Shop now Shop now Shop now  Up to 50% Off Fashion  Shop all Amazon Fashion Prime Photos Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now Shop Fire Shop Kindle Listen with Prime Shop now Shop now
Customer Discussions > history discussion forum

Little Known WWII Stories

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 37 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 27 Jun 2014 22:58:19 BDT
[Deleted by Amazon on 10 Sep 2014 13:32:26 BDT]

In reply to an earlier post on 27 Jun 2014 23:57:48 BDT
Anita says:
I wonder if you know that one of most prominent British codebreakers, namely Alan Turing, was gay?

Fortunately for all there were no you during WWII, or else he would had never been allowed to do what he did

Posted on 30 Jun 2014 09:28:51 BDT
gille liath says:
British - not American. Except in the film. ;)

In reply to an earlier post on 30 Jun 2014 09:52:16 BDT
Anita says:
I half expected you to appear and to say that the codes of Enigma machine (which was created somewhere around WWI, not WWII) were first broken not by British, but by Polish codebreakers, and the British just took it from there... :)

As my knowledge of history is not much above the sea level, I'd rather leave it at that ;)

In reply to an earlier post on 30 Jun 2014 10:01:27 BDT
Dan Fante says:
Don't you mean 'well known'?

In reply to an earlier post on 1 Jul 2014 22:59:55 BDT
Ronald Craig says:
The American Everyma'am expects everyone else to know as little about the world as she does.

In reply to an earlier post on 17 Sep 2014 16:00:33 BDT
Last edited by the author on 17 Sep 2014 19:20:03 BDT
Mrs W Waugh says:
Yes I knew that,and thats what cost him his job when it became public knowledge,before that it was an open secret,but back then it was still a crime,crazy isnt that the man who solved enigma and saved this country lost everything, and in the end his life too........

In reply to an earlier post on 17 Sep 2014 16:59:07 BDT
Last edited by the author on 18 Sep 2014 13:45:07 BDT
"the codes of Enigma machine (which was created somewhere around WWI, not WWII) were first broken not by British, but by Polish codebreakers, and the British just took it from there... "

Quite right Anita. The Channel 4 documentary Station X - The Codebreakers Of Bletchley Park [VHS] tells the entire story and truthfully, Alan Turing's part in it was quite small BUT; as the Jamaican Mary Seacole has been substituted for the English Florence Nightingale as the feminist 'Lady of the Lamp' heroine of the Crimean War; so Alan Turing is now being fed to schoolchildren as the lionhearted homosexual who 'saved' us all from Nazi conquest in WWII.

In reality of course, it was American manufacturing power, allied with 20,000,000+ Red Army casualties that 'won the war'. The UK/British Empire was (even then) financially bankrupt and too weak industrially to have done the job.

BUT

Any ideology (particularly those based upon lies and propaganda) needs it's hero figures; hence the eulogising of Alan Turing by the sodomite establishment today. In similar vein Richard Lionheart, Cecil Rhodes, Julius Caesar and Alexander the Great have all been 'claimed' by that same sodomite community in recent years.

In reply to an earlier post on 17 Sep 2014 20:55:09 BDT
Last edited by the author on 17 Sep 2014 20:59:54 BDT
The Enigma code breakers won us the war, without them we'd have lost, it's that simple. The code breakers at Bletchley would not have succeeded without Alan Turing, a genius, the father of the modern computer, a quiet unassuming gentle man, who also happened to be gay.

To suggest Alan Turing's part was quite small is unequivocally false, and clearly just another example of your anti gay homophobic prejudice. You have no shame.

Without Alan Turing the code breakers at Bletchley would not have succeeded in time, and probably not at all. There would have been no second front, and Britain would have been starved into submission, and from there Russia would have faltered.

The only propaganda here is your anti gay homophobic prejudiced agenda. Hardly surprising coming as it does from a 'proud' self confessed member of a Neo-fascist political organisation like the BNP, who has claimed unashamedly to admire the ideas of Hitler.

In reply to an earlier post on 17 Sep 2014 21:20:49 BDT
Last edited by the author on 17 Sep 2014 21:22:33 BDT
"Hardly surprising coming as it does from a 'proud' self confessed member of a Neo-fascist political organisation like the BNP, who has claimed unashamedly to admire the ideas of Hitler. "

Oh really?
My 1983 election team consisted entirely of ex-WWII veterans; with the exception of Dennis Radmore, a combat veteran of the Korean War. All felt deeply aggrieved that the Media utterly ignored their military service/combat medals, whilst labelling them as 'Nazis' IE: the very people they had earned their medals fighting against.

Seems you're regurgitating Media propaganda again Sheldon?

In reply to an earlier post on 18 Sep 2014 03:02:45 BDT
Ronald Craig says:
"My 1983 election team"

The one that carried you into office? Ah yes, good show, that!

In reply to an earlier post on 18 Sep 2014 11:27:29 BDT
Anita says:
It was the happily not-missed Marilyn who started this thread (in case you didn't guess as the OP is obviously deleted). My guess is that she heard of the Enigma machine for the first time somewhere and decided that nobody knows about it (and nobody ever would if she didn't tell them).

Then the thread died a much deserved death, and what was the point of resurrecting it is beyond me

In reply to an earlier post on 18 Sep 2014 12:25:06 BDT
Mrs W Waugh says:
Its good we still talk about him now,the man was a visionary genius,and he also ran marathons too he almost got into the Olympic games back then too,he is and always will be a true hero to me........

In reply to an earlier post on 18 Sep 2014 13:09:08 BDT
Dan Fante says:
Did your election team consist of everyone who voted for you?

In reply to an earlier post on 18 Sep 2014 13:41:24 BDT
Last edited by the author on 18 Sep 2014 13:45:39 BDT
So exactly how could a fair/impartial Media describe as a 'Nazi' the man who, I quote:-

"lost his seventeen year old brother on the beaches of Dunkirk, fought Rommel's Africa Corp to a standstill in North Africa; then stormed up Sword beach on D-Day and didn't get any leave until VE-Day"

That man was ex-Royal Signals sergeant Leonard Bearsford-Walker, a fellow BNP candidate in Plymouth; one of the finest, bravest and most honourable men it's been my privilege to have known. A genuine war hero, betrayed by a venal Media that systematically 'airbrushed out' the chestful of campaign medals AND Disabled Ex-Serviceman's Medal/badge he wore; from every newspaper picture they printed of him.

As a staunch supporter of 'Liberal' free-speech and Press/Media honesty yourself Mr Fante ?

I'm feel sure you'll applaud such 'Fascist methods', being secretively used to mislead the thinking of people just like yourself? by the British Media amid a British national election?

In reply to an earlier post on 18 Sep 2014 13:57:12 BDT
Anita says:
Can you really be bothered, Dan? This just invokes more of prejudice-based lies, I guess

In reply to an earlier post on 18 Sep 2014 14:07:55 BDT
Last edited by the author on 18 Sep 2014 14:10:54 BDT
Dan Fante says:
We've only got your word for the airbrushing etc. What is a matter of record is that virtually none (if any) of your fellow ex-servicemen voted for either you or your pal.
Perhaps you should ask yourself why. Although I have little doubt you'll try and convinced yourself that it's down to some establishment-orchestrated plot rather than face the unsavoury (for you) truth of the matter.

In reply to an earlier post on 18 Sep 2014 14:38:06 BDT
Last edited by the author on 18 Sep 2014 14:58:57 BDT
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on 18 Sep 2014 14:40:17 BDT
Anita says:
Isn't that funny when someone's trying to refute what you say by not working links and unfinished sentences (as always)? :)

In reply to an earlier post on 18 Sep 2014 14:40:59 BDT
Last edited by the author on 18 Sep 2014 14:42:29 BDT
Dan Fante says:
"I also know that a former BNP member prepared to 'collaborate' with the 'Powers that Be', got a safe Lib/Lab/Con seat on Plymouth City Council within weeks/months (it's a long time ago and memory of the dates/times involved fades) of that election."

Yet another anecdote painfully short on details and checkable facts. How convenient.

Posted on 18 Sep 2014 14:47:23 BDT
Last edited by the author on 18 Sep 2014 14:51:09 BDT
"Isn't that funny when someone's trying to refute what you say by not working links and unfinished sentences (as always)? "

Seems stranger that you're unable to use your computer effectively? but that said; which of the above Mainstream Media exposes of British electorial fraud would you like me to post in full for you Anita?

How about this one? for starters:-

EXCLUSIVE: Senior East Lancs politician suspended after election fraud accusation

First published Wednesday 21 May 2014 in News Last updated 13:04 Wednesday 21 May 2014 .
Lancashire Telegraph: Photograph of the Author by Bill Jacobs, Local government reporter

A SENIOR Labour politician has been suspended by her party during a police investigation after her father accused her of election fraud.

Clare Pritchard, deputy leader of Hyndburn Council, faces her dad and UKIP candidate Malcolm in a head-to-head contest for Milnshaw ward in Accrington in the local polls tomorrow.

Yesterday, it emerged he had claimed there was evidence that four voters from other wards had been registered as living at her Moss Hall Road home address in the ward. This would allow them to vote for her in tomorrow's election.

Mr Pritchard claims his daughter is responsible. Ms Pritchard has not responded to invitations from the Telegraph to answer the accusation.

In the latest round of an increasingly bitter family political feud, he reported her to Hyndburn's returning officer Jane Ellis who then passed on the complaint to Lancashire Police who are taking a tough line on alleged electoral malpractice in East Lancashire.

As a result of the investigation, the Labour Party suspended her membership until the probe is completed.

However, she will continue to contest the ward as a Labour candidate in tomorrow's election.

She will also be at least temporarily stripped of her post as deputy leader of Hyndburn Council and chairman of Lancashire County Council's audit and governance committee.

A Lancashire Police spokesman confirmed there was an investigation in relation to allegations of electoral malpractice.

A Hyndburn Borough Council spokesman said: "A complaint regarding electoral irregularities in the Milnshaw ward has been received and is under investigation.

"We have taken advice from the Electoral Commission and the election in Milnshaw will run as normal in respect of the two candidates. We cannot comment on the details of the complaint as it remains under investigation."

A Labour North West spokesman said in regard to Ms Pritchard: "The party had been made aware of a police investigation and therefore has suspended the candidate in question.

"The party will investigate this matter after the police investigation has concluded."

UKIP North-West press officer Lynda Roughley said: "The complaint was made by her father Malcolm Pritchard. It is about people from other wards being registered to vote in Milnshaw ward."

The feud between the father and daughter has grown since he left the Labour party to become an independent.

In last year's Lancashire county elections, Ms Pritchard ousted him as independent councillor for Accrington North.

He then joined UKIP and stood against her in Milnshaw ward where they both used to be Labour councillors.

Earlier this month, she accused her father of being `a one-man rainbow coalition' and claimed he had `repeatedly accused' her `of bringing the family into disrepute by standing against him in elections'.

He denies making any such statements about his daughter.

Ms Pritchard and Hyndburn Labour leader Miles Parkinson did not return several phone calls from the Lancashire Telegraph.

Mr Pritchard said: "When I examined the postal voting records I found four voters registered at Clare's address home I knew came from other wards. One was from Peel ward and three from Church.

"I raised this with her and she declined to do anything.

"Clare has ruined her career for four votes. I am devastated. She is a talented and hard-working politician. It is very painful.

"It's all about power struggles in the Labour Party. I am very sad for her."

Hyndburn Tory leader Peter Britcliffe said: "I am just shocked at the allegations. She is a rising star of the Labour Party.

"It shows that political rivalry and families don't mix."

Earlier this month police, ministers and the Electoral Commission launched a drive to tackle misuse of postal and proxy votes in 16 `high risk' areas.

They include Blackburn with Darwen, Burnley, Pendle and Hyndburn.

In 2012 Pendle Tory MP Andrew Stephenson claimed postal vote fraud was `widespread' in the South Asian community.

Posted on 18 Sep 2014 14:56:05 BDT
Here's the article about Richard Mawrey QC, tasked with investigating a few of the examples mentioned above:-

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Richard Mawrey QC is a barrister and Deputy High Court Judge in the United Kingdom. He is a bencher of Gray's Inn and a member of Henderson Chambers.[1] In his role as a judge in election cases, he has repeatedly criticised the postal voting system in the United Kingdom.

Mawrey came to public notice in 2005 as the Commissioner presiding over the Election court which ruled that the 2004 elections in two Birmingham City Council wards, Aston and Bordesley Green, had been invalid due to extensive electoral fraud through the manipulation of postal ballots.[2][3] He found six Labour councillors personally guilty of corrupt practices, although one was cleared on appeal.[4] He also severely criticised the whole postal vote system, saying, of a Government statement that "the systems already in place to deal with the allegations of electoral fraud are clearly working", that "anybody who has sat through the case I have just tried and listened to evidence of electoral fraud that would disgrace a banana republic would find this statement surprising."[5]

Other recent cases in which Mawrey has sat as Commissioner in election cases include a petition against the result for the Central Borough ward of Slough Borough Council held on 3 May 2007.[6] In that case he said "I have been appalled ... by the ease with which these substantial frauds were committed", and went on to say that "despite the 2006 [Electoral Administration] Act, the opportunities for easy and effective electoral fraud remain substantially as they were on 4th April 2005."[7]

References[edit]

1.Jump up ^ "Barrister profile: Richard Mawrey". Legal 500. Retrieved 8 October 2010.
2.Jump up ^ "Judgment in the matters of Local Government elections for the Bordesley Green and Aston Wards of the Birmingham City Council both held on 10th June 2004". HM Courts Service. 4 April 2005. Retrieved 30 April 2010.
3.Jump up ^ BBC coverage of Mawrey's ruling
4.Jump up ^ "Afzal, R (on the application of) v Election Court & Ors 2005 EWCA Civ 647". British and Irish Legal Information Institute. 26 May 2005. Retrieved 30 April 2010.
5.Jump up ^ Para 716 of the "Judgment in the matters of Local Government elections for the Bordesley Green and Aston Wards of the Birmingham City Council both held on 10th June 2004". HM Courts Service. 4 April 2005. Retrieved 30 April 2010.
6.Jump up ^ "Simmons v Khan 2008 EWHC B4 (QB)". British and Irish Legal Information Institute. 18 March 2008. Retrieved 1 May 2010. and "The Conservative and Unionist Party v The Election Commissioner & Ors 2010 EWHC 285 (Admin)". British and Irish Legal Information Institute. 19 February 2010. Retrieved 1 May 2010.
7.Jump up ^ Paras 345 and 352 of Simmons v Khan

In reply to an earlier post on 18 Sep 2014 14:59:25 BDT
Anita says:
Actually it's you unable to use your computer. Or else you lied about not working links given by someone else a while back.

Other people also see your sloppy work of unfinished sentences and not working links, btw. No wonder all your life was a failure

Posted on 18 Sep 2014 15:03:04 BDT
This one from the Guardian seems interesting?

Quote:-

Police asked to investigate more than 50 allegations of electoral fraud

West Yorkshire accounts for nearly half of claims of 'ghost' voters, false statements and multiple votes being investigated

Thousands of postal votes being counted in Bradford, where former councillors have been imprisoned for electoral fraud. Photograph: John Giles/PA

Rajeev Syal

Friday 23 May 2014 16.00 BST

Share this article
Share via Email
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+

Police across the UK have been asked to investigate more than 50 allegations of electoral fraud related to Thursday's elections in areas previously identified as vulnerable to vote-rigging, new figures show.

Officers in Manchester, Bradford, London and Birmingham have begun inquiries after receiving complaints about "ghost" voters, false statements by candidates and multiple attempts to vote by a single person.

The inquiries have emerged after the Guardian contacted police forces covering 16 areas that the elections watchdog has identified as being vulnerable to electoral fraud, particularly around the use of postal votes.

As well as Birmingham and Bradford, they include Blackburn with Darwen, Burnley, Calderdale, Coventry, Derby, Hyndburn, Kirklees, Oldham, Pendle, Peterborough, Slough, Tower Hamlets, Walsall and Woking.

West Yorkshire police, whose officers serve Bradford where former councillors have been imprisoned for electoral fraud, said they had received 21 allegations of electoral irregularities.

DI Ian Lawrie, of protective services (crime), said: "We have currently had 21 allegations that have been recorded for further investigation for election-related incidents. These include a number of matters under the Representation of the People Act 1983."

On Thursday, there were 14 investigations across Greater London, according to a Metropolitan police spokesman. These included the arrest of two prospective councillors in Tower Hamlets, east London, and Enfield, north London, for false declarations on election papers. Police have also been asked to investigate allegations of intimidation and tampering with postal votes in the east London borough.

West Midlands police, which oversees parts of Birmingham and Walsall, said that they had received 11 allegations of electoral fraud.

In Greater Manchester, police have launched five inquiries - three inquiries into the eligibility of candidates to stand in the elections, one into a claim that a person had voted twice and another into claims of a false statement on an election leaflet, a spokesman said.

Ukip have sought to exploit electoral fraud allegations in Oldham, which is overseen by Greater Manchester police, by lampooning postal vote fraud in an election leaflet. The document, distributed by a former Labour councillor, claimed that it was easy for certain councillors to win because they can count on "the white folk not voting".

A spokesman for Lancashire police, which covers towns including Burnley, Darwen and Hyndburn, where there have been previous allegations of fraud, said they would only release information about electoral fraud if an application was made under the Freedom of Information Act - a process that can take weeks.

Thames Valley police said they had received eight allegations of minor misconduct relating to issues such as printing irregularities, four of which have been resolved, but had not received any claims of electoral fraud.

Surrey, Derbyshire and Cambridgeshire police have not yet released any figures.

An Electoral Commission report in January identified the 16 boroughs and cities as vulnerable to electoral fraud and called for increased police involvement in elections.

At one point the commission considered dropping postal voting in these areas to combat fraud. But, following a public consultation, it decided this would unfairly hit many ordinary people who needed to vote by post.

Instead, it has urged the police to patrol polling stations during elections in the 16 named areas and dedicate more resources to investigating electoral-fraud allegations, which critics complain have been a low priority for the police.

In reply to an earlier post on 18 Sep 2014 15:08:02 BDT
Last edited by the author on 18 Sep 2014 15:12:47 BDT
Dan Fante says:
"I also know that a former BNP member prepared to 'collaborate' with the 'Powers that Be', got a safe Lib/Lab/Con seat on Plymouth City Council within weeks/months (it's a long time ago and memory of the dates/times involved fades) of that election."

Yet another anecdote painfully short on details and checkable facts. How convenient.

And why would I wish to both harm a 'decent' man's political career (if he is still there?), and also expose myself to possible legal action Mr Fante?

But feel free to do your own investigation. As you say, it's all a "matter of record" anyhow.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the history discussion forum (102 discussions)

Discussion Replies Latest Post
Are ISIS fighters morally superior to all the British soldiers that fought in WW2. 0 30 May 2016
The MYTH of HITLER. The cartoon baddie the British invented after the World War THEY started killed MILLIONS. 0 21 May 2016
Apart from Britain, which is obviously No 1, which nation has murdered more people worldwide. 2 19 May 2016
Which revolt suppression was the most cruel 10 19 May 2016
Britain bungled into WW2 with stupid political posturing, it achieved nothing but the death of millions, it did nothing for Poland which was occupied by the soviets for the next 50 years. Britain plundged europe into the dark ages because of vainity. 1 14 May 2016
Was Churchill a homosexual, a paedophile and a drug addict. 2 13 May 2016
Why can you not discus N I G E R history on Amazon. 0 8 May 2016
War crimes 1 7 May 2016
With there unmanned aircraft the Americans have the ability to kill anyone would it help if they killed Assad 1 7 May 2016
The Lusitania was far more important historically than the Titanic 136 2 Feb 2016
Ten years ago Bush and Blair disarmed Gadhafi WMD-wise with their invasion of Iraq 83 11 Aug 2015
victorian customs of death and mourning 5 2 Aug 2015

More Customer Discussions

Most active community forums
Most active product forums

Amazon forums

This discussion

Discussion in:  history discussion forum
Participants:  10
Total posts:  37
Initial post:  27 Jun 2014
Latest post:  19 Sep 2014

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions