Shop now Shop now Shop now  Up to 50% Off Fashion  Shop all Amazon Fashion Cloud Drive Photos Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now Shop Fire Shop Kindle Listen with Prime Shop now Shop now
Customer Discussions > fiction discussion forum

Which is the worst tv or cinema version , you have seen of any book you have read?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 126-150 of 151 posts in this discussion
Posted on 18 Jul 2012 02:33:14 BDT
I absolutely despised the film version of "Borstal Boy" while I loved the novel. The script and direction were a travesty of a beautiful, humane volume of writing. It's like they went out of their way to spit on what Brendan Behan wrote.

In reply to an earlier post on 18 Jul 2012 02:40:37 BDT
Won't go anywhere near it, because Joe Wright's directing. What he did with "Pride and Prejudice" and "Atonement" soured me on ever seeing anything of his, again. I think the BBC version of "Anna Karenina" with Kevin McKidd as Vronsky and Helen McCrory as Anna is pretty good; it gave equal weight to Levin and Kitty's story and hewed very close to the novel...and I must add, AK is one of my favorite all time works of fiction. When Levin reaps wheat in the field alongside the peasants...it's near poetry.

Posted on 18 Jul 2012 05:50:03 BDT
Roxie says:
As an avid vampire fan i have read most if not all of the Anne rice vampire chronicles and was peeved when i see the interview with and vampire and queen of the damned but p.s i love you was worse! I loved that book! And my sisters keeper not a patch on the book!

Posted on 18 Jul 2012 07:32:07 BDT
Sou'Wester says:
I did start to read Doctor Zhivago but found myself struggling with all the different patronymics and colloquial names, which made it difficult to keep track of who was who. That said, that's probably my loss for not concentrating enough and one of these days I will give it another go (although it's far too late now to try and impress my erstwhile lady friend; she went off and got a top degree in classics and had no more time for an ignoramus like me!)

In reply to an earlier post on 18 Jul 2012 08:45:38 BDT
Sou'Wester,

If you decide to go for it, print yourself a list, e.g. http://www.sparknotes.com/lit/zhivago/characters.html, but there are others until your mind adjusts to them.

I'm in the middle of writing a mainstream/historical covering the first 75 years of the 20th century and set mainly Austria and Bosnia. There is a UK link, but very few British names or places. One thing is certain -- I'll need to get one of the big 6 interested in it. It would never sell on KDP.

In reply to an earlier post on 18 Jul 2012 08:50:54 BDT
Haven't seen Never Let Me Go, I'll take your word for it.
But as far as I'm concerned, Kiera Knightly is a very pretty girl but can't pull off even a TV commercial, never mind a good, strong character.

In reply to an earlier post on 18 Jul 2012 09:00:48 BDT
gile,

When you do, let me know what you think.

BTW, if you have a problem with names I've just given a list that you can print out to someone else, may help you too.
http://www.sparknotes.com/lit/zhivago/characters.html
Once your mind and eyes adjust to them it gets a lot easier.

In reply to an earlier post on 18 Jul 2012 09:09:03 BDT
Last edited by the author on 18 Jul 2012 09:11:39 BDT
Pauline says:
Absolutely agree with Angela 9th June about One Day. Too much of Dexter for me and Anne Hathaway too pretty and as you say one dimensional. Carrie Mulligan would have been perfect as her accent would have been great and she is a much better actress in my eyes.

In reply to an earlier post on 18 Jul 2012 11:45:49 BDT
Sou'Wester says:
I didn't catch much of the TV version of Dr. Zhivago so can't really comment. Film makers do tend to go with fashionable rather than appropriate female leads. Julie Christie, very much a 1960s girl, was fine in dramas set at that time, but seemed a bit too "modern" for Lara in David Lean's film, and seemed even more out of period in the film of "Far From The Madding Crowd". The latter was beautifully filmed but all the lead characters seemed to be badly cast, with the exception of Alan Bates as Gabriel Oak.

Posted on 18 Jul 2012 13:19:21 BDT
Having wasted last evening torturing myself with it, I can honestly say that the worst cinema version I have now seen of any book is 2011's "The Three Musketeers". It was truly, truly awful in almost every way. The only things that it could possibly be said to have in its favour are (1) James Corden as Planchet, and (b) well-choreographed, albeit derivative, fight scenes. Other than those two things, it has to be one of the few films with almost no merits whatsoever. Avoid at all costs.

In reply to an earlier post on 18 Jul 2012 20:08:20 BDT
gille liath says:
Personally I thought KK (as well as Julie Christie) was fine in Dr Zhivago, it was one of the best things she's done.

And I couldn't disagree more about Madding Crowd. It's a rare example of a film which is actually better than the classic book it's adapted from.

In reply to an earlier post on 18 Jul 2012 20:09:08 BDT
gille liath says:
As we said earlier, only the Dick Lester version is worth the price of admission - that and Dogtanian.

In reply to an earlier post on 18 Jul 2012 20:09:53 BDT
NEVER forget Dogtanian!

In reply to an earlier post on 18 Jul 2012 20:55:10 BDT
Sou'Wester says:
I'll grant you it was beautiful to look at but (for me) it didn't come anywhere near capturing the heart of the book. I hated Terence Stamp's interpretation of Troy, Christie was far too modern and even the normally excellent Peter Finch was unconvincing as Boldwood. The yokels were complete caricatures and, as I said before, to me only Alan Bates seemed to really understand the role he was playing.
But - thank heaven - we all see things differently.

In reply to an earlier post on 18 Jul 2012 20:57:09 BDT
Last edited by the author on 18 Jul 2012 21:06:42 BDT
gille liath says:
I think (if memory serves) the 'yokel' stuff was pretty much drawn verbatim from the book?

It wasn't Hardy's best effort. The film is more focused and lyrical.

'See things differently'? You and I sure do, eh?

In reply to an earlier post on 19 Jul 2012 11:58:44 BDT
Huck Flynn says:
yes, worth repeating AS-B
hard to know where to begin in analyzing why the film is so awful - there is nothing good you can say about it
the book is brilliant
have you read TC Boyle's Tortilla Curtain - something of the same plot and very good ?

In reply to an earlier post on 19 Jul 2012 12:11:55 BDT
Blake says:
I agree!!

In reply to an earlier post on 19 Jul 2012 12:13:07 BDT
Blake says:
Funny, I was just thinking about this the other day. The TV series was great.

Posted on 19 Jul 2012 16:28:53 BDT
Bridget Jones Diary...loved the book, but no way was renee Zelwegger suitable for the role, and confessions of a shopaholic.... Isla Fisher was totally wrong for the part!! Becky Bloomwood was english for goodness sake.

Posted on 19 Jul 2012 16:52:16 BDT
TC says:
I tend to avoid movie adaptations of my favorite books but sometimes it's just stronger than me. :) that's why I resisted the LoRings adaptation...
Leading the list of worst ever adaptations is the portrait of Dorian Grey. Not one of my favorite books but I really liked it. In the movie Dorian is just pictured like a cheap horny prostitute... and that's about it in the movie.
Also the movie adaptation of Pride and Prejudice. Loved the BBC one but the movie... the actress is just wrong for the role and the story itself was not properly adapted (some characters barely made an appearance).

Posted on 19 Jul 2012 17:33:45 BDT
Dog lover says:
I loved Susan Cooper's The Dark is Rising children's book series, have reread it throughout the years and was really looking forward to the film - it was appalling, even the author wanted nothing to do with it, apparently. Very disappointing.

The strangest one was Jeffrey Deaver's The Bone Collector. I really enjoyed the book but the film was bizarre - people who lived in the book, died in the film and vice versa - and they even swapped people's genders around. Again, a huge disappointment.

The one film adaptation I really liked was Chocolat. It bore almost no relation to Joanne Harris' book but it stood up as an enjoyable film in its own right.

In reply to an earlier post on 19 Jul 2012 19:41:39 BDT
gille liath says:
I thought the film was better than the (pretty atrocious) book.

In reply to an earlier post on 19 Jul 2012 19:42:34 BDT
Last edited by the author on 20 Jul 2012 11:47:29 BDT
gille liath says:
Dorian Grey with Colin Firth in? Yeah, that was shocking. The older George Sanders version was okay.

I agree about avoiding films of favourite books. I avoided the LotR films for years, but I feel ready to cope with them now.
Your reply to gille liath's post:
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)

Posted on 19 Jul 2012 21:49:30 BDT
c w shepherd says:
Twilight has to be both the worst book and film I know.
I read the books years before the films were made, its book annoying and boring the way the girl has a loving father, fits in with the cool kids and moans about it all the time.

The stupidity of it is It places a far greater importance on indulging in being sad, moaning and How important it is to have a boyfriend no matter how dangerous the relationship is. Its an incredibly dull book and bad example for teenagers as it gives them unrealistic views on what matters at a crucial part in life when there working to complete there education which will ultimately define there future.

In reply to an earlier post on 20 Jul 2012 08:52:28 BDT
Blake says:
It's amazing the difference an actor makes. You have a picture in your mind and if the actor doesn't fit, it just doesn't work - in my humble opion.
For example - Rebus - great series of books. John Hannah - great actor, but just wasn't Rebus, couldn't bear to watch. Ken Stott - perfect fit - love it
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the fiction discussion forum

More Customer Discussions

Most active community forums
Most active product forums

Amazon forums

This discussion

Discussion in:  fiction discussion forum
Participants:  71
Total posts:  151
Initial post:  3 Jun 2012
Latest post:  20 Jul 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 7 customers

Search Customer Discussions