Shop now Shop now Shop now  Up to 70% Off Fashion  Shop all Amazon Fashion Cloud Drive Photos Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now Shop Fire Shop Kindle Shop now Shop now
Customer Discussions > fiction discussion forum

Bankers in Fiction

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-24 of 24 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 12 Sep 2009 13:38:01 BDT
I'm looking to create a list off fiction books that feature bankers, and this is the only one that I can think of: John Macnab

Any other ideas, please?

Thanks

In reply to an earlier post on 12 Sep 2009 13:51:56 BDT
Furny says:
Hi
If you type in bankers fiction in the search engine above it comes up with some recommendations, theres a few so you might something useful.
Furny x

Posted on 12 Sep 2009 17:00:31 BDT
American Psycho, Christie Malry's Own Double-Entry.

Posted on 13 Sep 2009 09:38:31 BDT
I Readalot says:
Canarino - Katherine Buckness, the protagonist is 'a wealthy investment banker'.

Posted on 13 Sep 2009 10:37:27 BDT
Last edited by the author on 13 Sep 2009 10:37:52 BDT
Boris says:
Terry Pratchett's 'Making Money' probably counts - it concerns a chap who takes charge of the central bank in Ankh Morpork

Posted on 13 Sep 2009 11:23:06 BDT
Last edited by the author on 13 Sep 2009 11:24:04 BDT
JW says:
The Moneymaker by Janet Gleeson (edit - not sure if this is fiction)
Do Butlers Burgle Banks? by P.G. Wodehouse
Banker by Dick Francis

Posted on 15 Sep 2009 09:27:45 BDT
Uncle Moley says:
Kane and Abel by Jeffrey Archer? William Kane, one of the main protagnists is a banker and the book is based around wealth and fortune.

Posted on 15 Sep 2009 09:34:56 BDT
Try david Golder by irene nemerovsky & Kane & abel by Jeffrey archer

Posted on 15 Sep 2009 21:38:08 BDT
Bookworm79 says:
Little Dorrit -Charles Dickens

In reply to an earlier post on 20 Sep 2009 13:01:44 BDT
J. P. Lynch says:
Good Evening,
A fictional banking book I can recommend is " A Dangerous Fortune" by Ken Follet. It is also a good Family Saga. If a sequel is ever published,I'd definitely buy it.

Posted on 21 Sep 2009 00:11:19 BDT
penny says:
Emma Lathen has a series of books, starting with 'Banking on Death, whose central character is John Putnam Thatcher, senior vice-president of the Sloan Guaranty Trust on Wall Street, seems to find himself playing a leading part in solving murders which he comes up against in the course of his duties. They are so well written that they manage to make what should be 'staid' characters most enjoyable and help to remind us that surprisingly enough bankers are people too!

In reply to an earlier post on 21 Sep 2009 01:44:06 BDT
Last edited by the author on 21 Sep 2009 01:44:33 BDT
Robocat says:
Line of Vision by David Ellis - the main protagonist is an Investment Banker caught up in a murder. Actually not a bad book with a decent ending / twist. Link supplied by Amazon below.

Line of Vision

In reply to an earlier post on 21 Sep 2009 03:20:18 BDT
Edgar Self says:
Baron Danglars of his own private bank, in Alexandre Dumas fils's "The Count of Monte Cristo", one of the best novels of revenge. The Count carries a million francs in his cigar case, and presents his old nemesis Danglars with three unlimited letters of credit upon his bank for more millions of francs in gold and notes, then proceeds ruthlessly to ruin him by manipulating the new telegraph, and by other means. (Spoiler's alert!).

A favourite scene: the Count appears after a year's absence in Paris for a pre-arranged luncheon with young friends he has rescued from bandits during the carnival in Rome. He innocently gives his new address in Paris, which his steward had gone ahead to arrange for him: it is, Nr. 3, Champs Elysees.

Posted on 22 Sep 2009 22:24:46 BDT
M. Jolliff says:
Neil Stephensons Baroque Cycle has as one of its main subplots the creation of our modern economic system and consequently has several bankers as protagonists

Posted on 26 Sep 2009 13:39:57 BDT
Katron says:
Try David Charters

In reply to an earlier post on 29 Apr 2013 15:29:12 BDT
[Deleted by the author on 30 Apr 2013 09:39:14 BDT]

In reply to an earlier post on 29 Apr 2013 16:27:40 BDT
Anita says:
So it wasn't enough to spam all over the thriller forum, Cliff Face?

In reply to an earlier post on 29 Apr 2013 17:08:19 BDT
TomC says:
Tom Ericson is definitely one for the blacklist.

In reply to an earlier post on 29 Apr 2013 18:17:55 BDT
[Deleted by the author on 30 Apr 2013 09:38:53 BDT]

In reply to an earlier post on 29 Apr 2013 18:18:24 BDT
[Deleted by the author on 30 Apr 2013 09:38:37 BDT]

Posted on 29 Apr 2013 19:36:24 BDT
Justin Cartwright's Other People's Money, Tom Wolfe's The Bonfire of the Vanities, and Adam Haslett's Union Atlantic.

In reply to an earlier post on 29 Apr 2013 19:45:31 BDT
I Readalot says:
I just wonder 'why this thread' it died over 3 years ago. Must take a bit of work to track down a thread this old.

Posted on 29 Apr 2013 21:58:44 BDT
monica says:
Golly, I saw thread title and immediately thought 'I can easily come up with dozens of them but I could come up with many many more non-fiction ones'. Then I thought, 'How did that get past the resident censor?' Then I thought, 'I must read that thread title again'. I'm sure there's a word for the equivalent of the eyes making a typo and I'd dearly love to know what it is . . .

I Readalot, I know, but I enjoy seeing old threads like this pop up. (Not saying that you don't as well.) And it's quite nice to see it revived with a post that doesn't try to sell the kindle autobiography of a tanker.

In reply to an earlier post on 29 Apr 2013 23:35:56 BDT
Last edited by the author on 29 Apr 2013 23:40:33 BDT
TomC says:
"What has Tom Ericson done wrong - have you read the book? "

You're a spammer, which makes you unwelcome here to begin with, and it gives good reason to believe that you are either the author of the book or someone associated with the author. Nobody here believes that you are objective in your recommendation of it, and they are never going to, no matter how much you protest to the contrary.

The point of the blacklist is that on principle most people here will not buy the work of authors whose work is publicised by spammers. What the book is like is beside the point; one does not reward bad behaviour. All you have achieved by spamming is to guarantee loss of sales. I've decided to build up a blacklist of authors whose work I won't consider buying for that reason alone, and I intend to publish it here at some point.

But since you ask the question, I read the sample and it looked mediocre at best. Since this is what is supposed to sell the book, and one assumes that it will be the part to which the author has given the most time and effort, that doesn't say much for the rest of it.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the fiction discussion forum

More Customer Discussions

Most active community forums
Most active product forums

Amazon forums

This discussion

Discussion in:  fiction discussion forum
Participants:  19
Total posts:  24
Initial post:  12 Sep 2009
Latest post:  29 Apr 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions