Shop now Shop now Shop now  Up to 50% Off Fashion  Shop all Amazon Fashion Cloud Drive Photos Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now Shop Fire Shop Kindle Shop now Shop now Shop now
Customer Discussions > fiction discussion forum

What is the saddest book you have ever read?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 101-125 of 925 posts in this discussion
Posted on 29 Sep 2009 23:18:11 BDT
S. Turner says:
Wuthering Heights. The first time I read it I was about 12 and I remember being so upset at the whole cast of characters.

Posted on 29 Sep 2009 23:30:51 BDT
My Life, by Mr and Mrs Betteridge

Posted on 30 Sep 2009 07:21:04 BDT
C. White says:
I can't get too sad about things that didn't happen to people who never existed (to paraphrase Helene Hanff) Try "A short walk from Harrods" by Dirk Bogarde. Heartbreaking examination of illness and old age destroying the dream and at the same time a eulogy to that dream - just great

Posted on 30 Sep 2009 13:15:52 BDT
tokyo steve says:
The Butcher Boy - Patrick McCabe
Cancer Ward - Alexander Solzhenitsyn

Posted on 30 Sep 2009 14:00:31 BDT
Billy by Albert French. It was so sad it was painful

In reply to an earlier post on 30 Sep 2009 15:17:16 BDT
Probably Of Mice And Men, John Steinbeck. Also, although they're short stories, I'd choose: Some Of These Days by James Purdy, A Recluse And His Guest by Tenessee Williams and How They Chose The Dead By Hollis Summers.

Posted on 30 Sep 2009 16:30:07 BDT
R. begum says:
the saddest book ive read is My Darling Elia by Eugenie Melnyk set in world war 2
also is
The Boy in Striped Pyjamas by John Boyne

RB

Posted on 30 Sep 2009 18:57:18 BDT
'My Lovely Bones' by Alice Sebold. Very very sad, made me cry. Story of a murdered child who can see her family after her death.

In reply to an earlier post on 30 Sep 2009 19:39:06 BDT
Last edited by the author on 30 Sep 2009 19:45:24 BDT
Diggeryjude says:
I absolutely agree Say A Prayer for Owen Meaney is one of the saddest stories I have ever read. But it has to be one of my most favourite. Also a Tree Grows in Brooklyn by Betty Smith is very moving... and requires a large number of tissues to negotiate.

Posted on 30 Sep 2009 19:52:17 BDT
Saddest characters I've come across are Lily Bart in Wharton's House of Mirth and Hurstwood in Dreiser's Sister Carrie. The saddest author has to be George Gissing (hardly known by most readers but an extremely accomplished chronicler of late-Victorian England, who also happened to live the most appallingly sad life of any English writer (which he partially described in New Grub Street and Born in Exile). He was Orwell's favourite writer and Virginia Woolf admired him too.

In reply to an earlier post on 30 Sep 2009 22:20:29 BDT
C. Madden says:
Why, because you think it's rubbish? I do too but my family loved it. I thought they were all mad.

In reply to an earlier post on 30 Sep 2009 22:22:28 BDT
C. Madden says:
The Bronze Horseman is next on my list to read. Didn't realise it was part of a trilogy. Is it the first one? If so what are the next two in the series? That will annoy me now until I have them!

Posted on 30 Sep 2009 22:30:53 BDT
Shazza says:
Gosh, so many when I start to think back over the years, but the ones that spring immediately to mind: The Kite Runner (still thinking about it 18 months on - exceptional but unbelievably poignant), elements of Man and Boy by Tony Parsons (when his father died the page was sodden) and a children's classic, Charlotte's Web - read it to all three of my children and every time was too choked to continue after the death scene....and it was just a spider!

In reply to an earlier post on 2 Oct 2009 06:24:15 BDT
N. Wilding says:
Yes The Bronze Horseman is part of a trilogy and is the first one, the subsequent titles are:
Tatiana and Alexander
The Summer Garden
and then there is another called Tatiana's Table which is actully a recipe collection with some extra scenes from the story. Not really necessary but quite nice to read if you love the trilogy as much as I do.
Enjoy them.
Also, all the other Paullina Simons books are well worth a read.
She is my favourite author, so I am a little biased!

Posted on 2 Oct 2009 08:39:47 BDT
Schindler's List

Posted on 2 Oct 2009 11:16:09 BDT
PS I Love you, by Cecilia Ahern, made me cry! sad i know, but it wasnt crying as in, tears a little bit in my eyes, it was tears falling down my face in big drops.

Sad I know....

Posted on 2 Oct 2009 11:33:27 BDT
Push by Sapphire

Posted on 2 Oct 2009 11:51:19 BDT
Pink Minx says:
Unbelievably the book that made me cry the most was NATION By Terry Pratchett. This is not a discworld novel. TP has a unique grasp of the human condition. This novel is marketed as a childrens book but i would urge you to not let this put you off, like much of TPs work much is in what the reader brings to the experience.

Posted on 2 Oct 2009 12:00:04 BDT
Suzanne's Diary for Nicholas by James Patterson. Not what you would normally expect from James Patterson.

In reply to an earlier post on 2 Oct 2009 15:07:10 BDT
C. Madden says:
Thank you.

Posted on 2 Oct 2009 15:58:46 BDT
Sam Skaty says:
Skallagrigg - William Horwood

Posted on 2 Oct 2009 16:03:20 BDT
murstov says:
I'm putting the first book that came in to my head when I read the the thread title.. Mary Shelley's Frankenstein. Be interesting to see if anyone agrees. There are definately others but none so quick to come to mind......will contemplate some more.

Posted on 2 Oct 2009 16:56:14 BDT
Roots By Alexander Haley

In reply to an earlier post on 2 Oct 2009 18:24:14 BDT
Doreen says:
on the beach by neville shute

Posted on 2 Oct 2009 18:54:23 BDT
pigeon post says:
the story of o, pauline reage; the buick saloon, ann bridges (short story); i was dora suarez, derek raymond.
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the fiction discussion forum

This discussion

Discussion in:  fiction discussion forum
Participants:  675
Total posts:  925
Initial post:  17 Sep 2009
Latest post:  20 Dec 2014

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 31 customers

Search Customer Discussions