Customer Discussions > horror discussion forum

Australian horror movies?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 98 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 18 Oct 2010 14:06:47 BDT
Can someone recommend me some good Australian horror movies?

Posted on 18 Oct 2010 14:27:30 BDT
Last edited by the author on 18 Oct 2010 15:38:39 BDT
A few in my dvd collection that I can think of.

Road Games [DVD] [1982] [Region 1] [US Import] [NTSC]
Triple Horror Box Set [DVD] [1979]
Turkey Shoot [DVD] [1982]
Body Melt [DVD] [1993]
Strange Behavior [DVD] [1981] [Region 1] [US Import] [NTSC]
Patrick [DVD] [1978]
Razorback [DVD] [1983]
Wolf Creek (2 Disc Edition) [DVD] [2005]
Picnic At Hanging Rock - Deluxe 3 Disc Edition [1975] [DVD]
Storm Warning [DVD] [2007]
Long Weekend
Mad Max Trilogy

Posted on 18 Oct 2010 14:59:55 BDT
Post Soviet says:
skippy the bush kangaroo

Posted on 18 Oct 2010 23:09:13 BDT
Two not yet metioned are
Next Of Kin and Alison's Birthday. Good luck in finding a legitamate release of them though. Two cracking horrors

Posted on 19 Oct 2010 09:30:56 BDT
Post Soviet says:
Rogue [DVD] [2008] from creator of 'wolf creek'. Nicely shot....nature views.....
includes quite big crocodile with affection to human flesh.

Posted on 19 Oct 2010 10:15:58 BDT
JONESY says:
How about Cut with Kylie in it?

Posted on 19 Oct 2010 13:01:14 BDT
The Horseman - I'll be watching THAT one tonight :)

In reply to an earlier post on 20 Oct 2010 11:09:07 BDT
L. E. Tío says:
"The Clinic. Tabrett Bethell from Legend of the Seeker and Andy Whitfield from Spartacus: Blood and Sand are starring in it. Bloody-Disgusting.com gave an 8/10 rating for the film. It will be released in Australia next year, on February 17, it's currently at film festivals."

In reply to an earlier post on 20 Oct 2010 19:14:31 BDT
charred says:
Hi Mrs M. how did you find the horseman? its one of my favourite films of last year.
I found the torture pretty intense and leg-crossingly inventive but its Peter Marshall's excellent performance that really makes the film

Posted on 20 Oct 2010 19:17:23 BDT
charred says:
Along with the prementioned horseman and the clinic I can also highly recommend The loved ones

In reply to an earlier post on 20 Oct 2010 23:14:05 BDT
Last edited by the author on 21 Oct 2010 20:32:56 BDT
'Cut'-little-known but effective & knowing slasher as mentioned above. Also 'Black Water'-the 1st noughties killer croc film with no rubber work-think 'Open Water' with a croc-& she's a nasty mother! Also the other croc one 'Rogue'. Plus 'Razorback' from 1983 & 'Long Weekend' & the remake-which I have yet to see, but I love nature-against-humans stuff cos we so deserve it! I would't recommend the terrible 'Cubbyhouse' though! Do I include 'Pitch Black'-it was shot in Aussie land, lol?!

Posted on 22 Oct 2010 19:57:30 BDT
Last edited by the author on 22 Oct 2010 19:58:54 BDT
JONESY says:
SPSP,
I apologise for my comments on the other site, which were wholly unnecessary .

I fear that we will not agree on anything other than Dagon ( although I am awaiting Cut which I ordered on the strength of your review. Hope it's good).
I think we will just have to agree that we approach horror from different ends of the spectrum.
Jonesy

In reply to an earlier post on 22 Oct 2010 21:55:12 BDT
Last edited by the author on 22 Oct 2010 22:23:13 BDT
Yes I saw it, cheers, it's silly really, one says something, likely misconstrued, other replies snappily (misconstrued too no doubt) & it just gets worse & I actually think its cloaked our musings in the first place-I'm sure we agree on far more than our approach has so far suggested. E.g. I admire 'Halloween' as much as most-it's simply a masterclass of moody, atmospheric, understated filming with a palpable sense of dread throughout. It's in short a nightmare piece & my only gripe is the very annoying ending (killer can't die)-but of course it doesn't obliterate all that 75mins of terror beforehand-another stregth I guess, while more modern films with bad endings-usually the 'twist' ('Sixth Sense', 'Dead End' etc) aren't actually good enough to avoid destroying their whole running time with it. I do hate 'Alien', must admit (sequel's great though) but 'Halloween' & 'Texas Chainsaw' I appreciate like most would. It's just if 'Halloween's' ending hadn't gone down so well with everybody, we wouldn't have every human killer being indestructible so THAT's what I detest, not the film at all.

I'll happily enjoy a fair amount of canniblastic/nihilistic exploitative nastiness as the next horror fan (I'm sure there's plenty I've yet to see, if even heard of, so I often pop up here to check what other people are watching, recommending etc-& that includes you, & in response of your good turn to get 'Cut' (nice one), I've read your revies of both 'Storm Warning' & 'Switchblade Romance' with interest as I've liked the look of both & heard enough tittering morsels about them to wanna jump 'em! Regarding 'Cut', sure, it might not gel. While I maintain its special enough-there's enough familiarity there (not a bad thing if done right) to make it appear middle-ground to others-after all the apparent hocus-pocus approach of the killer (yes shades of a few other films, but not necessarily slashers), characters splitting up, unstoppable killer, phones failing, remote location, but all of these work for me, and these are all slasher essentials anyway. But you may find a few surprises, good jokes (the one about 'Boogie Nights' & the conforntation of the homeowner to the party's appearance are particularly memorable), some nasty deaths, decent enough acting, a decnet atmosphere, plsu the novelty of dear Kylie in a pleasing 'opening' scene. But yes how that works among your stuff is down to you, but full marks for acquring it-I take it you haven't seen it yet!

Do ignore my comments under your 'Fog' & 'Lake Placid' review-they were done the day you gave me your comments & I just went stratospheric-you know how it goes! Anyway I'm sure we've more in common than misunderstandings (& makings-up)-being a horror fan is a much higher calling than not being one & makes you pity those who aren't, lol.

A much mollified SPSP (see even I can't be bothered typing the bloody name!) Much loveth!

Posted on 22 Oct 2010 22:00:00 BDT
Last edited by the author on 22 Oct 2010 22:02:25 BDT
Fifi says:
The Last Wave - an oldie from 1978 but once seen , never forgotten
Coffin Rock - more recent, chilly and atmospheric with some shocking moments
Wolf Creek - really well made gore fest

Posted on 23 Oct 2010 21:01:08 BDT
Last edited by the author on 23 Oct 2010 21:03:02 BDT
JONESY says:
SPSP,
I'm not sure that you will like Storm Warning. It's a revenge type flick with not a lot of story although it is quite gory. To judge by earlier comments you've made, i think you want a bit more from a movie than that.
Switchblade Romance is another gorefest, but its nicely filmed and got a lovely heroine in it.
Did you really like Lake Placid? I really couldn't stand it.
I.m glad we've buried the hatchet ( and not in each others skulls).

Posted on 23 Oct 2010 21:07:59 BDT
Rich says:
Three words for ya,

Brian Trenchard-Smith!

The king of Ozsploitation!

Posted on 23 Oct 2010 22:54:54 BDT
If anyone's interested there's a site called www.diabolikdvd.com/ where you can purchase two ozploitation boxsets chock full of goodness, the sets are region free and the site is paypal friendly if you like myself are wary of leaving bank card details here, there and everywhere. there's also an ozploitation documentary out that's easy to track down and useful as a shopping list, hope this helps, oh and "Journey among Women" is a great film too though not a horror as such.

In reply to an earlier post on 24 Oct 2010 17:19:41 BDT
BUBS. says:
hi magnus i have bought 4 aussie horrors within the last 9 months and everyone has been very enjoyable they are -

BLACK WATER-about a family going on a tour with a warden in the swamp they get trapped in a mangrove in the swamp their in the trees and the croc is waiting underneath . quite nerve racking.

ROGUE- another killer croc film totally different from the other though ,this one is filled with beautiful scenery and some very scary moments .i think this one is the better film but its very close.

STORM WARNING- see's a couple going on an outing in a small sailboat they get caught in a sudden storm and head inland for cover and come across an house in a secluded place , a very gory film and highly recommended.

