Customer Discussions > home theatre discussion forum

Sony DVD Home Theatre System

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-14 of 14 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 29 Sep 2010 21:31:20 BDT
I recently purchased a Sony Bravia TV and DVD Home theatre system from John Lewis. I am trying to play the TV sound through the home theatre system but cannot get any sound. I have spoken to the Sony technical team who have told me I need to buy red/white audio leads to plug into the TV. I then need a scart adaptor to plug the audio leads into and then the other end into the DVD player. What they failed to tell me is that the scart socket on the DVD in OUTPUT ONLY. Fortunately the guy at Maplins pointed this out to me.
Can someone please help me!!!???

Posted on 6 Oct 2010 05:56:02 BDT
I have a Sony DAV-DZ260 Home Theatre and that only has one output only Scart too! I wanted to connect and play my cable TV box and my Samsung DVD recorder through the Home Theatre system. So I bought a red/white audio to scart converter with an input/output switch on the scart plug.

I switched the switch on the scart plug to input, plugged the red/white connectors into the red/white audio ouput of the DVD recorder and then plugged the scart into the Sony DAV-DZ260 "output only" scart socket - and hey presto, I can now play all my sound through the Sony Dav system! Doing it this way I can play the radio from my TV cable box through my Home Theatre system even when the TV is switched right off. I'm not sure if this is so if you use an Optical cable from the TV to the Home Theatre system?

You could do the same to get sound from your TV through the Sony Home Theatre system. But as I understand it, you will get better sound quality if you can buy an OPTICAL cable and plug one end into the SPDIF/Optical output on the TV and the other end into the Optical IN socket on the rear of the Home Theatre system. However, as I have said, I'm not sure whether you would be able to play the radio from a cable TV box with the TV off?

Hope this helps?

In reply to an earlier post on 25 Oct 2010 15:11:24 BDT
What are the model numbers of the TV and the Home Theatre system? If you bought them recently, they should be the latest HDMI standard, which allows for bidirectional transmission (like SCARTS have done forever, duh), and an HDMI cable should solve your problem. You bought these items at John Lewis, though, and presumably told them what you wanted to do? If it really is a Home Theatre system, they should have set you up, or at least advised you on how to do it. If you haven't got TV sound through the HT setup, you haven't got what you paid for. Go back and ask them nicely to remedy this.

In reply to an earlier post on 25 Oct 2010 17:35:10 BDT
I don't think the "duh" was really called for Midnight Voice! After all, when the diagrams in user manuals show some HDMI and Scart sockets as in and others as out, us mere mortals believe that is exactly they are!

For instance the diagram for my Sony DAV-Z260 shows the single Scart socket as OUT to TV and the single HDMI and all other sockets (excluding the AM and FM in jacks of course, duh!) as OUT. Whereas the diagrams for my Toshiba Regza XV55 show all HDMI and Scart sockets as IN, with only the Digital Audio SP/DIF shown as an OUTPUT socket.

Perhaps if user manuals were clearer and more helpful, the less technically minded amongst us would better understand what connections are possible?

Posted on 26 Oct 2010 09:51:40 BDT
sony home cinema system,I have set this system up but sound is only coming from one speaker,can anyone explain how to set the system up properly .R.Craven

In reply to an earlier post on 13 Nov 2010 10:55:48 GMT
Have you sorted this out

Posted on 13 Nov 2010 16:07:30 GMT
paul parker says:
i have a sony bravia kdl32p30 a sony dvd home cinema system dz230 and a virgin vbox . the problem im having is that i cannot get any sound from my v box through the cinema system. the picture comes up but the sound i get is coming from the tv can anyone help ? paul

In reply to an earlier post on 14 Nov 2010 09:15:10 GMT
Last edited by the author on 14 Nov 2010 09:16:12 GMT
The V+ should have Stereo Audio Out, Red & White RCA connectors. You need to connect the V+ Stereo Audio Out to the DAV-DZ230 SCART(TV audio in). You will need to pick up an adapter to do this. If the V+ has Scart Audio Out, just pick up a Scart to Scart Audio cable.

In reply to an earlier post on 15 Nov 2010 15:52:43 GMT
paul parker says:
thanks for answer but my box is just a vbox

In reply to an earlier post on 15 Nov 2010 16:25:25 GMT
Mine is also just a V-box but it's still the same principle: If both the V-box and the Dav system have stereo red/white connectors you can just use an audio RCA red/white cable to connect the two. If both the V-box and the DAV system have scart connectors, according to Midnight_Voice you can just use a scart lead to connect the two.

The other alternative is to do as I have done and use a switchable scart to RCA adaptor. Plug the red/white plugs into the V-box and plug the scart end into the DAV system. As I said in my reply to Midnight_Voice, it's just a pity the manuals for these things don't make it a lot easier to know how to connect various equipment using your available connections...but then that would take all the fun out of it, wouldn't it? Joking of course!

If you get stuck, Which have a TV Connection Wizard where you can enter the equipment you wish to connect and it will give you a diagram of how to connect them. Good luck!

Posted on 12 Mar 2012 23:10:50 GMT
I have an LG flat screen tv 1080p and a Panasonic Home Theatre System 5.1 and I was wondering what
cables I would need to set up my home cinema system to receive surround sound whilst watching cable tv through my
my tivo+ box

Posted on 12 Mar 2012 23:22:53 GMT
I have an LG flat screen tv 1080p and a Panasonic Home Theatre System 5.1 and I was wondering what
cables I would need to set up my home cinema system to receive surround sound whilst watching cable tv through my
my tivo+ box

Posted on 13 Mar 2012 14:31:38 GMT
RaMarcus says:
Best thing to check is for an 'Optical Output' on your TV and an 'Optical Input' on your Theatre System. Then what ever sound your TV outputs will go through the Theatre System. Job done.

Posted on 15 Mar 2012 11:06:00 GMT
i have sony home cinema with ipod duck,can anyone tell me how i could connect it to my samsung tv, cause
i have tried many option
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  9
Total posts:  14
Initial post:  29 Sep 2010
Latest post:  15 Mar 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 6 customers

Search Customer Discussions