Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop All Amazon Fashion Up to 70% off Fashion Cloud Drive Photos Shop now Shop Amazon Fire TV Shop now Shop Fire HD 6 Learn More Shop now Shop now Shop now
Customer Discussions > fiction discussion forum

Books you actually HATE & would scream at if they were a person

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 101-125 of 350 posts in this discussion
Posted on 7 Apr 2010 15:22:33 BDT
gormenghast-somewhere deep in the core of this overblown pantomime was a story-but jees i couldnt find it! by the time i was half way through i could cheerfully have told steerpike exactly where to steer that pike-and it wasnt towards kingship!
gravitys rainbow-i was told this was The Great 20th century American novel by the greatest living writer-what a tome-bits are brilliant-interspersed by vast tracts of self indulgent meaningless pretentious twaddle largely revolving around B52 bombers, masturbation and mathematics....which actually makes it sound more interesting then it was.sheer bloody mindedness made me finish it-but never again would i open its pages-life is too short

Posted on 8 Apr 2010 20:06:59 BDT
Raven says:
Recently vented my frustration with a book by hoying it across the room in sheer disbelief at how inane and badly written it was. The culprit? 'The Rehearsal' by Eleanor Catton...Orange Longlist? My bottom....

In reply to an earlier post on 8 Apr 2010 20:49:13 BDT
C. Madden says:
Agree. Whatever did anyone see in this book? Hated it with a passion. Complete and utter tripe.

Posted on 8 Apr 2010 21:07:10 BDT
Julie Martin says:
The Twilight series. I work in a bookshop and it absolutely kills me when I see teenage girls (and middle-aged women) swooning over that rubbish. They are so badly written and really quite unhealty for anyone to be reading. Someone shoot Stephenie Meyer!

Posted on 8 Apr 2010 21:41:04 BDT
This is fun! Worst book I've ever read - 'The Dying Animal' by Philip Roth. We did it for our book club and all of us (including our 'token man') absolutely loathed it. The story of an ageing college lecturer who embarks on an affair with a beautiful student, it just reeks of wish fulfilment writing. Doesn't the author just wish HE could have a luscious girl a third his age climb enthusiastically into his bed! Sleazy, implausible, and deeply unpleasant.
We had a jolly good discussion about it, though!

In reply to an earlier post on 8 Apr 2010 21:53:06 BDT
Kay - I never knew a fifth Twilight book was coming out!!!!!!!!!!! Argh! Haven't we been through enough?! ;) xx

In reply to an earlier post on 8 Apr 2010 21:57:20 BDT
Last edited by the author on 8 Apr 2010 22:01:26 BDT
SydF says:
Re. LEP on 31st March;

Not the old chestnut about Hardy being miserable again. There is a lot of humour in Hardy (apart from "Jude" I grant you). Dostoevsky isn't exactly a bundle of laughs, but people don't constantly bang-on about him being depressing.

In reply to an earlier post on 8 Apr 2010 22:09:10 BDT
The Dying Animal sounds exactly like Disgrace by JM Coetzee! Again, I HATE that book!

Posted on 8 Apr 2010 22:23:15 BDT
lms says:
"Panic" by Jeff Abbott really made me cross - so many cliches, cardboard characters and ludicrous situations in one book had me grinding my teeth. However, a couple of friends also read it and seemed to enjoy it, or at least not take it quite as personally as I did. I've avoided the rest of his books though.

I also read a few chapters of Labyrinthe by Kate Mosse and had to stop as it was starting to affect my blood pressure - not only would I raise my voice at this book, I would also do a lot of finger pointing and fist shaking!! I can feel my eye starting to twitch even thinking about it.....

Posted on 8 Apr 2010 22:35:13 BDT
Cheesey says:
JennyD - perhaps I came across as a little tough on Shutter Island. Not intentional - even though the 'twist' is telegraphed as early as a hundred pages in, it's still an entertaining read. I think Lehane himself said in an interview that the book is a crazy ride and you've just got to keep reading and not 'mentally climb off'. I agree with him there.

'Hater' by David Moody is one I could add to this list, though. It pains me to say it because I'm a huge genre fan and wanted so much to like it (with its riffs on 28 Days Later etc.). But it was a real slog, and I felt it was a novella stretched to breaking point. But apparently there's a film version on the cards, so what do I know?!

Posted on 8 Apr 2010 22:42:19 BDT
Kay says:
'The Book of Dave' by Will Self .. I'll never ever get that time back again

Posted on 8 Apr 2010 23:13:06 BDT
Ann Farrell says:
A. Farrell says:
my contribution to the discussion would centre on the much hyped (but trite), 'The bridges of Madison County', I could never understand why it was such a hit?

In reply to an earlier post on 9 Apr 2010 10:51:15 BDT
Rising Trot says:
Some years ago, the playwright Willy Russell wrote a novel called The Wrong Boy. Unutterable tedious tripe. I remember feeling terribly cheated, because you'd think the man would be able to write a wonderful novel. Threw it in the bin in disgust after finishing it. Pah.

Posted on 9 Apr 2010 11:02:50 BDT
At least we can be grateful that the fifth Twilight book is a novella, so should be mercifully short! I detest those books - aargh! Stephanie Meyer doesn't miss a trick though, does she? ;-) x

Posted on 9 Apr 2010 12:33:21 BDT
Oooh I love this topic! I have a few:

My Sisters Keeper, the twist at the end is so infuriating!
Shantaram, awful cliched descriptions and the protaganist (sp?) is so arrogant.
Time Travellers Wife, maudlin over sentimental tripe
The Other Hand, Oh I hated this so much, so patronising, it felt like it was trying to 'educate' the reader about immigration, but it had nothing new to say at all. Just remembering it is making me angry.

Thing is, I kind of enjoy reading a book that really makes me angry in a strange way.

In reply to an earlier post on 9 Apr 2010 13:06:12 BDT
M. Snowball says:
I second that. It was the most awful book from start to finish, no redeeming qualities at all.

In reply to an earlier post on 9 Apr 2010 14:43:22 BDT
Auraya says:
LMS, I had forgotten about Labyrinth - I barely made it past the first three or four chapters, the writing style annoyed me so much!

In reply to an earlier post on 9 Apr 2010 14:43:37 BDT
Auraya says:
Nope, Meyer certainly doesn't miss a trick, as if it weren't all enough there is also a graphic novel version of Twilight out....

Posted on 9 Apr 2010 21:22:07 BDT
Last edited by the author on 9 Apr 2010 21:23:17 BDT
Both 'The Lovely Bones' and 'Five People You Meet in Heaven' for being sentimentalised rot

Puzo's 'The Godfather' - incredible film, very pedestrian pot-boiler of a novel - like Jeffrey Archer

Posted on 9 Apr 2010 21:44:58 BDT
The Business by Martina Cole.

Posted on 9 Apr 2010 21:59:37 BDT
That "Ukrainian Tractors" rubbish. I hated that book. Truly TRULY hated it and all the characters from the limp lefty narrator to the senile old goat of the father. I was recommended it by someone at work and I won't ever take on board her selections again!
Also, "Dead Man's Dust" by Matt Hilton. Dreadful action thriller-I mean, they don't have to be that well written to be gripping but this wasn't either.
Matthew Reilly couldn't write a thriller to save his life-I might as well be reading the instruction book for my washing machine.
Dan Brown-I barely got through The DaVinci Code-a book for the hard of understanding I feel.

Posted on 9 Apr 2010 22:15:49 BDT
Blake says:
Sharon Olds is a very talented poet. However, poems with titles like "After 37 Years My Mother Apologises For My Childhood" and "Killing My Sister's Fish" are not for me.

In reply to an earlier post on 9 Apr 2010 22:58:50 BDT
mal says:
Completely agree!!!!! I keep reading 'classic' and 'epic' used to describe the books, WHAT!! I fear for the future of literature.

Posted on 9 Apr 2010 23:07:28 BDT
jk rowling!!!!!!!!!! if the devil said to me you can keep your soul if you read all the harry potter books- i'd reply- stoke up the fire and stick a pitch fork in me i'll be fine in hell!!!!!!!!!!!!!

In reply to an earlier post on 10 Apr 2010 12:07:44 BDT
Jenny says:
lms- i actually liked Labyrinth but i couldn't read her next book. It was so badly written i actually couldnt believe that anyone would put their name to it. If i recall correctly Kate Mosse is the co-founder of the Orange Prize!
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the fiction discussion forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
Announcement
Important Announcement from Amazon.UK
421 23 Dec 2014
A Word Game ... 400 17 minutes ago
I don't want to read self published books. 25 24 minutes ago
Limerick and Poem creation thread 89 4 hours ago
Fiction forum - chat and discussion thread 323 19 hours ago
Books set in 40s/50s 42 21 hours ago
Let's write a story in the fiction forum - Keywords: collaborative fiction cooperative writing writers block creative writing practice joint story making world building 131 2 days ago
Come on - why don't we write our own book right here in the fiction forum ? The sequel. 259 10 days ago
amazon search oddity 2 11 days ago
Online bookstores 6 14 days ago
What are you reading now, list and chat 507 17 days ago
New YA/Distopian Trilogy recommendation please? 6 17 days ago

This discussion

Discussion in:  fiction discussion forum
Participants:  243
Total posts:  350
Initial post:  31 Mar 2010
Latest post:  4 Jan 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 15 customers

Search Customer Discussions