Shop now Shop now Shop now  Up to 70% Off Fashion  Shop all Amazon Fashion Cloud Drive Photos Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now Shop Fire Shop Kindle Shop now Shop now Shop now
Customer Discussions > headphones discussion forum

Good run-proof headphones with phone controls

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-9 of 9 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 29 Sep 2011 14:32:34 BDT
I do a lot of running but one thing that frustrates me is finding a COMFORTABLE pair of headphones that are "sport proof".
This means they shouldn't fall of when running, be sweat-proof and let in some ambient noise for safety reasons.
As it connects to my phone via a standard 3.5 hole I want to be able to answer calls with it to (this means it needs a mic & buttons attached)
I found these ones Sennheiser OMX 680i High-performance Clip-on Headset Integrated Remote and Mic but the reviews seem really bad.
All the Sennheiser 680i range have the right features and look perfect from the blurb but comments seem to point out that they aren't as durable as they say.
What do you think? Are there any better alternatives?
My budget is sub-£50
Thanks

Posted on 30 Sep 2011 23:33:37 BDT
Last edited by the author on 30 Sep 2011 23:36:36 BDT
MC Zaptone says:
I don't believe what you are asking for exists. A decent pair of budstick headphones need a secure seal inside the ear if they are not to fall out while jogging and that negates the ambient noise. Also, most quality headphones like an uninterrupted connection to the source, putting a rocker switch and a mic along the cable will compromise the sound quality. That is why these products get bad ratings along with weak connection points.
I would settle on a mid-priced set up such as the Sennheiser fit some gel-tech expansion covers Koss Expanding Replacement Foam Plugs for Koss In-Ear Headphones over the buds so they stay in place and fit a good cable tidy such as a Belkin iPOD EARBUD CLIP * CBL MNGMNT; BLACK and a cable clip LUPO Smartwrap Silicone Earphone Cable Wrap Cable Manager For iPhone, iPod Classic, Touch, Iphone, Nano, Shuffle & All Other MP3/MP4 Players - WHITE to take up the slack and keep the pressure away from the jack/junction points as this is usually where they break.

I still reckon you will need to replace them at least once a year!
Hope this helps
MC

Posted on 19 Oct 2011 14:22:27 BDT
I actually found a really helpful tool on the Sennheiser website (http://bit.ly/nvsXmW) that lets you put in what you want and it will find the best set for you.
This lead me to definitely go for the OMX 680i.
I got them and they fitted great but unfortunately the controls only work with iPhones not other manufacturers, so I'm going to have to have another look :(

Posted on 26 Nov 2011 14:41:58 GMT
DICKP says:
My problem I think are my ears,the only ear phones that will stay in are the one with clips that go behind the ear,I have a pair and they are great,but no good for answering my HTC Wildfire S as there are no mic and button.
Any one know of earphones with clips & microphone for use as hands free.

Posted on 16 Dec 2011 19:56:13 GMT
I run and I wear a pair of Sony DR 21 bluetooth headphones with my ipod touch. ( http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sony-DR-Bluetooth-Headphones-Black/dp/B000RZEK4K/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1324064637&sr=8-4) They are a pair of over the ear headphones with a behind the head neckband, so they do not eliminate all ambient noise, they have controls for answering the phone and controlling track selection and a built in mic (although I have not used the phone functionality so I can't comment on performance in that regard), the only draw back is they have sponge covers over the ear pieces which do absorb sweat, but they can be removed and washed after your run and they dry quickly.

In reply to an earlier post on 16 Dec 2011 20:55:57 GMT
DICKP says:
Appreciate you review,will check them out,many thanks.

Posted on 18 Sep 2012 17:30:00 BDT
https://dealcloud.co.uk/National/-9-for-iLeaf-noise-cancelling-earphones-value-30-/169008

Posted on 16 Oct 2012 14:42:48 BDT
marcus says:
AKG K326 in ear headphones are pretty good as they are over ear fitting and they can me bent to mould to your ear size they are vary well made, they have mic and track skip on iPhone as you use Siri to say skip track and it will. You can either use a foam ear piece but they also come with a silicon rim around the edge of the speaker and housing instead.You can pay between 40-60 pounds I think but I was lucky and paid 20 pounds a bargain. They are pretty robust and well made and for 20pound can't complain. The cable is high quality they look really good sound is loud and you can hear what's going on around you. Even tho I don't and can't go running I think they would stay positioned pretty well. I have bought Many different types of headphones and it is hard to get everything you want in one pair so you do seem to have compromise don't know why you can't get everything you want in one pair especially with today's tech. I would also say even tho you can manipulate these to your ear shape don't bend them too much as in, once done leave them in that position to avoid possible damage. Hope this helps somebody good luck hunting.

In reply to an earlier post on 28 Oct 2012 16:08:49 GMT
Brass Neck says:
Do they have to be in-ear phones. I cycle and have tried a number of on-ear options but by far the best have been Grado iGrado Portable Headphones which are £45. They are open-backed so will let in some ambient noise (and sound leakage would annoy people on the bus for instance), the band goes round the back rather than over the top of your head and they sit securely on your ears without moving around. I've never had a moment's discomfort from mine even after 4-5 hours on a ride but some reviewers do complain of this. You can easily get replacement earpads if they get too sweatsoaked. The cable is relatively short so it won't be flapping around - long enough to tuck down the front and then round to the pockets on the back of a cycle shirt. The sound kicks phones like Sennheisers which I also own into touch. Unlike the Sennheisers the cable hasn't broken ..... yet after 3 years or so.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the headphones discussion forum (31 discussions)

More Customer Discussions

Most active community forums
Most active product forums

Amazon forums

This discussion

Participants:  7
Total posts:  9
Initial post:  29 Sep 2011
Latest post:  28 Oct 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 4 customers

Search Customer Discussions