Customer Discussions > kindle discussion forum

Can I download movies to my Kindle Fire HD?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 129 posts in this discussion
Posted on 26 Dec 2013 03:09:24 GMT
I say again. Kindle Books, Kindle Music... Kindle Films. It's a massive market that would do the Kibdle no harm for advertising. How we would love to fill your 'Free unlimited cloud storage' with dozens of films to pick and grab at our leisure. Make it happen Amazon!

In reply to an earlier post on 25 Dec 2013 19:31:13 GMT
CH2011 says:
Relatively easily !!! I'm tech savy but you can't get away from the fact that Amazon have shafted all of us UK kindle owners with love film. Film studios and TV stations have not made a deal with Amazon UK to allow direct purchasing of movies and TV to download to the device as you can with a CD/Autorip, MP3s, games, apps and books. US Citizens can purchase and download Movies and TV Direct from Amazon.com (US). Of course cracking and converting DVDs via various software will allow you to get movies onto your kindle but what a hassle for the 21st century. The answer is buy an IPad or IPad Mini or Touch or I-phone. I-tunes is still the best way to easily download movies on to a compatible device which is not a UK registerd Kindle !!! Apples' I-tunes has a ten year head start on everyone else and it shows. Yes it can be expensive but Amazon UK really need to get the rights to allow us lazy kindle owners to purchase and download content direct. Having owned a Fire HD 8.9 32gb for 8 months I have become increasingly disappointed with the performance of the device, despite multiple restarts it has become slow and unresponsive something I have not noticed on any of my Apple devices. I knew the pifalls before buying and I also knew an updated IPad mini with retina would be out before the end of 2013 but still gave the Kindle a go. There are clearly bugs with the Kindle OS that have not been sorted out. Hopefully one day Amazon UK will sort out direct purchasing of video content. Until then I'll be adding to my already extensive I-tunes library and begrudgingly Apples profits.
IPads and I-tunes are great and intuitive products and rightly have many fans. I like my UK registered Fire HD in many ways but it is flawed and heavy. THE HDX is lighter but until Amazon (UK) can offer UK citizens the same as US citizens, in terms of downloadable video content, it will mearly be the pretender to the throne.
One device, one button downloads, one love.........we are not there yet but come on Amazon UK give us something that gets closer to that holy grail.......there is clearly money in it !!!

Posted on 17 Oct 2013 17:03:41 BDT
MikeeyBoy says:
If you have access to another android device with google play it can be done relatively easliy. Many websites out there have instructions
I had to download some google framework features I now have google play movies on my kindle and can download films.- kids love it on car journeys. You have to buy them on the other android device

In reply to an earlier post on 14 Oct 2013 19:34:30 BDT
Denis Powell says:
This thread already covers just about everything you can do. I'm not sure what extra help you want.

Posted on 14 Oct 2013 19:25:06 BDT
[Deleted by the author on 14 Oct 2013 19:26:13 BDT]

Posted on 14 Oct 2013 19:23:50 BDT
Yeah I can't get movies on my hd and I'm going to Egypt in3 days.

Help me out please

In reply to an earlier post on 13 Oct 2013 16:49:27 BDT
Denis Powell says:
In the Cloud tab of your Fire.

In reply to an earlier post on 13 Oct 2013 15:23:09 BDT
book bean says:
where do I find the personal video app ? please

In reply to an earlier post on 6 Jul 2013 02:27:19 BDT
It's very easy to convert a file. Type what you want to do into Google. It takes less time than typing your original post and reply.
By now you should have a conversion programme that works very nicely.

As only you know what you want to do, why you want to do it, how you want to do it and upon what devices you wish to do it nobody else can help you.

Google is your friend. Any technical knowledge, explained in simple terms, is available there for whatever you want to do. Probabaly how you found this exact forum...

In reply to an earlier post on 6 Jul 2013 00:37:21 BDT
M. Anderson says:
I dont mind paying a subscription for a programme that works (and most of all is simple to use) but I dont see the point nor at my age want to repurchase a collection already bought over the years. I have never deliberately downloaded anything illegal and bought the kindle HD because they told me before purchase it was easy to put videos already on the desktop which is a pretty big paid for and legal collection of films. As an older disabled person I am sadly lacking in technical knowledge but the kindle fire is a boon when sick and stuck in bed - why do some people have to be nasty when some people just want genuine help.

In reply to an earlier post on 6 Jul 2013 00:31:56 BDT
hmcgrehan says:
Go into the App Store on your kindle and download the VLC player. Connect your kindle to your computer and just drag and drop the movies into the movie folder. When you then go into your kindle to play it won't be under the movies tab - you go into the VLC player under apps and you will then have to go into the movie folder that you dragged the movies into. Hopefully that will help as I had the same problem and can now play any of my movies! :)

In reply to an earlier post on 5 Jul 2013 22:56:27 BDT
Google, as always, is your friend. You will find more file conversion programmes you can count. The very best ones cost money - you get what you pay for.
Of ourse, DRM is another matter. If you haven't worked out or found out how to do these things after months of trying then you should consider giving up and acquiring your video by legal means.

In reply to an earlier post on 5 Jul 2013 20:52:01 BDT
DaveyH says:
As has already been said in this thread, download VLC Player - it can handle a lot of file formats.

