Customer Discussions > full hd televisions discussion forum

Samsung 40" HD TV with Freeview

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 34 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 21 Feb 2010 21:29:10 GMT
Last edited by the author on 21 Feb 2010 21:33:23 GMT
S. L. Lewis says:
I purchased this set (Samsung LE40B550A5 LCD HD 1080p Digital Television, 40 Inch) a couple of months ago and just love it. Only downside is the sound, could be alot better, but picture quality is lovely.
My question is, It has full HD, does that mean I still have to connect it to something else to get HD pictures, ie: Sky+HD etc? Or do I have HD pictures and not know it, as the picture quality does seem far superior to my last HD ready tv.

Posted on 11 Mar 2010 01:19:15 GMT
A. Bond says:
I'm surprised nobody has replied to your question,as the answer is simple, to receive HD pictures you will require a HD signal (Sky-Freesat etc), you can now receive HD tv on Freeview, but you will have to buy a HD tuner, they cost 165, but make sure that you can receive the signal in your area before you buy, if you are happy with your tv picture at the moment then maybe the upgrade is not worth the extra cost.
To improve the sound quality of your tv you will have to install a 5.1 home cinema system, if you are not Tech minded then get someone to install it for you, good luck.

In reply to an earlier post on 11 Mar 2010 07:49:19 GMT
S. L. Lewis says:
Thanks for the reply.
My question is, if you need all this equipment to receive HD pictures, then why did I bother to buy a full HD tv? A HD ready would have sufficed surely.

Posted on 11 Mar 2010 09:43:02 GMT
Last edited by the author on 11 Mar 2010 09:46:41 GMT
A. Bond says:
Yes you are quite right, an HD ready tv would have been ok for you, I have a Plasma HD ready tv myself and I also get a very good picture, most manufactures only produce full HD tv's now, but HD broadcasts are only transmmited at 720p, I believe that in a few years they will change to 1080p, I think that HD has been very slow to progress over the years, we are now faced with another form of tv this year, 3D, although I very much doubt if it will succeed, only time will tell.
I have recently purchased a Blu-ray player which has greatly improved my viewing pleasure, I would recommend that you buy one if you really want to see amazing HD on your tv, they are much cheaper now, but always check Amazon for prices, but again, to get the best from your tv you will require a home cinema sound system, cheers.

Posted on 12 Nov 2010 11:16:43 GMT
Mike.M says:
I have decided I do not want a TV but would like to watch my videos and DVDs on a large screen. This would not require a TV licence. Is there anything like this available?

In reply to an earlier post on 12 Nov 2010 11:51:11 GMT
A. Bond says:
Question, I Hope you don't mind me asking, but why have you decided to stop watching TV?

Posted on 12 Nov 2010 12:38:29 GMT
Mike.M says:
Just returning from abroad and seeing the UK progammes, decided that the one or two worthwhile things to watch are not worth the 150 pa. (This is my own little protest at the dumbing down of TV and the highly inflated salaries of anyone broadcating.) There are good TV films but I can get the DVD on Amazon later. For news etc. I like Radio 4

In reply to an earlier post on 12 Nov 2010 16:22:20 GMT
A. Bond says:
I tend to agree with you, the level of TV programs has reached an all time low,(wellcome back to rip off Britain) I have not heard of a large flat screen apart from television, you might have to bite the bullet and get a TV licence, the only other thing I can think of is perhaps, a computer screen, they are available in wdescreen and up to 24" now and the picture quality is excellent.

Posted on 23 Nov 2010 12:27:10 GMT
Depending on the size and layout of your room, you could use a projector. They're very affordable now. A full HD projector can be had for a price similar to a big screen LCD/Plasma, approx 500-700. If you don't want/need full HD then it'll be even cheaper. If you're only using it for occasional film watching then the bulb should last a good length of time too. HTH.

Posted on 23 Nov 2010 13:05:43 GMT
Mike.M says:
Thanks for the replies. I will start by using a monitor. I am looking at the possibility of getting a 2nd hand larger TV and disabling it from receiving.

In reply to an earlier post on 23 Nov 2010 18:05:55 GMT
A. Bond says:
I think you will find, that even though you disable your tv from receiving, you may still have to obtain a licence, go to -TVlicencing.co.uk for information,(I could be wrong)

Posted on 25 Nov 2010 21:29:12 GMT
P. Litynska says:
No, you don't need license if you not watch or record TV. They might pay you a visit to check it though ;]

In reply to an earlier post on 26 Nov 2010 09:01:44 GMT
Mike.M says:
We had a visit from a TV licence inspector a couple of weeks ago who told us that even if we had a TV not used for watching, this would be OK, however I was not prepared to take the risk as I suspect it would be up to me to prove that I had not used it for more than a screen for videos and DVDs.

In reply to an earlier post on 26 Nov 2010 12:45:57 GMT
Alan says:
You need a TV licence if you have any television capable of viewing television broadcasts,whether you watch those broadcasts or not!

