In reply to an earlier post on 6 Apr 2013 20:16:16 BDT
chubbagrubb says:
Augustus Son of Rome and the Swords of Rome series by Richard Foreman

In reply to an earlier post on 6 Apr 2013 20:15:37 BDT
[Deleted by the author on 7 Apr 2013 10:51:48 BDT]

Posted on 31 Mar 2013 00:02:58 GMT
[Deleted by the author on 31 Mar 2013 15:47:51 BDT]

In reply to an earlier post on 13 Feb 2013 22:29:20 GMT
Yeah, read all the Duggan books. He's ancient but his books are a good read.
@ Michael - there are plenty out there set at different times of the Roman era. Most people writing these books seem to think we need to know more about, Marcus Antonius or Gaius Julius. Me, I favour the later Roman Empire which is maybe why I like Sidebottom. My next project will be a novel on Stilicho, the greatest military commander they ever had.
Happy reading! :-)

In reply to an earlier post on 13 Feb 2013 14:03:19 GMT
Hi there, I have done as you say on Amazon and I've also got a huge list of Roman books on the Goodreads website. As I mentioned before I enjoyed the Turney books Marius' Mules and would recommend them. The one thing that crosses my mind is that so many authors seem to concentrate on a certain timespan around the Julio-Claudian dynasties and it's interesting to find books that give an insight into other periods of the Roman empire.

In reply to an earlier post on 13 Feb 2013 12:44:10 GMT
I share F Nath's enthusiasm for Wallace Breem and Harry Sidebottom's novels and so will follow up his recommendation of John Maddox Roberts. Thank you for the tip! Turney is not known to me. However I suggest Alfred Duggan's The Conscience of the King [post Roman Britain] and the Little Emperors might give pleasure.

In reply to an earlier post on 13 Feb 2013 09:59:12 GMT
Ever tried typing in Roman Novel as a search on Amazon?
You get books which begin with the name'Roman', you get all kinds of other stuff too.

In reply to an earlier post on 13 Feb 2013 09:56:13 GMT
Last edited by the author on 13 Feb 2013 09:57:02 GMT
Try the SPQR series of books by John Maddox Roberts. Very atmospheric and nice characterisation. Short pacey books where you identify easily with the MC.
Alan Massie is very good although 'Eagle in the Snow' by Wallace Breeme remains one of my favourites.
I've enjoyed Harry Sidebottom's series about Balista very much as well, although it won't be everyone's cup of garum as he quotes Euripides every other paragraph. There is a lot of Roman fiction out there and about a third of it is very good - a third mediocre - a third crap!
Iggulden and Scarrow still seem the most popular though. I must admit I find Iggulden's plotting in the Roman series a bit strange and once you've read Cato and Macro twelve episodes they get a bit jaded (in my humble opinion).
GordonDoherty is also an excellent read.
Maybe I should try Turney next - what do you think?

Posted on 12 Feb 2013 17:12:36 GMT
Last edited by the author on 12 Feb 2013 17:22:44 GMT
As no one has posted on here for a while I thought I'd update on what I've read since my last post. Most recently I've gone through my Christmas presents (!) Marius' Mules by SJA Tierney included his latest 4th book Conspiracy of Eagles and thoroughly enjoyed them. I'm also an addict of both Robert Fabbri's Vespasian series and Douglas Jackson's Verrens books and caught up with their latest ones False God of Rome and Avenger of Rome respectively. Another favourite author is Gordon Doherty and after enjoying his Legionary book his second in the series Viper of the North was a must. I have also to say that while not strictly Roman Doherty's Strategos - Born in the Borderlands was superb and I look forward to his second book in this series.
Prior to Christmas I was slowly ticking off the Simon Scarrow Macro/Cato books (4 to go!) and although a 'long' read I enjoyed George Shipway's Imperial Governor. I also have read Anthony Riches series including his latest The Wolf's Gold although for me his earlier ones in this series were better.
Another series I'm hooked on is Harry Sidebottom's Warrior of Rome and I also enjoyed James Mace's Soldier of Rome series and Conn Iggulden's Emperor series plus Ben Kane's Hannibal.
Other books I've read include Gods & legions by Michael Curtis Ford, Mons Graupius AD 83 by Ducan Campbell, Serpent and the Slave by Scott Hunter plus two excellent books, Dark North by Gillian Hunter and Alfred Duggan's Conscience of the King which once I'd got used to the first person narrative was a brilliant read.
My one failure in all this was Alice Hoffman's The Dovekeepers. I could only get a third of the way through what to me a very slow and 'wordy' book before putting it down. Just not to my taste I'm afraid. I've just taken a short break from the legions reading Conn Iggulden's excellent Genghis Khan series (apologies I know it's not Roman) and but I'm now back on track and about to launch into Wallace Breem's The Legate's Daughter. Plenty more to go...

Posted on 19 Nov 2012 19:43:37 GMT
Last edited by the author on 19 Nov 2012 19:44:51 GMT
Ben Kane says:
No, it says ROMAN fiction, and if you'd bothered to read the thread, you'd see that that is what the posts here are about!!

(Roman as in the people who dominated Europe from about 241 BC to the late 470s AD.)

In reply to an earlier post on 19 Nov 2012 19:40:16 GMT
[Deleted by the author on 20 Nov 2012 08:28:48 GMT]

Posted on 19 Nov 2012 19:19:33 GMT
Ben Kane says:
@Johanna M. Van Merwe: What is it about the title of this thread that makes you think people want to read a book about the Boer War? I would have thought that the word 'Roman' would inform you that contributors are more interested in events about 2000 years before that conflict.

I would politely ask you, therefore, to remove your post at once. Thank you.

In reply to an earlier post on 19 Nov 2012 18:57:23 GMT
[Deleted by the author on 20 Nov 2012 08:28:14 GMT]

In reply to an earlier post on 17 Nov 2012 15:21:10 GMT
That is very true.

Posted on 17 Nov 2012 11:33:17 GMT
robius says:
Its what makes historical fiction so envigorating, how one small snipet of information can be interpreted and brought alive in so many ways.

In reply to an earlier post on 17 Nov 2012 10:12:25 GMT
But which 'facts' is he claiming it's 80% based upon? It could just be 80% based on the one fact that we know for sure: that the 9th Legion ceased to exist ...

It's actually a fairly meaningless statement ... although, naturally, we all interpret it in a particular way ... :-)

Posted on 17 Nov 2012 05:40:38 GMT
I. Buchan says:
Ben is absolutely correct- I would humbly suggest that even a Chronicle of any era would have been optimistic in regards to an 80% factual claim. Interpretation of the facts of the actual events would be a more accurate claim,- an 80% accuracy of same is much too ambitious in my personal opinion.

Posted on 16 Nov 2012 18:06:01 GMT
Last edited by the author on 16 Nov 2012 20:15:21 GMT
robius says:
Its quite an interesting point that from the reader and author angle how much detail is too much. Im a fan of Simon Scarrow because although his description of location and indeed the era, are vivid, i like how the setting takes second place to his characters and the story. There are a number of authors who seem intent on filling the book with fact to the point its like being back at school and all you gain is knowledge. Which is fine, but you cant beat a good meaty story with depth.

In reply to an earlier post on 16 Nov 2012 18:03:38 GMT
robius says:
Nope that was my error i apologise, it was John Jakes novels that you were not keen on. I agreed with you on the 80%, its unlikely many books out there can claim that.

In reply to an earlier post on 16 Nov 2012 17:16:01 GMT
Ben Kane says:
@steve: I'd just like to point out that I didn't say I wasn't a fan. I haven't read the book; I also wish Mr Young the very best with his novel. My problem is with the claim that the book is 80% based on fact.

In reply to an earlier post on 16 Nov 2012 16:58:30 GMT
robius says:
The simple fact is that there is no concrete evidence to what happened to the ninth, as with most details on ancient Rome, it is mostly educated guess work. as for an author suggesting that is 80 percent factual that is a little ard to believe. Ive written a novel myself but i wouldnt dream of suggesting that it is factual, on the contrary i ensure the reader is told that it is my interpretation. I would say that if Brian is the author, then well done its not easy to write a novel and if Ben isnt a fan then thats ok, because you can never please everyone. I would probably just say as Ben is very knowleageable in the field maybe take on board what he says and with the next novel do even better.

Posted on 16 Nov 2012 02:12:40 GMT
k says:
Mea Culpa by KM Reed

In reply to an earlier post on 14 Nov 2012 15:32:38 GMT
Last edited by the author on 14 Nov 2012 15:35:47 GMT
Ben Kane says:
Would you happen to be the author of The Eagle Has Fallen, Brian? Otherwise, it's a strange coincidence that your name is the same as the author of this book. It's against Amazon rules to self-promote on these threads, so if it is you, please remove your comment. It's spam.

I've had a look at this book, which claims to be based on 80% fact. Given that next to nothing is known about what happened to the Ninth, this is a startling claim. Moreover, the vast majority of academics are nowadays agreed that the Ninth was NOT annihilated in Scotland in the late 110s/early 120s AD, but 20-40 years later, in either Eastern Europe or Judaea. So unless the author has discovered an Ark of the Covenant like set of documents or an archaeological site that refutes this, I suspect the claim that this book is based on facts to be rather exaggerated, to say the least.

Read a couple of John Jakes' "Roman" novels recently - they were not good at all. Really poorly researched, full of historical bloopers, poor plotlines, nasty characters.

I must get another Gillian Bradshaw novel. I read Dark North about 2 months ago. It was excellent.

Posted on 7 Nov 2012 20:16:00 GMT
Brian , says:
Try The Eagle Has Fallen: one of the greatest mysteries of the Roman Empire is the disappearance of the Ninth Legion. The contemporary sources are silent about what actually happened .So Why did Hadrian build the wall? And what happened in Britain that made the historians comment " the Britons cannot be kept under Roman Control"?
Based on facts , it's an amazing book !

Posted on 1 Oct 2012 15:58:00 BDT
[Deleted by the author on 1 Oct 2012 16:02:53 BDT]
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  85
Total posts:  156
Initial post:  26 Mar 2010
Latest post:  6 Apr 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 14 customers

Search Customer Discussions