Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop All Amazon Fashion Summer Savings Up to 25% Off Cloud Drive Photos Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop Fire Shop Kindle Oasis Learn more Learn more
Customer Discussions > high definition discussion forum

HMV Blu-ray Rip-offs

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 51-75 of 1000 posts in this discussion
Posted on 28 Dec 2009 13:08:32 GMT
gabriel71 says:
They all become victims of there own greed in the end. 1st Tower Records, then Virgin, then Zavvi. Hmv think they are safe because they have no competition "on the high street only that is" but in the end the word will spread and people will no longer be happy with paying there inflated rip-off prices and will start to boycott them and shop elsewhere, then HMV will go the way of the dinosaur...Extinct!

Posted on 28 Dec 2009 13:26:01 GMT
Fuzzypiglet says:
blockbuster are another rip off, they want more for used discs than you pay online for new ones.

In reply to an earlier post on 28 Dec 2009 14:09:40 GMT
Mr. Jp Rees says:
I agree I went in to buy Band of Brothers Blu-ray box set as it was the same price as Amazon at the time ( £16.99 ) on line as I had vouchers for Xmas. In Hmv it was priced at £25.00 I asked a salesperson why this was? He said "Dun-no" and walked off!!!!!!!!!. Last time I'll be using Hmv. I have spent hundreds at Amazon and not once have I had a problem. Keep up the good work Amazon :-)

In reply to an earlier post on 28 Dec 2009 14:58:27 GMT
The Marketing Nobs arent stupid they just hope old Joe Public is thick enough to fall for marketing ploys like this and unfortunately there are boobs out there daft enough to fall for it otherwise they wouldnt keep trying this ploy

Posted on 29 Dec 2009 00:21:07 GMT
R. Potter says:
I went into HMV today in Ireland because I have vouchers I was given for christmas, I bought 'the hurt locker', 'FD 4 3d' and District 9. The former 2 cost 23 euro each which is about 19 pounds (expensive in my view) and district 9 was 28 euro (23 quid) which is frankly disgusting, its 15 quid here online and if not for the vouchers i would have ordered from here.
I ordered planet earth BD here today for 25 quid, in hmv instore its 49.99 euro, roughly 40 quid. disgrace!
I find amazon a lot cheaper and better behaved than other online retailers, inc p**y with free P & P.

Posted on 29 Dec 2009 12:00:35 GMT
M. Muldowney says:
Be grateful you do not live in Dublin - where HMV here charge between 20% - 40% more for everything compared to the UK price. Since Amazon extended free delivery to Ireland, I have'nt bought my Blu-Ray's or DVD anywhere else.

In reply to an earlier post on 29 Dec 2009 13:06:19 GMT
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

Posted on 29 Dec 2009 17:34:00 GMT
stephen says:
I noticed them selling Band Of Brothers for £59.99 today which made me laugh. I saw it on offer on Play for £15 the other week.

Posted on 29 Dec 2009 19:27:18 GMT
gabriel71 says:
I stopped using HMV a couple of years ago I'm happy to say, and I will never use them again....HMV if you are listening, hurry up and go out of business will you!

Posted on 29 Dec 2009 20:58:02 GMT
Narue.S says:
Im not sure that its fair to single out HMV as it seems that all high street retailers are looking to make a quick buck on blu-ray discs. Now I think(which I do now) I realise that I have purchased all my dozen or so discs online.
I may be contradicting myself slightly but when my ten year old son asks to go in HMV I tell him we arent rich enough. For rich read stupid.

Posted on 29 Dec 2009 21:02:52 GMT
I agree - HMV is a rip off, they had Leon on a 2 for £25 offer - I bought it for £7.49 on Amazon with free P

Posted on 30 Dec 2009 11:48:40 GMT
G. Greig says:
To Narue.S its not just blueray but ordinary dvds some of the old films are ludicrously priced compared to amazon etc.and i think companies like this should be singled out.

Posted on 30 Dec 2009 17:17:59 GMT
Last edited by the author on 30 Dec 2009 17:47:05 GMT
Reduman says:
Hey guys, maybe someone else has already pointed this out, but HMV stores are almost always going to be more expensive than online ones simply because they have higher overheads. It is a matter of basic economics and not some kind of conspiracy. After all, there is a reason why Virgin Megastores, Zaavi, Woolworths, Borders (UK) are no longer in business in Britain and that has (at least partially) to do with customer's changing purchasing patterns. The percentage of online purchases is steadily increasing.
I do not live in the UK, but visit often and always check out the great selection of DVD/Blu-rays at HMV's Oxford Street (London) stores. I have been to NYC on many occasions and with Virgin's, Tower Record's and Circuit City's recent demise in the States, there is no longer any large store in New York now dedicated to CD/DVD/Blu-ray physical media sales. That is something that London fortunately still has, though for how much longer is anyone's guess. Nevertheless, I admittedly contribute to this trend by purchasing most of my DVD/Blu-rays online (from amazon.co.uk), simply because like most people here the price difference in comparison to Germany, where I live, even factoring in the higher VAT rate of 19% here and p & p, I still save ca. 5 pounds sterling for each item I purchase.
I detect an unfortunate trend which will see the sale of physical media declining, whilst downloading will be pushed by the big companies. That way the physical costs of manufacturing and distributing music can be avoided altogether. It may make media even cheaper in the short run, but I buy stuff for its very physicality too (packaging, extras and memorabilia) whether it is a book or a movie. I guess it boils down to the question as to whether we are willing to pay extra for physical media in physical stores, or whether the lowest cost is to be our ONLY criteria for purchase? If the latter is what we favour in each case, then it is probably only a matter of time before physical stores like HMV die out. Though many here in the forum seem to think that this might not be such a bad idea, I, for my part, would hate to see that happen.

Posted on 30 Dec 2009 18:31:45 GMT
I have not and neever will buy a blu ray disc from HMV - always a good selection in stock - but always expensive - I buy 99% of my discs from Amazon. Have picked up a few bargains (used but always in very good condition) from Blockbusters - current promotion of 3 for £25 (less an additional 20%) enabled me to get Valkyrie, The International and Body of Lies for a little over £6.00 each. Valkyrie is listed on HMV at £17.99.

Posted on 30 Dec 2009 19:20:44 GMT
R. Potter says:
Reduman, great point and I understand what you are saying but unfortunately us Brits don't carry enough emotion to worry about the decline in 'physical stores', even though I believe HMV to be a fantastic concept and a benchmark setter in their field. Yes they are expensive and as you rightly pointed out it's a direct result of overheads and until can offer a remedy or solution to this then it will continue to die off slowly but surely (perhaps an argos style scenario, massivley cutting the wage budget).
I was in again today (more vouchers to spend) and picked up my bloody valentine for 16 quid which is annoying as its only a tenner here but in HMV's defense, the staff were extremley courteous and could not have been more helpful. The manager even matched a price on District 9 blu ray because another shop was selling it for a few quid less. Can't ask for more than that.

Posted on 30 Dec 2009 22:54:36 GMT
M. Deakin says:
I put my hands up in shame and say that i bought District 9 in HMV. To be fair it was in the shop on the 27th Dec (Amazon said its out on the 28th) and it was the steel case edition (Amazon dont stock it) for £17. Not to bad i guess.

Posted on 30 Dec 2009 23:27:06 GMT
Last edited by the author on 30 Dec 2009 23:29:51 GMT
Reduman says:
To R. Potter. It is great to hear that HMV is getting something right (in your case good customer service). Even Mr. Deakin has made a back-handed compliment to them in his comment. I have little personal gain by HMV's long-term survival or not in a wider sense, but it might be a case of missing it should it no longer have high street stores. I sincerely hope that HMV as well as amazon.co.uk (and it affiliates) BOTH continue to do what they do best and offer all sections of the public (remember not ALL wish to buy online) a great shopping experience. There should be room for a number of retailers on- and offline in this competetive market.

In reply to an earlier post on 30 Dec 2009 23:47:24 GMT
Last edited by the author on 30 Dec 2009 23:56:04 GMT
Reduman says:
(Reply to Mr. Muldowney) Btw, I was in HMV's store in Grafton Street in Dublin just before Christmas. I have to agree that compared to amazon.co.uk's online prices the store prices or Blu-rays are very high (quite a few DVDs were reasonably priced). A number of the blu-ray titles on offer were somewhat comparable in price to the Oxford Street (London) ones, but again one has to bear in mind that the VAT rate in Ireland is, I believe 21%, compared to the UK's current 15% (soon to be 17.5% again). That's a heck of a difference and it must make it difficult for HMV to offer competetive pricing to their Republic of Ireland customers. The fact that amazon.co.uk now offers the same price in Sterling to their Irish customers as they do to their UK ones, given the Euro's relative strength in respect of the UK Pound, this must surely result in a relative drop in prices in Ireland over time. When Ireland's economy was booming (a fading memory now, unfortunately) disposable income for a number of people in Ireland was higher than in the UK, and prices are, as we know from experience, often dictated by what the market is prepared to pay. I was shocked on visiting Ireland a year to 18 months ago when blu-rays were regularly selling back then in Dublin's HMV (branch in Grafton Street) for 30-35 €. The current recession and the competition from other online retailers has already forced a price drop, though relative to the UK, IMHO prices are still (too) high.

In reply to an earlier post on 31 Dec 2009 00:50:44 GMT
I agree with you but as someone who worked there for 3 years believe me when I tell you that its works! People happily spend double the money on one Blu ray/DVD thinking they are getting the second one free. Its basically a case of the marketing nobs taking advantage of the idiotic general public. You could literally sell dog crap in a box to people with the right marketing

In reply to an earlier post on 31 Dec 2009 11:49:18 GMT
C. Ross says:
Their blu's are so overpriced its not even funny, I seen the separate Kill Bill movies in the store for £35 each!!! I mean COME ON!!! They had the boxset for £45, scandalous!

Posted on 31 Dec 2009 12:01:07 GMT
G. Greig says:
I cannot see why this defence of hmv in general terms their prices are OTT the problem with these companies they are not happy with small profit margins greed is the problem in this country its commone sense if you sell something cheap enough people will buy more thats why pound shops are always busy so come on hmv lower your profit margins and let people who dont buy online have a chance.

Posted on 31 Dec 2009 13:28:15 GMT
My wife bought me David Attenborough's Life Collection (DVD) for Xmas from HMV. Went online afterwards to see if a Blu Ray version was avavilable and found that HMV had ripped her of by charging £40 more than Amazon or even the BBC online shop. Attempted to obtain a refund but was refused as no refunds are given unless the product is faulty, even though we had not broken the securty seals. I understand that a high street store has overheads that the online stores don't but to charge almost double for a product is definitely a rip off. Incidently the HMV online store charges £10 more for the same item so they are not at all comptitively priced.

Posted on 31 Dec 2009 14:06:03 GMT
Reduman says:
Clearly, there are a lot of people about who are genuinely unhappy with HMV's general pricing policy and after reading the newest comments, they do this with very good reason! As I stated, I do not live in the UK currently, so my experience is more of a "snapshot" of what I experience when I am in the UK/Ireland. I am more than happy to defer to other (negative) experiences, as I have no interest in "defending" HMV in any way. My main point is that I would not like to see physical media such as CDs, DVDs and Blu-rays only sold by one mega retailer, with little to no competition. Monopoly markets do not tend to be consumer-friendly ones.

Posted on 31 Dec 2009 14:29:50 GMT
Noel Hilton says:
It never fails to amaze me at Christmas when I walk past HMV and the place is heaving with queues trailing to the back of the store. Their in-store prices are always higher than their online prices, sometimes ludicrously so, which is an insult to those regulars who actually visit their store. Normally the best blu-ray offer they come up with is 2 for £25 when you can often buy the same titles on internet sites, including their own, for around £6.99. Again, their SD DVD offer of 4 for £20 on the face of it seems great - until you do a price comparison on those individual titles on the net. And the same goes for their CDs. Asda often do a 2 for £20 offer on blu-rays so keep an eye on that. But Amazon are consistently better with their prices (and their delivery is 2nd to none in my experience, even when you select the Free Delivery option) and there are so many other sites that offer blu-rays at 2 for £14/£15/£18. A good place to start is a price comparison site called www.find-dvd.co.uk (where, incidentally, Amazon is often top of the search) and that will bring up a multitude of options, not just for DVDs but CDs and games. HMV and the like do occasionally come up with some bargains but without doubt most of the time they're a rip off, and always have been. They exploit those customers who are either wary of or unable to use the internet. The sooner more people realise this and shop elsewhere the sooner they'll reduce their in-store prices!

Posted on 31 Dec 2009 15:15:12 GMT
Last edited by the author on 31 Dec 2009 15:16:16 GMT
R. Potter says:
I'm certainly not defending HMV, I too agree strongly agree that their prices are extortionate but we have to take all of this into context. Of course Amazon, play, sendit etc are going to be leaps and bounds cheaper than HMV, those of you who don't think overheads is a viable excuse will be surprised to hear that HMV in Cardiff pay 1/2 million pounds per annum for rent alone (i'm a quantity surveyor). Yes the mark up is gross, the profit margins are much slimmer than one might think when ALL overheads are taken into account.

The reason Asda et al can offer such cheap prices is because they can afford to make 1 or 2 pounds profit on a blu ray because they know they will make additional profit on miscellaneous items such as bread, milk etc.

HMV also cater massively for the market of convenience, people don't like to wait for things. One glaringly obvious advantage of shopping at HMV as opposed to online is the convenience of buying something and needing to return it or exchange it the following day for some reason or another. They also offer one the facilities to test certain products:games, ipod docks etc. Surely that's not a bad thing.

Again I'm not defending them, I'm merely pointing out the facts in black and white, also in my opinion, should we not be applauding them for surviving the recession (so far) and keeping our children/neighbours/friends etc in employment?

Once again, I have no affiliation to HMV and therefore I'm no fussed whether they go under or not and my allegiances lie firmly with Amazon but with every positive comes a negative and we all know by now that it's impossible to please everyone at once.
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the high definition discussion forum

This discussion

Participants:  304
Total posts:  1503
Initial post:  7 Oct 2009
Latest post:  31 Mar 2015

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 20 customers

Search Customer Discussions