Customer Discussions > high definition discussion forum

HMV Blu-ray Rip-offs

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 476-500 of 1000 posts in this discussion
Posted on 11 Apr 2012 21:57:11 BDT
Mark Beggs says:
i have noticed even hmv online has got expensive lately jaws steelbook for example £25

Posted on 12 Apr 2012 01:11:54 BDT
Having worked at hmv in the past (no I didn't lose my job - but the big wave of closures was happening around then and of course its no joke for those affected), I have a couple of thoughts - almost without fail when you go to hmv (and probably alot of other retailers) if you see '2 for £30' or 'buy one get one free' etc. you are looking at a created market - as others have pointed out, individually they would cost almost as much as sold together. Its leading the consumer to buy more and pay more under the belief that they are getting a good deal. Its a basic retail tactic and unfortunately after working there you see that it does actually work - especially at Christmas with unsuspecting shoppers - often older people and other people who aren't too savvy with the internet. Its amazing how much utter crap can be sold over Christmas if you slap a pink sale sticker on it. But its not just '2 for £30' type offers that are disingenuine. Most sales (and this isn't just hmv - just follow play.com's sales for a couple of months) are not real reductions, just items restickered at the price they were selling at previously, as well as bulk supplies that come in of particular lines at a fixed 'lower' price. Generally speaking, we all know that chart and back catalogue stuff is way more expensive in HMV stores than online, but so called 'sale' or 'offer' lines (typically films and music released within the last couple of years that are still pretty popular) will often be £3/5/7 or 2 for 10, and if you are desperate to own The Hangover on dvd then in these price ranges your not likely to be much better off buying online. What do HMV get right? Well, if you can be bothered to browse regularly they do have the odd good deal on box sets, sometimes undercutting online costs considerably -when I was there the Wire, Battlestar, Heroes, Lost, 24 - all had genuinely better deals than the then online prices - but these deals lasted maybe a week and then changed again. I've actually found that for blu ray they sometimes have good deals - the 2 for £15, though again a created market, had some pretty good films in it - I got Zodiac and bridge on the river kwai - online they were about £7 each, so it made no difference and they were both films I actually wanted. In that case, it can work out ok. I also got the Alien anthology for £17 in store while it was still over £20 on amazon (I wish I had got it now when its only about £13!). long post - sorry - in the end though, there are no physical retailers that I know of that are genuinely good for blu ray. My local sainsburys has become strangely the best place to find obscure dvd's, and fopp in covent garden is always good for a browse. But supermarkets suck for blu ray in selection and cost. ramble ramble ramble....

Posted on 12 Apr 2012 10:50:40 BDT
Sam Todd says:
You say a created market but only a fool would dive in for a 2 for offer without checking prices elsewhere. To my surprise, having over 300 blurays in my collection i have never encountered a 2 for £30. Considering most brand new blurays start at roughly £14.99 (except 3D) no decent retailer would sell 2 £15 movies for a special £30 without us hearing of the foray of feedback from us 'savvy' shoppers.
I know that HMV's recent release steelbooks are only a few quid more expensive than other sites and they generally start at £20. When BD first started the cost of the blank bluray discs,BD25 and BD50, were high and that was passed on to the consumer but with todays huge market of new bds and re-prints of older movies like Jaws the cost has fallen and can't be blamed for the price anymore. I remember buying a blank bluray for £23 years ago ( sucker!) now you can buy 5 for £5. I know i've had a go at HMV on this thread but i think the industry as a whole needs to take responsibility for the cost of watching movies either at the cinema or home theatre. It's a vicious circle of finger pointing, Universal/Paramount/20thCF etc blame big budget blockbusters and piracy for the cost, cinema chains/retailers blame the movie companies, recession and Piratebay/PSP site users blame the industry! lol
Sure HMV and other retailers need to make a profit but some will perish before the big movie makers reduce the rivers of cash they receive, business.
There's no right or wrong answer in this industry as each party feed each other with the studios having the lion's share, sadly for retailers like HMV doodoo runs downhill!

In reply to an earlier post on 12 Apr 2012 14:59:48 BDT
yes - market is probably not the correct term as it implies competition, what I meant was simply creating an illusory deal or bargain. As for 'only a fool would dive in...without checking prices elsewhere.' I agree (though fool is your word not mine!), but like I said below, it happens all the time. The reality is that while a lot of us have made the shift to online shopping, there are surprising numbers of people who haven't, and won't make the time or exert the effort required to shop around. That's just my observation from working in that environment. Is it their fault or retailers fault that they are ripped off when the buy in store? I don't know! As for '2 for 30' that was just a hypothetical to make a point, not an actual sales pitch. '2 for 15' is something they have done with the blu rays for sale at £10 individually, but these were typically films you could purchase online for around £7 individually. Also, though I don't know about blu rays specifically, they certainly did with other products, where for example t shirts would cost £10 each. The following week they bumped the individual prices up to £11 each, but put them on a 2 for £20 'offer' as if you are saving money. The power of suggestion!

In reply to an earlier post on 14 Apr 2012 09:37:45 BDT
I won't shop at HMV anymore, they are a major rip off, you'd think in this time when internet shopping or downloading (illegal or not) has killed many home entertainment businesses that they would be smart enough to keep people coming through the door with good deals and better prices. Also I don't live in the UK anymore and as a result i wasn't allowed a points card and as a result i've taken my business elsewhere.

In reply to an earlier post on 14 Apr 2012 12:10:52 BDT
Last edited by the author on 14 Apr 2012 12:13:46 BDT
PoochJD says:
@Robert Higgins: You don't live in the UK anymore, and because you weren't allowed a points card (an item, I might add, that wouldn't have been of any use outside of the UK anyhow), you throw a hissy fit, and "take my business elsewhere".

That's genius!

Blaming a company for not allowing you to have something that would have been unusable to you in the first place!

Assuming you don't buy women's clothes, are you also now going to complain to "Dorothy Perkins", when they don't send you money-off vouchers for women's clothing, despite the fact you don't buy such items, and don't shop at their establishment?!

In reply to an earlier post on 14 Apr 2012 14:41:48 BDT
Sam Todd says:
Your right, anyone know how I get in contact with Ann Summers? Lol

Posted on 14 Apr 2012 20:35:00 BDT
N. Sampson says:
Yes we all agree that HMV is overpriced but occassionally they do offer something cheaper than others. The point is we need competion if it was just amazon, or Zavi or whatever there would be no incentive to keep prices keen. The moral is whatever you want it pays to shop around.

Posted on 14 Apr 2012 22:21:47 BDT
Last edited by the author on 14 Apr 2012 22:24:19 BDT
Has anyone seen how much the Star Wars Blu Ray Box set is on Hmv.com recently ?.

http://hmv.com/hmvweb/displayProductDetails.do?ctx=280;12;-1;-1;-1

£100 is just ridiculous !

Posted on 15 Apr 2012 14:01:25 BDT
Sam Todd says:
Some prices are ok at the mo, Limited Sherlock Holmes A Game of Shadows bluray steelbook is £15 and Girl with the Dragon Tattoo |£14 (bluray limited steelbook) and when you consider alot of their big name movie steels begin at £19.99 and rise over time that price is ok and i pre-ordered because the basic double play bluray will be £15 too.
But i do agree that whoever decides some of the prices needs a reality check, advice given to them that no sane shopper will pay £100 for a big selling item like the Star Wars boxset that's £45 everywhere else. They are asking 50 quid for the trilogy when you can buy the complete saga and still have around £5 left on amazon/play etc.
As i've said before it's swings and roundabouts, some steelbooks are down in the sale but Cars 2, Devil's double (c**p), Hurt Locker and many more have all increased in price, Priest was a tenner and now is £22. This tactic is not just used by HMV, most retailers including ASDA and TESCO advertise hundreds of sale items but don't tell you about all the hikes in price directed at those same bargain hunters lured by the sale.

Also, one avenue HMV must be losing numbers and sales through is the comparison websites being used more and more because of the growing market in bluray movies. Regular collectors and bargain hunters like most of us on this thread get to know which sites are best for regular good deals but those comparing prices must notice well known UK retailer HMV way down on many items, on some items out of the top ten.
HMV need to really compete to survive, there has been no recent news in my area of closures, redundancies so unless you work for them knowing their true financial situation is unclear but with Amazon building these new huge warehouses around the UK improving efficiency and Play proposing them it will only increase the pressure on the " smaller " retailer.
But HMV are still fighting, in their own way.

In reply to an earlier post on 18 Apr 2012 04:08:19 BDT
fruitloops says:
sometimes customers arent actually stupid but arent all that bothered about price. i buy on the internet most of the time, but i also regularly buy in HMV knowing i can get it cheaper on the internet. one reason i may do that is with something that wont fit through my letterbox, its not worth me wasting hours going to the the sorting office just to save £3 or whatever. also i tend to buy some items in HMV where i want to get decent packaging, ie i can choose a box that isnt battered to death unlike on the internet where its totally random as to the condition you receive. Also i may want to actually watch it that evening or weekend, i once paid £50 in HMV for a blu-ray that was £35 online and the person serving me looked at me like she thought i was retarded. Amazingly £15 isnt actually a lot of money to everybody, yes i try to get the best deal most of the time but on rare occasions i will pay more money to watch it that day instead of a week later. The thought that people actually think any "offers" in HMV are really offers is laughable, the average customer isnt as stupid as the staff like to think they are!

Posted on 18 Apr 2012 19:16:06 BDT
s

Posted on 18 Apr 2012 19:16:51 BDT
Sainsbury's and Asda have better priced blur rays than HMV, some at £5

Posted on 19 Apr 2012 18:15:24 BDT
C says:
HMV can be expensive but if you take Amazon they price based upon what other retailers do. Taking one studio who sell lots of 2 disk TV shows with a 13.61 DP, Play used to sell at 11.99 and ship VAT free, Amazon sold at 11.99 and shipped VAT inclusive. Considering the margins in the market I doubt Amazon can take an extra 16.6% overhead plus make a profit. These same 2 disk titles are now both 13.99 as they are released because the VAT has kicked in on Play and Amazon are just price matching.

DVDs have been cheap for years online due to VAT free buying but Amazon is a machine, price matching the majors at any cost and bullying suppliers to match deals. They create a very anticompetitive vibe and the DVD market online is simply dull as you just have basically clone websites, typically offering the same price, give or take a few pennies.

Supermarkets have massive buying power and a small bit of space for some disks costs very little whilst they are busy fleecing you with their dubious special offers.

As traditional and independent businesses continue to disappear you might find yourself left with little option but working in an Amazon warehouse or a Tesco call centre being heavily tax (as most of us are already) whilst these massive retailers route UK consumer's cash all over the world so they contribute as little as possible to the UK treasury.

Posted on 21 Apr 2012 02:07:57 BDT
Sam Todd says:
The dvd market is dull because it's a fading technology, albeit not fading as quick as was predicted. In a few years dvd will follow the route of vhs tapes, some people won't accept this either because they don't want to change or are not willing to pay extra for bluray but this progression is inevitable.

Play and Amazon have been price matching for years, the key is not to jump in when you see an item as shopping around can save money and play, zavvi and even HMV have sales roughly every month. Some posts have stated what's the fuss about as the difference may only be a few quid to a tenner but with over 400 BD's i've saved alot of money. Those who can't be bothered/too busy to shop around should not be complaining on threads about high prices! =p

In reply to an earlier post on 21 Apr 2012 12:47:38 BDT
Uncle DJ says:
How have I never checked out Zavvi before? Mission Impossible 4; Play @£17.99, Amazon @ £14.97, HMV @£18 and Zavvi @ £14.95. You do have to look around as it works the other way too. Like Sherlock Homes and Game of Shadows 2 film set, Zavvi @ £22.95, HMV @ £18, Play @ £17.99 and Amazon @ £17.99.

I have patience with some films though. I don't mind waiting a few months until they go to £10. I love sales and clearance too :-P

Posted on 2 Jun 2012 20:11:50 BDT
HMV must of had a kick up the ar*e, they are actually pretty good at the minute for their BLU prices,,,,CHRONICLE £15, Asda £14.97, Amazon £14.98.. ALIEN, ALIENS, ALIEN 3, ALIEN RESSURECTION £6 each, Asda £6.97, Amazon £6.98 going up too £12.97 for RESSURECTION... ALL IN ALL NOT BAD LATELY , HOPE THEY KEEP IT UP !

In reply to an earlier post on 4 Jun 2012 20:09:40 BDT
Uncle DJ says:
No retailer selling any Alien individual film from £6-£13 should sleep at night when you can get the box set for £9-£10.

Posted on 5 Jun 2012 16:47:56 BDT
Grev says:
HMV are/were selling the Sin City blu ray in store for 8 quid, was was cheaper than any on line price last week.

Posted on 5 Jun 2012 18:14:50 BDT
Q Quarters says:
As they are still on the high street they are pricing themselves out of business. i don't know who works in their central office making decisions. Currently online they are selling From Dusk to Dawn 2 and 3 (two really poor movies ) at over 20 pounds on blu ray, Copland blu ray for 24 pounds and amazingly Hellraiser 6 and 7 on dvd for 22 pounds each. You would need to be certified to pay those prices.

In reply to an earlier post on 5 Jun 2012 18:20:17 BDT
Q Quarters says:
Tescos seem to have made a strategic decision to sell blu rays at the full reccommended price. Gone are the days when new chart entries were available on offer.

In reply to an earlier post on 5 Jun 2012 18:27:42 BDT
HMV & ASDA sell chart entries at a lower price for the 1st week upon release then they go up a few quid !

In reply to an earlier post on 5 Jun 2012 19:57:41 BDT
Q Quarters says:
I find Sainsburys generally cheaper for the chart blu rays when first released - yes hmv sometimes do this but then they also tend to bump the prices up sometimes after the pre order period.
i asked a memeber of staff in hmv once when Scream was issued as to why they were selling it for 30 quid and she said it was head office who decided the price , so i went home and bought it for 9 quid online - cannot see hmv surviving beyond xmas - they have sold off their concert venues which were actually making a profit

Posted on 5 Jun 2012 20:41:22 BDT
luvstuff says:
I'm sure everyone knows about this but a good way to save money on dvd/blu rays if you are buying from Amazon is to use http://uk.camelcamelcamel.com/. For example Donnie Darko (Director's Cut on Blu Ray) is listed right now as a "Good Deal" as last year (May) it was selling for 14.52 and since September 2011 it has not been offered on Amazon for lower than 7.99, the price it is now. Also creating a wish list which you can import to camelcamelcamel if it is a public one lets you track the quite significant price hikes and drops on Amazon e.g. Alien (standalone feature film on Blu Ray that was just released in January 2012) was just £6 the other day (sold direct from Amazon) and has now suddenly gone up to 14.97 (now sold by a seller and fulfilled by Amazon).

In reply to an earlier post on 6 Jun 2012 11:36:29 BDT
Last edited by the author on 6 Jun 2012 11:40:47 BDT
PoochJD says:
@UncleDJ: What you say is true, but then not everyone may want the boxed set. So, to get a decent film on Blu-Ray for under a tenner, these days, is actually pretty good - no matter who is selling it. And HMV are selling quite a lot of good titles for under a tenner: the "Alien" franchise being just one. (I've also picked-up "Predator: Ultimate Edition", "American Beauty", "Total Recall", "Trainspotting", and many others for about £7-£8 each, from HMV, which make for very good value!) However, my best buy from the Jubilee weekend, was getting the "Apocalypse Now" Blu-Ray boxed-set for £17 (the one that includes both versions of the film, plus "Hearts Of Darkness" and some brochures). Amazon have that for sale at £20.19, as of today (6th June 2012).
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the high definition discussion forum

This discussion

Participants:  304
Total posts:  1503
Initial post:  7 Oct 2009
Latest post:  17 days ago

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 20 customers

Search Customer Discussions