Customer Discussions > fiction discussion forum

Books you actually HATE & would scream at if they were a person

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 350 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 31 Mar 2010 15:43:52 BDT
JennyD says:
you know the one, your toes curl, you hand clenches into a fist...perhaps its a certain character, a word used repeatedly, crap sex scenes or just the fact that the author can't write for toffee.

Mine? The Island- Victoria Hislop

Posted on 31 Mar 2010 16:22:20 BDT
VCBF (Val) says:
Just the Daily Mail, JennyD, although there are a few books I wish I hadn't bothered with.

Posted on 31 Mar 2010 16:46:45 BDT
Last edited by the author on 31 Mar 2010 16:47:45 BDT
I Readalot says:
Can't think of a single one I feel that stongly about, then again I don't go round screaming at people either. However, like Mrs Butler-finn there are a few I wish I hadn't bothered with - Dan Brown's Lost Symbol springs to mind. I can't comment on The Island from personal experience as I haven't read it, but I do know that a lot of people really loved it.

In reply to an earlier post on 31 Mar 2010 17:02:41 BDT
JennyD says:
you've never screamed or shouted at anyone? i don't randomly scream at people or anything. You should read the Island, its tedious and i've never seen such over use of the word 'merrymaking' or 'making merry' its so annoying.

In reply to an earlier post on 31 Mar 2010 17:04:14 BDT
JennyD says:
the scary thing about the Mail is that it grows on you. My dad started ordering it because of some special offer and i started reading it. Over the weeks i started believing what i was reading....

Posted on 31 Mar 2010 17:20:16 BDT
J. Yates says:
Although not a book but a play I have very strong feelings about Arthur Millers Death of a Salesman but then I had to read this at school. Twice (for reasons too boring to recount). But I had no choice - am baffled as to why you would continue to read something that was driving quite so mad?

Posted on 31 Mar 2010 18:37:41 BDT
Bookworm79 says:
'Madame Depardieu and the Beautiful Strangers' by Antonia Quirke. It's a combination of autobiography and supposed film criticism (Quirke used to be a film reviewer for the Independent on Sunday -I did like her writing there, which is why I bought her book) but she comes across as so self-absorbed that it just really wound me up. I did something I have never done to a book before (or since) -I put it in the bin. Not the charity bin, or recycling bin, just the bin.

Posted on 31 Mar 2010 18:49:31 BDT
monica says:
Jenny D, this is slightly worrisome. You scream at people selectively and involuntarily clench your fist when you're overcome by too much merriment? And you took the Daily Mail seriously? The only two times I've screamed and tightened my fists were during Ireland's penalty shoot-out in South Korea and Ivanisevic-Rafter Wimbledon final. I'm not proud of my behaviour. And now I'm quite anxious: Does behaving like that mean that I'm likely to become a Daily Mail reader?

Posted on 31 Mar 2010 19:10:21 BDT
VCBF (Val) says:
Bookworm79: I like the Independent on Sunday film criticism and have for several years. I am now glad I never came across this book.

JennyD: I very rarely scream at people either, although I have been known to comment on the marital status of the parents of certain drivers, from the safety of my car.

In reply to an earlier post on 31 Mar 2010 19:50:13 BDT
Last edited by the author on 31 Mar 2010 19:51:37 BDT
LEP says:
Well there are some I've hated but been forced to read at school for exams e.g. Lord of the Flies and The Red Pony, and all of Hardy's (so depressing and couldn't stand Bathsheba in Far from the Madding Crowd) spring instantly to mind. However, usually if I really hate a book, I just put it down and don't read it.

Posted on 31 Mar 2010 20:15:51 BDT
Twilight. I know many peoplelove the books, but my god i hate them. There isnt asingle character worth my time but i forced my way through the books so i could at least form valid arguements against them. Bella is easily the most hated character from any book i've ever read. Shortly followed by Edward.

In reply to an earlier post on 31 Mar 2010 20:26:47 BDT
Last edited by the author on 2 Apr 2010 12:34:46 BDT
Bookworm79 says:
Ms. V.C. Butler-finn: I still like the film criticism in the Independent on Sunday (even in the regular Indy where Anthony Quinn seems to hate every film that is released but does so in a very funny and erudite manner); they have a good track record of interesting writers on film, which made the quality of this particular book all the more mystifying. I don't always agree with them, but they're always worth reading (especially Jonathan Romney).
Re: the Daily Mail -enter 'daily mail song' into youtube (look for the 'dananddanfilms' one) and have a chuckle.

Posted on 31 Mar 2010 21:05:05 BDT
M. Worth says:
Captain Corelli's Mandolin - what a load of ill-informed inconsistent sentimental untruthful-to-the-core pile of ordure. I kept going as I had been told there was a twist, which I hoped would redeem it but when the twist came I felt even more defiled. I feel sullied that I even have the memory of this book in my mind as I would normally have ceremonially burnt it (OK, given in to a charity shop) after the first chapter. To me this was like the worst of hollywood - playing my emotions (which yes I do have - doh) like a violin without a shred of integrity beneath. Appalling.

Posted on 31 Mar 2010 21:45:32 BDT
mermaid says:
All Dan Brown. Lousy writer and plagiarist - I hurled his books into the nearest bin. Simon Raven, (a genius) covered the whole precept of Merovingian ancestry in the 70's with erudition, scabrous wit and elegance.

Liz Jones. Whingeing hag.

Posted on 31 Mar 2010 22:04:06 BDT
shell says:
oh dear m.worth you did hate captain corelli's mandolindidnt you? you've practically come out in hives! whereas i absolutely loved it so i suppose its a case of each to their own which is why i like the 'look inside' facility at amazon, although i appreciate customer reviews one mans poison is another mans medicine so its worth checking it out before you buy.

Posted on 31 Mar 2010 22:13:28 BDT
The Da Vinci Code... Nuff said.

Posted on 31 Mar 2010 22:39:46 BDT
Banjanx says:
As it happens - absolutely hated "The Island", dismally written. I gave up on it. But forgot the whole episode until I saw your post.
Interesting are the books where you realise they have some merits, but you hate them. The follow-up to TimeTraveller'sWife - Her fearful symmetry is thoroughly annoying in many ways, though I did finish it.
Also interesting are the books you give up on. Only three or four in my first 45 years - but lots more in the last few. Why? Maybe should start new discussion - but would feel I'm stealing yours.
B.
PS Also hated The Quincunx, Oxygen, A Time to Kill, The Gift......

In reply to an earlier post on 1 Apr 2010 09:42:40 BDT
JennyD says:
its the principle of the thing i guess. I really hate not finishing books and if the book is rubbish i get angry because i know i will have to force myself to keep reading.

In reply to an earlier post on 1 Apr 2010 09:46:19 BDT
JennyD says:
believe me i wasn't merry whilst reading the island. What i mean is that Hislop uses the word merry and merrymaking what seems like hundreds of times in the book. She seems to think that by using such a old fashioned term she is defining cretans but its just out of place and annoying.
As for sports, to be honest i couldnt care less and i'll never understand how people can get so emotional when they themselves arent actually playing!

Posted on 1 Apr 2010 09:59:49 BDT
Disgrace - JM Coetzee. i can't talk about how much i hate it because thinking about it will make me go insane with frustration.

In reply to an earlier post on 1 Apr 2010 10:35:57 BDT
VCBF (Val) says:
I just watched the Dan and Dan film, Bookworm79. Thank you, I feel much calmer now.

Posted on 1 Apr 2010 10:51:05 BDT
What I Loved by Siri Hustvedt.

Sweet Jesus, that annoyed me.

In reply to an earlier post on 1 Apr 2010 11:00:46 BDT
S. Baker says:
Agreed. I struggled in reading it after the sparkly vampire part. It's highly sexist, the main characters have no depth, it KILLS vampire mythology and there is no chemistry with the two mains. It'sa highly depressing I'm the only person I know in my age group who despises it. That and Bella is a self-insertion. The movie's also rubbish btw.

Posted on 1 Apr 2010 11:04:20 BDT
RachelWalker says:
Vernon God Little. Makes me want to scream at the Booker-prize panel for being IDIOTS. A pile of tripe.

Posted on 1 Apr 2010 11:35:18 BDT
J. E. Murphy says:
Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire (and subsequent publications in the series) for the shocking work of the editor(s) [we'll ignore the fact I personally disliked the series].

Plus, the Twilight series for repeatedly over emphasising how "pale", "marble", and "dreamy" (and "glisteny") Edward is...over and over and over and over again. Not to even have to mention how pathetic Bella is/was as a human being, let alone a girl/woman.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... 14 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the fiction discussion forum

This discussion

Discussion in:  fiction discussion forum
Participants:  243
Total posts:  350
Initial post:  31 Mar 2010
Latest post:  4 Jan 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 15 customers

Search Customer Discussions