Customer Discussions > kindle discussion forum

Wireless Not Working - Connecting to router

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 38 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 29 Aug 2010 08:23:32 BDT
Kindle Wifi model arrived today, but refuses to connect to my wireless Netgear WNR3500L (standard firmware).

I have tried every possible combination, WPA, WPA2, TKIP, AES, you name it. I have tried a full reset, nothing seems to work.

The kindle picks up signals 4 houses down so it not a signal issue. I think Amazon have issues selling this product if it doesn't work.

Posted on 29 Aug 2010 08:26:27 BDT
Theres another thread about this with solutions if you look down abit

Posted on 29 Aug 2010 08:28:20 BDT
Anuj Pant says:
Does it list your network at all in the available network list?

Posted on 29 Aug 2010 08:45:53 BDT
Paul Lemon says:
I too have a netgear router. After problems getting it to talk to my PS3 I dropped back to WEP. I know its the lowest security level but I see you don't mention it above. Wep works fine with my Kindle 3G.

Can you access the router via your mac/pc? I know that this sounds daft but last night although my macbook was using the wireless fine my ipad (which I had earlier in the day been using with a friends router - another Netgear) just refused flatly to see the connection. I had to 'forget' the network to find it again.

However I am not sure if the Kindle has this facility or not.

Ah! - will the browser open at all? If it will then you could try accessing the http:// address for your router. (192.168.0.1) If it can't see it then maybe Houston really does have a problem, sorry.

Posted on 29 Aug 2010 08:54:11 BDT
Thanks for all the quick replies and suggestions, to add to my original post, I work in IT so yes have tried all the following suggestions, I refuse to run with WEP, even if it worked (way to much of a security risk - I can hack a WEP system in less than 2 minutes). All my other devices work 100% with my kit, Iphone 4, IPAD, PC, PS3, SONOS.

I might if I have time later today run a wireshark with my wifi sniffer and get down to the bottom of this, still not impressed that all I have to read is the encyclopedia, get a bit dull after C - LOL

Posted on 29 Aug 2010 09:09:57 BDT
Swift says:
Isn't there a way to get books onto your Kindle by downloading to your PC and connecting via USB?

Posted on 29 Aug 2010 18:29:50 BDT
Last edited by the author on 29 Aug 2010 18:31:54 BDT
There's a thread on Kindleboards where someone has reported a problem using long pre-shared keys with WPA2. The workaround was to try a different or shorter key.

http://www.kindleboards.com/index.php/topic,34058.0.html

Posted on 30 Aug 2010 10:14:55 BDT
Last edited by the author on 30 Aug 2010 10:19:31 BDT
Hi All, I have managed to fix this on my setup, for some reason the Kindle refuses to conenct on CH13, just by changing the wireless signal down to 11 fixed my issue. Amazon tech support didnt even suggest this I worked this out waiting for them to call me back.

This IS a issue with the Kindle, every single other device I have works 100% on CH13.

Posted on 30 Aug 2010 10:18:22 BDT
Last edited by the author on 30 Aug 2010 10:18:51 BDT
Gio says:
Maybe your SSID is hidden and you need to connect to it manually

EDIT: Just saw your post above, glad it's working

In reply to an earlier post on 30 Aug 2010 11:17:42 BDT
A. Molloy says:
Well that would indicate that the Kindle's wifi is essentially "US" wifi, as I believe they only have channels 1-11 over there and here in Europe we go up to 13. You'd have thought when selling to the UK the wifi would be fully compliant with European wifi standards. Will have to keep it in mind when I get mine as I think I'm currently using CH13 as well.

Posted on 30 Aug 2010 11:41:37 BDT
Paul Lemon says:
Glad you got it working. I guess that the encyclopedia is now a distant memory?

In reply to an earlier post on 30 Aug 2010 12:11:05 BDT
@Swift

I believe there is, as I've read elsewhere and as I will probably do my self. (I haven't got my kindle yet.) One way I hope to do it is to connect my pc to my amazon kindle page with the kindle attached to my pc by cable, and tell the kindle to sync, or try to download from the account page. Another way I plan to try is, since I have kindle for pc, is to sync my kindle for pc, and then maybe drag and drop from the My Kindle folder in My Documents on my pc over to my kindle.

Failing those ways, I might look at the manual, which as they say is a good place to look if all else fails.

Posted on 22 Sep 2010 14:18:57 BDT
Mr. D. Juby says:
Afternoon guys,

I too am having trouble connecting my kindle to my home wifi. Currently got my router open network on Channel 9, SSID hidden, MAC filtering on, Kindle MAC address added to my routers "allowed" list.

Any ideas?

Posted on 3 Sep 2011 18:44:33 BDT
I really love my Kindle, but I had problem with the wifi connection too. My mobile and Wii picked up the wireless straight away, but Kindle said 'no' :-( But finally I've cracked it!
The following might work for you as well: I've opened the router 'website' on my browser (type in your router's IP address, for example http://192.168.1.1, then go to your wireless section and try another channel). It then picked it up straight away! Very impressed with the product. Downloading time super fast!

Posted on 5 Sep 2011 09:24:56 BDT
Hannah says:
My Kindle has stopped connecting to the wi-fi, after nearly a year with no problems. I have read through this thread but unfortunately can't understand a word, it's way above my non-technical head. I have done a re-boot, but still no go. It's a BT hub. Has any kind soul got any suggestions that a complete idiot might understand? :0))

Posted on 5 Sep 2011 09:29:16 BDT
oldcelt says:
Re-boot of Kindle or router?

In reply to an earlier post on 5 Sep 2011 11:51:37 BDT
Hannah says:
@ oldcelt: Reboot of Kindle

Posted on 5 Sep 2011 12:15:03 BDT
Last edited by the author on 5 Sep 2011 14:39:52 BDT
oldcelt says:
Try turning off then on your router.
Has worked for me.
Also needed to do the same for hp wireless printer!

Edited for spelling - was on my iPhone.

In reply to an earlier post on 5 Sep 2011 12:57:25 BDT
[Deleted by the author on 5 Sep 2011 12:58:15 BDT]

Posted on 5 Sep 2011 14:38:51 BDT
My Kindle connects to my router (Orange Livebox) on channel 13 using WPA-TKIP security. So channel 13 is not a problem for the Kindle - not for mine anyway.
I've used channel 13 for years because it's a quiet channel - most people seem to be under the impression that there are only 11 channels available, something I've seen quoted as "gospel" in UK computer mags.

In reply to an earlier post on 5 Sep 2011 16:59:21 BDT
Hannah says:
@oldcelt: thank you for your advice. Have reset router and done kindle reset from menu, but alas no good. Will try downloading direct from computer and contact CS tomorrow. Thank you for taking the trouble!

Posted on 5 Sep 2011 17:01:43 BDT
oldcelt says:
Hope they are able to fix it for you!

In reply to an earlier post on 5 Sep 2011 17:39:32 BDT
[Deleted by the author on 17 Nov 2011 20:10:44 GMT]

Posted on 6 Sep 2011 09:49:14 BDT
Hannah says:
Three cheers for Amazon CS! They talked me through doing a factory re-set and wi-fi is now working. There's just the small question of re-downloading nearly 1500 books.......

In reply to an earlier post on 6 Sep 2011 12:48:22 BDT
W. Bedford says:
I had a similar problem. Connected first time when I received the kindle then wouldn't connect whatever I tried.
After reading these pages, turned router off then on again. Reconnected. Try this simple approach (it's all I could understand! too)
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the kindle discussion forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
Announcement
NEWS: Kindle Paperwhite Previous Generation Software Update Version 5.4.4
242 3 days ago
Announcement
NEWS: Kindle Paperwhite Software Update Version 5.4.3
185 28 days ago
Announcement
Kindle Paperwhite Software Update Version 5.4.2
359 29 days ago
Announcement
Kindle Paperwhite (Previous Generation) Software Update Version 5.3.9
58 6 days ago
Announcement
Introducing the all-new Kindle Fire HDX Tablets
545 11 days ago
Announcement
The all-new Kindle Paperwhite - the ultimate device for reading!
1016 3 days ago
Announcement
NEWS: Kindle Touch Software Update Version 5.3.7
87 12 days ago
Announcement
NEWS: Kindle Paperwhite Update Version 5.3.6
101 25 Apr 2014
Announcement
New Kindle Help Forum Now Available
0 5 Jun 2013
Announcement
NEWS: Kindle Paperwhite Update version 5.3.5
62 6 Aug 2013
Announcement
Important Announcement from Amazon
693 3 Aug 2013
Kindle Android and Samples problem 2 4 minutes ago

More Customer Discussions

Most active community forums
Most active product forums

Amazon forums

This discussion

Discussion in:  kindle discussion forum
Participants:  25
Total posts:  38
Initial post:  29 Aug 2010
Latest post:  1 Dec 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 4 customers

Search Customer Discussions