Customer Discussions > fiction discussion forum

Soviet invasion of Scotland

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-20 of 20 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 11 Apr 2013 15:35:35 BDT
I have one long standing puzzle, maybe you can help?
It is a book about a Russian (Soviet) invasion of a newly independent Scotland. The Russians arrive on an exercise and the truth only emerges after the local village police man is shot. It is called something like crimson autumn. (It is NOT Red October, Crimson Tide, Red Storm Rising ) any thoughts you may have would be much appreciated. I read it about 1970-72 it was a library book but sadly the library records have been confuserised since then!
Thanks in anticipation
Be lucky
David

In reply to an earlier post on 12 Apr 2013 06:25:17 BDT
SuperSpike65 says:
Hi David, This is only a maybe, but there was a Scots literary critic and historian by the name of Francis Hart who also wrote a few novels in the 1960s and 1970s. One of them was called Red Autumn, but I don't know anything about the plot, so it could be a complete red herring(!)

In reply to an earlier post on 12 Apr 2013 12:23:26 BDT
IMHO says:
It sounds like a hybrid of 'Red Dawn' and 'The Eagle Has Landed'. I wish I could help! Sorry. Regards, John.

In reply to an earlier post on 12 Apr 2013 19:26:35 BDT
David,I would love to help but I am very 'confuserised',too.
I'll check it out.

Posted on 27 May 2013 05:41:08 BDT
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

Posted on 27 May 2013 09:48:12 BDT
Last edited by the author on 27 May 2013 16:20:11 BDT
Obelix says:
Unsurprisingly, given that Scotland is in Great Britain.

In reply to an earlier post on 28 May 2013 21:54:25 BDT
gille liath says:
Yeah - not a terribly strong grasp of geopolitics there...

Posted on 28 May 2013 22:11:39 BDT
I can't believe how many knobs frequent this forum.

Read the guy's post.

"It is a book about a Russian (Soviet) invasion of a newly independent Scotland."

Understand the basic concept of fiction, and stop trolling people's threads. We all *know* Scotland is not independent in *real* life. I'm only speculating but I'm guessing he's referring to a work of *fiction* where Scotland is independent - It's make believe, sort of like stories where people come from non-existent planets' like Kryptonite, or when Sleeping Beauty slept for 100 years and Rip van Winkle for 40. Amazingly, they weren't fed through a drip and they managed to continue their lives without rehabilitation or physical therapy programs.

Stop trolling.

In reply to an earlier post on 28 May 2013 22:59:37 BDT
Last edited by the author on 28 May 2013 23:00:36 BDT
Steven says:
a rare occasion Michael where I stand and applaud your posts!
well put.
and extra marks for excellent use of the childhood insult 'knobs' which I haven't heard outside of a playground before! ;) :)

Posted on 29 May 2013 13:51:05 BDT
John Buchan's Huntingtower (the first of his three Dickson McCunn books) is set near Carrick in south west Scotland around 1920. The hero is a 55-year old grocer Dickson McCunn, who has sold his business and taken early retirement.

The story revolves around the imprisonment under false pretenses by Bolshevik agents of an exiled Russian noblewoman. The Scottish local community mobilises to uncover and thwart the conspiracy against her, and to defend the neutrality of Scotland against the Russian revolutionary struggle. A plot based on espionage and covert violence is set against the seemingly tranquil Scottish rural backdrop, a narrative device commonly found in Buchan's novels. The novel contrasts the domestic characters, heroes and villains, with their more alien Russian counterparts.

In reply to an earlier post on 29 May 2013 19:04:21 BDT
Last edited by the author on 29 May 2013 19:11:37 BDT
Obelix says:
Michael,

GL and I were responding to Eric's post, silly.

How embarrassed you must feel.

Posted on 29 May 2013 19:54:41 BDT
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

Posted on 29 May 2013 20:52:18 BDT
Obelix says:
Too proud to admit you fluffed up, Mickey?

Posted on 30 May 2013 08:42:17 BDT
K. M. Thorpe says:
At first I thought I read this book; I even remember where I bought it, from a remaindered bookshop in Oxford so it must have been in 1992-3. I can even envisage the front cover and remember elements of the story. Twenty years on, I cannot recall the title. However, I realise now that the one I was thinking of was actually about a Soviet regime in Scotland so it was further on than the story you outline.

In reply to an earlier post on 30 May 2013 12:53:21 BDT
Last edited by the author on 30 May 2013 15:56:15 BDT
The Hill of the Red Fox (Kelpies) is worth reading even if it isn't the book you remember, David.

<<It is the time of the Cold War. Soviet spies are feared, and secrets are traded. People disappear.

"Unknown man found shot" said the newspaper headline. Alasdair recognised the man he had met on the train to Skye, the man who had slipped him a desperate last message "Hunt at the Hill of the Red Fox M15". Alasdair finds the Hill of the Red Fox on Skye, but the note still makes no sense. Nor at first do most of the strange and dangerous goings on on the island, many of which involve Alasdair's sinister uncle, Murdo Beaton. There is much more than the odd bit of poaching happening - nuclear scientists and their secrets are disappearing. People are not always what they seem. Whom can Alasdair really trust? In finding out he uncovers a web of espionage - and all its perils!>>

About the author: "Allan Campbell McLean (1922- 1989) was a British writer and political activist. He originally came from Lancashire, but he lived in Scotland for many years. His writings include The Glass House, based on his own experiences in a military prison, and the children's novels The Hill of the Red Fox, Ribbon of Fire and A Sound of Trumpets."

Posted on 30 May 2013 14:38:23 BDT
Kevan James says:
This isn't the book you're looking for but it reminded of the premise, though in this case it's an independent Edinburgh. Body Politic

Posted on 17 Jul 2013 14:12:05 BDT
Hi , I did find a book called ' Red Autumn ' by Arthur Crew Inman ,but I cannot find out what it's about ! You can still buy it on Amazon in both hardback and paperback editions .

Posted on 18 Jul 2013 12:21:49 BDT
That was first published in 1923, although contents are as you say hard to find, I seriously doubt this is the one I am after. Thanks anyway.
Be lucky
David

Posted on 18 Jul 2013 17:28:03 BDT
Is this the book, David? The Hill of the Red Fox (Kelpies)

Posted on 26 Aug 2013 14:53:02 BDT
I bought 2 of Allan Campbell McLean books , ' The Hill of The Red Fox ' , and ' Master of The House ' [ it's got another name , but I've forgotten it ] ,2 very good children's books that adults can read ! Sort of John Buchan for kids .
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  fiction discussion forum
Participants:  13
Total posts:  20
Initial post:  11 Apr 2013
Latest post:  26 Aug 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 2 customers

Search Customer Discussions