Customer Discussions > kindle accessory discussion forum

Can you transfer books between Kindles?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 95 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 17 Jan 2011 20:47:40 GMT
J. Harris says:
I was wondering if it is possible to transfer books between Kindles as I and my partner have one each.

In reply to an earlier post on 19 Jan 2011 20:55:20 GMT
Hi I found this in the FAQs section of the forum:
If you have more than one kindle registered on the same Amazon account (such as husband and wife), books ordered on one can be read on the other and vice versa. Both users can order from the Kindle store. If you have two kindles on seperate accounts there is no way to share books.
I hope this answers your question.

In reply to an earlier post on 20 Jan 2011 21:07:30 GMT
J. Harris says:
Ah! Thought as much. Thanks for the reply :o)

In reply to an earlier post on 21 Jan 2011 08:19:49 GMT
mialucy says:
Just swap kindles around,no?

In reply to an earlier post on 21 Jan 2011 08:50:01 GMT
You can swap books arround. You need to de-register your kindle from your account and re-register to the account where the books were purchased. You can now download the books. once done de-register from this account and re-register to your account and hay presto you have your books and the books from the other account. I am sure that this is not condoned by amazon but it does work, it is a bit of a faff but worth it if you read alot.

Posted on 17 Mar 2011 14:14:45 GMT
G. L. Jones says:
I did this with my son's ipod, registered it to my account so he could get a book I'd downloaded for him but then de-registered it so he wouldn't be able to purchase more without my say so and he keeps having issues accessing the book I'd downloaded for him. If I try and read any of the other books then it attempts to download via internet and if you don't have wifi or 3g access then it won't work. I know it's not a Kindle but I'm interested if the same happens with a Kindle too?

Posted on 21 Mar 2011 14:45:31 GMT
Miss Dutton says:
Mrs Readsalot's advice is good and Amazon do not have an issue with this in fact they advice that multiple Kindles be linked to the same account in order to get these advantages. It is a key advantage they promote :)

Posted on 8 Apr 2011 11:58:06 BDT
jersey jill says:
I read with the kindle on a cushion on my knee and my hands under a fleecy blanket would like a wire that puts into the earphone socket so I can click the page turner under the covers! very lazy I know but that is the only extra I would like. any chance Kindle?

In reply to an earlier post on 14 Apr 2011 18:30:44 BDT
I think they do warn that if you deregister your Kindle from your account you will 'lose' your books though so registering then deregistering could cause issues.

Posted on 20 Apr 2011 16:55:44 BDT
J. C. Horgan says:
You can transfer books between kindles for upto 28 days im led to believe, have not tried it but one of the Dr's where I work is a techno fiend and he says that you can, whoever has downloaded it will not have access to it whilst the other is reading it though

Posted on 22 Apr 2011 11:59:27 BDT
bookworm says:
How can I make my amazon account secure. This only occured to me a few days ago when I left my kindle on the aircraft I was travelling in. Fortunately it was returned to me. But anyone could have purchased books and kept the kindle had they not been so honest and I would have been responsible for the bill. Any ideas. Thanks.

Posted on 28 Apr 2011 10:15:42 BDT
john herbert says:
dear bookworm, thats why kindle has a password incorporated in it, just type in your password before you go on holiday, and remove it when you get home. john, leicester

Posted on 4 May 2011 13:25:39 BDT
JanB says:
or if you live in the states you can borrow and lend kindle books, but apparently this is not yet possible in the UK

In reply to an earlier post on 25 Dec 2011 17:29:08 GMT
E. C. Bowers says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on 26 Dec 2011 11:03:58 GMT
Mike Overd says:
That was a great piece of advice Readsalot! Thanks for that. It's like getting another Christmas present. God bless you.

Posted on 26 Dec 2011 17:19:44 GMT
You can 'loan' books to a user on another account for (I think) 2 weeks and while they're reading it you can't access it at the same time. Otherwise you need to have them registered on the same account and just send them to each others kindle.

