Customer Discussions > kindle discussion forum

Kindle Fire HD - Organising Books

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 67 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 25 Oct 2012 20:39:28 BDT
Gnome says:
Good news is I received my kindle fire HD today :-)

But I am really struggling how to organise my books, I have nearly 800 and I need to sort them into folders, my wife can do this on her Kindle 3G and sort books into collections but I am really struggling to discover how to do this on my Fire. I would appreciate any guidance on how to do this.

Regards

Nick

In reply to an earlier post on 25 Oct 2012 20:47:54 BDT
Denis Powell says:
Gnome, as far as I'm aware there is no Collection facility on any of the Android apps so I don't believe the Fire has it either.

Posted on 25 Oct 2012 20:50:24 BDT
Last edited by the author on 25 Oct 2012 20:51:33 BDT
CBRetriever says:
there is no way to create Collections on a Kindle Fire and if you use your computer to put them in folders, then the kindle won't "see" them

it's a long time (over a year) complaint over at amazon.com and since the new Fires came out w/o the ability to create collections...

Posted on 25 Oct 2012 20:52:30 BDT
Nutty Helen says:
I have the original Kindle Fire from the US and this is the main thing I dislike about it.
I have found that the best way for me as I have other people on my account is to only download the books I most want to read and add the might read to the favourites
Folders would be great but.......

Posted on 26 Oct 2012 07:10:50 BDT
Gnome says:
This really is bad news, how can they put a product out that takes a step backwards.

Anyone know of an App that fills this gap ?

Regards

Nick

Posted on 26 Oct 2012 07:38:15 BDT
JackBauer says:
total waste of space amazon. if id have known u cant organise ur book collection. i wouldnt have bothered with the kindle fire. id have gotten the ipad. esp as the kindle app works exactly the same as it does here.

In reply to an earlier post on 26 Oct 2012 07:39:20 BDT
Suze says:
Jack if you don't like the Fire you have 30 days to return it.

Posted on 26 Oct 2012 07:58:09 BDT
JackBauer says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on 26 Oct 2012 08:08:18 BDT
Suze says:
It does seem a step backward. From what I can gather with the cloud, purchases from Amazon don't use any of your storage allowance, so it isn't that. I don't use many collections but wouldn't like to be without them.

In reply to an earlier post on 26 Oct 2012 08:08:52 BDT
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

Posted on 26 Oct 2012 08:17:05 BDT
CBRetriever says:
if you'd asked ahead of time over at the amazon.com forums, you would have known the Fires have never had Collections and the android apps don't either as far as i know

In reply to an earlier post on 26 Oct 2012 09:28:27 BDT
Denis Powell says:
Jack I don't believe Kindle for Ipad has Collections either. I think it's only Kindle for PC that has Collections.

In reply to an earlier post on 26 Oct 2012 21:15:59 BDT
Rach says:
web search on kindle fire book collections brings up a result on amazon.com in the appstore for an app called book collections for $2.99 which looks like it should do the job. I've had a quick look on uk amazon but haven't found it yet,so may have to buy it from US site only.

Posted on 27 Oct 2012 18:19:28 BDT
Gnome says:
Well this morning I purchased the "Book Collection" app and sorted out all my 800 odd books, the app just about does what I need. That is the good news.

About 30 minutes ago my Kindle Fire then receives an update which it installed (with no yes/no question to ask me if I want the update). The result is that the update utterly wiped my kindle, all my apps and and books need to be re-downloaded again and I have to reconfigure every single application which includes book collector and re-sorting all my books again !!!

Nick

In reply to an earlier post on 18 Dec 2012 09:11:30 GMT
Bartholmew says:
Hi Nick - just read your October note re the update, has this happened since? should I buy the book collection app would you recommend?
VB

In reply to an earlier post on 18 Dec 2012 22:53:14 GMT
Gnome says:
No reset has occurred since the one I mentioned above, but I am not using the app now as I find it has a number of failings. It appears to scan the whole of the kindle and finds all sorts of files that are not books and that can not be displayed (over 1000). Additionally if you copy across any documents (e.g. word files), these are picked up as "books" and you need to file these as well.

I found the app took too much effort for me to make it of any use.

Regards

Nick

Posted on 30 Dec 2012 10:03:17 GMT
you can download es Explorer create folders under book and manage them always with es. when you open book es use book reader apps standard kindle

In reply to an earlier post on 30 Dec 2012 15:30:22 GMT
Gnome says:
I love es Explorer as a utility but it does not solve the problem, given that when you browse to the books folder, all the books are called "B00xxxxxx_EBOK.prc" etc. Unless there is an easy way to translate these into something more meaningful.

Regards

Nick

Posted on 30 Dec 2012 20:43:38 GMT
Can't believe that I can't see my 'collections' on my Christmas present, the kindle fire hd. I already have them setup on my old style kindle. Amazon has a lot to answer for taking a backward step. This should quickly be developed and offered free of charge to all fire customers! This has made me really mad!

In reply to an earlier post on 30 Dec 2012 21:25:16 GMT
Last edited by the author on 30 Dec 2012 21:26:15 GMT
Denis Powell says:
Collections on e-ink are very similar to Word Documents that just contain active links to the books. I suspect it's quite easy to do on an e-ink Kindle due to the operating system being open source.

As the Fire and other Android tablets would, I think, require a form of Word document creation facility built into the operating system or into the reading app itself licensing could be an expensive issue.

Personally speaking I have far to many ebooks to want to store them on any device, and many more than will fit on a Paperwhite so I've found another cataloguing system that includes books both on the device and in the Cloud.

For the limited number of books I have on my Fire the "BooksCollections" app does everything I need.

Posted on 1 Jan 2013 17:20:56 GMT
Phippsy says:
Can some one please advise.. I have been bought the fire hd for christmas.. it hasnt transfered any of the folders!!
Is there an app that works, as unfortunately this was purchased sometime before christmas and I can not return for obvious reasons

In reply to an earlier post on 6 Apr 2013 14:20:42 BDT
Marzipan says:
The only one I could find which does (sort of) that job is "Collections", which you can find on the Kindle App Store (think it was around €2). It's not perfect, but it helps. The thing I don't like is that the "Books" folder on the device is still filled with all books un-categorised...you only see them in their categories by actually going into the app itself. Friends with much older (incl. the original) Kindles are able to set up categories for their books...weird that it can't be done on the state-of-the-art models!

Posted on 26 Apr 2013 20:15:52 BDT
Bought the fire for my wife who has hundreds of books (old kindle bust). Now find no book collections option on fire. Fire going back tomorrow. Very disappointed with the fire, adverts I have to pay to have removed, no plug, no instructions, can't turn email off and that's only after two days. Too many flaws don't trust there aren't more. Shame it seemed great in g he first hour!

In reply to an earlier post on 26 Apr 2013 22:19:23 BDT
Last edited by the author on 26 Apr 2013 22:21:13 BDT
Denis Powell says:
You could have bought the version without the Special Offers. The User Guide installed on the Device is excellent, in my opinion, and I have no trouble turning email off.

It will soon be illegal, in the EU to sell any small electrical gadget with a charger so you'll need to get used to that but you can charge the Fire using your existing Kindle charger.

In reply to an earlier post on 26 Apr 2013 22:27:14 BDT
I checked with Amazon direct and they said it couldn't be done - so sounds as if some confusion exists. Do you have a solution for inability to store books in collections, as original kindle. Amazon also say this isn't an option at the moment.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the kindle discussion forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
Announcement
Introducing the all-new Fire HD 6 and 7 and Fire HDX 8.9!
29 1 day ago
Announcement
Amazon Introduces Two All-New Kindles
122 28 minutes ago
Announcement
NEWS: Kindle Paperwhite Software Update 5.4.5
87 12 days ago
Announcement
NEWS: Kindle Paperwhite Previous Generation Software Update Version 5.4.4
274 17 days ago
Announcement
NEWS: Kindle Paperwhite Software Update Version 5.4.3
188 26 Jul 2014
Announcement
Kindle Paperwhite Software Update Version 5.4.2
359 13 Jun 2014
Announcement
Kindle Paperwhite (Previous Generation) Software Update Version 5.3.9
58 6 Jul 2014
Announcement
NEWS: Kindle Touch Software Update Version 5.3.7
87 29 Jun 2014
Announcement
NEWS: Kindle Paperwhite Update Version 5.3.6
101 25 Apr 2014
Announcement
New Kindle Help Forum Now Available
0 5 Jun 2013
Announcement
NEWS: Kindle Paperwhite Update version 5.3.5
62 6 Aug 2013
Announcement
Important Announcement from Amazon
697 18 Aug 2014

This discussion

Discussion in:  kindle discussion forum
Participants:  21
Total posts:  67
Initial post:  25 Oct 2012
Latest post:  14 Jul 2014

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 11 customers

Search Customer Discussions