Customer Discussions > high definition discussion forum

HMV Blu-ray Rip-offs

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 1000 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 7 Oct 2009 21:50:02 BDT
Anyone been to HMV lately to take a gander at their Blu-ray's heavily inflated prices? what a Rip-off !! Cos theres no competition on the market (no Woolworths or Zavvi) they feel it right to (attempt) to charge us the earth. I feel Blu-ray isn't gonna take off properly for another year at least, so it looks as if buying online is the best alternative...for now. I used to love HMV !!

Posted on 7 Oct 2009 22:04:12 BDT
D. Buxton says:
To be honest even when they had competition they were still expensive (although they do have some Blu Rays for £10 and most new releases are around £18-ish).

When they have their buy 1 get 1 free promotion I have to laugh because they put the prices up to £30 each so really your getting 2 normal priced Blu Rays.

I also noticed today that they are still charging £27 for the Chicago Blu Ray!! I buy my Blu Rays from Amazon so HMV can stick their "offers" where the sun doesn't shine :)

Posted on 7 Oct 2009 22:09:07 BDT
I noticed that also, it was like...."hang on, how comes Gladiator costs 30 frickin quid NOW!! and i get another free"... hmmmm sure that means that it will cost 15 quid for each blu-ray,
Makes you think of these Marketing nobs who come out with these ideas...what school of economics did they attend lol

Posted on 7 Oct 2009 22:28:01 BDT
I get all my Blu-Ray's from Amazon. HMV is a rip off. I went in today to check out the price on State of Play, turns out it was £19.99. Much cheaper here.

Posted on 7 Oct 2009 22:31:07 BDT
A. Foxley says:
I think the problem is that the costs are so high, and they sell so few that they have to charge much higher prices instore - but it's a vicious circle, really. They'd probably sell more if they slashed prices, after all. FWIW, online the same titles are usually a lot cheaper. The supermarkets aren't much cheaper, either, when they actually stock Blu Ray discs.

Posted on 7 Oct 2009 23:39:27 BDT
C. Gould says:
HMV has always changed full retail for new releases. Come to think of it, so did Woolworths before they went bust (and Zavvi weren't much better). TESCO/ASDA etc occasionally have the odd cheap disc, but the only place you're going to get bargains nowadays is online.

Posted on 8 Oct 2009 00:23:20 BDT
W. Harris says:
I agree with everyone's comments, however HMV online have the odd bargain...I picked up Battle of Wits for £6.99. Not everyones cup of tea but still a few quid cheaper than elsewhere...but why don't they just do it in the store and absorb the overheads some other way. Problem is there will always be someone with that "Ive got to buy it now and watch it tonight whilst I'm here" mentality who'll pay full price!

Posted on 8 Oct 2009 02:44:31 BDT
DAVID OWEN says:
The longer HMV have a title in stock the more expensive they get! It's almost as if they don't want to sell anything. The five disc set of Star Trek on blu ray is £100!!!

Posted on 8 Oct 2009 15:26:37 BDT
Mr. C. Myers says:
W.Harris,.....
You are totally right, HMV has always been a total rip off. They feed off the 'i Must have it now' people. I go to the Metro center every second monday with the wife and kids.....I fall victim to this every single time, and after I watch the movie I just payed £25 for, I go on Amazon and look and see the price is below £15, pathetic but I always fall for it....I thik its boredom haha

Posted on 8 Oct 2009 15:58:36 BDT
M. Deakin says:
I went into HMV in Bristol the other day and saw Kung Fu Panda for £30!! I got mine for just under a tenner at Head (formerly known as Zavvi)

In reply to an earlier post on 8 Oct 2009 23:56:05 BDT
flik says:
HMV have increased the blu ray disney collection price since the buy 1 get 1 free promotion by £7 Per disc so you are not getting a bargain the reason i know this was monsters inc was £17.99 on sunday 04.10.2009 instore £24.99 monday instore buy from amazon they won't rip you off

Posted on 9 Oct 2009 06:47:33 BDT
I went in WHSmiths for the first time in ages last weekend. I was quite shocked. Yeah, the latest BD's are expensive but also they had quite a good selection around the tenner mark. Matching or bettering online prices at times.
I think the only time I shop at HMV is when I'm looking for TV Boxsets during (never ending) sale periods. Other than that it's just desperation.

