Customer Discussions > horror discussion forum

Horror magazines - do you still buy them?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-23 of 23 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 29 Apr 2010 16:59:08 BDT
Last edited by the author on 29 Apr 2010 16:59:59 BDT
Mark says:
Without meaning to sound like some A level essay, do you?

I did buy Dark Side and occassionally try SFX and DVD world, but kinda miss the dark side, the letters pages and could never get into Gorezone, but what about y'all?

Posted on 29 Apr 2010 20:40:33 BDT
I really took a dislike to Gorezone and always thought Fangoria a tad too comercial for my tastes but I did buy The Darkside for a few years, in all honesty it is a good read but it was Allan Bryce's bitter rant at Franco and Naschy that finally had me stop bothering with it, I wouldn't have minded if he'd just trashed the directors as people are allowed their opinion and don't have to like what I like but then he went on and on about how the fans of these film-makers are unstable people who you should avoid at all costs, now I don't exactly work well disproving Bryce's claim (I'm not insane as far as I'm aware but I would recommend avoiding me!) but I'm sure there are many Franco or Naschy fans who are pleasant to be around, about half of the regulars here are Franco fans and they seem pleasant and well adjusted.

On the topic Rue Morgue gets a lot of positive publicity, anyone read it as I'm curious as to whether it would be worth looking into?

In reply to an earlier post on 29 Apr 2010 20:50:46 BDT
Mark says:
Hi... yes, I don't know what it is about Gorezone but it just feels/looks cheap, and it's so badly written and put together, now it seems like they wanna be Empire or something?!!
I loved John Martin's reviews in The Darkside, and the way it was written was good, but Bryce did seem to make it all about him, although you can't really knock him TOO much. Ha ha I know he had it in for anyone who didn't agree with him!!!

Oh yeah Rue morgue is not bad, but it seems to be aimed at teens a bit, I've only read a few, but it doesn't really cover classic British or giallo films, it's okay, just not much fun for those of us who grew up in "nasties era" Britain and lived through the James Ferman era...

In reply to an earlier post on 29 Apr 2010 20:51:51 BDT
[Deleted by the author on 29 Apr 2010 20:52:09 BDT]

Posted on 29 Apr 2010 21:03:01 BDT
Got to agree Tani, John Martin was the highlight of The Darkside, he also wrote some books, mainly dealing with the whole nasties fiasco and the films involved, I figure you already knew this however.

Judging by your comment I won't go out of my way for Rue Morgue and it goes without saying Gorezone won't be getting another chance, I think what makes it so hard to find a good horror mag these days is that anything they can tell you is easy enough to find online and to get good sales continuously most mags resort to doing lots of stuff on films that are already advertised to death on TV and bus posters, thats why I find often its better buying books on the subject than magazines usually, well thats my thoughts anyway.

Posted on 29 Apr 2010 21:18:43 BDT
Have you tried "Is It Uncut?" from Midnight Media, they also publish "Giallo Scrapbook", the third of which should be out soon.

Posted on 29 Apr 2010 21:27:55 BDT
Another Giallo Scrapbook would be great, as for "Is It Uncut?" never read it, can you recommend it Count?

In reply to an earlier post on 29 Apr 2010 21:28:45 BDT
Mark says:
No way, I forgot about Is It Uncut, had no idea you could still get it, woah... I'm going to get it again, is it in full colour yet? (Not that it matters really). I;ve always meant to check out their Giallo scrapbooks, it's got to happen...

Posted on 29 Apr 2010 21:37:43 BDT
AW and Tani,

"Is It Uncut?" remains mainly black and white and a new issue hasn't been published for sometime, as far as I'm aware.#25 was the last one issued. It's a good read and covers loads of films, censorship and some pre-cert video. Have a look at the Midnight Media website, there's the cover for Giallo Scrapbook 3 on there too.