DYING BREED- an exhibiting into the outback to find the supposedly extinct tansmanian devil brings an encounter with a redneckish population and this is another scary gory film that i would highly recommend perhaps my favourite of the 4 but their all great.

Posted on 24 Oct 2010 20:07:53 BDT
Post Soviet says:
Van Diemens Land [DVD] [2009] cannibalism, more drama than horror, chilling
anyway.

In reply to an earlier post on 24 Oct 2010 20:57:49 BDT
Last edited by the author on 24 Oct 2010 21:29:49 BDT
Jonesy, hey there. I don't have any fears about 'Storm Warning' delivering what I'd esxpect it to-it. Revenge flicks reagrding backwood nutters will work for me if I gel with the film ingredients as happened in the earlier US film 'Timber Falls' & the trailer makes it look fun enough. My real problem has far less to do with films like this, which are at least honest about what they deliver, than with the loftily sneaky productions like 'Them', 'Sixth Sense', 'Dead End' & 'Lake Eden' which dangle apparent horror before you & then take the whole thing away with the bad ending that really enrages you for being dumb enough to not to expect such a crime against horror.

I just replied about 'Lake Placid' on amazon, but I'll reply here about it here quickly-to be honest, as a horror failure (which it most bloodlessly & gutlessly bleeding is-a right CGI croc of one in fact) 7 the humour wasn't high-brow either, little happened & the big stars could really annoy if you weren't such a fan of them, but I tend to let wimp-outs like this escape without too much of a battering, as human killer scenearios/dead people films that aren't about dead people get on my wick far more, but still I don't rate this as a horror at all (therefore not a good thing, as as a comedy, t's only marginally better!

It's certainly impossible to see what those were driving at when they stated in DVD mags that it should be rated far higher than 'Deep Blue Sea'-please! Whatever its fallacies (& enough people moan about them) 'DBS' at least delivers horror! Plus the 2 killer croc films mentioned above-not just by me-plus 'Alligator' itself from 1981 makes my annoyance towards it unnecessary as I don't have to see it again. (Of course this matters little when you spend to see it, thinking it's a horror film-I implore you to see all said killer reptile films if you haven't & see what they can really do. I even found the Anacondas 2 way better than the cwappy 1st one with Jon Voight, even if the location changed to Asia where Anacondas are not! But killer snake films are harder to nail than croc ones so I was impressed (not that any sequel could be worse than the first!). Not high art of course, but cool-they didn't even kill the pet monkey!

I lean entirely to your disapointment with 'Lake Flaccid'-a film where the most brill item-the croc-was completely wasted! Worse there is 2 sequels (of course-no I haven't seen them.

Maybe there's a plot for a zombie there-they could find a couple of newly-happy renaimated non-corpses where we buried our cursed hatchets! & they say horror can't have happy endings!

Posted on 25 Oct 2010 02:28:24 BDT
[Deleted by Amazon on 6 Dec 2012 08:55:48 GMT]

Posted on 25 Oct 2010 17:41:11 BDT
JONESY says:
I liked Timber Falls too.

Posted on 25 Oct 2010 18:54:58 BDT
Post Soviet says:
they could start filming monster-coalas...
'coala vs kangaroo'

Posted on 25 Oct 2010 19:52:53 BDT
P. Smyth says:
The best ever OZ films BAD TASTE and BRAINDEAD by lord of the rings Peter Jackson Awesome

In reply to an earlier post on 25 Oct 2010 22:03:40 BDT
Last edited by the author on 25 Oct 2010 22:07:47 BDT
See. I knew we were almost virtual twins who will end up probably agreeing more than not! Can't believe I forgot to add 'Bad Taste' & 'Braindead' to this forum (P.Smyth on the ball there). Three times lucky, Jonesy, what we gonna agree on next. As I would guess you've seen more horror stuff than I have, I think I'll be relying on you more than you will on me, but it could axe-swing roundabouts-the axe (being friendly) replacing the hostile but now very buried hatchet!
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the horror discussion forum (806 discussions)

ARRAY(0xa02514e0)

This discussion

Discussion in:  horror discussion forum
Participants:  38
Total posts:  98
Initial post:  18 Oct 2010
Latest post:  14 Dec 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 3 customers

Search Customer Discussions