Shop now Shop Clothing clo_fly_aw15_NA_shoes Shop All Shop All Amazon Fashion Cloud Drive Photos Shop Amazon Fire TV Shop now Shop Fire HD 6 Shop Kindle Voyage Shop Now Shop now
Customer Discussions > horror discussion forum

BBC Ghost Stories

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-19 of 19 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 22 Jun 2012 09:23:20 BDT
Howdy-do. For anyone interested these are being re-released in four volumes (as far as I can see) with the original and remade 'Whistle and I'll come to you' bundled together.
BBC Ghost Stories Volume One: Whistle and I'll Come to You (1968 + 2010) [DVD]
BBC Ghost Stories Volume Two: The Stalls of Barchester / A Warning to the Curious [DVD]BBC Ghost Stories Volume Three: Lost Hearts / The Treasure of Abbot Thomas / The Ash Tree (DVD)
BBC Ghost Stories Volume Four: The Signalman / Stigma / The Ice House (DVD)

In reply to an earlier post on 22 Jun 2012 17:28:09 BDT
The Australians have a boxset with all the M. R. James films you mentioned and the Christopher Lee stories but its a tad pricey, just thought I'd mention.

Posted on 28 Jun 2012 06:49:49 BDT
Yes i have the original signalman,whistle and warning to the curious but will pick these up day 1 !

Posted on 5 Jul 2012 09:43:22 BDT
Last edited by the author on 6 Jul 2012 13:02:00 BDT
Be aware that once the individual volumes have been released, it's my understanding that the BFI intend to release them all together in one box (I think I read October) - so you might want to hold your horses.

I've also read that the Australian release only contains three of the four Christopher Lee narrated stories.

In reply to an earlier post on 5 Jul 2012 17:04:34 BDT
hey 'all of them witches' (I suspect if that is your real name you must experience many hilarious Mr Smoke-too-Much 'well you better cut down a bit then hadn't you?'
'what?'
'er...smoke too much..cut down..I suppose you get that alot ?'
'No, never noticed it before actually' moments ?

thanks for the heads up about these - never bettered in my less than...

Posted on 5 Jul 2012 17:30:15 BDT
I've already pre-ordered volumes 2, 3 and 4, but not 1 - I thought the remake of Whistle was very poor, despite a superb performance from John Hurt, and I absolutely won't buy a set where I'm forced to pay for that as well. When all is said and done, I can watch the 1968 version on Youtube for free, albeit in short segments.

Posted on 5 Jul 2012 19:30:59 BDT
Sort of enjoyed the remake. Would have to see it again though and I could go either way. Cheers for all the info regarding the (Australian) boxset, will hold out for October in that case.
Knocked out in 1973 - Unless I am much mistaken I read a review of yours (on pharmaceuticals) once whereby you stated you were a psychiatrist! Is that correct??
And that is not my real name; would feel a bit silly if it was!
Regards
Phil McCrevice

Posted on 5 Jul 2012 19:41:02 BDT
Hi Phil - yeah I am a an nhs shrink for my sins - and its not my real name either (I'm a russian wrestler in real life)
Ivor Torabolokov

Posted on 11 Jul 2012 17:52:51 BDT
David says:
The Australian release also contains Number 13 and A View From A Hill. Does anyone know if these two M R James adaptions are being released by BFI ?

In reply to an earlier post on 17 Jul 2012 19:13:00 BDT
Seaburgh says:
Yes, Number 13 & View From A Hill are available for pre-order and will also be on the box set. We'll be getting the non-M.R. James stories as well, unlike the Aussie release, so the wait has paid off.

I wonder if the Chris Lee readings will be released as bonus features, and if the mid 80s Robert Powell readings will be as well. I enjoyed those more than the Christopher Lee ones.

Posted on 1 Aug 2012 00:53:17 BDT
A Statistic says:
Have wanted these for a long time, so glad they are being re-released. Will probably wait though and buy the full box set released after.

Ghost Stories for Christmas (5-DVD set)

Posted on 1 Aug 2012 01:03:19 BDT
Typo Stan says:
This was a wonderful series, and I'm sure it will look even better if they have spruced it up for digital or HD.

Personally, though, I found the written stories even creepier.
They are still available free for kindle:
Ghost Stories of an Antiquary Part 2: More Ghost Stories
or for 77p. Nineteen Ghost Stories of M. R. James to Keep You Up At Night The Complete Three Volume Collection

Posted on 1 Aug 2012 10:03:58 BDT
I'll certainly be ordering these. They'll sit very happily alongside my DVDs of Nunkie Theatre Company's excellent versions of some of M R James' best work. I really hope they include the Christopher Lee / Robert Powell versions too, but suspect these will be a future release.

Posted on 3 Aug 2012 16:36:19 BDT
Oh, the Nunkie ones are fabulous - Robert Parry does such a wonderful job on them. I'd give my eyeteeth to be able to go to one of his readings live...

Posted on 18 Aug 2012 16:53:57 BDT
Amnesiac1986 says:
Can't wait for this, only seen Whistle and I'll Come to You, A Warning to the Curious and the Signalman and loved them all so it will be great to see the others.

Posted on 25 Aug 2012 15:30:09 BDT
Well, I just spent a wonderful evening with Stalls of Barchester and Warning to the Curious (both dramatisations and Christopher Lee readings are on the disc) and enjoyed myself immensely.

Posted on 2 Sep 2012 12:43:54 BDT
[Deleted by Amazon on 13 Jan 2013 00:35:01 GMT]

Posted on 22 Oct 2013 16:28:04 BDT
Last edited by the author on 22 Oct 2013 16:32:44 BDT
A Statistic says:
Just thought I'd stick the link below for those like myself, that bought last year's UK release of "Ghost Stories For Christmas" boxset and didn't include it.

Classic Ghost Stories of M R James [DVD]

Also put a link to the new definitive collection 2013 below, which includes the above release. I would've bought this improved re-release myself had I not already bought last year's release. Although I won't be surprised to see yet another release this time next year, with another bonus dvd of something rare.

Ghost Stories for Christmas (Expanded 6-Disc Collection Box Set) [DVD]

Posted on 30 Jan 2014 06:06:55 GMT
Jakk54 says:
Whistle and I'll Come to You is just brilliant.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the horror discussion forum (819 discussions)

More Customer Discussions

Most active community forums
Most active product forums

Amazon forums

This discussion

Discussion in:  horror discussion forum
Participants:  14
Total posts:  19
Initial post:  22 Jun 2012
Latest post:  30 Jan 2014

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions