Customer Discussions > fiction discussion forum

Books with friendships between people of different rank/status

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-5 of 5 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 14 Dec 2012 23:56:54 GMT
Last edited by the author on 14 Dec 2012 23:57:26 GMT
E. R. Welsby says:
Hi all,

I'm looking for some books or stories to read in which two people of different rank or status have a strong friendship or possibly even romance. This could be anything from noble & servant to president & staff member, or military personnel of different ranks, etc.

However, I am specifically NOT looking for stories where they break rules / act against the norms of society / defy their families / etc.

Instead I'm looking for stories where the difference in status or rank is fully apparent in their behaviour toward each other and both of them accept it - e.g. giving & following orders, saluting or bowing, addressing each other by title or rank rather than by name, that kind of thing.

I'm not keen on historical fiction - I'd prefer contemporary, fantasy or sci-fi.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Posted on 16 Dec 2012 02:15:12 GMT
Roma says:
Hi The Kite Runner is an amazing novel that explores the friendship between the son of a rich educated Afghan and the son of his servant. The betrayal of one and the acceptance of this by the other is at the heart of the novel. Set against the background of a Taliban controlled Afghanistan,this novel explores the themes of friendship, betrayal and atonement and religion, class and race. I loved it!

Posted on 16 Dec 2012 02:39:35 GMT
The Impostor, love story, by Tiffany Carmouche is fantastic! It's the first of a trilogy & the second is to be released during Mardi Gras in Feb 2013! I was an ARC reader for the second book & I can say..... you will not be disappointed! She really keeps you hooked!
http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_1?url=search-alias%3Ddigital-text&field-keywords=tiffany+carmouche xx

In reply to an earlier post on 16 Dec 2012 13:22:15 GMT
PD says:
I recently read The Trouble With Girls by Jonny Cox which might interest you. It's generally about an army officer's difficult love life but there is an element of a working class boy living in the officers mess. The main character has a different style of leadership with soldiers which ranges from being close friends with the company's sergeant major to fighting with a soldier when lost in the jungle.

The Trouble With Girls

Posted on 17 Dec 2012 21:06:04 GMT
E. R. Welsby says:
Thank you all, I will have a look at them.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  fiction discussion forum
Participants:  4
Total posts:  5
Initial post:  14 Dec 2012
Latest post:  17 Dec 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions