Customer Discussions > horror discussion forum

Italian cult cinema general debate

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 203 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 11 Apr 2012 02:46:01 BDT
Talk to your hearts content about anything and everything in Italian cult cinema, compare genre's and sub-genre's, debate directors, ramble about your favourite actors and actresses or debate specific films and trends.

Posted on 11 Apr 2012 03:51:01 BDT
[Deleted by the author on 1 May 2013 05:31:50 BDT]

Posted on 11 Apr 2012 08:42:21 BDT
AlanK47 says:
The 3 Faces of Terror (uncut)
West25: I think this is the one you're after

Posted on 11 Apr 2012 10:46:55 BDT
[Deleted by the author on 1 May 2013 05:31:57 BDT]

In reply to an earlier post on 12 Apr 2012 18:32:02 BDT
I must admit I've a terrible habit of going completely off at a tangent when I start film-talk as I get caught up in the excitement and start rambling about anything that pops into my head, glad you found your film, must admit I've not seen "The 3 Faces of Terror" but it sounds interesting, I have mixed feelings about "The Wax Mask" especially with that random ending that just doesn't work but on the whole its pretty enjoyable, I think Fulci would've done it better (and probably a lot gorier!) but it wasn't a bad debut for Stivaletti, I heard recently that he's signed onto "The Profane Exhibit" so I'm even more excited about it now though Uwe Boll got in too and Lucifer Valentine is rumoured, still even those two can't screw this one up, to be fair bad directing aside they can do decent gore and that'll probably be all thats needed for them to at least deliver acceptable segments.

As to the top ten scenes in Italian horror or giallo I posted a general top ten in the iconic images topic and I think eight were Italian so its probably not worth me re-writing for Italian films exclusively, for me it would be much tougher to do one which excludes Italian films! Did I mention I really, really love Italian cinema? Well I do!

Regarding the director with the best run of films its a tough one but I'd say Sergio Martino as I found him to have the best run of gialli throughout the 70's, a handful of crime action that were among the best, one of the most popular films in the cannibal genre, had the second most important spaghetti western in the mini revival cycle of the late 70's/early 80's (next to "Keoma") and after all that his work didn't dip too badly in quality even as the late 80's and early 90's pretty much saw the Italian film industry fall apart, now thats a (violent) professional! I admit I wanted to nominate Fulci as his career was even more diverse and he enjoyed greater success but his last decade was really hit or miss which is a pity as before that I really couldn't class anyone as being on par with him, I guess its understandable with his health, the decreasing budgets and his discomfort at being pidgeon-holed taken into consideration.

Posted on 12 Apr 2012 19:37:53 BDT
[Deleted by the author on 1 May 2013 05:32:05 BDT]

In reply to an earlier post on 12 Apr 2012 20:20:29 BDT
Uwe Boll really reeks but like I said he can at least do decent gore scenes and the segments will all be splatter drenched and likely 20 minutes or under so even his bit should be good, I think they definitely should've got Ruggero Deodato and Daisuke Yamanouchi on board though.

I think for my top ten scenes I put the first kill from "Suspiria" but much as I love some of Argento's other films they don't quite make the cut, I guess I'm more of a Fulci man as four of his scenes made my list if I remember rightly and I almost added another from "Don't Torture a Duckling", speaking of which I always found the scene where the kid brings Barbara Bouchet her juice fascinating yet somehow uncomfortable, its the only scene I've ever found as an adult that reminds me of that uncomfortable helpless feeling you get as a kid when you have a crush on an adult, its got quite an effect I found or is that just me?

I think Argento really delivered on "Deep Red" and was truly great but I found his peak period to be much shorter than many of his rivals, I'm not sure what to think of "Dracula 3D" as Argento hasn't really done a good film in 20 years except "Sleepless" and if you count TV films "Pelts", I'll end up checking it out despite my doubts though I really think this is his last chance, if this one bombs like his last few I doubt he'll be back for more.

"Oasis of Fear" is a great film though not at all your typical giallo, I loved the twist ending and its abruptness and whenever I think about the film I end up getting that music stuck in my head, hope you enjoy "Nightmare City" its fast paced and lots of fun but its not really a thinking man's film in any way, shape or form, its also the originator or the running zombie which many people credit to "28 Days Later" much to my annoyance, incidentally "28 Days Later" lifts a lot from "Primal Rage" too which was written by but not directed by Lenzi.

Posted on 13 Apr 2012 06:32:45 BDT
[Deleted by the author on 1 May 2013 05:32:13 BDT]

In reply to an earlier post on 15 Apr 2012 14:24:32 BDT
I think "Torso" is a great film though I feel its reputation as Martino's best is far from true, I really liked the tense last 30 minutes but my favourite section is the violent first 30 minutes or so, the murders manage to be so lurid without actually getting much blood onscreen.

I actually got started on Italian horror through Fulci, I wasn't very knowledgable back then and only saw "Zombie Flesh Eaters" and "The Beyond" due to the fact they made the nasties list which I'd recently heard of, I was sixteen and looking for cheap bloody thrills and though many nasties fitted that criteria I knew early on these Italian films had something that set them apart from the run of the mill gore film, my interest in Argento came soon after and though I love many of his films I do prefer a few other Italian directors to him, I think in order starting from best it would be Fulci, Martino, Bava, Lenzi then Argento, as to a "Suspiria" remake its been rumoured for years along with a "Deep Red" remake, they keep getting put-off so hopefully they'll never happen but if they do I pray they do terribly otherwise Hollywood may start remaking Italian classics by the dozen and as far as I'm concerned Italian horror is the one sacred thing that's so far went unsoiled, I hope it remains so.

I think when people talk about Italian films they think of cheap, trashy nonsense imitations of popular American films but many don't understand the ripping off was going back and forth, it was worldwide infact, the spaghetti western was born with Leone's "A Fistful of Dollars" which was a remake of Kurosawa's classic samurai film "Yojimbo" and afterwards the western and samurai film were stealing idea's from one another all the time, even as the vigilante and tough cop genre's spouted out it they recycled many idea's from westens and samurai films and modernised them, its hard to call the Italians theives when they were just as often the victims of idea robbery and in an industry that puts out just as many knock-offs if not many more than originals.

Loved most of the giallo films you mention but "Watch me when I Kill" didn't do much for me, it seemed to drag in places, the kills were great though.

Posted on 16 Apr 2012 18:51:11 BDT
[Deleted by the author on 1 May 2013 05:32:23 BDT]

In reply to an earlier post on 16 Apr 2012 19:15:39 BDT
I think there is a huge divide of opinions between the Bava's, I think fans of the more popular Italian films may lean more towards Lamberto as his style is more like that of other 70's and 80's directors but his dad made a name for himself in the 60's like Riccardo Freda and Antonio Margheriti and though they moved with the times their efforts did often feel like films of a separate generation, Margheriti seems to have survived the transition best making a huge u-turn towards jungle action but Freda and Bava got less and less work over the years, I think Mario Bava films have a lot going for them but he never reaches the gory excesses of "Demons" and his films often put plot, style and atmosphere over sexual or violent thrills so naturally the difference between his and his sons work was quite huge. Incidentally I feel despite preferring Mario I do really feel sorry for Lamberto, he's a damn good director but as Mario has more influence and popularity he'll always be thought of in comparison to his dad and will often end up being labelled the weaker Bava.

I think people call "Footprints" a giallo as they don't know what else to call it, it has giallo elements so in a sense despite no killer running around it fits the bill. Sorry to hear you gave "The Card Player" a second chance, I did too and it makes you really feel stupid, nothing but regrets there! I did the same with "Mother of Tears" as I thought I'd been harshly comparing it to the other two in the trilogy, in all fairness a few gore scenes worked well but it wasn't enough to save such a lame film.

Posted on 16 Apr 2012 19:49:23 BDT
[Deleted by the author on 1 May 2013 05:32:35 BDT]

In reply to an earlier post on 18 Apr 2012 18:24:32 BDT
I suppose I see what you mean, I often stick on films I wasn't too happy with first time round to find I'm liking them more on repeat viewings, sadly it works the other way too and some films I thought quite highly of at one point have really disappointed me when going back to them, the worst thing is to stick on a favourite whilst in a bad mood or depressed, I did that with "Cannibal Holocaust" almost two years ago and though I know I still love it I keep putting off watching it again, unfortunately some other things like the anime series "Shigurui" which I watched in perhaps my most depressed day ever I am ridiculously reluctant to try again incase it stirs up old memories, pity as its one of the best series I've ever seen.

If you want proof that Mario could do a 70's bold very modern horror when he wanted to try out his "Rabid Dogs", its a kidnap hostage road horror thats really edge of your seat stuff, I think I should like Lamberto more as his style fits my tastes more neatly but Mario had something special that I prefer, probably his knack for visual style.

Posted on 18 Apr 2012 19:17:29 BDT
[Deleted by the author on 1 May 2013 05:32:44 BDT]

In reply to an earlier post on 19 Apr 2012 18:10:21 BDT
You ought to get the Bava boxset volume 2 if you can afford a copy, its out of print so might be pricey now, it has both cuts you mentioned in it along with "Lisa and the Devil", its weaker alternate cut "House of Exorcism", "Baron Blood", "Four Times that Night", "Roy Colt and Winchester Jack", "Five Dolls for an August Moon" and a non-faded print of "Bay of Blood", as to "Rabid Dogs" thats the cut you need as "Kidnapped" has a much weaker score and the only other difference is a scene filmed by Lamberto years later that looks blatantly out of place and spoils a big plot twist at the very start.

Posted on 19 Apr 2012 21:46:03 BDT
Stuart M B says:
Anthony M Dawson I second your recomendation of the BAVA BOX SET i enjoyed all the films including the rather silly
spaghetti western.
While i am here can i ask for peoples thoughts on MODEL MORDINE aka NOTHING UNDERNEATH and AUTOPSY(MIMSY FARMER)Thank you in advance.
have just ordered the KILLER QUEEN BOX SET And am also going to order SUSPECTED DEATH OF A MINOR.

In reply to an earlier post on 20 Apr 2012 17:56:25 BDT
I think "Autopsy" is one of the better giallo films doing the rounds and certainly worth a watch, its a bit darker than the usual fare which I can only applaud it for and works really well. As for "Nothing Underneath" its not a bad film but far from the high standards set by the best of the genre, its more of a plain thriller than a giallo in terms of style but its enjoyable enough, I suppose whether you should get it depends on how big a giallo fanatic you are, also on a side note I heard the director was putting a sequel to that film around the festival circuits of late, anyone seen it and is it worth getting?

Posted on 22 Apr 2012 15:49:39 BDT
Stuart M B says:
Anthony M Dawson
Thank you for your answer.I will definately get AUTOPSY then and probably MODEL MORDINE,both the wife and i enjoy
giallo films in fact they are probably our favourite genre and you can chalk up another two fans for MURDER ROCK its not the best of its kind but a lot of fun nevertheless.
Ihave been working my way through your LISTOMANIAS and now have most of both lists.
the one thing i like about your lists at least there is purpose to them rather than just showing off what you have bought.
unfortunately i cant help with your question as i am completely in the dark on that one.

In reply to an earlier post on 23 Apr 2012 18:10:41 BDT
Thanks, glad my lists have been useful, I try not to show off as I'm more interested in getting other people into less popular films than stroking my ego (I save that hobby for those lonely nights!), so glad you like "Murder Rock" its near impossible to find someone who'll defend it, I think its got a great plot and I really like the characters, I'll even defend the music. Like you I'm pretty big on giallo, not sure if its my favourite genre though, gothic horrors, euro-zombies, samurai films and those surrealist films that feel part arthouse part exploitation all feel special to me, the type I prefer usually depends on my mood.

Posted on 24 Apr 2012 15:12:26 BDT
Pulpman says:
I own both box sets and highly recommend them to all Bava fans. One of my favorite Bava films is Blood and Blacklace. it is not in the sets but definitely worth a look. I also enjoyed the Argento Mother series. Mother of tears was not up to snuff but overall the series is good watching. Reading the other post makes me want to view other films mentioned.

In reply to an earlier post on 24 Apr 2012 18:46:42 BDT
I would certainly second "Blood and Black Lace" to Bava fans along with "The Whip and the Body", "Planet of the Vampires", "Hercules in the Haunted World" and "Shock" but I'd advise those new to his work to start with the two boxsets which give a varied group of films sure to please most film buffs and give a definite feel for what his films are all about.

Posted on 24 Apr 2012 18:59:21 BDT
[Deleted by the author on 1 May 2013 05:32:55 BDT]

In reply to an earlier post on 26 Apr 2012 18:22:42 BDT
"Manhattan Baby" is a weird one all right, its not really one of my favourite Fulci's but I've watched it four times and still like it, I still don't know why I like it but I do. Loved "The Designated Victim", it avoids the usual giallo route to do a slow tension build that when it finally pays off leaves me applauding everytime, I know what you mean regarding film titles, the weirdest one has to be the "Zombi 3" films of which there were half a dozen all with multiple alternate titles, even more confusing was that "Zombi 5" AKA "Killing Birds" was made earlier and "Absurd" was known as "Zombi 6" despite being made before the 5th one!

Posted on 26 Apr 2012 19:36:02 BDT
[Deleted by the author on 1 May 2013 05:33:05 BDT]

In reply to an earlier post on 26 Apr 2012 21:46:50 BDT
Funny you should mention it as I've watched "Nightmare City" about a dozen times in various drunken states, it just ticks all the right boxes, sure some of the setpieces are unusual, others just plain unrealistic but the film moves fast never letting up on the fun, "Demons" works in a similar way but besides "Nightmare City" my most frequent movies for booze-ups are probably "Gutterballs", "Absurd", "Stagefright", "Nightmare", "Night of the Demon" (the video nasty), "Burial Ground", "The Gore Gore Girls", "Turkey Shoot", "Forbidden World" and "The Devils Sword", all great fun bloodsoaked classics.

Good luck with "Zombie Creeping Flesh" its fast paced and very enjoyable but it gets lots of bad attention due to the score being lifted from "Dawn of the Dead" and "Contamination", pity, don't know how anyone could hate a film with such a cool kill sequence, I won't give it away but its near the end, you'll know it when you see it. I know what you mean regarding replay value, after watching an American or British film about 75% of the time thats it shelved to be watched seldom if ever again but about half of my Italian collection are watched once every year or two and believe me at the rate I buy films its amazing I have the time for them, I think Japanese films pre-90's have a high replay value but nothing like the Italians, they were legendary!
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the horror discussion forum (817 discussions)

More Customer Discussions

Most active community forums
Most active product forums

Amazon forums

This discussion

Discussion in:  horror discussion forum
Participants:  16
Total posts:  203
Initial post:  11 Apr 2012
Latest post:  2 Sep 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 2 customers

Search Customer Discussions