Customer Discussions > kindle discussion forum

Can't read when plugged into USB

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 28 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 14 May 2012 00:51:55 BDT
Britabroad says:
Hi there, I have tried ejecting my Kindle from the PC but leaving the cable attached to charge it. The screen never changes from the USB Drive Mode screen and I cannot do anything with it. This is not an isolated incidence as I have had three Kindle's so far all with the same problem. Anyone got any ideas please?

I have contacted Kindle and they say it's a faulty unit and I should return it, but I don't want the hassle of it again. Surely THREE Kindles can't all have the same fault?

Posted on 14 May 2012 01:22:00 BDT
P E says:
Buy a USB plug and stop charging from your pc.

Posted on 14 May 2012 01:27:14 BDT
Britabroad says:
Thanks P E, I'll try that. THough it doesn't help in the short term and I should be able to use it when charging from the USB according to the Kindle itself :(

Posted on 14 May 2012 01:30:24 BDT
nephran says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

Posted on 14 May 2012 01:33:12 BDT
P E says:
Yes, you're correct. You should be able to eject yet still charge.

I've never used the pc to charge, but from reading other posts in here it seems the eject depends on which op you're using.

Do you have a phone charger with a micro USB port handy? It work as a charger for your kindle as well.

Or just eject it from the pc, make sure your wifi is of, read for tonight and worry about getting a plug tomorrow. :)

In reply to an earlier post on 14 May 2012 01:36:34 BDT
P E says:
Oh grief Meses. By the same token, get out the forum for a few hours. :)

In reply to an earlier post on 14 May 2012 01:36:36 BDT
Britabroad says:
Your answer is not only unhelpful, but ignorant and rude. If you cannot make constructive suggestions then don't bother to answer!

In reply to an earlier post on 14 May 2012 01:44:01 BDT
P E says:
Trolls. Sigh. Never mind.

I hope you get sorted well enough for your reading tonight, Britabroad.

If you have a bit of a charge and your wifi is off, you should be fine, I hope.

In reply to an earlier post on 14 May 2012 01:51:51 BDT
Britabroad says:
PE. I have just spoken to a chat help person who suggested updating the software, which I have to admit I had not give a thought to. Just done it and it hasn't made a blind bit of difference! I think it is a fault in the Kindle 4 generally as both my daughters and 2 friends have them and we all have the same problem :( Come on AMAZON get this sorted. It must be just a programming fault surely.

Thanks for your helpful advice. Think I might have to read an old fashioned book tonight as the battery is dead and I want to get to bed. Thanks again. Night night.

Posted on 14 May 2012 02:27:48 BDT
P E says:
I just did a 'search all discussions' and this came up as very common problem that is easily resolved by using a USB plug.

I suggest buying several and sharing them round. :)

In reply to an earlier post on 14 May 2012 05:57:06 BDT
Denis Powell says:
Britabroad, you don't say which Kindle you have but if it's not the Touch the method of ejecting varies according to the version of Windows you have. If the Kindle is a K4 then ejecting using the "Safely Remove" option next to the clock only works if you have Windows XP. The correct method for Vista and 7 is via "Computer" and right clicking on the Kindle icon in the folder tree and selecting "Eject".

Posted on 14 May 2012 06:47:40 BDT
Ferret says:
As usual Denis has given what I think to be the correct answer. The clue is that the OP said all his Kindles behaved the same way i.e. not likely to be a fault. It's a feature of Vista and Windows 7.

Posted on 14 May 2012 07:17:32 BDT
Last edited by the author on 14 May 2012 07:18:59 BDT
Kulana says:
Britaband, I second Ferret's agreement with Denis. I have a K3+3G. I used the 'Safely Remove Hardware and Eject Media' on my PC and my Kindle screen stayed like yours. However, using the "...icon in the folder tree..." method as Denis proposed, worked for me.

Posted on 14 May 2012 07:19:20 BDT
Suze says:
After reading all the posts people have about charging their kindles on the pc I'm really glad I use a plug and charge from the mains. There is none of the faffing about with eject and stuff, just plug and go.

In reply to an earlier post on 14 May 2012 07:29:00 BDT
CBRetriever says:
(KINDLE FORUM PRO)
me too - plus it's usually faster

Posted on 14 May 2012 07:37:10 BDT
Denis Powell says:
I've never connected my Touch or K4 to my Laptop as I have no need to, and only used to connect my K3 in order to copy over photo documents that were too large to email. In fact my Kindles and Laptop are rarely in the same room. If I want to put personal documents on any of them I usually use the new "Send to Kindle" feature for Windows and only occasionally email. I've only ever charged from the mains.

In reply to an earlier post on 14 May 2012 08:07:02 BDT
Damaskcat says:
This is not a fault with the Kindle and doesn't need sorting! It's a fault with the users who don't read the instructions applicable to the operating system they happen to have on their PCs.

Posted on 14 May 2012 08:42:12 BDT
Ferret says:
It became apparent when I changed from XP to 7. Not everybody reads all the instructions (I certainly don't) but simple deduction suggested where the problem lay (not that it is one - once you know about it).

In reply to an earlier post on 14 May 2012 11:47:37 BDT
Britabroad says:
Denis, you are a genius. Thank you so much. It works like a charm, for me at least. I did say they are all Kindle 4 (Not the touch version.) However, at least one of the other people runs a Mac PC and one has XP so they are all having the same problem despite being on different operating systems. I'll let them find their own solutions, but will suggest they try you answer. THANK YOU :)

Posted on 14 May 2012 12:40:09 BDT
big mac says:
I had same problem while using the the plug supplied with my kindle 3 but after using my charger for my mobile in the kindle the problem seemed to solve itself. Have friends who have tried this and it seems to work

Posted on 14 May 2012 12:41:54 BDT
P E says:
I'm pleased you're sorted out now Britabroad. :)

Posted on 14 May 2012 12:44:01 BDT
Britabroad says:
Thanks P E. Now, how do we close this discussion? LOL

Posted on 14 May 2012 13:14:58 BDT
P E says:
Oh I'm sure it'll drift off topic now...

So what did you end up reading last night? ;)

In reply to an earlier post on 14 May 2012 13:28:22 BDT
[Deleted by Amazon on 14 May 2012 15:02:49 BDT]

In reply to an earlier post on 14 May 2012 13:45:39 BDT
Denis Powell says:
Britabroad, the Kindle User's Guide gives instructions for all operating systems, including Mac OS. It's one of the books on your Kindle and well worth reading as it gives lots of useful information and trouble-shooting tips. Open it and search "Eject" to find the location.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

More Customer Discussions

Most active community forums
Most active product forums

Amazon forums
ARRAY(0xb443a0a8)

This discussion

Discussion in:  kindle discussion forum
Participants:  12
Total posts:  28
Initial post:  14 May 2012
Latest post:  14 May 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions