Shop now Shop Clothing clo_fly_aw15_NA_shoes Shop All Shop All Amazon Fashion Cloud Drive Photos Learn More Shop now Shop Fire HD 6 Shop Kindle Paperwhite Shop now Shop Now Shop now
Customer Discussions > horror discussion forum

What makes a horror film

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-8 of 8 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 23 Apr 2009 00:33:20 BDT
What aspects of a film do you like most and how do they contribute to the film as a whole.

At the moment I'm a big fan of the dutch angle camera shot,it keeps being used endlessly in all the weird and wonderful 1970's American films I've been watching of late.I guess the directors used it to displace the audience from the action and to highlight the off kilterness of the story/scene.However as the films I've been watching have been so strange anyway it just increases the madness.(see review/recommendations topic for examples and post a review whilst there.)

I also like acting that is either over the top or so nonexistent that it becomes anti-acting.Both I find can add an extra layer of reality to a film but not a reality that coexists with the rest of the film.

Enough of my navel gazing,what do you like:acting,lighting,music,editing etc.

Posted on 23 Apr 2009 17:08:35 BDT
CJ Loades says:
I used to think a Horror film had to have something Supernatural in it. Something that can't really happen, but even though that was true of early Horror films, I suppose it's a ridiculous stipulation now. My idea of a good Horror film is when nature strikes back from all the negative impact Mankind has had on the Earth.

Posted on 23 Apr 2009 20:06:10 BDT
Make Them Die Slowly I like your comment on anti-acting, I loved that ridiculous preformance by the ginger woman in "Black Magic Rites" she sort of stole the show for me, mind you it doesn't hurt that I was really attracted to her.

CJ Loades I like the whole revenge of nature concept, I like revenge in horror in general though, its often more interesting when the tormentor (be it man,beast or anything with consious reasoning skills) has a reason as you can relate to him/her/it as well as those being attacked.

As for my own preferences I like a good plot, interesting characters (complicated or conflicted characters I tend to like more), good gore, a great musical score (I like the scores to 70's/80's Italian movies in particular) and a good ending but since very few films have all of the above I settle for what I can find, sometimes a film that excels in just one of these area's can top a film that has small dozes of each.

In reply to an earlier post on 26 Apr 2009 01:16:42 BDT
Last edited by the author on 26 Apr 2009 01:19:03 BDT
CJ,I surprised there has not been a glut of natures revenge films in the past few years with the enviroment being a daily news story.Or has there been,it's not a sub-genre that really appeals to me.Interesting idea on the supernatural as the only way a film can be a horror film,it kind of makes sense to me as I grew up pre-video and the only films I saw untill video came out were in the main supernatural ones with the odd mad scientist thrown in.These were all on telly mind, as I was too young to go to the cinema in the late 70s early 80s to see horror films.

In reply to an earlier post on 26 Apr 2009 09:48:59 BDT
To MTDS If you like nature fighting back, some related topics are covered in the dystopian novels by John Christopher. I was very impressed by them when young, not sure how well they have worn, but worth looking at.

Posted on 10 Feb 2014 20:01:33 GMT
[Deleted by the author on 10 Feb 2014 20:02:37 GMT]

Posted on 12 Feb 2014 15:28:51 GMT
Hang Ten says:
T&A, the more the better. 80's style.

When the nubile girls are being stalked and killed in an old abandoned house, they always must split up, A lone woman is required to search the basement. They must never stick together as a unit. Unless it's the shower scene.

Posted on 13 Feb 2014 23:30:54 GMT
Having characters that resemble Simon cowel, Jeremy clarkson and the like, slaughtered in various grusome ways;)
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the horror discussion forum (819 discussions)

This discussion

Discussion in:  horror discussion forum
Participants:  6
Total posts:  8
Initial post:  23 Apr 2009
Latest post:  13 Feb 2014

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions