Customer Discussions > historical fiction discussion forum

Scottish Historical Fiction

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 53 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 27 Jul 2012 19:41:02 BDT
I am looking for recomendations please, I have read all of Diana Gabaldons books and Barbara Erskine too. Also read most of Nigel Tranters books when I was younger. Can anyone recomend any others along the same lines?

Many thanks
Babz

In reply to an earlier post on 27 Jul 2012 21:19:21 BDT
Robert Low has started a series on Robert Bruce. I've read the first, which I enjoyed, but haven't tried the second, yet. I don't know if there's a third at all (but I believe there will be, if it's not already out).

The first is called The Lion Wakes.

There's also another series on the Bruce, by Robin Young, starting with Insurrection (Insurrection Trilogy 1). Again, it's a trilogy, but I don't think Book 2 is out, yet.

They both deal with the Bruce, but in *very* different ways.

Posted on 30 Aug 2012 16:22:51 BDT
Sou'Wester says:
I enjoyed "The Redemption of Alexander Seaton" by Shona MacLean. It's set in 17th century Banff.

Posted on 2 Sep 2012 23:08:32 BDT
I enjoyed Follow the Dove and The Shimmer Of The Herring and The River Flows On

Posted on 4 Sep 2012 20:25:32 BDT
I. Byrne says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

Posted on 4 Sep 2012 20:30:04 BDT
I. Byrne says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on 5 Sep 2012 13:02:18 BDT
The ultimate Scottish history series has to be The Lymond Chronicles by Dorothy Dunnett. The first is Game of Kings. They can be difficult to track down as readers tend to treasure their copies (I had to buy my last from the USA). I've been a fan since the early 70s and re-read the series regularly.

Posted on 6 Sep 2012 13:14:53 BDT
Nicola Byrne says:
Have you read Maggie Craig? Damn' Rebel Bitches: The Women of the '45
She also writes fiction set in Glasgow.

Posted on 8 Sep 2012 12:28:12 BDT
VCBF (Val) says:
You could look at James Robertson and Neil Gunn, or the 'classics' like Sir Walter Scott and Robert Louis Stephenson.

In reply to an earlier post on 11 Sep 2012 19:47:23 BDT
Nicola Byrne says:
Yes Tracy, I can recommend Follow the Dove. Haven't read the other two but will get to them.

Posted on 14 Sep 2012 10:09:35 BDT
Neil Gunn and George MacKay-Brown, both brilliant writers of their time. And did anyone mention Nigel Tranter?

In reply to an earlier post on 14 Sep 2012 20:06:26 BDT
LEP says:
Well you've read the one I'd have recommended i.e. Tranter.

What about:
Robert Louis Stevenson
Sir Walter Scott
James Grant

Also:
The Bruce Trilogy - N Gemini Sasson
Scottish War for Independence trilogy - Leanne Burroughs

I haven't read either of the two above, so no idea what they are like.

In reply to an earlier post on 22 Sep 2012 20:00:40 BDT
I second the recommendation of The Lymond Chronicles; head and shoulders above everything else. Although some people do find them too complex.

Posted on 24 Sep 2012 10:35:36 BDT
D. Cooper says:
A previous poster mentioned Dorothy Dunnett's "Lymond" series, her "Niccolo" series also has Scottish connections and of course there is her take on Macbeth, "King Hereafter". I highly recommend all of these which have given me many hours of happy reading.

In reply to an earlier post on 27 Sep 2012 17:30:45 BDT
Tak says:
dorothy dunnett's books have been reprinted and were available from the writers museum in edinburgh a couple of years ago when I completed my collection

Posted on 1 Nov 2012 16:58:39 GMT

Posted on 6 Nov 2012 17:56:34 GMT
Last edited by the author on 14 Nov 2012 23:26:56 GMT
Brian , says:

In reply to an earlier post on 7 Nov 2012 19:38:26 GMT
Last edited by the author on 7 Nov 2012 19:46:15 GMT
LEP says:
Freedom's Sword - J R Tomlin
Highland Vengeance Bk1 - K E Saxon
Wallace the Hero of Scotland - James Paterson
The Search for Jacob's Pillow - H David Brown
The Scottish Armada - John Young
Tom Fleck - harry nicholson
The Witching Voice - Arnold Johnston
The Forest Laird: A Tale of William Wallace - Jack Whyte
The Serpent - Neil M Gunn

In reply to an earlier post on 22 Nov 2012 13:40:47 GMT
MGM says:

Posted on 24 Nov 2012 18:13:11 GMT
[Deleted by the author on 24 Nov 2012 18:14:09 GMT]

Posted on 25 Nov 2012 12:03:11 GMT
Roxy says:
I'd recommend Robert Low's Kingdom series.

Robert the Bruce's story as told though the intertwining story of Sir Hal Sientcler, a minor noble from Lothian.

In reply to an earlier post on 25 Nov 2012 14:02:23 GMT
Is the second one out, now, Roxy? I enjoyed the first one, but haven't kept up-to-date with the release schedules recently.

Posted on 28 Nov 2012 16:56:49 GMT
Haven't tried it yet, but for something completely different, there was a 'historical' Doctor Who novel came out this year set in the Western Isles. http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-highlands-islands-16651810

Posted on 14 Feb 2013 09:49:18 GMT
If you are interested in Historical Fiction set during the first world war in Edinburgh please take this short survey to help with an upcoming republished version of Christine Orr's The Glorious Thing http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/KGRR8TP.

Many Thanks

Posted on 14 Feb 2013 13:19:53 GMT
You could try Shirley MacKay who writes of Elizabethan Fife and Edinburgh. People have already mentioned Dunnett.
Jen Black
‹ Previous 1 2 3 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the historical fiction discussion forum (97 discussions)

ARRAY(0xa712c660)

This discussion

Participants:  33
Total posts:  53
Initial post:  27 Jul 2012
Latest post:  5 Feb 2014

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 6 customers

Search Customer Discussions