Customer Discussions > fiction discussion forum

What is the saddest book you have ever read?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 126-150 of 922 posts in this discussion
Posted on 2 Oct 2009 18:58:43 BDT
Lyndy says:
The Book Theif had me in floods!

In reply to an earlier post on 2 Oct 2009 22:15:13 BDT
You could try mine, 'The Entire Animal'. Naturally I'm biased, but I think it fits your description.

Greg.The Entire Animal

In reply to an earlier post on 2 Oct 2009 22:46:41 BDT
pigeon post says:
saddest in what sense?

Posted on 2 Oct 2009 22:51:19 BDT
Eileen Shaw says:
I recently read John McGahern's The Barracks - desperately, heartbreakingly sad. And very depressing.

Posted on 2 Oct 2009 22:57:08 BDT
For One More Day - Mitch Alborn. I cried and cried, what I'd give for that one more day.....

Posted on 3 Oct 2009 09:08:33 BDT
"Birdsong" by Sebastian Faulkes made me cry with its depiction of the Somme battlefield. I read "The Kite Runner" on a long car journey through France, and was crying when I had to hand over the money at every toll booth (or maybe that was just the euro exchange rate...) "We Need to Talk About Kevin" was heartwrenching, but I think you probably have to be a parent to feel that. "Atonement" is another one; one mistake ruins several lives.

Posted on 3 Oct 2009 09:41:32 BDT
G. Laird says:
How about "The Vang: The Battlemaster" by Christopher Rowley? Very unlike those others listed here, this is SF and grim with lots of violence, however there are a lot of sad storylines here, maybe none sadder than that of the Battlemaster.

Posted on 3 Oct 2009 14:16:58 BDT
Jude the Obscure. no jokes in that one as I remember

Posted on 3 Oct 2009 15:27:49 BDT
Kay Fender says:
Yes, same as Travis, I would say Angela's Ashes, which I also read on holiday, probably making a bit of a spectacle of myself as I sobbed away on my sunlounger by the swimming pool.
I also cried a lot over "Marley" but this is probably regarded as a "maudlin tear-jerker"; I find animal stories are often very sad.

Posted on 3 Oct 2009 16:39:13 BDT
Pippa D says:
A Thousand Splendid Suns by Khaled Hosseini

Posted on 3 Oct 2009 17:17:44 BDT
My sister's keeper, Jodi Picoult

Posted on 5 Oct 2009 23:36:27 BDT
EmmaH says:
"The White Hotel" - so powerfully sad I just didn't know what to do with myself.
"Le Grand Meaulnes" Alain Fournier
"Jenny" Paul Gallico
"Tess of the D'Urbervilles!

Posted on 6 Oct 2009 00:42:31 BDT
Thomas Hardy Far From the Madding crowd
Tess of the durberviles
both are so full of poverty unrequited love and the sufferings of their time that i find them very difficult to read

Posted on 6 Oct 2009 01:29:29 BDT
the english patient,bridges of madison county,call of the wild,the plague dogs,dorothy dunnetts series starting with kings play and ending with checkmate.

In reply to an earlier post on 6 Oct 2009 08:56:09 BDT
bennieblue says:
When I looked at this question. Watership Down was the first book I thought of. I was also sad that I finished it I wanted the book to go on and on.

Posted on 6 Oct 2009 15:04:59 BDT
Mrs. L. Earl says:
The Lovely Bones by Alice Seabold.
The Other Hand by Chris Cleave - very moving
A Life in Pieces by Richard K Baer - a true story of a woman with multiple personality disorder - tragic.

Posted on 6 Oct 2009 15:20:53 BDT
S. Ryan says:
The saddest book I've ever read is 'Before I Die' by Jenny Downham

Posted on 6 Oct 2009 15:42:59 BDT
The grapes of wrath for its absolute humanity

Posted on 6 Oct 2009 19:38:34 BDT
B. Booth says:
noughts and crosses by malorie blackman.

In reply to an earlier post on 6 Oct 2009 20:14:48 BDT
Daisymay says:
I cried at this too - even went downstairs in the early hours to let the dog come and sleep upstairs cos I realised that one day he won't be able to climb the stairs

In reply to an earlier post on 6 Oct 2009 21:08:13 BDT
Last edited by the author on 6 Oct 2009 21:15:01 BDT
kermit 333 says:
flowers for Algernon?yes I have! TOTALLY agree with you!

Posted on 7 Oct 2009 00:34:51 BDT
Love Books says:
The Love of My Life by Louise Douglas
Love Life by Ray Kluum

In reply to an earlier post on 7 Oct 2009 08:35:15 BDT
Adam R says:
the saddest book i have ever read is Goodbye Mr Chips by James Hilton .the film with Robert Donat brought tears to my eyes and when i finally read the book it did the same. shows there is hope for all old curmudgeons

Posted on 7 Oct 2009 13:02:35 BDT
If you're looking for a more recent sad book I would suggest 'Goodnight, Beautiful' by Dorothy Koomson and 'Suzanne's Diary For Nicholas' by James Patterson. Both are beautiful but achingly sad books that had me in tears regularly throughout them. I also enjoyed 'PS I Love You' by Cecilia Ahern - the book is much much better than the film.

Posted on 7 Oct 2009 13:07:01 BDT
J. Wilson says:
The Island by Victoria Hislop is largely uplifting but has some real tear-jerking moments. It is based on a true story even though it is fiction. Apart from that I avoid any books which are potentially depressing.
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the fiction discussion forum

This discussion

Discussion in:  fiction discussion forum
Participants:  673
Total posts:  922
Initial post:  17 Sep 2009
Latest post:  3 Oct 2014

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 30 customers

Search Customer Discussions