Posted on 29 Apr 2010 21:50:01 BDT
Rachel says:
Did any of you read Fear magazine in the 80's and 90's? I used to love it as it had such a good mix of things in it and was always thoughtfully written. I was gutted when they stopped it. Still have some choice back issues though.

Posted on 29 Apr 2010 22:54:15 BDT
Remember these:

Eyeball
Shock Xpress
Dark Terrors
European Trash Cinema
Asian Trash Cinema
Flesh and Blood
Samhain
In the Flesh
Ecco
Gore Gazette
Trash Compactor
Draculina
Videooze
Ungawa!
Necronomicon
and the excellent 1 Shot series of booklets by Tim Greaves

In reply to an earlier post on 29 Apr 2010 23:10:02 BDT
i also used to read the darkside and loved it but i think its dead now, i remember buying a mag called ' shivers' which was not in dark sides league but half decent nevertheless

Posted on 29 Apr 2010 23:32:15 BDT
Doc Benway says:
I read 'Skeleton Crew' for a bit, then it disappeared.

Posted on 1 May 2010 21:41:34 BDT
I got these today, "Creepy Images" vol 1-3. Rather fine, check the website out for images and details. www.creepy-images.com

Posted on 5 Jun 2011 00:18:46 BDT
I read a magazine called Eating The Voltage. I think it must have been a very local magazine to where I used to live because no one else ever seemed to have heard of it. Always had some very good stories in it. Two of the writers I particularly liked were Guy Burtenshaw and Kerry T Passmore. There's a collection on Kindle by Guy Burtenshaw and i know it's the same writer as one of the stories in the collection is a story I remember reading well, and I also remember not being able to sleep for a couple of nights after reading.

Posted on 7 Jun 2011 19:44:19 BDT
Rich says:
Cinema Sewer

Cinema Sewer is good trashy fun. There are three volumes collected in books all on Amazon. If you want high end, glossy publishing then go elsewhere, but if you prefer the idea of one deranged, Canadian nutter wading through the bottom layer of slime from horror and adult movies it's a winner. A note of caution, the books are often hand lettered and quite hard to read at first glance, but do contain reviews and articles on people and movies you've never seen or read about before.

In reply to an earlier post on 22 Oct 2011 19:08:56 BDT
N. Messenger says:
Hell yeah, I remember 'Fear.' Must have all my copies somewhere....with the dodgy Oliver Frey cover art...but at least I didn't forget his name!

Posted on 22 Oct 2011 19:51:26 BDT
Adam Jackson says:
Is Fangoria still going?? I remember a couple of very good publications back in the eighties, Cinefantastique and Cinefex.

Hammer also had their own magazine which I recall fondly, especially the comic strip adaptations of their best known movies.

Posted on 25 Oct 2011 10:37:16 BDT
Shaun says:
Samhain was great, what a blast from the past, I finished my DPP39 list and many more thanks to the ads in the back of that Mag, Class.

Posted on 25 Oct 2011 11:00:09 BDT
[Deleted by the author on 25 Oct 2011 11:01:08 BDT]

Posted on 7 Jan 2012 15:21:38 GMT
M. G P SCOTT says:
I'd buy Fangoria still if it wasn't so expensive these days! Even doing an official subscription is much more than it ever used to be. Ho hum.

Posted on 19 Jan 2012 16:19:58 GMT
Ian Williams says:
Dark Side is back. I picked up the Nov/Dec issue a few weeks ago in WHS.

Posted on 16 Feb 2012 23:46:39 GMT
G. Wilson says:
I read Famous Monsters, Little Shoppe of Horrors, and occasionally Rue Morgue. I gave up on both the Dark Side & Gorezone. And thank you for mentioning Samhain. I had forgotten about that one - now I've just got to find the box in my flat that I stored them all in!
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the horror discussion forum (816 discussions)

This discussion

Discussion in:  horror discussion forum
Participants:  14
Total posts:  23
Initial post:  29 Apr 2010
Latest post:  16 Feb 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 2 customers

Search Customer Discussions