Posted on 27 Dec 2011 22:40:11 GMT
donna says:
i have my eldest daughters kindle reg to my amzon account. my youngest daughter wishes one which will also be reg to my account. how do i prevent my eldest daughters books being downloaded onto my youngests kindle.

Posted on 28 Dec 2011 07:06:26 GMT
F. J. Wallis says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

Posted on 28 Dec 2011 12:33:12 GMT
Nieves says:
HI, I bought 4 kindles for family and friends for christmas. Each one was registered to me with my credit card info on them. I bought a book for each of them and then deregistered my credit card details. I didnt think too hard about the consequences and now think that they will not be able to access them as they are registered to me, and I dont want them. What's the answer please - i am living in uk.

Posted on 29 Dec 2011 11:35:23 GMT
Last edited by the author on 29 Dec 2011 16:13:51 GMT
robert3golf says:
In response to question raised by J Harris.

Kindle User`s Guide, Chapter4 Page 13, Getting More from your Kindle, last paragraph on page, Loaning Kindle Books, defines the loan facility available in loaning a book to others for a period of up to 14 days. Not all books are availible, it is up to the publisher to determine which titles are eligible for lending. There is no need to use the de-register and re-register process.

Posted on 29 Dec 2011 20:20:33 GMT
Ellie says:
Is there a way for me to buy a book for my son's kindle without my credit card details being then available for him to use? At present he can't even download free books from kindle store as he doesn't have a registered credit card!

In reply to an earlier post on 29 Dec 2011 20:24:37 GMT
Last edited by the author on 29 Dec 2011 20:27:59 GMT
In response to Donna who posted on 27th December 2011.
Hi Donna, the Kindles are linked to the Amazon account of the purchaser. I found out by accident when my number 2 kindle was playing up and Amazon sent me number 3 Kindle, I was able to have the same book on both kindles at the same time. I think it's brilliant. You will not be able to stop your daughters from reading or downloading each others books, but I am quite sure that they can both have the same book on each Kindle at the same time.

Posted on 31 Dec 2011 01:30:37 GMT
Mrs. J. Bray says:
Havent found the kindle deal of the day anywhere from my kindle.despite a list coming up with similar titles when you do a search.I still use my phone and then go back to the. Kindle to check any downloads I have made. Would be nice. To do this all on the kindle

Posted on 1 Jan 2012 00:56:03 GMT
M. Bullen says:
My partner and I each bought a kindle 3g for christmas for each other. can I just register them both in my name.

Posted on 1 Jan 2012 12:46:08 GMT
Mitain says:
Yes you can register them both in your name, I think its up to 4 kindles on one account

We had a big debate as I didn't want grown up children to buy books from my account so instead within the family we "share" our books by de-registering and registering to a different name, download the books we want to read then de-register from that account and re-register to our own eg I'm on my second kindle but if my daughter signs into my account it picks up as "kindle 3" As someone said earlier its a bit of a pain but the books then stay on the kindle but if you delete them they are gone forever. I usually "fill up" with books every few months then just leave them sitting there

Hope it helps
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the kindle accessory discussion forum (205 discussions)

Discussion Replies Latest Post
Repairing a Kindle 51 30 May 2014
Kindle leads 5 19 May 2014
Stop working 1 19 May 2014
transferring kindle/amazon accounts 3 19 May 2014
Kindle in the sun 12 19 May 2014
Can you transfer books between Kindles? 94 19 May 2014
obtaining books from Amazon.com.UK for Kindle overseas 26 19 Mar 2014
Kindle cover 3 3 Jan 2014
Old to New Kindles 11 27 Dec 2013
two accounts with one laptop? 2 12 Dec 2013
what sort of a keyboard has the 99 kindle fire? 1 12 Dec 2013
Using Kindle Touch in the bath 10 11 Dec 2013

This discussion

Participants:  77
Total posts:  95
Initial post:  17 Jan 2011
Latest post:  19 May 2014

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 34 customers

Search Customer Discussions