Customer Discussions > kindle discussion forum

Do you cry (Kindle post)

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 196 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 31 May 2012 09:37:10 BDT
frenchie says:
Well, it is a bit embarrassing, but whenever I read a book with a sad paragraph, I cry. Happy ending? I cry. Emotional reunion? I cry. Happy news, I cry... it is ok at home, but when on a bus or in the park.... LOL . Funnily enough though, I am a happy go lucky sort of person.

I just wanted to know if it is just me, or they are others out there who do have their hanky by their Kindle.. or just a hanky handy?

Oh, but I suppose, guys just don't cry **sigh** my hubby doesn't, even with a sad film (he does not Kindle) , and always gives me these funny looks like ''oh oh, here we go again'' and passes me the box of tissues. He tells me it is ''girl thing'' to cry... is it really?

In reply to an earlier post on 31 May 2012 09:44:59 BDT
Last edited by the author on 31 May 2012 09:45:51 BDT
Damaskcat says:
In my opinion it's a human thing to cry - men do it too :-) I cry at sad things I read in books and I cry at happy things. I cry at films as well even if I am in a cinema. I used to go to the cinema a lot with a work colleague when we were working away form home. We used to go and see films like Monsters Inc and Ice Age as light relief from work - and we both cried at the sad bits. My - male - colleague said to me when we came out from seeing Monsters 'You're going to think I'm odd but I cried at the end'. I said 'so did I'. We both laughed and agreed we were a couple of softies!

Posted on 31 May 2012 09:50:52 BDT
Kerri says:
I am terrible - I cry at anything like that so hoping most people think its normal :)
I think it shows we are human :)

Posted on 31 May 2012 09:57:45 BDT
K. A. Newton says:
Rarely saw my husband cry but we cried together at the end of ET as the spaceship left Earth for home.

Posted on 31 May 2012 09:59:34 BDT
Fi esta says:
Three letters PMT, anything can set me off on those days...I ought to wear a sign so people can avoid me...

Posted on 31 May 2012 10:00:10 BDT
Campievanner says:
Me too. Books, TV.
The Remembrance Day parade always has me reaching for the tissues.
the Olympic torch relay - several times.
Dont think it is just a girlie thing although I am a girl.

Posted on 31 May 2012 10:15:14 BDT
DiscoReader says:
Another one here who cry's at everything.
My children just raise their eyebrows and ignore me now!

In reply to an earlier post on 31 May 2012 10:19:59 BDT
Denis Powell says:
When the men of St Dunstan's pass the cenotaph I can't help shedding a few tears.

I'm always careful what I read when on the bus too, which is another Kindle advantage. When a book gets to a very emotional part I read something else until I'm on my own.

I'm not ashamed to cry, or feel extreme emotions, and have never felt that it was unmanly, but some things are better done in private unless others understand, which the person sat beside me on the bus certainly won't.

My biggest worry is that when I pull my handkerchief out of my pocket it turns out to be the one I used earlier to wipe the seagull bowel evacuation from my shoulder. :-o

In reply to an earlier post on 31 May 2012 10:22:27 BDT
Fi esta says:
Yuck Dennis! I've just eaten and your last sentence has left me feeling queezy...

Posted on 31 May 2012 10:22:58 BDT
J. H says:
I cry at anything!!!

In reply to an earlier post on 31 May 2012 10:25:02 BDT
The bit that always got me on Remembrance Day is when the poppies representing the fallen fall from the roof... there are just sooooo many.

Posted on 31 May 2012 10:27:21 BDT
Susan C says:
Rather like Campievanner, the Remembrance Day services and visiting war cemeteries always sets me off crying. And whilst I find war museums extremely interesting, I have had to rush out occasionally because I was starting to actually sob. Worst of all, though, was a visit/pilgrimage to Dachau: bizarrely, I didn't cry whilst there, but then couldn't stop crying 2 days later after the immensity of it finally started to sink in. I really shouldn't go to these places, but I think those who died and suffered during such terrible events should always be remembered. It breaks my heart to think of what they went through. (All of this is, I'm sure, due to me getting hold of a book on the Holocaust from my dad's bookshelves when I was very young. I was a precocious reader and thought at first that it must just be a horrible story - until I saw the photos. Cue my poor mum facing a lot of very difficult questions afterwards from a devastated child who couldn't understand how people had done such a thing to others.)

Oddly enough, I don't cry much in public, with the exception of sad TV shows or films involving animals (and occasionally people!) My mum stopped me watching Tom & Jerry for a while because I used to get so upset at what happened to poor Tom. A book is somehow much more likely to make me cry than a film. I think that I find sad books and films to be an effective form of catharsis, perhaps even more so because I try to keep a stiff upper lip in public.

My husband hardly ever reads, but he does blub at some TV and films. He used to be embarrassed about it until he noticed that I tended to blub along with him!

Posted on 31 May 2012 10:41:50 BDT
Ethereal says:
At Dachau it's true what they say that birds don't sing, that's what struck everyone who was there when I was. I was too awestruck to cry at the time.

