Customer Discussions > kindle discussion forum

Got a Kindle Touch but would also like to use my Laptop too

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-8 of 8 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on 19 Jun 2012 08:02:41 BDT
Denis Powell says:
K A, Calibre is a free programme so you can download and install it on as many PCs/Laptops as you like. I'm not aware of any way of syncing it between devices however which is the reason I catalogue all my books on a spreadsheet. It's easy to copy to any device including my Tablet, and I can copy the title and author columns to a Word doc and send that to my Kindle so that I always have an up-to-date list of all my books readily available.

I can't answer many questions on Calibre as I very rarely use it. It's excellent at what it does but I've only used it twice in the last 6 months and that was to convert a personal document to ePub.

Posted on 18 Jun 2012 20:02:10 BDT
Suze says:
KA, I don't think Calibre can sync to another Calibre, but Denis might know better. You might be better copying it to a pen drive and loading it onto the other laptop that way. You can have Calibre on as many laptops as you like really.
Yes, I do mean when your kindles wifi is turned on it collect the info and this sorts out which page you are on.

I love your grandmother :-)

Posted on 18 Jun 2012 08:14:26 BDT
Last edited by the author on 18 Jun 2012 08:20:34 BDT
K. A. Newton says:
Suze

Read up a bit on Calibre - The Listing program I mentioned in my first message on this thread but could not remember the name of.

Can I put Calibre on both my laptops (in case one dies on me) and would the two Calibre's synch with each other, and if so how would they do this.

Also in your last message on this thread "When you turn your Kindle on do a synch when you open a book etc" How would the Kindle do this.

Do you mean when my Kindle is turned on to wireless it collects info left by my laptop or would both laptops and Kindle have to be connected to Amazon at the same time. Bit bewildering for the old brain to take in.

My grandmother freaked out at the TV and would ask passerbys to come in and switch the magic box on for me every day. What she would have made of all this I don't know..

In reply to an earlier post on 17 Jun 2012 18:02:47 BDT
Suze says:
KA, yes you can. It will auto download to where you specify when you one click and on the other apps, just download it from your archive. You can also sync so you can read the same book on whatever you feel like, which means you can read on your laptop, then decide to read the same book on your kindle. When you turn your kindle on do a sync when you open a book and it should take you to the same place you left of on your laptop.
Sounds confusing I know, so you're better just playing about with the kindle apps and see what works best for you.

Posted on 17 Jun 2012 16:19:31 BDT
Last edited by the author on 17 Jun 2012 16:21:25 BDT
Once you buy a Kindle book, it is in your account, and you can download it to as many devices as you have registered to that account. I use a Kindle plus two laptops. My husband has a Kindle and a laptop. They are all on the same account, so any book one of us has bought can be sent to just one machine, or to all five if required.

You should find that all purchases are listed in your Archive. Clicking an item will download it to the device you are using. Alternatively, go to "Manage your Kindle" at Amazon, select the item from your list of purchases and use the drop-box to send it to whichever destination you prefer.

Once it's in your account, the book will stay there, even if you don't have it active on any device. So that when your Kindle or your computer reaches the end of its life and has to be replaced, you can download everything you want to your new one as soon as it's registered to your existing account.

I hope that helps! :-D

P.S. One of my laptops is Windows 7, the other is an old XP machine. They both work just fine with Kindle!

In reply to an earlier post on 17 Jun 2012 16:09:27 BDT
K. A. Newton says:
Princess,

does this mean I can download the same book to my kindle and to both my laptops as long as the laptops are registered

It said something about not needing to log in to Amazon any more. Is that just for e-books. Bit worried about that in case my laptop got stolen.

Posted on 17 Jun 2012 15:41:53 BDT
Princess says:
Hi, I'll try to answer some of them!

You can download PC for Kindle to several laptops. You buy in exactly the same way as you do at the moment, there is no difference. All books you download or have downloaded, you can send to your kindle or your laptop via Kindle for PC. I don't know what a listing program is but I just downloaded Kindle for PC and away you go.

I hope this helps.

Initial post: 17 Jun 2012 15:30:47 BDT
Last edited by the author on 17 Jun 2012 15:35:15 BDT
K. A. Newton says:
My Kindle Touch is great. If I download the Apps so I can use my Laptop how does it work.

After registering my laptop - does that mean each time I buy an e-book I will have to indicate it is to be downloaded to my Kindle or my Laptop.

Will the e-books downloading to either Kindle or Laptop come off my gift voucher balance as they do now, will doing this affect the way I buy and pay for e-books for my Kindle.

If I have downloaded to LapTop will I be able to transfer it to my Kindle or can I after downloading to either can I download the item again to the other appliance from my Amazon library.

Would you advice me to get that listing program put on my laptop first ?

Just had a blip with my Vista laptop - would not start up - and for a few days used an old XP laptop. Could I use the XP laptop to log in to Amazon and buy e-books for downloading to my Kindle ?

Can I download the App for PC on to my little XP Laptop if my usual laptop fails again so I could use that to read the e-books in the Amazon Library.

Sorry, what a lot of questions to ask.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the kindle discussion forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
Announcement
Software Update for Kindle Paperwhite, Kindle Voyage and £59 Kindle.
108 10 days ago
Announcement
Introducing the all-new Fire HD 6 and 7 and Fire HDX 8.9!
307 1 day ago
Announcement
Amazon Introduces Two All-New Kindles
246 31 Dec 2014
Announcement
NEWS: Kindle Paperwhite Software Update 5.4.5
99 19 days ago
Announcement
NEWS: Kindle Paperwhite Previous Generation Software Update Version 5.4.4
279 15 Jan 2015
Announcement
NEWS: Kindle Paperwhite Software Update Version 5.4.3
188 26 Jul 2014
Announcement
Kindle Paperwhite Software Update Version 5.4.2
359 13 Jun 2014
Announcement
Kindle Paperwhite (Previous Generation) Software Update Version 5.3.9
62 28 Oct 2014
Announcement
NEWS: Kindle Touch Software Update Version 5.3.7
87 29 Jun 2014
Announcement
NEWS: Kindle Paperwhite Update Version 5.3.6
111 4 days ago
Announcement
New Kindle Help Forum Now Available
0 5 Jun 2013
Announcement
NEWS: Kindle Paperwhite Update version 5.3.5
62 6 Aug 2013

More Customer Discussions

Most active community forums
Most active product forums

Amazon forums

This discussion

Discussion in:  kindle discussion forum
Participants:  5
Total posts:  8
Initial post:  17 Jun 2012
Latest post:  19 Jun 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions