usb drive mode
if you want to use your kindle please eject from computer
currently your kindle is not charging
i.ve tried 3 different usbs 1st one i tried charged it up ok when i got it
don't have a mains charger

Posted on 8 May 2012 00:06:03 BDT
Last edited by the author on 8 May 2012 00:09:31 BDT
Lee says:
you just need to buy the plug as the lead fits into that, it's much much faster to charge.
Amazon e-Reader Power Adaptor, UK (Type G) USB charger for Amazon eReaders
as soon as you plug into your PC it should be charging? once you finished charging you can either just unplug which should be safe to do as no files are transferring or to be extra safe click on the little hidden icon symbol on the right hand side of your toolbar and click the symbol to safely remove the Kindle.

Posted on 8 May 2012 00:06:52 BDT
Alan says:
Hmm, I had a Kindle with Mains charger which was fine. Not sure what to suggest, sorry. Hope you get it sorted OK. What does the Amazon Kindle help page say?

In reply to an earlier post on 8 May 2012 00:22:02 BDT
Your orange light shows it's charging,at the bottom of the screen there is a battery symbol with a flash through it that's it charging when fully charged the light will turn green,only eject from by using the taskbar if you want to read or shop as per message,otherwise just leave it until the green light comes on.

Posted on 8 May 2012 00:47:45 BDT
wee dug orange light comes on and i get the screen with battery charging showing for about 10secs then the screen says
usb drive mode
if you want to use your kindle please eject from computer
currently your kindle is not charging

In reply to an earlier post on 8 May 2012 06:44:09 BDT
Denis Powell says:
Who's Wee Dug, ejecting via the Task Bar is appropriate for the Touch when using any Windows operating system, but for the Keyboard Kindle and the K4 the "eject" methods differ according to which version of Windows you have. To use the wrong method risks files on the Kindle becoming corrupted.

If you have Windows Vista or Windows 7 you need to click on "Computer", right click on the Kindle Drive icon in the folder tree and select "Eject" from the pop-up menu.

In reply to an earlier post on 8 May 2012 06:46:27 BDT
Denis Powell says:
Mrs. Johnston, if you have a mobile phone charge with a micro-USB plug on the end that will also charge your Kindle. You can buy mains adapters with USB sockets in many stores for less than Amazon charge for the Amazon branded version.

In reply to an earlier post on 8 May 2012 07:31:13 BDT
Suze says:
If you have a phone charger with a micro usb, you can use that safely to charge your kindle from the mains. Using the mains is much easier and if you don't have a phone charger handy you can buy usb plugs from your local supermarket, usually for much less than a fiver. Also, check out your nearest pound shop at well because they sell them sometimes.

Posted on 8 May 2012 08:12:58 BDT
Simply Dee says:
I had the same issue as you last week.....follow Denis' instructions - it works that way.

Posted on 8 May 2012 12:26:53 BDT
Ferret says:
I have been ejecting my Kindle the old way on Windows 7 and although the screen doesn't change, I've not had any problem with corrupted files. I'm using Denis's way now.

Posted on 8 May 2012 12:33:02 BDT
hi thanks for replies
seems to have a new problem now or might be connected
when i turn on all i get is archived items i never archived them(haven't found out how yet lol) it won't put them back on keeps saying download failed
tried to do it from here but that didn't work either
should i just phone amazon

Posted on 8 May 2012 14:00:37 BDT
hi after searching forum sorted above problem by resetting back to factory so got all my books back only the battery to sort(will get a mains charger weds when in town)

Posted on 8 May 2012 14:41:27 BDT
Last edited by the author on 8 May 2012 14:48:35 BDT
K. A. Newton says:
Hi

I got this charger from Amazon website £3-94 with delivery free on supersaver delivery.

Premium 1AMP (1000mAh) XtraPower Micro USB Mains Wall Charger for Amazon Kindle Range 1,2,3 & 4 (The All New Kindle) / Kindle Fire / Kindle Touch, Touch 3G Tablet / PaperWhite - Extended Length Cable (includes charging indicating light)

Black plug with a yellow light when plugged in. Light stays on even when you disconnect the Kindle. Lead is 120cm. long. Has the little USB end which fits in your Kindle. Just check which way is up when you plug it in the Kindle.

I ordered it the same time as the Kindle Touch.

Glad I did because it took a lot less time to charge than with the little white lead plugged in my laptop.
Your reply to K. A. Newton's post:
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)

In reply to an earlier post on 8 May 2012 15:40:30 BDT
Willber G says:
Now it's £1.95 - but as delivery is £1.99 it will still cost £3.94!

Posted on 9 May 2012 01:40:46 BDT
thanks k a newton just ordered it so hopefully got enough of a charge left till it arrives

Posted on 9 May 2012 15:59:50 BDT
P. F. May says:
Plugs are £1 in the Pound shops, USB leads also

In reply to an earlier post on 9 May 2012 17:29:26 BDT
Brian says:
yes , it seems that they're almost
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the kindle discussion forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
Announcement
Introducing the all-new Fire HD 6 and 7 and Fire HDX 8.9!
3 56 minutes ago
Announcement
Amazon Introduces Two All-New Kindles
44 31 seconds ago
Announcement
NEWS: Kindle Paperwhite Software Update 5.4.5
87 8 days ago
Announcement
NEWS: Kindle Paperwhite Previous Generation Software Update Version 5.4.4
274 12 days ago
Announcement
NEWS: Kindle Paperwhite Software Update Version 5.4.3
188 26 Jul 2014
Announcement
Kindle Paperwhite Software Update Version 5.4.2
359 13 Jun 2014
Announcement
Kindle Paperwhite (Previous Generation) Software Update Version 5.3.9
58 6 Jul 2014
Announcement
NEWS: Kindle Touch Software Update Version 5.3.7
87 29 Jun 2014
Announcement
NEWS: Kindle Paperwhite Update Version 5.3.6
101 25 Apr 2014
Announcement
New Kindle Help Forum Now Available
0 5 Jun 2013
Announcement
NEWS: Kindle Paperwhite Update version 5.3.5
62 6 Aug 2013
Announcement
Important Announcement from Amazon
697 18 Aug 2014

More Customer Discussions

Most active community forums
Most active product forums

Amazon forums

This discussion

Discussion in:  kindle discussion forum
Participants:  12
Total posts:  17
Initial post:  7 May 2012
Latest post:  9 May 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions