Customer Discussions > high definition discussion forum

How Good Do You Rate LoveFilm

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 51-75 of 154 posts in this discussion
Posted on 1 Aug 2011 01:15:02 BDT
Lee Lucas says:
Well I only have 2 Blu Rays a month, and I have to agree with you about the finger marks and scratches, and have to clean the discs all the time before playing them. I often get discs that will not play or jump, so I dread to think how many you get with your package. I find the service pretty good as regarding posting them out in good time, but as for the quality it's nowhere near the same as the old rental shops which have disappeared I am afraid.

Posted on 2 Aug 2011 23:19:15 BDT
Why on earth does anybody want to rent DVD or BLU RAY they are cheap enough to buy, There is no way i would put one of their manky dirty discs that look like some small child has just ate their lunch off it into my machine.. loved the mid 80's for renting videos but its not the 80's Now !

Posted on 6 Aug 2011 02:36:04 BDT
Si Mondo says:
Used them years ago and cancelled cause of the Universal despute and went to blockbuster, that was about 3 years ago. Thier turn around of films was certainly a lot better than blockbuster, I also made sure I only had the new releases that I wanted in my queue although I had to wait 2-3 days some times I always had new films quickly.

last year I brought a Toshiba Blu Ray player for £85 with a years free lovefilm subscription (2 discs at a time 4 a month, £7.99 a month package), when I resigned up with this offer I was amazed to find the Universal despute was still going. Because of this I didn't cancel my Blockbuster package just lowered it form 3 discs unlimited to 2 discs at a time 4 a month. Blockbuster have exclusives that are available from them 2 weeks before anywhere else (for example I watch Limitless 2 weels before Lovefilm got it) I have now also noticed that there is a delay on some Sony titles with Lovefilm (an example would be Battle Los Angeles which was available everywhere else 4 weeks before lovefilm got it.)

My years free subscription to lovefilm ends in November and will be cancelled, I will be sticking with Blockbuster.

Posted on 6 Aug 2011 05:18:54 BDT
D. Lench says:
watch anything and everything online for free and if you like it thenn you can buy the dvd or blu-ray 2nd hand when it's going a lot cheaper
and then it's yours to keep at possibly the price of lovefilm

Posted on 7 Dec 2011 19:39:59 GMT
Ive been with love film for quite some time now. I dont rate the service though im just to lazy to cancel it. My main gripe is that despite having about 24 titles on my list with about 6 marked as high priority, I never recieve them. If u want to recieve anything you basically have to add a title thats 2 star and 4 years old. Also there is a growing list of new titles that you cant rent ( fast and furious 5 and bridesmaids to name a few) although I doubt that if I added them to my list I wouldnt recieve them. Today though I have a new problem, i currently pay to recieve 2 titles at a time. I only recieved 1 and this apparently is because its the only 1 they have. Their solution is to add more to my list which is as ive said already huge. Surprise surprise though the dvd I recieved is the original twighlight movie which is as old as time. :-(

Posted on 13 Dec 2011 16:36:05 GMT
Cwazeewabbit says:
I've recently joined and was lucky enough to receive one high priority and one medium during my first week. However, I've since added more than 80 titles, but kept only three high priority and about six medium, but all I've been getting are my lowest priority titles (about seven). I think I might join Blockbuster if they're quicker at sending the titles I really want.

Posted on 20 Jan 2012 10:17:49 GMT
MB says:
Just cancelled my Lovefilm account after 3 month trial. Found new movie lists very limited, and never got any of the game titles on my list during that time even though they were high priority. Also just spent an annoying 10 minutes getting a sales pitch when I called to cancel. And found they had charged me during vacation break (although women then agreed to wave charge). Found Blockbuster service a bit better I'm afraid.

Posted on 27 Feb 2012 16:14:53 GMT
LOVEFILM INSTANT.

Be very careful before signing up to lovefilms' new Instant service, I almost did, and through a bit of luck when speaking to a call handler, found out that the service isnt quite what you might expect.
On the webpage, it shouts about being an unlimited download service, Watch instantly in high quality on your TV, PS3™, Xbox 360®, laptop and iPad®.......and it means just those devices and no other..ie Android or PSP etc.
And not just any internet Tv, buried deep in the webpage it lists these Tvs
Sony TV
Samsung TV
LG TV
Cello TV

It also Lists some odd devices, llike Blueray players and Home cinema systems, .

On top of this, I managed to find out that you are limited to having 3 devices registered with Lovefilm, except laptops, which is unlimited.... This information is NOT listed anywhere on their website or in their terms and conditions. It means that once you have signed up you have to choose 3 devices you want to be able to watch films on and register them on the website.

All this means that maybe the Instant package is not as good an option as it first appears, i have spoken to Lovefilm and asked them to maybe make this information available to customers before they sign up, and maybe they will alter their webpage, but I suspect not.........Netflix next...see if they are more upfront><!!

Posted on 28 Feb 2012 05:30:59 GMT
Sam Todd says:
Their £4.99 streaming package is awful, looks exactly like a vhs video copy and was terminated after 1 day of the month long free trial!!

In reply to an earlier post on 8 Apr 2012 16:45:38 BDT
Damaskcat says:
It will surely depend on the speed of your broadband.

Posted on 8 Apr 2012 18:43:23 BDT
I have only had 2 faulty discs in the 3 years i have bee with them,i get 3 discs at anytime and the other week i had 3 priority discs at home some of them new releases so im quite happy with them,and as my blu ray player has lovefilm unlimited streaming with 100's of films to choose from at £13 a month its a bargain

Posted on 8 Apr 2012 23:31:06 BDT
Aneesa says:
lovefilms/tesco dvd rentals . is great but some new Bluray titles are missing from their list its a shame because the service gets 10/10 Ive rented about 650 titles in 6 years .

In reply to an earlier post on 9 Apr 2012 04:07:41 BDT
Peter Harris says:
I used the service for nearly three years until they started going missing then your liable
other than that it is without competition

Posted on 9 Apr 2012 11:32:48 BDT
I cancelled my LF subscription years ago, for the precise reason of poor availability of newer releases, relying on 'physical' discs being sent.

However, with their internet 'streaming' service now available through low cost Sony blu ray players, thought things may have picked up...
Not the case it seems, according to my niece who has tried this service, reporting it as bad as ever for new releases.

Is this a case of offering a 'service' where the technology is not quite there yet, or are there other issues?

Posted on 10 Apr 2012 11:57:37 BDT
Mr W says:
I only rate as average. I had a 6 month subscription and started in december last year, i put about 4 titles as high priority and about 10 medium or low , only now in april have i received 2 high priority off the list (probably because they want me to renew) SOME HOPE!
it was mainly blurays I rented , but if you get a dvd its likely to be scratched and wont play. so you have to faff about returning and waiting even longer.
As for the high priority titles, you wait months as i mentioned , I had titles I wanted to see , that I ended up cancelling and buying instead they were so slow. At least back in the day of video shops you'd get it within a few days. for new releases, i think they just lure you with low monthly fees, then once you join they make it hard to cancel as Watchdog publicised a while back.
so theyre ok if you want to watch a lot of old old films , but if youve seen most oldies and just want new releases theyre no good unless you can wait 5/6 months.

Posted on 10 Apr 2012 20:11:32 BDT
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

Posted on 18 Apr 2012 12:38:15 BDT
A Moreton says:
To use LoveFilm properly you have to have plenty of films in your list, I like to keep my list of films at about 100 titles, with at least 15 at high priority. In over 1 year I have never received a film that was not on my list and most of the films I receive are the high priority ones. If you can't think of at least 30 films you want to see then LoveFilm might not be for you.

Posted on 22 Apr 2012 21:27:44 BDT
Last edited by the author on 23 Apr 2012 11:04:29 BDT
Just a quick question about LoveFilm - A friend of mine gave me one of the ''2 Months FREE' cards, so I signed up and put the code in and all was fine. But upon creation of my account, when i click 'My Account' its only saying I have a 30 day trial :S I thought 2 months was 62 days ? Im totally new to LoveFilm so if anyone could explain why (perhaps its the package I chose? surely not though) it would be of great help. Pretty much when I read ''2 Months FREE'' I expected to get 2 months not 30 days.

EDIT: THIS HAS BEEN SORTED OUT BY LoveFilm - apparently there was a problem with the code i entered, it didn't apply properly. Lovefilm team were very fast to respond via email and sorted it our for me in the matter of about 10 minutes.

Posted on 10 May 2012 17:02:24 BDT
I've been with LoveFilm for about 6 weeks and so far I would rate them as very poor. The turnaround time is fine, they are pretty quick. The problem is faulty discs. About 50% of everything I've rented has been faulty, mostly they won't play properly, or have some other defect like a small white line on the screen during playback. I've literally never had a problem with playback with hundreds of DVD/BD I've bought new but with LoveFilm it's a constant problem. It's likely I'm going to cancel my subscription with them soon.

Posted on 10 May 2012 17:47:33 BDT
Last edited by the author on 10 May 2012 17:48:51 BDT
Lee Lucas says:
Yes I very much have the same problem with their discs, you watching a film and then all of sudden it stops and will not play certain parts of it. I am not impressed with the service one bit, i have had the one disc now since November last year and keep forgetting to post it back to them and they still have my £5 every month, it's a waste really and I should shall send the disc back today and cancel them. Really stupid of me really as I have paid some £35 to watch one disc which you cannot see all of the film because it's faulty.

In reply to an earlier post on 15 May 2012 13:16:56 BDT
gatchaman says:
I found the same thing. Good service while I was using it but when I wanted to cancel my account it couldn't be done online. That means a phone call where their sales people try to badger you into staying with them. On top of that I'm now getting constant junk mail with offers trying to tempt me back.

Posted on 22 May 2012 20:40:41 BDT
i been with these on and off in last 5 years and they are the best around , been with alot of others and thought they wher not as good , plus lovefilm has the ps3 witch is a massive plus for me . as for netflix what a joke they are

Posted on 24 May 2012 16:09:51 BDT
C. Gould says:
I signed up for the Netflix trial the other day and the quality of the streaming service wees all over Lovefilm. You also get 5.1 audio.

Posted on 24 May 2012 18:57:42 BDT
Lee Lucas says:
Do they stream in HD, not sure if Lovefilm actually do as I regard paying something like £3.50 to watch a film scandalous, especially when you can rent the Blu Ray for something like £2 and it's got all the features on it.

Posted on 24 May 2012 21:19:07 BDT
Last edited by the author on 24 May 2012 21:20:12 BDT
C. Gould says:
They certainly do (Lovefilm don't and the bitrate is limited). A lot of their programming is HD and they have a lot of great catalogue titles, especially if you're into the geekier stuff. So far I've watched HD versions of The Adventures of Buckaroo Banzai Across the 8th Dimension, Air Force One (the Mrs likes it, not so keen myself), I'm Gonna Git You Sucker and a few others. They have Howard the Duck, Adventures in Babysitting, The Thirteenth Floor, Dune, RoboCop, Darkman, Starship Troopers, Spaceballs, Mystery Men, Mimic, The Princess Bride, Sin City, Tron, Lifeforce, Demon Knight, Vampires, Videodrome, Kickboxer, Ed Wood, Hard Boiled, The Wizard, Explorers, The Lawnmower Man, Lord of Illusions, Sleepwalkers, The Serpent and the Rainbow... There's a lot of cool Asian cinema as well. Battle Royale, Shaolin Soccer, Oldboy, Mr. Vengeance, Hero, Lady Vengeance, The Hidden Blade... That's just the HD stuff, there's a lot more in SD. There are also a ton of TV shows, including HD Arrested Development, Heroes, Dexter, Peep Show, IT Crowd, South Park, Firefly... Christ, they even have Robot Jox in HD!

It's not BD quality, but the HD streams are better than Virgin (and Sky from anecdotal evidence). Even the SD streams look pretty good. I said I was going to get the trial to watch a few things and cancel before the end, but at this rate I'll probably end up keeping it as there's so much I want to watch. The classic cartoons alone could keep me going for months (Hulk (80s, 90s), Thor, Spider-Man (60s, 80s, 90s, 00s and Amazing Friends), Captain America, Spider-Woman, Sub-Mariner, Avengers, Fantastic Four, Iron Man), let alone hundred of episodes of shows like 24 that I never saw. Some decent comedy shows from George Carlin and the like as well.

It's not for everyone, especially if you want the latest films, but it's not meant for that. It's great if there's nothing on TV though. This comparison of the two services sold me on Nexflix:

http://whatculture.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/Quality-Test-NvLF.jpg
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the high definition discussion forum

This discussion

Participants:  94
Total posts:  154
Initial post:  14 May 2010
Latest post:  30 Jun 2015

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 21 customers

Search Customer Discussions