Customer Discussions > headphones discussion forum

Headphone Amp with Volume Limiter

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-3 of 3 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 14 Oct 2011 15:10:21 BDT
I am looking for a headphone amp with some means of restricting the maximum volume and / or overload protection.

It would be for use with a hifi system - at present my amplifier is far too powerful for the headphones I have - Sennheiser HD555 and 380Pro, and I have to keep the volume only just above zero! Portability for use with an iPod on the go would be useful too, but mainly it is for use with my main amp.

At present I have an iPod Classic (through a Cambridge Audio dock), and also a Cambridge Audio CD player. They both go through a pretty old 1980's Technics amp - nothing special but the sound quality is much better than listening through the iPod directly.

I have tried the well-known B-Tech headphone amp but this did not have a good overall tonal balance - too much bass in relation to treble. Also the maximum volume was too high, and no means of limiting it other than making sure the volume control was kept down. Dont know if it has any overload protection.

I have also tried a portable headphone amp - the Fii0 E7 (through their L3 dock cable). This does have a volume limiting system and using the L3 dock cable with its standardised output enables good volume limitation (with my headphones anyway), but I could not detect any significant improvement in sound quality over simply using the normal iPod headphone socket. It was certainly inferior to using my full-size amp.

Any help appreciated.

Posted on 14 Oct 2011 17:45:50 BDT
MC Zaptone says:
Hi Alistair, My first stop would be the Firestone range, superb sound and value.

Have a look at the range complete with prices:

http://www.russandrews.com/category.asp?lookup=0®ion=UK¤cy=GBP&cat_id=pfirestone&pf_id=&jump=12&customer_id=PAA1480105411784YKKRMWFVOHGCXCNM

Or google: firestone audio

Hope that helps
MC

Posted on 23 Dec 2011 18:50:04 GMT
Rit says:
Maybe look at the Fiio range or the new soundmagic amp.

I bought the Fiio E5 a couple years back and it is AWESOME!
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

More Customer Discussions

Most active community forums
Most active product forums

Amazon forums

This discussion

Participants:  3
Total posts:  3
Initial post:  14 Oct 2011
Latest post:  23 Dec 2011

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions