a valid reason. As I have said, I have used it basically for returning accidental purchases, and I appreciate that Amazon have made it so much easier. This is just a personal opinion, but actually it's one thing I've always disliked about the 1 click order for Kindle books. Sometimes my finger is clicking semi-automatically - I'd rather add Kindle books to a Kindle "basket" and then be able to check through them, but unless Amazon decide that's a reasonable option, I'm just relieved it's easy to rectify a mistaken purchase.

I guess I just like knowing that with a book I am uncertain of, Amazon will give me a second chance. So far, it's only made me buy more books... and so far they have all been good risks to take. I'm really wracking my brain (I am exhausted) and so far I think the books I returned for reasons other than a mistaken purchase (the ones I can remember was a short series of books which spectacularly didn't live up to the descriptions given them) have all basically been BEFORE the returns changed, and Amazon didn't have a problem with those, so I didn't. I wasn't even sure when I asked for a refund whether it would be granted on those grounds, but it was, and I was relieved, because those particular books were so unbelievably disappointing in content. They were the first I'd ever tried to return that way - they weren't even expensive, but I just felt so utterly mislead by the description and the sample.

But anyway, yeah, I really am shutting up now *sigh* I guess I'm just sad that this thread which I intended as a thank you for making life easier has turned out this way.

In reply to an earlier post on 2 Jan 2012 15:48:00 GMT
Last edited by the author on 2 Jan 2012 15:49:19 GMT
Damaskcat says:
I did not think you were lying - I do think what you say you are doing is wrong. It was the fact that you said you were keeping newly purchased books in a folder and making a point of reading at least part of them before the 7 days are up in order to decide whether to claim a refund that bothered me. I can't see why you would be claiming a refund because the price had gone up either - don't you check the price first before you buy?

If a book contains too many errors and is unreadable because of that the 7 days is irrelevant because you can still claim your money back and I don't think anyone has an issue with that.

Posted on 2 Jan 2012 16:02:20 GMT
Last edited by the author on 2 Jan 2012 16:04:26 GMT
Well as I said, Damascat, it's just given me peace of mind about being more adventurous. I can only refer you to what Amazon lists as reasons for refund, and say that for me it has resulted in more purchases. (After all, it was possible to return them before - it was just more awkward... and I believe it's possible to return actual "real" booksto Amazon too? though I've never done that myself.)

I think the only books I've returned for that reason were the ones I've mentioned, which I certainly would *not* have purchased in a "real" bookstore. But what can I say? I guess Amazon will take action if they feel the option is being abused.

For me, it's 1) a relief to know that when I have a dumb moment I can rectify it immediately and 2) if a book turns out to be seriously bad in some way (in which I was including formatting clunkers and the like) I have an option to use a service which Amazon *already offered* in a way that is incredibly easy. It's made me more adventurous, and for that I am grateful.

Re: price - I always check, sometimes I click on automatic and have done it before I can stop myself (which as I've said, is obviously my fault and I'm very grateful Amazon let me sort it out) and I think sometimes I've been truly unfortunate and as I have opened the page the price has been one thing but has actually changed after the page loaded and before I clicked. If I remember to do so, I refresh before I click buy, but I think once or twice I've simply had very unfortunate timing.

And I really am shutting up now. I just wanted to explain about the price thing really. Nuff said. I'm going back t'Kindle.

Posted on 2 Jan 2012 16:05:42 GMT
CC. says:
@ Tiggrie,

I for one am sorry you found yourself in the situation that you did, owing to the possible misinterpretation of your OP.

You have done your best to explain the situation, and whether people accept that or not is for their own judgement.

I don't think for one moment that people were accusing you of lying, because in general people tend to talk (write) in a more vociferous manner if that should be the case.

Over time, we have all written things on these forums which we wish we could retract before they were read, and maybe today was your turn.

You sound like a nice lady that enjoys reading as most of the Kindle family members do here. I'm envious that you are able to read so quickly, and get through the number of books that you do.

Please don't be disheartened by some of the comments made today. I'm sure they weren't meant unkindly, and have probably been forgotten already by those who made them. I include myself amongst those.

Happy New year:)

Posted on 2 Jan 2012 16:13:01 GMT
Last edited by the author on 2 Jan 2012 16:21:18 GMT
I know I said I wouldn't post again but I can't find another way of doing this, and I'm so glad that despite misgivings I clicked to see the latest reply - I just wanted to say thank you CC. Is it pathetic to say you just made me cry? - in a good way, I mean. If you had a review posted where I could say this without it being broadcast to the forum I would have but I'm grateful enough to think sod it and no matter if someone thinks that's stupid! Thank you.

I guess I need to remember that the 'net is an impersonal place and not to take things too much to heart, and that I've let this thread get to me more than I should have and more than I had realised. I really appreciated your post. Thank you :) and happy new year.

In reply to an earlier post on 2 Jan 2012 16:19:22 GMT
Princess says:
Hi Tiggrie - you know that your actions are the in the spirit of returning books and that is what matters. You have explained yourself to a bunch of strangers when you needn't have done.

I'd say forget it and put it behind you and continue to enjoy your kindle! x

In reply to an earlier post on 2 Jan 2012 16:19:29 GMT
Maria says:
It is a thread on a forum that is all, as you said. Let it go now ,no more getting upset. Happy New Year.

Posted on 2 Jan 2012 16:24:04 GMT
CC. says:
@ Tiggrie,

Its good to cry now and again. It clears the eyes and makes it easier to read the Kindle without a backlight. xx

In reply to an earlier post on 2 Jan 2012 16:26:56 GMT
bluecat says:
tiggrie, don't upset yourself. You have put a lot of energy into explaining yourself and you needn't have done. Happy new year and happy kindling xx

Posted on 2 Jan 2012 16:45:55 GMT
Denise Ward says:
So may i ask how do you claim a refund?? i wasn't aware of this .. i clicked to download a book by mistake the other week wish i had known about the refund things then!.

May i also say that a new kindle owner i am finding this forum so helpful .... so thank you

In reply to an earlier post on 2 Jan 2012 16:48:09 GMT
Princess says:
Hi Denise - if you go to manage your kindle page and click on the down arrow on the right, it gives you the options available (one of them being refund if it's within seven days of purchased). I hope this helps.

Posted on 2 Jan 2012 17:22:18 GMT
Denise Ward says:
Great thanks for the reply Princess.

Posted on 2 Jan 2012 21:18:51 GMT
TIP:
If you download lots of freebies Amazon don't make it easy to check if you have been charged. You have either to open each and every Amazon email or every click on every item in "Manage My Kindle" - UNLESS you have an Amazon Gift Voucher. Only items for which there is a charge are shown there when you check the balance.
Does anyone know if you get Nectar or Amazon points buying or using a Gift Card?

Posted on 2 Jan 2012 21:29:04 GMT
You get nectar points if you came in via the nectar site, no matter how you pay.
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the kindle discussion forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
Announcement
NEWS: Kindle Paperwhite Software Update 5.4.5
84 9 hours ago
Announcement
NEWS: Kindle Paperwhite Previous Generation Software Update Version 5.4.4
269 15 days ago
Announcement
NEWS: Kindle Paperwhite Software Update Version 5.4.3
188 26 Jul 2014
Announcement
Kindle Paperwhite Software Update Version 5.4.2
359 13 Jun 2014
Announcement
Kindle Paperwhite (Previous Generation) Software Update Version 5.3.9
58 6 Jul 2014
Announcement
Introducing the all-new Kindle Fire HDX Tablets
551 4 days ago
Announcement
The all-new Kindle Paperwhite - the ultimate device for reading!
1022 2 days ago
Announcement
NEWS: Kindle Touch Software Update Version 5.3.7
87 29 Jun 2014
Announcement
NEWS: Kindle Paperwhite Update Version 5.3.6
101 25 Apr 2014
Announcement
New Kindle Help Forum Now Available
0 5 Jun 2013
Announcement
NEWS: Kindle Paperwhite Update version 5.3.5
62 6 Aug 2013
Announcement
Important Announcement from Amazon
697 9 days ago

This discussion

Discussion in:  kindle discussion forum
Participants:  37
Total posts:  143
Initial post:  2 Jan 2012
Latest post:  7 Dec 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 3 customers

Search Customer Discussions