Posted on 29 Nov 2010 21:57:26 GMT
Last edited by the author on 29 Nov 2010 21:58:15 GMT
Get a TV license and get back into British television - you can only want so many DVDs/Series before you start missing the drama on Eastenders.

In reply to an earlier post on 30 Nov 2010 15:16:24 GMT
A. Bond says:
I agree entirely, I would also recommend that you buy the Eastenders DVD box set, to watch in your spare time.

In reply to an earlier post on 1 Dec 2010 00:46:08 GMT
I don't understand why 'A. Bond' is advising 'L. Lewis' to buy an HD tuner when there is one already integrated in the Full HD TV he/she has bought. Surely it is cheaper to purchase a TV with Full HD (even if HD broadcasts are transmitted at 720p at the moment), than to purchase an HD-ready TV and then having to go to the effort and expense of purchasing a separate HD Tuner and accompanying connector?

I'm very, very confused, especially as I was on the point of purchasing a Full HD TV.

In reply to an earlier post on 1 Dec 2010 10:47:02 GMT
A. Bond says:
Hi fluffyfreddie, at the time of my comment, (March-2010) Tv's with built in HD tuners were not readily available, it was some months later that they started to appear in the shops, also Full HD refers to Tv's rated at 1080p, and HD ready refered to Tv's rated at 720p, all Tv's now come with either Freeview or Feesat HD tuners, I believe Panasonic Tv's have Freesat & Freeview, with Freesat you will require a satellite dish, but in my opinion it's the best one to go for, anyone who purchased a Tv without HD built in,will still need to buy a separate HD box to receive HD broadcasts, hope this answers your query.

Posted on 1 Dec 2010 11:37:18 GMT
Hi A. Bond, Yes, everything is slowly falling into place in my brain! I've just checked out L. Lewis' purchase and it appears that although the TV is Full HD, the Freeview is not, so apologies for doubting your advice. It's just very misleading to read 'Full HD with Freeview' as one would expect that the Freeview is also HD. Wrong! One has to look for 'Full HD with HD Freeview'. However, as HD is only broadcast in 720p (and not in my area until November 2011), is the extra expense of buying Full HD (1080p) plus HD Freeview warranted for watching TV Channels?

Gosh! I only set out to replace the horrible lump of grey CRT TV taking up space in the corner of my living room. Decisions, decisions! Oh, and apologies for any technical errors I make as I stumble my way through the minefield of information available.

In reply to an earlier post on 1 Dec 2010 13:31:52 GMT
A. Bond says:
Hi fluffyfreddie, yes you do have a lot to think of when choosing a new tv, not least, the size of the screen in relation to your viewing distance, as a guide, go for a larger size screen compared to your old CRT-TV, I replaced my old 30" CRT TV with a 37" flat screen, and it looks fine, also check out the types of display panels-ie LCD- LED - PLASMA, I prefer Plasma, but that is only my personal choice, but whatever you decide to buy, in 12 months time there will probably be newer models on the shelves.

In reply to an earlier post on 10 Dec 2010 19:18:06 GMT
Robert Major says:
Hi A.Bond, I am sure I read the other day if you have any means of watching a tv programme you must have a license, this includes computers!! Big brother is alive and well in the 21st century!
Happy Days.

In reply to an earlier post on 10 Dec 2010 19:56:40 GMT
A. Bond says:
Robert, I did not know that, thanks for the info, cheers.

Posted on 8 Jan 2011 11:13:00 GMT
Last edited by the author on 8 Jan 2011 12:03:02 GMT
Michael says:
There seems to be some confusion regarding the Samsung LE40C650 television. It was being offered by Amazon as having Freeview HD, then it was withdrawn for a few days and now its back but with no mention of Freeview HD. It now just says Freeview. Most everybody else, including Samsung themselves, still claim Freeview HD but are out of stock. The specs on the Samsung site say the tuner is DVB-T/C and no DVB-T2 which, if I understand it correctly, is needed for Freeview HD in the UK. (The rest of Europe uses DVB-t for HD transmissions) I would just get one and send it back if it did not have Freeview HD but my area is not due to have the HD trammissions until later this year.

Have I got my facts right? Does that Samsung TV have Freeview HD or not? Can anybody shed some light on my confusion?

In reply to an earlier post on 8 Jan 2011 11:28:24 GMT
A. Bond says:
Have a look at the new range of Panasonic tv's, they come with Freeview + Freesat HD, you will need a satellite dish for Freesat, but the extra outlay is well worth it,(also you will have to go a long way to beat the quallity of a Panasonic tv)

Posted on 11 Jan 2011 12:32:58 GMT
Have just bought a Samsung LE40C750 through Amazon. We can get all the freeview channels with the exception of freeview hd. Anybody got any idea why?
Geoff
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the full hd televisions discussion forum (12 discussions)

More Customer Discussions

Most active community forums
Most active product forums

Amazon forums

This discussion

Participants:  15
Total posts:  34
Initial post:  21 Feb 2010
Latest post:  16 Mar 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 7 customers

Search Customer Discussions