Customer Discussions > historical fiction discussion forum

Publisher looking for new historical fiction authors

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 117 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 15 Sep 2011 09:24:16 BDT
Last edited by the author on 16 Sep 2011 10:25:08 BDT
Jonboy says:
My name is Jonathan Wright and I work for Pen & Sword Books, one of the UK's largest military history publishers. We're interested in launching a historical fiction imprint and are currently on the look out for new authors. We're interested in all periods from ancient history to present day. Books can be about any aspect of history and do not necessarily have to contain a military theme. If anyone has written a book and would like to submit it for consideration, we'd be delighted to hear from you. We're also interested in titles that are now out of print, so if you know of any classics that you would like to see back in print, please let me know. My email address is marketing@pen-and-sword.co.uk.

In reply to an earlier post on 16 Sep 2011 10:51:31 BDT
[Deleted by the author on 31 Oct 2011 14:58:12 GMT]

Posted on 17 Sep 2011 12:25:22 BDT
Mary Bale says:
Hello,
This is a fascinating proposition. I too have an e-book:Threads of Treason (Anglo-Norman mysteries)
It is selling well on kindle, but I do not have it in a paper format. Again it is available in search inside on Amazon.com. But I will drop you an e-mail too.

In reply to an earlier post on 17 Sep 2011 13:55:58 BDT
Hi

I have an ebook about Shanghai in 1936/7 as it is about to be attacked by the Japanese - A Circle Has No End - information can be found on my web site www.tony-henderson.com

Best wishes
Tony

Posted on 17 Sep 2011 19:02:50 BDT
If you fancy a bit of Scottish medieval history woven into a fantasy epic with a touch of magic, The Blackgloom Bounty might be your cup o' tea. Episode 2, The Regents of Rhum is also available on the UK Kindle.

In reply to an earlier post on 18 Sep 2011 17:14:31 BDT
Last edited by the author on 18 Sep 2011 17:17:36 BDT
Dear Mr Wright

Re: 'Song of the Legions' by Michael Large

I am the author of a novel set during the Napoleonic Wars. It is about General Dabrowski's Polish Legion, the forerunner of the French Foreign Legion, and I intend to make it into a series which would run for about nine books. The hero of the book (and the series) is a real soldier who was named Ignatius Blumer and he was a sort of real-life Polish version of Richard Sharpe. He was a mercenary and a pirate, he won the Polish and the French versions on the Victoria Cross, and he married an Italian Countess. His exploits took him from the Polish Uprising of 1794 through Italy, Egypt, Haiti, and to the gates of Moscow in 1812.

The book is based on fact and deals with the very tragic and heroic story of Poland during the Napoleonic Wars. Polish history and culture is very relevant now with the number of Polish people coming into the UK, the forthcoming Polish Presidency of the EU, and even the European football championships in 2012 in Poland/Ukraine.

I was interviewed by Professor David Stephenson of the LSE about the book on 21 May this year and the Polish Culture website were kind enough to post an article about it recently.

Posted on 18 Sep 2011 17:18:23 BDT
Song of the Legions

Posted on 18 Sep 2011 17:25:58 BDT
Hello, I have written part one of an historical saga. I POD published and kindle published. As a POD I sold 200 copies, but then became ill with breast cancer and could not continue promotion work for a while. I have won my battle and kindle published at the end of July, I have sold 93 copies. All my reviews on Amazon.co.uk and Amazon,com are 5*.

I am writing the prequel at present and have two sequels planned. I tell it as it was so there is adult content, both violent and sexual. Although available on kindle, today I edited the formatting as I had not done a very good job in my first attempt. It will therefore not be available until Monday 19th Sept after 4pm. Thank you for this opportunity to submit my book for publication. Below is the back book text.

An Unbreakable Bond
By Mary Wood

It is 1913 and for Megan and Hattie, born on the turn of the century and brought up in a convent orphanage in Leeds where they formed a bond as deep as if they had been sisters, the time has come to take up their placements and make their way in the world.

Megan's path leads her to fall into a marriage with a man she does not love and at whose hands she suffers beatings and rape. With Hattie's help she finally escapes, but her path crosses that of the beautiful, rich and powerful, Laura Harvey. It is Laura's need to have her wish at any price that triggers an eruption of violence that brings Megan near to death and sends the man both Megan and Laura love to prison, for a murder he did not commit.

Hattie's path crosses that of paedophile, Lord Marley. She is raped by him and his companion. Her ten pound silence money buys her an abortion but her choices have gone and she is forced into a life of prostitution. It is when she stumbles across an evil, child sex ring and is determined to break it that she once more encounters Lord Marley and though she succeeds in her quest and gets her revenge, she pays a terrible price.

But, throughout, Megan and Hattie know their unbreakable bond will bring them through and for both too, a rare and true love is waiting

In reply to an earlier post on 18 Sep 2011 20:42:41 BDT
Flat Cap says:
Hello Jonathan,
During the desperate defence of Moscow in 1941/2, a father and daughter fight for the Red Army: he as a general, she as a sniper.
The Whole Rotten Edifice, a work of historical fiction, takes place on the Russian Front during WWII. The title comes from words attributed to Adolf Hitler during the run up to Operation Barbarossa: "We have only to kick in the door and the whole rotten edifice will come crashing down."
There are two narrative threads, one from the viewpoint of the young sniper, the second from her father's, who is a Red Army General, defending the frontier at the time of the invasion. After Moscow escapes from imminent disaster, both become involved in a series of battles to the west of the city. The famous Russian victories at Stalingrad, Kursk and Leningrad have overshadowed the actions around Rzhev and Vyazma. The forces deployed and losses incurred by the Red Army were greater than at Stalingrad, but they have been all but erased from history by subsequent accounts, because the offensives failed.

The Whole Rotten Edifice

In reply to an earlier post on 19 Sep 2011 11:33:02 BDT
Jonboy says:
Hi Mary

Thank you for your message. Yes, we'd be interested in having a look at your novel. Please could you email it through to marketing@pen-and-sword.co.uk and we'll review and get back to you.

Best wishes

Jon

In reply to an earlier post on 19 Sep 2011 11:43:10 BDT
Jonboy says:
Hi Jon

Please could you email your manuscript through and we'll have a look and get back to you? My email is marketing@pen-and-sword.co.uk.

Thanks

Jon

In reply to an earlier post on 19 Sep 2011 11:49:34 BDT
Jonboy says:
Hi Michael

Thank you for your proposal. This sounds very interesting, please could you send a copy of your manuscript to me? My email is marketing@pen-and-sword.co.uk.

Thanks

Jon

In reply to an earlier post on 19 Sep 2011 11:52:32 BDT
Jonboy says:
Dear Ms Wood

Thank you for your note and proposal.

Whilst your book sounds interesting, it isn't quite the sort of thing we're looking for but I wish you all the best with this and your other books.

Best wishes

Jon

In reply to an earlier post on 19 Sep 2011 11:59:20 BDT
Jonboy says:
This sounds absolutely perfect, exactly the type of book we're looking for. Please could you email a full manuscript over? My address is marketing@pen-and-sword.co.uk.

Thanks

Jon

Posted on 21 Sep 2011 06:53:16 BDT
Last edited by the author on 21 Sep 2011 06:57:53 BDT
Dear Mr Wright,
Being a Scouse and a lover of history, is it any wonder that my first novel is set in Liverpool. Would you consider Ice King ? There are reviews & comments on Amazon US & UK sites, as well as my own site. www.geoffwoodland.com
In 1804 Liverpool was the largest slave trading port in Great Britain, yet her influential traders felt threatened by the success, in Parliament, of the ant-slavery movement. Few, in Liverpool, condemned the 'Trade'.
William King, son of a Liverpool slave trader, sickened by what he experienced aboard a Spanish slaver, was one of the few who did speak out against the Trade.
This story, during the dying days of this despicable practice, has generational change, moral wickedness, greed, romance and the fortunes of war woven through the lives of father and son caught up in the turmoil that preceded the implementation of the British Trade Act of 1807, which would end Britain's involvement in the slave trade. To Liverpool slave traders, if this Act gained Royal Assent, it could mean their ruin.
Ice King is available in paperback and as an e-book.
cheers
Geoff
www.geoffwoodland.com

In reply to an earlier post on 21 Sep 2011 09:00:33 BDT
Jonboy says:
Hi Geoff

Yes, i'd be interested in looking at your book. Please could you email me a copy? My address is marketing@pen-and-sword.co.uk.

Best wishes

Jon

In reply to an earlier post on 21 Sep 2011 13:28:00 BDT
David Rose says:
My name is David Rose, author of 'Borrowed Time', a time travel fiction available on ebooks. It has only just gone live so no sales as yet. It starts in 1995 in an England under German command, but travels back to Germany / Poland in 1945, where an English scientist and a group of Polish resistance fighters have the chance to change history. The book revolves around the paradoxical consequences their actions have on the world, and in particular the main character of the book, Tony Smith.

In reply to an earlier post on 21 Sep 2011 16:46:23 BDT
Dear Jon, Thank you for your reply, whilst I am disapointed, I am happy for all of those you are interested in, this kind of thing doesn't happen often for authors. I hope you find what you are looking for and wish you and the sucessful authors every good luck in the future.

If ever you are interested in the 'Catherine Cookson' type of writing about history, please contact me. Best wishes, Mary

In reply to an earlier post on 21 Sep 2011 18:26:51 BDT
Jonathan:

As per your request, I have 'gifted' copies of The Blackgloom Bounty and The Regents of Rhum to you via Amazon USA. Those should be in your email shortly. Thank you again for your kind response. I look forward to your assessment.

Jon Baxley

In reply to an earlier post on 21 Sep 2011 19:57:44 BDT
castradeva says:
I have just uploaded two titles for a print on demand book using Amazon Create. City on the legions book one is uploaded alas Amazon.co.uk is showing the title as unavailable. I am not best pleased.
It is listed on Amazon.com.
These stories are a family saga set in the first century Ad. I use the Roman camp of Chester as the lynchpin. It is designed as an adult holiday read. I hope to get both stocked in bookshops around Cheshire but believe it deserves wider distribution in the UK and I do not have those resources on my own.
These title will be placed on kindle within a few weeks. I am expecting copies from the US. I could send you a copy of Book one for consideration. City of the legions book 2 completes the first century saga.
City of the legions, the new conquerors set from 1050-around 1100 is planned for March. I also intend to upload a 3rd novel set in world war 2 by november. I could send a brief presentation of both via E mail.
You may assume I have tested 10,000 words of these novels on the net and the comments on the whole have been favourable. You may assume I have cleared the hoops, my work is marketable.

In reply to an earlier post on 22 Sep 2011 09:26:38 BDT
Jonboy says:
Thanks for these Jon.

I've sent them to my Kindle and look forward to having a read through. I'll get back to you with my thoughts.

Best wishes

Jon

In reply to an earlier post on 22 Sep 2011 12:49:48 BDT
Jonboy says:
Thanks for this David.

Whilst this sounds like an interesting idea, I'm not sure this will work for us. We're looking for more serious historical fiction and worry that the time travel element will not appeal to the audience we're looking for. Thank you for contacting me and I wish you all the best with your book.

Best wishes

Jon

In reply to an earlier post on 22 Sep 2011 12:51:16 BDT
Jonboy says:
Thanks Mary.

I wish you all the best with your books.

Best wishes

Jon

In reply to an earlier post on 22 Sep 2011 12:53:13 BDT
Jonboy says:
Thanks for this.

Yes, I'd be interested in looking at both your works. Please could you forward copies to marketing@pen-and-sword.co.uk and we'll review and get back to you.

Best wishes

Jon

Posted on 22 Sep 2011 15:35:24 BDT
Are you interested in books that are already published - my novel But a Walking Shadow is on Amazon - Jacquee Storozynski-Toll

It is a darkm novel set in the Victorian period
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  67
Total posts:  117
Initial post:  15 Sep 2011
Latest post:  13 May 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 21 customers

Search Customer Discussions