Posted on 9 Oct 2009 09:02:03 BDT
Alfie says:
M. Deakin - Kung Fu Panda is also £30 at HMV Oxford St. As is The Day After Tomorrow!!!! I just can't get my head round it.

In reply to an earlier post on 9 Oct 2009 09:26:17 BDT
C. Gould says:
"I went into HMV in Bristol the other day and saw Kung Fu Panda for £30!! I got mine for just under a tenner at Head (formerly known as Zavvi)"

The high street shopping in Bristol has always been crap, but it's even worse now that HMV are the only major retailer of new releases. I went into Head on Sunday and although they had a few different titles from last time I couldn't find anything that I really wanted or didn't have. That's the trouble with only selling older releases, but I guess it's not too bad for people who are starting to build their collections.

Posted on 9 Oct 2009 11:10:04 BDT
HMV stores have always been expensive on blu ray. Its a no brainer don't buy there buy here from Amazon. Cheaper, better selection and you dont have to leave home. HMV online well, its always worth having a look as occasionly they do have the odd movie cheaper, not often but i have had the odd bargain there.

Posted on 9 Oct 2009 14:47:37 BDT
B. Woodend says:
Yes I Agree HMV Is A Rip Of I Get All My Blue Ray From Amazon They Have A Better Selection And The Price's Are Much Cheaper Infact I Have Just Orderd Two Blue Ray's From Amazon Yesterday Freddy Vs Jason And The Rogue.......

In reply to an earlier post on 15 Oct 2009 17:03:04 BDT
J. Gotham says:
yeah - other than any obvious stock clearing price drops to £9.99.. mostly their blu rays are around £20.

infact recently Ive noticed they put an offer on for buy one get one free, but the compatible discs had mysteriously increased to like £25 each ? so pretty much you can buy the same discs here at amazon for the same price after HMV gave you one free ?

rip-off. shop at amazon - its the clever choice.

Posted on 15 Oct 2009 23:13:18 BDT
Mr. C. Hyder says:
HMV a rip off, hardly a news flash, but I'll add my own example that literally stopped me in my tracks when I saw it and had me silently mouthing WTF! Wall-E, long after initial release for £33 and not part of any kind of offer and the recent-ish Harry Potter box set (first 5 movies if I recall correctly) for £87!!!

Posted on 16 Oct 2009 05:31:59 BDT
DeeJay says:
Hmv don't sell new titles at their RRP, normally the £18-£20 mark, whereas the retail price is £25-£30. Older catalogue titles retail at full RRP though. I used to work at HMV and nobody instore new why either lol.

Posted on 16 Oct 2009 09:21:02 BDT
DragonINC18 says:
HMV are evil when it comes to new tech prices!!! The BOGOF 'promotion' makes me laugh everytime I see it!!! £30 for 1 Blu ray.........WTF!!!

It is strange though cos HMV's online store is pretty cheap and can def compete with amazon/play!!!

Also just a quickie, ASDA are actually not bad on blu ray prices & are currently offering 2 for £20 on some blu's!!! not bad considering this postal strike will take ages for your free delivery to arrive and if you do pay p&p the price will top £20 anyway!!!

Posted on 16 Oct 2009 20:17:18 BDT
try checking out Morrisons if you have one nearby. I've seen quite a few cheaper Blu Rays there.

In reply to an earlier post on 19 Oct 2009 17:07:27 BDT
G. loder says:
i found that asda aint bad for blue ray one prob is they only sell the latest ones dam dam dam

Posted on 20 Oct 2009 10:04:02 BDT
Pierre says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on 20 Oct 2009 17:48:54 BDT
Zavvi is back online, They have a few good offers.
Amazon & Play.com seem best for Blu-ray's at the moment.

Have a look at this price search site.
http://www.cheapbluraymovies.co.uk/

Posted on 21 Oct 2009 10:20:28 BDT
DM Bunny says:
I don't understand why everyone is saying that HMV is a rip-off . Of course HMV High Street Stores are a rip-off , no doubt about it. However, to make a fair analysis with amazon etc you have to check their ONLINE prices and these compare very favourably with all other major retailers such as amazon the hut sendit zavvi etc etc
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... 59 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the high definition discussion forum

More Customer Discussions

Most active community forums
Most active product forums

Amazon forums

This discussion

Participants:  303
Total posts:  1462
Initial post:  7 Oct 2009
Latest post:  13 Dec 2014

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 23 customers

Search Customer Discussions