Posted on 5 Jul 2013 20:51:38 BDT
M. Anderson says:
Regretfully we have been trying for several months to do the same thing and have yet found any programme that will successfully convert - there seem to be people here who are giving countless tips of ideas to try but none have worked for us. It would be marvellous to find a way.

Posted on 5 Jul 2013 20:12:08 BDT
I now have a kindle fire hd that I received on my birthday. I try to put movies onto my kindle from my computer using the usb connecter, however every time I try to sync it, there seems to be an error. the message I always get is 'your device requires that this file be converted in order to play on the device. However, the device either does not support playing video, or Windows Media Player cannot convert the file to a video format that is supported by the device." I have tried to download a movie and video player, and still get nothing. I have already got the movie on my computer playing, however it will not convert to my kindle. Please help.
Thanks

Posted on 16 Apr 2013 18:56:35 BDT
hmcgrehan says:
thank you so much for the person who suggested the VLC Player app!!!! I have just downloaded this and can now view all of my movies from my pc!!! lifesaver :)

Posted on 14 Apr 2013 09:23:20 BDT
Hi all, the download of movies for later viewing is a problem that very few of us expected. However there are clever people out there that have cracked the issue and more so are willing to share their knowledge which is a huge help to those of us that struggle in this area. So, in layman's term,can someone please give me step by step procedure for obtaining movie's for download onto a u.k kindle fire hd. To include, the movie site, the app, and anything else I will need to make work. I have expertise in certain areas, but I am a complete moron in this arena. Please, someone help me. Thank you.

Posted on 3 Apr 2013 23:31:46 BDT
M. Anderson says:
I really appreciate other readers of the forum that try and help with all these problems that the less technological of us struggle with - Thank you :)

In reply to an earlier post on 3 Apr 2013 23:18:31 BDT
Denis Powell says:
The name of the app is "Personal Videos" and it's available for download from the Cloud tab not the Store. It only works with movies that are in MP4 format. Movies in other formats such as .wmv and .avi can be viewed using the VLC app which is obtainable from the app store.

To copy a movie from your laptop simply connect the Fire to your laptop using the USB cable and drag and drop the file into the Movies folder. If they're not in MP4 format the Personal Videos app won't "see" them and you'll need something like ES File Explorer to locate them in the folder. That works in a similar way to Windows Explorer. A tap on the title should give you the option to select which app you want to use to view it.

Posted on 3 Apr 2013 22:58:48 BDT
Last edited by the author on 3 Apr 2013 23:00:43 BDT
G. McMurdo says:
Can someone please give clear instructions as to how to actually transfer a DVD (copied to the laptop) to the kindle fire HD? I have tried for days and getting nowhere, what is the name of this personal video app people are referring to?
Any help would be greatly appreciated, bought the fire for my 7 year old daughter and its great for games and web etc but she`d love to be able to watch her own DvD when we are travelling.
Thanks in advance

Posted on 28 Mar 2013 09:52:38 GMT
John Jeffery says:
I have a Kindle Fire HD 9.9 bought in the US and I cant seem to get Lovefilm for it. Any ideas?

Posted on 24 Mar 2013 22:53:08 GMT
M. Anderson says:
Totally bewildered - we tried and managed to download movies - no problem at all but no sound - no sound issues with anything else though?

In reply to an earlier post on 19 Mar 2013 08:35:32 GMT
Christine says:
Yep - I live most of the year in South Africa. Bought the Kindle Fire HD in the hope of enjoying movies as well as books etc and discovered that the Lovefilm feature only works if you are in the UK. Felt a bit misled by some of the advertising ....

In reply to an earlier post on 19 Mar 2013 07:58:21 GMT
Denis Powell says:
Barry, your profile says you live in Spain. If that's the case and you have a LoveFilm UK account, according to the website:

"LOVEFiLM's Watch Online service on the website, and the LOVEFiLM Player service on selected internet-enabled devices, are available to any customer connected to the Internet physically within the UK."

Posted on 19 Mar 2013 04:13:09 GMT
I have a lovefilm account but cannot play tv programmes as it keeps saying "cannot stream to Linux"
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the kindle discussion forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
Announcement
Introducing the all-new Fire HD 6 and 7 and Fire HDX 8.9!
153 2 days ago
Announcement
Amazon Introduces Two All-New Kindles
208 8 days ago
Announcement
NEWS: Kindle Paperwhite Software Update 5.4.5
87 10 Sep 2014
Announcement
NEWS: Kindle Paperwhite Previous Generation Software Update Version 5.4.4
274 5 Sep 2014
Announcement
NEWS: Kindle Paperwhite Software Update Version 5.4.3
188 26 Jul 2014
Announcement
Kindle Paperwhite Software Update Version 5.4.2
359 13 Jun 2014
Announcement
Kindle Paperwhite (Previous Generation) Software Update Version 5.3.9
58 6 Jul 2014
Announcement
NEWS: Kindle Touch Software Update Version 5.3.7
87 29 Jun 2014
Announcement
NEWS: Kindle Paperwhite Update Version 5.3.6
101 25 Apr 2014
Announcement
New Kindle Help Forum Now Available
0 5 Jun 2013
Announcement
NEWS: Kindle Paperwhite Update version 5.3.5
62 6 Aug 2013
Announcement
Important Announcement from Amazon
697 18 Aug 2014

This discussion

Discussion in:  kindle discussion forum
Participants:  64
Total posts:  129
Initial post:  2 Nov 2012
Latest post:  26 Dec 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 28 customers

Search Customer Discussions