Customer Discussions > high definition discussion forum

Blu-ray triple play editions.

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 126-150 of 158 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on 3 May 2012 13:20:24 BDT
Last edited by the author on 3 May 2012 13:27:23 BDT
Uncle DJ says:
At the moment the only version of Underworld Awakening you can pre-order is the 3D version which also includes the 2D for 15-16, give or take and depending where you look. I'd say if they sold both versions we could get 2D alone for 11-13 if you did some searching. Money grabbers much?

Edit*

Just seen Awakening on Amazon for 13, so 9-10 if didn't include 3D? I don't want an annoying 3D logo on my case lol

In reply to an earlier post on 3 May 2012 17:32:05 BDT
Lol, That was the first 3d we got! Didnt know they hadnt done a 2d version.

Posted on 3 May 2012 20:08:50 BDT
Bourne1886 says:
I can't believe people are still banging on about this! Triples are BVFM. I look at the extra dvd and digi copy as free and they don't take up anymore room than a single disk.The digi copies to buy online cost about ten quid alone. I like to have movies on my PD, just in case i go away. Its handy. Saves you carrying a load of BR's with you! Triple plays are cheap and better value. If I get a free digi copy I can expand my digi collection for nowt. It's a great added bonus and I put them to good use while I can, before studios pull the plug on them. Having a film on different formats is versatile. Why are you complaining? A 3D logo on a cover annoying? Oh dear poor you, why don't you go and have a lie down before you cry!

Posted on 4 May 2012 13:32:53 BDT
Jimbob says:
The triple play Blu-Rays are fine given the formats available, but ideally I'd like to dispense with the discs altogether and be able to buy an HD digital download, with a SD version for playback on portable devices. I just wish the film companies would catch up with technology people already have at home.

In reply to an earlier post on 4 May 2012 15:19:24 BDT
D. Pugh says:
Make an iTunes account, and you can to that. Been able to for years.

But who'd want to? Epherma rather than owning it, and having the ability to give away if you want, or leaving as part of inheritance.

In reply to an earlier post on 8 May 2012 12:27:00 BDT
peter66 says:
hugo is on DVD or bluray as well

In reply to an earlier post on 8 May 2012 12:28:46 BDT
peter66 says:
that is brilliant

In reply to an earlier post on 12 May 2012 23:34:30 BDT
Roger Comer says:
I don't wish them to stop selling these triple play packs, as there are a number of people who would prefer these (including yourself obviously!)
BUT...I don't want to pay for something I don't want....I want to buy JUST the 3D blu-ray copy. I don't need a 2nd 2D copy on blu-ray, nor do i need the dvd copy and I don't want to pay extra for having discs that I will not use. The 3D blu-rays will play in standard 2D anyway of your tv is not compatible!!!!!

Posted on 26 May 2012 15:30:35 BDT
Leaving aside the arguments for and against here, does anyone actually know why the triple plays exist? I can't understand why the various companies would give away DVDs and digital copies with Blu-ray discs. It can't be to make their customers happy - companies simply don't do that and their customers would be happy to buy the solo disc anyway. They were always happy to buy a solo DVD before Blu-ray appeared. It also can't be to allow people without Blu-ray players to watch the film on DVD. The companies know these people would buy the DVD first and then buy it again later when they got around to buying a player. The digital download is baffling too - without the freebie, people would pay to download it. As far as I can see, they can only lose money by issuing discs in this format, but I must be wrong otherwise they wouldn't do it.

In reply to an earlier post on 26 May 2012 17:31:40 BDT
J.Yasimoto says:
"Leaving aside the arguments for and against here, does anyone actually know why the triple plays exist?"

I would imagine it's main purpose is to persuade DVD users to upgrade to BluRay (which has a higher profit margin).

Posted on 26 May 2012 21:24:38 BDT
Last edited by the author on 26 May 2012 21:26:23 BDT
Bourne1886 says:
I'm not complaining. If they want to lose money fine by me. If I get three things for the price of one and it doesn't take up anymore room, so be it. I use the digital copy, so I would rather they kept that side of things going, rather than having to pay a tenner for it! Like I say I'm not complaining! Be grateful before they take it away.

Posted on 27 May 2012 06:51:41 BDT
J.Yasimoto says:
"If they want to lose money fine by me."

I don't think they are losing money. If someone wants to buy a particular film, they will purchase either the DVD or BluRay. They won't buy both separately. So triple plays aren't impacting the number of units sold of a particular film. And it costs literally pennies to include the DVD with the BluRay.

Posted on 31 May 2012 13:13:40 BDT
I have a blu- ray player that also takes dvds so i basically have a choice but i do prefer to buy triple plays purely because ( someone please feel free to tell me what you think of my idea) dvds are (to me) like the old CD, some of us are using hard drives now which in my eyes are the ipod/ MP3 of the movie world, saves space and time (if you have a massive DVD/BLU-RAY collection) basically what im trying to say is, are we not wasting our money buying these blu-rays when soon enough blu-rays will just be a waste of time like the mini disc?

Posted on 31 May 2012 21:16:05 BDT
Martin Allen says:
I don't buy Blu-Ray discs now unless they have 3D, Blu Ray, DVD and digital copy included. (They keep there price better too). - Although it is annoying to have an expiry date on the digital copy, meaning if you buy any back titles chances are the digital copy has already expired.
What does annoy me is when the choice is not there, 'John Carter' is only available in the UK individually on all formats, whereas in the U.S. they have a 4 disc combo at a fraction of the price, but region locked.
With regard newer technology, movie companies could put their new movies on USB sticks, no moving parts means no damage, but people would just copy them.

In reply to an earlier post on 5 Jun 2012 16:17:43 BDT
Bourne1886 says:
Really,you have a BLU ray player that plays DVD!

Amazing!

In reply to an earlier post on 16 Jun 2012 12:38:43 BDT
Mr. I. Coyne says:
Totaly Agre this and x2 above have said same in diffent way.

Me and Bro have PS3

parents still got DVD same as most of freinds

so it means every one can whatch .

In reply to an earlier post on 16 Jun 2012 12:39:52 BDT
Mr. I. Coyne says:
Thats not a bad idea think you wouldnt have to shop around and you could enjoy the story in the mediam that suits you the consumer.

In reply to an earlier post on 16 Jun 2012 12:40:20 BDT
Mr. I. Coyne says:
Other way around but same thing

In reply to an earlier post on 11 Jul 2012 21:38:46 BDT
Steven Gibb says:
I have never seen anyone watch a digital copy. All these people talking about their shiny ipads and portable devices. I have never ever seen anyone use these things to watch movies. Triple play is a waste of time. If some 'friends' want to watch the film then they download it if they dont want to buy it. I can't remember the last time I loaned DVDs to someone. I loan BDs though. When they release these triple play things I always have that code unused with the DVD securely sealed in its place because I bought it for the blu ray disc. Now its worse with the novelty 3D. You get 3D, blu ray, dvd and digital copy. What a complete waste.

Posted on 13 Jul 2012 01:14:11 BDT
Will2325 says:
i think its great for if ur planning to get a blu-ray player, but until then you can enjoy the dvd, without having to buy it again on blu-ray (but really they should of done this when blu-rays first came out because now alot of people can play them in some way, shape or form), or if u wanna watch it in another room without a Blu-ray player

In reply to an earlier post on 14 Jul 2012 23:38:24 BDT
Last edited by the author on 14 Jul 2012 23:41:18 BDT
Bourne1886 says:
I have a shiny new iPad that I watch my digi copies on when I'm travelling,Sorry to burst your bubble. Do you carry a load of BD's with you when you travel?

I have friends and relatives who don't have BD players yet so I lend my DVD copy out. Triple plays are invariably cheaper than single plays? Example IN TIME triple play on BD 10 in Sainsbury. DVD 12. There are still loads of people I know who still have DVD,so if they buy Triple plays it future proofs them.

By the way what do you mean that your friends don't buy films they just download them!? Do you mean they don't buy the disc, but pay for a download? Just as expensive really. Why don't you give them your free code so they can watch it for nowt! Just a thought! That would make you a popular friend! That means its not a waste of time. People who complain about these trivial matters need to get a life! You are getting the extra copies for pennies. Single editions are no cheaper!

In reply to an earlier post on 15 Oct 2012 06:17:46 BDT
Last edited by the author on 15 Oct 2012 06:29:56 BDT
My parents, Grandparents, my uncles, and some of my friends only have a DVD player and I am the only one in my household to have upgraded to High Definition. In the past, I bought the Blu-ray Disc, so when my parents etc. want to view the films, they couldn't cos' they had the DVD player. So now that I've bought the Triple or Double Play packs, they can now view the film in many formats they like. As you all know parents, Grandparents, Uncles and some friends take a lot of persuading into upgrading to High definition, but when they do decide to do it, they'll be ready. If you're really that bothered that you'll be wasting money on Triple or Double Play packs, then avoid buying rubbish movies and get someone else to buy it for you. That way you won't feel guilty afterwards. Having these packs isn't meant to create hassle, but to create a more convenient way to watch films without having to say to someone "Sorry it's incompatible with your machine" like some outdated device and it saves you money in having to buy another seperate disc in future.

In reply to an earlier post on 15 Oct 2012 09:23:53 BDT
Hate it when they dont do this, for example when I bought avenegers, My sn cannot watch it in his room and I cannot loan it to my parents as they dont ahve Blu Ray. plus for about 2-3 extra you get a DVD copy.

Whats the problem

Posted on 15 Oct 2012 18:09:21 BDT
Mac Eachaidh says:
If I can, I ony buy versions that have solely Blu-ray discs. I have no use for digital copies, no interest in them, or for am additional copy on DVD. I would never try to stop other people from having access to them, but I personally don't want discs I'm never going to use. I do lobby the distrbutors to release BD-only packs at a lower price than the triple/whatever-play. I think that's fair.

In reply to an earlier post on 15 Oct 2012 18:31:52 BDT
Martin Allen says:
Oh it's you is it!!
Triple packs are a necessity to others. Checkout the new release for 'Brave' every format is separate, while in the lucky USA they get a 5 Disc collectors edition with 3D, Blu-Ray,DVD and digital copy for the same price as our 3D version. It's happening all the time now. 3D BD prices have now increased to 23 used to be 17.99 for the triple pack.
If everyone keeps saying they are a 'waste of time' or saying they 'sell their DVD on ebay' without the case all you are doing is spoiling it for other people. They know British people are a walkover don't encourage them.
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the high definition discussion forum

More Customer Discussions

Most active community forums
Most active product forums

Amazon forums

This discussion

Participants:  82
Total posts:  158
Initial post:  8 Dec 2009
Latest post:  5 Feb 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 14 customers

Search Customer Discussions