Customer Discussions > fiction discussion forum

Self-published books: pain or gain?

This discussion has reached the maximum length permitted, and cannot accept new replies. Start a new discussion

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1226-1250 of 1000 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on 22 Jun 2012 18:19:50 BDT
Last edited by the author on 22 Jun 2012 18:21:44 BDT
Frank Mundo says:
You can link to the review on Twitter just using the headline and a tinyurl link.

Posted on 22 Jun 2012 18:31:49 BDT
Yes, I do that too but I use bit.ly.

In reply to an earlier post on 22 Jun 2012 18:34:39 BDT
And, you can set your FB account up to do that automatically...

In reply to an earlier post on 22 Jun 2012 18:38:38 BDT
Yes that's true because I have but don't ask me how because it was very complicated and I doubt I'd be able to do it a second time.

Cheers

MTM

In reply to an earlier post on 22 Jun 2012 18:43:40 BDT
Last edited by the author on 22 Jun 2012 18:44:12 BDT
Frank Mundo says:
Facebook added an author book app that lists your books and prices and links to your author page. It's pretty cool.

In reply to an earlier post on 22 Jun 2012 18:46:53 BDT
I just link to the review. Those who are interested will have to click. ;-)

Posted on 22 Jun 2012 18:47:07 BDT
Frank Mundo says:
Sorry, I took us way off topic.

Back to self-published books pain or gain? and book reviews.

Posted on 22 Jun 2012 18:55:09 BDT
Back to reading books: I've given up on Dodge at 82%. Repetition of the same event over and over again drives me nuts. I'm starting another self-published book today and have high hopes. :-)

@Booktigger: had a little peek at the Soul Reader and wasn't impressed with a woman security worker being allowed to search him this intimate. I believe it's against the law. But I read on a little more. It seems an interesting read. Will carry on with it after the book I'm starting today.

In reply to an earlier post on 22 Jun 2012 18:55:37 BDT
Ha!

Posted on 22 Jun 2012 19:09:27 BDT
Frank Mundo says:
Here's a question.
Oscar Wilde said, "There is no such thing as a moral or an immoral book. Books are well written or badly written". I think that's pretty cool.

With this in mind, can you, as a reader and reviewer, read and write a fair review for a book that goes against your personal beliefs, maybe even to the point of offending you: The Marquis de Sade, for instance, or maybe Nabokov's Lolita or Birth of a Nation? Can a book that offends you deeply still be well-written and worth recommending to others?

Posted on 22 Jun 2012 19:25:40 BDT
The only thing that offends me as a reader is when the author thinks I'm stupid.

In reply to an earlier post on 22 Jun 2012 19:37:31 BDT
Frank Mundo says:
Nice. I like that answer.

In reply to an earlier post on 22 Jun 2012 19:41:25 BDT
Neat! *Rushes off to find it...*

In reply to an earlier post on 22 Jun 2012 20:13:42 BDT
There's things I just don't read because I'm not interested or gets on my nerves, but it takes a lot to offend me in fiction. :-)

Posted on 23 Jun 2012 09:23:58 BDT
if something offends you - or you think it will - just don't read it. i think of myself as christian ( with small c) though i'm not a churchgoer and don't pray daily - doing is what counts more in my view - i'm not even sure who god is - something more than just us is my belief - so books that ram chritianity down the throat aren't for me - but i'd not slate them just comment that personally i don't like that aspect - i can't be offended by it. as am amputee what really got me cross was "the horse whisperer" when the MC had her leg amputated and all the stuff about her false leg and how she got back to riding was soo sooo incorrct. been there. done that right down the the getting back to riding and it was all so totally incorrect. thats the closest i've come to being offended by a book but tbh it was more real annoyance than offence esp as people believe that whats written/filmed is correct and i was returning to riding after i had my leg amputated at same time - same amp except mine was a little higher...so when people would say " but in the film...." it made me see red. ( ironic point : i'd not read the hype just knew the book was about horses one of the big loves in life- i bought it to read in hospital when i went in for my amputation! truth really is stranger than fiction sometimes- main story in casualty night beofre was lady in accident getting leg amputated too... )
interesting description of reviewer stella - i see what they mean as difference now - "professional" as being almost book writing technique deconstruction more than content. The kind of stuff we did at school in english language courses, looking at sentence/paragraph strutures and bits of work rather than the whole. I focus on content mostly - i put what would be useful to me as a reader and i can see how there's a big difference - maybe rather than reviewer there ought to be a dif label to reflect how we treat book reviews differently - in a perfect world of course.
sorry for wandering off topic too. self published books still a gain for readers IMO as its opended up so many books that woudl never see light of day traditionally. wiki entry for j k rowling says book rejected by 12 publishing houses before bloomsbury took it up and its the world best selling sereis ( and i've never read any of them...) but just think if she'd taken those rejections to heart and stopped after first half dozen. self publishing allows authors a different way of getting books out to trad route and means that books can be available even if not thought to be a huge sucess. the vosts of trad publishers will dictate what they pick - they outlay huge amounts on the risk a book will sell and recoup costs and make a profit so they're going to stick mainly to tried and tested formants not anything too different

In reply to an earlier post on 23 Jun 2012 09:37:47 BDT
That sounds good. What's it called?

In reply to an earlier post on 23 Jun 2012 10:00:50 BDT
Last edited by the author on 23 Jun 2012 10:39:23 BDT
Hi, Jeannie

I think you're mostly doing what my friend said a pro reviewer does. Just that you don't take writing apart for technique. Then again, you're not reviewing for newspapers or are paid. It's more or less a hobby which also helps self-published authors. If it wasn't for guys like you, we'd had it a lot more difficult in the ever more getting competitive market.

Your comment re self-published book being published even if they may not be the big success! I love that and that's exactly what it's about. Sometimes you just write in a genre that is a niche market and probably will never make it big, but those who love the genre can enjoy it. Or they were rejected because the houses have something similar already. Doesn't mean they aren't any good.
Or it's something agents or publisher don't consider as 'hot' at the moment, but there are still people who'd like it. No Wings Attached was rejected about 30 times (mostly on queries). My guess is the word 'angel' which I had originally in the pitch, put agents off. One publisher suggested --after reading it -- to tweak it to fit their house style more and submit again. I declined. Couldn't be bothered to send it out anymore and instead worked on it and published myself. The agents have been right, though: it's not 'hot' as sales, or better the lack of them, show. lol Ah well, it's still a good book.
I now don't even consider sending my work out. Rather self-publish and see how I get on. Plus, I find the time it takes a trad. pub. house to get the book ready just too long. It normally takes over a year, you don't get advances anymore, or rarely and far less royalties than you could make yourself. I know I can write books that are of the same standard as trad. pub. houses, so why would I go with them? I have all the control and the reader gets to read it 'unfiltered'. Life's short, I don't have time to wait around. I'll produce a book a year and hope for it to hit the market, if not, I can be sure that it probably would've been rejected by a house anyway. Nothing's lost. Problem is everyone does it, but not everyone can write to a good standard or are story tellers. That's why we have so many books readers complain about.

In reply to an earlier post on 23 Jun 2012 13:58:38 BDT
Well... I am biased to comment on it (since I have a self-published book), but I just couldn't help it.
I do read self-published books all the time, and I do give up early when they have major mistakes (plot or grammar wise), but I still believe it is an amazing gain to have them around.
Sometimes I find incredible stories, or a character with such a personality that impels me to continue within his world. That is what a book is all about. I read them because I am trying to find a new world, scenario or even historical fact that pulls me out of my ordinary life. Often, these self-published books (along with all the problems they might entail) do the trick and surprise me. I can say I had my book reviewed, proofread and accepted by two major publishing houses in Portugal, but because of two killer arguments it was dropped (it was originally in English by a Portuguese writer and the economic situation allied to a small market would not meet the minimum requirements).
I obviously believe I am not the only case, therefore I do search for self-published books on a regular basis to find those incredible hidden stories, lurking in the shadows, waiting to be discovered.

Posted on 23 Jun 2012 19:40:30 BDT
I read and review e-books and I also offer an affordable correction service. Books should be proofread before they're published, but I've yet to read an error-free self-published book.

Most of the errors won't get picked up by a spell checker - stairs 'v' stares etc.

Some excellent stories are reduced to nonsense by the lack of attention to detail.

In reply to an earlier post on 24 Jun 2012 10:38:11 BDT
Splinker says:
I am a model of self-restraint here.

In reply to an earlier post on 24 Jun 2012 16:26:03 BDT
My favourite sock puppet, that's what you are. :-)
How's things, Adam? Haven't seen you around much.

In reply to an earlier post on 24 Jun 2012 16:50:15 BDT
Nice to hear, Ethereal. I love the immediacy of an eBook, but nothing beats a book on the shelf that I can look at and hold and remember the story within

In reply to an earlier post on 24 Jun 2012 21:58:51 BDT
He's too busy on the US site to play round here

In reply to an earlier post on 24 Jun 2012 21:59:37 BDT
I'll link you when i've found the dam thing myself, Marcus

In reply to an earlier post on 25 Jun 2012 15:39:51 BDT
An offensive book was removed from Amazon a few years ago because it supported paedophilia. I think support is the correct word to use in this context. So many people complained and it was removed.

To answer the question, if the book was compelling reading, I would finsih reading it, but would never recomend it and, depending on the subject, I might leave a review. If it was in support of, or advocating anything dangerous or unlawful I would report it to Amazon.
Discussion locked

This discussion

Discussion in:  fiction discussion forum
Participants:  418
Total posts:  10000
Initial post:  17 May 2012
Latest post:  28 Dec 2014

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 25 customers

Search Customer Discussions