Customer Discussions > fiction discussion forum

Something Uplifting

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-11 of 11 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 12 Jan 2011 12:28:11 GMT
thebopple says:
I'm having one of those day's (more like week's), when things are getting me a little down. Can anybody recommend something to make the world seem a little brighter? I have eclectic taste, so I'll consider most books (it doesn't have to be fiction). Thanks.

Posted on 12 Jan 2011 15:31:53 GMT
Last edited by the author on 12 Jan 2011 15:32:20 GMT
Travel Fan says:
Hi thebopple,

Tom Conti`s - The Doctor, is a good read if you don`t mind a few swear words.
Colleen McCullough - Tim, Thornbirds, Angel. etc.
Val McDermid - Wire In The Blood. These can be very explicit.
Hope you find something!! ☺

Posted on 12 Jan 2011 15:48:46 GMT
VCBF (Val) says:
I usually choose something funny if I need my spirits lifting, but humour can be very individual. My favourites are Spike Milligan, Magnus Mills, Flann O'Brien, John O'Farrell and Will Self, but they don't always write 'feel good' comedy, so may not be the ones for you.
What books have made you laugh in the past?

Posted on 12 Jan 2011 17:33:56 GMT
Since you mention it doesn't have to be fiction, I highly recommend Miracle In The Andes, Nando Parrado's account of his 1972 plane crash in the Andes and his trek out of the mountains to get his injured and weak friends rescued. Very moving and inspirational! (We all have our "own personal Andes" to face, he says.)

Take care of yourself!
Jen Malin
Author of As You Wish

Posted on 12 Jan 2011 17:35:41 GMT
Lily Lit says:
Man's Search for Meaning is an excellent non-fiction book.

Posted on 12 Jan 2011 18:19:28 GMT
Florence43 says:
For quick reading an Agatha Raisin book or a Hamish Mcbeth book both by M.C. Beaton - quite silly and entertaining.

Posted on 12 Jan 2011 20:12:14 GMT
thebopple says:
Thanks for the suggestions. A friend has recommended 'The Autobiography of Benjamin Frankilin', which I've downloaded and am already well into. It's hugely inspirational; I'm loving it. I think I may also buy one of the light hearted ones mentioned above. The two non-fiction books are now added to my wish list and I can't wait to read them. So many great books but only one lifetime to read them in.

Posted on 12 Jan 2011 21:18:54 GMT
A. Crowley says:
just finished 'Sh*t my Dad Says' by Justin Halpern, funny funny funny and oh so true..... i have a queue of people who have heard me chuckling all the way through it waiting to read it... short and sweet!

Posted on 13 Jan 2011 11:20:23 GMT
Fiona Hurley says:
The Stephanie Plum books by Janet Evanovitch are hilarious. They start with One for the Money.

Posted on 13 Jan 2011 11:33:13 GMT
rowat says:
I'd recommend The Summer Book by Tove Jansson as an uplifting read. It's short, and each chapter is complete in itself, so you can read it as and when you find a moment. Stories of a young girl on an island with her grandmother and father, full of wisdom and beauty and also funny. It's just a wee gem!

Posted on 13 Jan 2011 12:49:28 GMT
Sanderae says:
Even when I am very down My Family and other Animals will make me laugh - takes you to another place where only funny, nice things happen.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

More Customer Discussions

Most active community forums
Most active product forums

Amazon forums

This discussion

Discussion in:  fiction discussion forum
Participants:  10
Total posts:  11
Initial post:  12 Jan 2011
Latest post:  13 Jan 2011

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions