Customer Discussions > fiction discussion forum

My dirty little secret revealed:

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 101-125 of 265 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on 13 Jun 2012 20:08:09 BDT
LEP says:
Stella, it's not a woman's name. It's what Scottish Highland servants were called, usually outside servants I think.

In reply to an earlier post on 13 Jun 2012 20:11:04 BDT
Hence my ETA. I was talking about the surname, my surname to be precise.

In reply to an earlier post on 13 Jun 2012 20:26:00 BDT
LEP says:
Ohhhhh..., sorry!

In reply to an earlier post on 13 Jun 2012 20:43:47 BDT
Last edited by the author on 13 Jun 2012 20:45:11 BDT
LOL Well, it was me who started the confusion in the first place.

So I have to apologise. :-)

See, that's how quick you get a sex change and spouse. Once you look away...

In reply to an earlier post on 13 Jun 2012 23:16:11 BDT
Last edited by the author on 13 Jun 2012 23:26:57 BDT
carocaro says:
From Eire gille? It's ok we can decorate your soap box appropriately then:) oh please do overcomplicate things...how will we learn otherwise!

Stella you say see how quick you got sex change and spouse but did you see how quickly he escaped LOL or like a bird hiding from said gamekeeper...gone to ground.

Seriously Gallic as in Eire really have different letter patterns and spellings that are very different to English tongue and it sounds very
different to what you see written. We went from Holyhead to 'Dun Leery' spelt Dun Laoghaire no wonder we missed our port and ended up at Holyhead again;-)

In reply to an earlier post on 14 Jun 2012 09:46:03 BDT
Last edited by the author on 14 Jun 2012 09:50:17 BDT
gille liath says:
No, I'm not Irish; as LEP said I'm from Lancs, but of Irish / Scots extraction. My 'tag' is Scots rather than Irish Gaelic (the Irish equivalent would be 'giolla') and dates from when I was living in the Hebrides [sighs wistfully]...

You're right though, the orthography of both languages is radically different from English; it's almost harder than learning a new alphabet, because you think you know how the letters are pronounced but you don't.

And if you really want to know, in Gaelic 'gille' is pronounced 'gill-ye'.

As for going to ground - if Stella has got a sex change and a spouse, that seems to mean I need to get a sex change too - sorry to be a party pooper, but I don't think I'm up for that...even for the sake of la belle Stella.

In reply to an earlier post on 14 Jun 2012 10:13:32 BDT
carocaro says:
Cheers gille for all the info and yes I sigh at memories of Hebridean holidays but have never been fortunate enough to live there. Holidays on Mull and Iona only though. Adored the places.
Irish I find impossible due to not knowing letter patterns. Having a Welsh and Scottish heritage I have a feeling of peace, in parts of the two countries...as near as I dare compare to spiritual peace. Yet they ended in the Midlands due to work and war changes a place I never feel part of or at home in. My children prefer Wales too than here. Perhaps genetics influence us this field too.
So Stella had you down as male...now I'm confused...too easily these days.
Have a good day all...back to work.

In reply to an earlier post on 14 Jun 2012 10:19:40 BDT
gille liath says:
I am male!!!

I was saying that if she, being female, had a sex change, I also, being male...

Oh, forget it... :)

Yeah, it's difficult when you don't feel you belong where you live. I've always felt torn between the area I grew up and the places my family came from.

In reply to an earlier post on 14 Jun 2012 10:28:59 BDT
No, no. I like being born female and will certainly stay that way, Gill-ye. Has a nice ring to it, by the way.

Gee, it's like Chinese whispers with this thread.

In reply to an earlier post on 14 Jun 2012 10:32:49 BDT
gille liath says:
Yeah - blimey - I didn't think you actually had had a sex change. :)

As you say, you started the confusion :p; I suppose I get a share of the blame though for my obscure tag. I've had this problem before, though I always try to be belligerent enough not to be mistaken for a lady.

Anyhow, better quit while I'm behind...

In reply to an earlier post on 14 Jun 2012 10:41:05 BDT
I know and I'm fairly sure carocaro took you for a ride. :-)

Posted on 14 Jun 2012 14:00:14 BDT
carocaro says:
Gille ;-)

In reply to an earlier post on 14 Jun 2012 19:29:37 BDT
gille liath says:
"shrug"

Posted on 15 Jun 2012 13:17:56 BDT
carocaro says:
Oh I didn't gille...I haven't a nasty side...I wouldn't be able to keep a straight face. What I should say is that a gallic shrug or Lancastrian? Your county tends to be traversed on the way to either famous seaside spots or people heading up and down the M6 by probably the vast majority...so I found your little secret it has some beautiful country up there. We travelled across from Northumberland in a diagonal cross country meander and loved it out in the country there. Oh I will say as going off thread as usual...those wind farms off the west coast are an eyesore to me. North of Llandudno's Great Orme was a shock when I saw them there too. Great Yarmouth sea too.

In reply to an earlier post on 15 Jun 2012 19:45:19 BDT
Last edited by the author on 15 Jun 2012 21:03:02 BDT
gille liath says:
Oh, don't come trying to butter me up now... ;)

I'm even more confused now. If it was a wind-up, I thought it a very mild one - hardly worth bothering. So Stella was just stirring was she?

When you say 'my county tends to be traversed', I have to say, speak for yourself: it does have a population of about 5 million, who between them manage to spend a certain amount of time there.

Seriously though I take your point: it's not known nationally as a holiday destination. But yes, in all honesty I think the area I live (Ribble Valley / Forest of Bowland) is as beautiful as anywhere I've ever seen. I turn a blind eye to turbines; like it or not, we need 'em, so don't get me started on that.

But even so, given the choice, I'd be back in the Islands:

Still the blood is strong,
The heart is Highland,
And we in dreams behold the Hebrides.

Posted on 15 Jun 2012 20:07:44 BDT
Huh? What did I do?

In reply to an earlier post on 15 Jun 2012 20:16:21 BDT
gille liath says:
You tell me.

Posted on 15 Jun 2012 20:20:33 BDT
I watched Prometheus yesterday.

Want to hear a weird little secret? I hate feet and I'm scared of balloons, or better of the noise they make when they burst. Hate, hate HATE it! You want to keep me at distance? All you need is a few balloons, preferable in a rough (sharp things) surrounding.

In reply to an earlier post on 15 Jun 2012 20:27:36 BDT
gille liath says:
Is that a suggestion?

Balloons I can kind of understand - the noise they make when they rub on things goes through me; feet *is* a little weird, and funny. Do you get about in a bath chair?

I keep hearing Prometheus mentioned, I don't even know what it's about. I suppose it's too much of a long shot for it actually to be about Prometheus?

In reply to an earlier post on 15 Jun 2012 20:39:06 BDT
Last edited by the author on 15 Jun 2012 20:39:59 BDT
I hate feet. Just looking at them -- particularly ugly feet -- makes my stomach turn. I don't touch them and I will never understand how people get pleasure out of sucking on toes. That's just absolutely gross! But then, each to their own. That said, I have quite nice feet, which I'm glad about, otherwise I might have difficulties to look after them. :-)

Prometheus is like Alien. Okay, but not overwhelming. But since I like anything that contains a space ship (films), I enjoyed it, particularly in 3D.

In reply to an earlier post on 15 Jun 2012 20:54:16 BDT
gille liath says:
I love Alien, but most of Scott's films since have been all spectacle and no substance. Re-visiting a subject after 30-odd years (it is him isn't it?) has got to be dubious.

In reply to an earlier post on 15 Jun 2012 20:58:34 BDT
It is and yes, the film has no substance at all. Lots of special effects, but that's about it. A few hilarious mistakes, the kind of having you shake your head, thinking: really?

In reply to an earlier post on 15 Jun 2012 21:02:44 BDT
LEP says:
Prometheus is, according to my son so it's his fault if this is wrong, a prequal to Alien. Apparently there's another 2 or 3 films in the pipe-line (like Lucas started with Star Wars 4, 5 ,6 and then worked backwards).

In reply to an earlier post on 15 Jun 2012 21:06:30 BDT
Yeah, that's what I've heard. I honestly can't even remember Alien anymore. Not in detail saw it like twenty years (?) ago. The one with Sigourney Weaver. But the key elements were the same.

In reply to an earlier post on 15 Jun 2012 21:07:27 BDT
gille liath says:
Gawd! We all know how those turned out...
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  fiction discussion forum
Participants:  20
Total posts:  265
Initial post:  10 Jun 2012
Latest post:  3 Jul 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 3 customers

Search Customer Discussions