Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop All Amazon Fashion Cloud Drive Photos Shop now Learn More Shop now DIYED Shop now Shop Fire Shop Kindle Oasis Listen with Prime Learn more Shop Men's Shop Women's
Customer Discussions > jazz discussion forum

Those perennial standards or favourites that sstay ...

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-13 of 13 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 9 Jan 2013 01:33:11 GMT
Last edited by the author on 10 Jan 2013 12:22:46 GMT
Ajarn Col says:
in your head for days or longer.

Most recently it's been "Cry Me A River" after listening to Georgie Fame's version on Lost in a Lover's Dream a few times recently

Posted on 17 Jan 2013 07:42:49 GMT
Last edited by the author on 17 Jan 2013 07:43:52 GMT
Ajarn Col says:
"My Funny Valentine" recently. So firstly played the Sinatra version and ended up with the quite superb My Funny Valentine (1964) 15.02 long track. Rounded the session off with Bill Evans/Jim Hall version on Undercurrent So that's my fill that song for now I guess.

Posted on 18 Jan 2013 01:25:39 GMT
Last edited by the author on 18 Jan 2013 01:47:55 GMT
Lez Lee says:
Ajarn, do you know the version by John Grant (The Czars)? It suits his lovely distinctive voice very well.

Posted on 18 Jan 2013 03:59:05 GMT
Last edited by the author on 18 Jan 2013 03:59:56 GMT
Ajarn Col says:
Thanks for that ,Lez. Never heard of John Grant or The Czars before. Must say that's a very full-blooded version of the song, although perhaps at the other end of the spectrum to my favourite vocal Chet Baker version. Cheers

Posted on 25 Jan 2013 02:06:23 GMT
Ajarn Col says:
Woke up wih the Nat King Cole version of 'Sweet Lorraine' in my head so have just played it on After Midnight: The Complete Session

ps

I know that I'm odd, but I never thought so odd as to be the only one that sometimes had a song stuck in their head for no apparent reason.

In reply to an earlier post on 25 Jan 2013 11:34:07 GMT
[Deleted by the author on 25 Jan 2013 11:38:53 GMT]

In reply to an earlier post on 25 Jan 2013 13:46:28 GMT
Last edited by the author on 25 Jan 2013 13:47:04 GMT
Ahmad says:
If I Had You, from Dinah Shore - Best Of (The Capitol Recordings)

In reply to an earlier post on 25 Jan 2013 21:12:45 GMT
Yim says:
Ajarn - 'Sweet Lorraine' gets stuck in my head too. 'Darn that Dream' is another one that does, though I've never been able to decide if I like that song or not.

In reply to an earlier post on 29 Jan 2013 16:43:53 GMT
Last edited by the author on 30 Jan 2013 22:08:32 GMT
Ajarn Col says:
Yim ,I can undertand how 'Darn That Dream' can stick around in anyone's head , the lyrics are seductively compelling and there's been some great instrumental versions (Monk's cover playing as I write).

Today it's been 'Wide-Eyed & Legless' (yep one for the teenagers, Andy Fairweather-Low's song). Difference is that it's on Georgie Fame's latest album (above mentioned) and I suppose that says more about how much I play the album than anything else.

Posted on 30 Jan 2013 21:57:10 GMT
"Some Other Spring" written by Irene Wilson, sung by Billie Holiday, also "Star Eyes" sung by Carmen McRae I still just love these songs, amongst another few hundred that keep coming into my head on a daily basis!

Posted on 1 Mar 2013 00:21:45 GMT
Don Juandre says:
Wow! Where to start... Ok, AJARN, there is nothing odd about having a tune stuck in your head for no apparent reason... not for a music lover anyway! I realise just being that might make us odd in some people's eyes but hey, there's more of us than them! I would find it odd if any of the aforementioned DIDN'T stick in people's heads! As for me... here goes; Album called 'Ultraspontanee', by the John Jorgenson Quintet... You'll find a version of 'Don't worry 'bout me'... guest sung by a certain Beryl Davis... Turns out she is the identical B. Davis who used to belt out the same number with the Hot Club de France in the '40's. Ain't that something? Best of all, in all that time her voice has hardly changed... Sends shivers down me spine,mate!

In reply to an earlier post on 25 May 2013 22:19:28 BDT
Sheila: Have you heard 'Some Other Spring' by Elkie Brooks with Humphrey Lyddleton? I probably spelt Humph's surname wrong, but it's a lovely version of that classic. Billie's version is wonderful, I do agree....

Posted on 26 May 2013 09:39:21 BDT
Last edited by the author on 26 May 2013 09:39:50 BDT
It's got to be ''Round Midnight''. It's one of those tunes that, you could argue, is over performed, but there are good reasons why both musicans and listeners keep coming back to it. It's actually quite a strange tune, and can be performed in a variety of different ways. It's often thought of as a love song, of sorts-it even has a rather corny lyric attached to it-but Monk's first recording of it for Blue Note is quite unsettling. I remember one Jazz writer-possibly Richard Cook-saying that Monk's solo on this recording ''seethed with midnight terrors''. This might be overstating it a bit, but it seems that Monk is thinking of something other than a lost love while playing. Any way, lots of other interesting suggestions here-I think I might have had all of these tunes haunting me at one time or another!
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the jazz discussion forum (178 discussions)

This discussion

Discussion in:  jazz discussion forum
Participants:  8
Total posts:  13
Initial post:  9 Jan 2013
Latest post:  26 May 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 2 customers

Search Customer Discussions