Customer Discussions > health discussion forum

Diabetes and cheapest testing. Anyone else confused?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-11 of 11 posts in this discussion
Posted on 29 Jul 2013 17:35:33 BDT
Ian Henry says:
Monitors are often given away free (I've got shelves of them) and the evil big pharma makes profits on finger prick devices and needles and the test strips. The NHS spends £millions each year on these. It's a natural curiosity of diabetics to know their numbers, but for type 2s the only time this is likely to be helpful is to see if they've gone hypo (unusual). A portion of chocolate will also confirm and, indeed treat this.
The blood test from the hospital lab measures HbA1c. This reflects the average sugar levels over the preceding 6 weeks and the quality of this correlates with the risk of developing complications.
People with type 1 usefully check their BMs to manipulate their insulin regime/dosage.
I guess if a type 1 consistently gets high readings it might be a powerful motivator to look at diet and exercise. But the evidence is not there for using finger tests routinely in type 1. Try telling the patients that and they suspect you of saving money at the expense of their health.
Before you prick your finger ask yourself if the result will influence your treatment that day.

Posted on 26 Jul 2013 13:57:34 BDT
Jez says:
Thanks Lister of Smeg. Since posting and ,I believe, because of monitoring, I have brought my quarterly check numbers down.

All those who say you don't need to test unless you're on meds, well, sorry, I don't agree.

Posted on 25 Jul 2013 21:47:48 BDT
The Nexus GlucoRX has some of the cheapest test strips. If you have to pay for them yourself then it is worth considering. I checked the results several times against hospital blood tests and it was quite accurate, slightly better than a One Touch Ultra.

In reply to an earlier post on 16 Feb 2013 17:05:17 GMT
jeanette says:
WISH I WAS THAT

In reply to an earlier post on 5 Feb 2013 17:38:01 GMT
Jez says:
It depends where you live in the the country, Geordie. I even quoted the NICE guidlines and that didn't help. The NICE guidlines say the patient should be encouraged to take charge of their condition.

Nadda!!!!

In reply to an earlier post on 4 Feb 2013 20:30:17 GMT
Geordie says:
Hi,
I'm type 2 and you are entitled to a blood monitor. Ask to see another doctor

In reply to an earlier post on 18 Jan 2013 18:13:06 GMT
Jez says:
NHS here wont give out unless you're well down the line, Roger. I want to keep myself monitored NOW so it doesn't get to the 'down the line situation'. Do you get all the stcks and lancettes free, Roger?

Posted on 18 Jan 2013 14:40:00 GMT
Should be available Free of charge from AVIVA Accu-chek, if you have been diagnosed.

In reply to an earlier post on 13 Jan 2013 22:22:12 GMT
Jez says:
I got one and am getting reading between 5.1 and 10.1 I think I need to keep an eye on it and will know when to be careful.

Posted on 13 Jan 2013 20:06:07 GMT
You may not need to test at all. Only need to test if on a treatment regimin that you alterin response to results

Initial post: 12 Jan 2013 17:27:06 GMT
Jez says:
Type 2 diabetes and GP unwilling to give blood monitor. I'm having to but my own and wanted to know the cheapest collections or sellers.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the health discussion forum (16 discussions)

Discussion Replies Latest Post
Low carb diet for long term health? 23 19 Oct 2014
Psychotherapy In Crisis: Too Many Drugs and Not Enough Therapy 4 16 Dec 2013
Bad advice in a DR. OZ book!!!!READ!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 3 10 Dec 2013
Adult ADHD & Access to NHS Services 1 28 Sep 2013
Trouble breathing with a deviated septum. Drastic action now needed! 4 29 Jul 2013
Diabetes and cheapest testing. Anyone else confused? 10 29 Jul 2013
A good exercise bike less than £100 thats good for hiit ?. 3 5 May 2013
Body Sculpture BC6730G Exercise Bike 2 19 Apr 2012
Feel Good Friday 3 Feb - Try a therapy and support Samaritans 0 19 Jan 2012
Help ensure that Healthcare remains accesible for all in the UK 0 19 Nov 2011
Does the York DB4 bench have a leg developer attachment? 2 4 Oct 2011
Fate Threw Me A Curve Ball 0 27 Jul 2011

More Customer Discussions

Most active community forums
Most active product forums

Amazon forums

This discussion

Discussion in:  health discussion forum
Participants:  7
Total posts:  11
Initial post:  12 Jan 2013
Latest post:  29 Jul 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions