Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop All Amazon Fashion Summer Savings Up to 25% Off Cloud Drive Photos Learn More Shop now Shop now Shop Fire Shop Kindle Oasis Learn more Shop now Learn more
Customer Discussions > kindle discussion forum

frozen screen

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 26-41 of 41 posts in this discussion
Posted on 7 May 2012 11:32:25 BDT
Daphne says:
it is that simple, give them a ring. if it's under waranty and it's not working, they will replace it. I have had mine replaced twice under warranty. once because the plastic casing cracked, and once because it developed a rattle (probably a loose screw) and even though it was still working in both cases, they offered me a free replacement before I had even asked for one. seriously call them while it is still under warranty. use the help button in the top right hand corner of this screen follow the contact links, and the call us link and they will PHONE YOU BACK immediatly for free!

In reply to an earlier post on 7 May 2012 11:44:29 BDT
Dear Daphne
Will they do the same for my neighbor Fiona even though she gets the ice off with a CD case?
Regards
Eve Ningprimrose

In reply to an earlier post on 7 May 2012 11:48:41 BDT
Damaskcat says:
Life - I find - generally is if you approach people in the right way.

Posted on 7 May 2012 15:22:20 BDT
Had the same problem with the frozen screen ! done every thing asked several times with no results. when contacted amazon because im just out of warranty its going to cost me £40, to replace it. By reading all comments on this forum there seems to be a underlying problem with the kindle software ! So should we be charged to replace when it seems to be there problem .

In reply to an earlier post on 7 May 2012 15:34:13 BDT
Damaskcat says:
Not sure how you work out there is a problem. Plenty of people who post on this forum have had their Kindles since August 2010 without any issues at all.

In reply to an earlier post on 7 May 2012 15:41:20 BDT
Alot of people have had the same problem ? ive just read there all there comments !

In reply to an earlier post on 7 May 2012 15:44:37 BDT
Damaskcat says:
However people with problems tend to post more often than satisfied customers. A few hundred posting on here compared with millions of Kindles sold? Peanuts really when you think about it. If a problem occurs after 6 months the onus is on you prove there was an inherent fault when you bought it. Pointing to an internet forum is not usually sufficient evidence.

In reply to an earlier post on 8 May 2012 04:34:39 BDT
Mark Must says:
Here is the first problem Daphne. The 'frozen screen' is very common. Amazon even have it listed under their own FAQ's. They will be hoping to avoid a general re-call by dealing with customers individually. The second problem is that 1 day after warranty you have to pay. The third problem is that the fault often occurs after warranty. The fourth, personal, problem is that I am working in a Third World country and a phone call costs about £25 - that's if the signal is strong enough and the electricity is on. There's not much to do at night, hence the reason I purchased my lovely kindle in the first place. I'm not angry,yet, but when I get back to the UK next month for a brief visit, I will be expecting serious customer support. Let's see.

In reply to an earlier post on 8 May 2012 06:34:01 BDT
Oracle says:
Mark, the frozen screen on Amazon's help pages that can be solved by a restart obviously isn't the same as the terminal screen. If you think about it, it's pretty obvious that the first one is a software/memory issue (overload) and the second one is hardware (damaged screen, terminal hardware fault etc). In the second case, the screen is frozen because the Kindle is no longer capable of operating, the same as if your computer fails, the screen will be 'frozen' in black.

I've had my Kindle for 18 months and have had plenty of the first type of freeze and none of the second. It's not the same thing.

In reply to an earlier post on 8 May 2012 08:21:55 BDT
Damaskcat says:
Oracle - same here - I have had a few occasions where the Kindle has frozen - usually because I pressed too many buttons! The troubleshooting section in the manual is very useful - there are similar sections in most manuals.

Posted on 8 May 2012 09:54:06 BDT
Mark Must says:
Thanks Oracle. I have read and then tried everything that Amazon suggests and then a few ideas of my own. I think it's a problem of the system software because one moment it was working perfectly the next frozen. No knocks, drops or miss use of any kind. Plus it is frozen in 'opening mode' plus there's a lot of it about. Very frustrating if it is an inherent defect and it does look like it is, wouldn't you say?
Your reply to Mark Must's post:
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)

In reply to an earlier post on 8 May 2012 11:05:24 BDT
Damaskcat says:
Two of us have been at pains to say we haven't had your problem even though our Kindles are getting on for two years old but you still say it's an inherent defect. Sorry but that is not logical.

In reply to an earlier post on 8 May 2012 17:54:12 BDT
Hi mark ive had exactly the same problem as you ! tried everything amazon suggest with no results. Spoke to customer support this morning, they tell me they have had a number of customers contacting them with the problem. they said there engineers are investigating the issue. Because my kindle was just out of warranty they offered me a replacement for £40. hope this helps you

In reply to an earlier post on 8 May 2012 18:07:44 BDT
Brian says:
Not a great idea , because engine's don't like idling.

In reply to an earlier post on 8 May 2012 18:09:15 BDT
Brian says:
True

Posted on 10 May 2012 01:12:20 BDT
cjfroglover says:
Mine is doing this. I have tried different chargers. I just don't know what to do anymore. I hope you find a solution.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the kindle discussion forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
Announcement
Software Update for Kindle Paperwhite, Kindle Voyage and £59 Kindle.
305 4 days ago
Announcement
Introducing the all-new Fire HD 6 and 7 and Fire HDX 8.9!
535 9 Mar 2016
Announcement
Amazon Introduces Two All-New Kindles
307 3 Feb 2016
Announcement
NEWS: Kindle Paperwhite Software Update 5.4.5
135 21 days ago
Announcement
NEWS: Kindle Paperwhite Previous Generation Software Update Version 5.4.4
288 23 Mar 2016
Announcement
NEWS: Kindle Paperwhite Software Update Version 5.4.3
192 23 Mar 2016
Announcement
Kindle Paperwhite Software Update Version 5.4.2
363 23 Mar 2016
Announcement
Kindle Paperwhite (Previous Generation) Software Update Version 5.3.9
65 24 Mar 2016
Announcement
NEWS: Kindle Touch Software Update Version 5.3.7
95 23 Mar 2016
Announcement
NEWS: Kindle Paperwhite Update Version 5.3.6
134 26 Mar 2016
Announcement
New Kindle Help Forum Now Available
0 5 Jun 2013
Announcement
Important Announcement from Amazon
698 18 Mar 2016

This discussion

Discussion in:  kindle discussion forum
Participants:  14
Total posts:  41
Initial post:  28 Mar 2012
Latest post:  10 May 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 4 customers

Search Customer Discussions