I've cried at films and some novels have brought a tear to my eye but what blew me away was reading a sci-fi short story (which isn't even my preferred genre) where the ending was terribly poignant.
Within so few words that takes talent (sadly I can't promo the author because it was a competition winner in an old Mslexia magazine and unless you buy the back copy which is only of interest to writers, you won't be able to read it).

In reply to an earlier post on 31 May 2012 10:43:43 BDT
Denis Powell says:
Fi, for some weeks we had a Bluetit trying to get into houses in my street, possibly trying to nest, but then it discovered the wing mirrors on my car. That got him/her so excited that bowel movements seemed to occur about every 5 seconds.

Next door's chickens have discovered that if they "sit" on the fence they can squirt straight into my garden pond. Is there still a market for Guarno?

In reply to an earlier post on 31 May 2012 10:46:00 BDT
Fi esta says:
No Denis, that's not helping either! Perhaps I should phone work and book a 'sickie'...

Posted on 31 May 2012 10:47:38 BDT
Campievanner says:
Watched a film when I was young about Edith Cavell and when the Germans shot her at the end I cried buckets putting my head under the cushions (I dont know what it was called or seen it since) but we visited the Imperial War Museum and they have the cell door and other items. Yes the hankie came out not sure what the other visitors thought (there again I dont worry)
Awww Susan C - I am sure your Mum helped.

Posted on 31 May 2012 10:57:15 BDT
Yes. And at films.

In reply to an earlier post on 31 May 2012 11:01:27 BDT
Denis Powell says:
You're probably thinking of Nurse Edith Cavell [DVD] [1939]

Posted on 31 May 2012 11:41:26 BDT
have you read Boy in the Stripped Pyjamas. The ending really made me cry. I was laid out by the pool on holiday at the time (not really light holiday reading) and tried to pretend I had hayfever.

Posted on 31 May 2012 11:45:41 BDT
Scarlet Lady says:
I even cry at Adverts on the Television - And yes when reading my Kindle - get some funny looks on the Jubilee Line!

In reply to an earlier post on 31 May 2012 11:48:19 BDT
frenchie says:
oh yes, I remember this, K.A. And Bambi, and The Fox and the Hound, and more... lol

In reply to an earlier post on 31 May 2012 11:49:31 BDT
frenchie says:
now, I am crying but of laughter Denis.

Posted on 31 May 2012 11:53:08 BDT
masai mara says:
Julie Jazz
Have read the book
And watched the film in horror.
The ending left me stunned...

Posted on 31 May 2012 11:58:20 BDT
I don't cry at fiction but can get a bit choked at real life incidents especially if children are involved.Probably due to what my job was I got a wee bit hardened but never where children were involved and could not be seen to be too emotional at the incident.

In reply to an earlier post on 31 May 2012 12:06:48 BDT
frenchie says:
Ethereal says:
''At Dachau it's true what they say that birds don't sing, that's what struck everyone who was there when I was. I was too awestruck to cry at the time.''

when I was a child, we visited not a concentration camp, but a village that had been bombed, burned and gased by the nazis, Oradour sur Glane, near Limoges in France (the men were hunged and the rest gunned down and the women and children burned in the church). I can remember the silence. It was so eerie. Birds would not sing either there and it was very oppressive. You could see the birds but not hear them. It was like they remembered. The municipality preserved the site as it was and you could just visualize family lives, as plates were still on the tables , dishes ready to be served. We saw the burned and gased church. I had nightmares for months after that.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the kindle discussion forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
Announcement
Software Update for Kindle Paperwhite, Kindle Voyage and £59 Kindle.
87 2 days ago
Announcement
Introducing the all-new Fire HD 6 and 7 and Fire HDX 8.9!
285 6 days ago
Announcement
Amazon Introduces Two All-New Kindles
240 10 days ago
Announcement
NEWS: Kindle Paperwhite Software Update 5.4.5
95 14 days ago
Announcement
NEWS: Kindle Paperwhite Previous Generation Software Update Version 5.4.4
276 12 days ago
Announcement
NEWS: Kindle Paperwhite Software Update Version 5.4.3
188 26 Jul 2014
Announcement
Kindle Paperwhite Software Update Version 5.4.2
359 13 Jun 2014
Announcement
Kindle Paperwhite (Previous Generation) Software Update Version 5.3.9
62 28 Oct 2014
Announcement
NEWS: Kindle Touch Software Update Version 5.3.7
87 29 Jun 2014
Announcement
NEWS: Kindle Paperwhite Update Version 5.3.6
105 16 Nov 2014
Announcement
New Kindle Help Forum Now Available
0 5 Jun 2013
Announcement
NEWS: Kindle Paperwhite Update version 5.3.5
62 6 Aug 2013

More Customer Discussions

Most active community forums
Most active product forums

Amazon forums

This discussion

Discussion in:  kindle discussion forum
Participants:  38
Total posts:  196
Initial post:  31 May 2012
Latest post:  12 Jun 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions