Customer Discussions > fiction discussion forum

Please keep self promo for the Meet Our Authors Forum!

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 76-100 of 519 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on 4 Mar 2013 16:47:41 GMT
I Readalot says:
But then the world of publishing is hard and can be very cruel and 'don't annoy potential readers' must surely be a golden rule.

Posted on 4 Mar 2013 16:53:03 GMT
Hello everyone, there's one of these on the Fantasy forum, I suggest we just chat about anything that comes into our heads, pass the time, whatever, and that way the 'authors please don't spam on here' bit will show up at the top without our having to bump it. Also on the downvote front, I sincerely believe that somebody, under a bridge somewhere, has written a programme that searches for new posts by a selection of usernames and downvotes them automatically. Kind of like adblock on firefox only a tad more negative. Phnark.

Cheers

MTM

In reply to an earlier post on 4 Mar 2013 16:57:24 GMT
Anita says:
I Readalot - very true, but even so the great majority of self-published tosh hardly sells well. Then you just sit down and cry. Preferably, as loudly as you can.

Hi, MTM

In reply to an earlier post on 4 Mar 2013 17:12:36 GMT
Last edited by the author on 4 Mar 2013 17:35:55 GMT
I Readalot says:
Hi MTM, good idea. And it does seem as if someone is doing that re the down votes, bit sad really. They could end up down voting comments that agree with as well. Just to let you know, I have downloaded your book, Ok still no Kindle but apps on my phone, laptop and access to a tablet so that works for the time being.

I am not working this week and have just been trying to sort out my to read pile, discovered some books I had forgotten I had. Anyone else have that problem?

Posted on 4 Mar 2013 17:32:43 GMT
Marand says:
I've just voted you both up to redress the balance - and now await the inevitable down vote!

In reply to an earlier post on 4 Mar 2013 17:44:49 GMT
Wow! Blimey! Thank you.

As for lots of books hmm... I know, for sure that there's someone who downloaded my first book in June 2011 and still hasn't read it. Even I have 47 books in my to-read pile and I am monumentally leery about what I download (because I only get to read about 10 books a year so I have to be sure I'm going to enjoy them).

Cheers

MTM

In reply to an earlier post on 4 Mar 2013 17:52:01 GMT
Marand says:
As to the forgotten books - I have been unpacking boxes following a house move. We moved from Sussex to Warwickshire with a stint in a temporary house whilst we sold the old one and found a new permanent place. The upshot is that we had boxes in the old house, the temp house and in storage - and not only have I forgotten some books, but I have managed to buy several twice without even reading either copy! There is a chap in our village who sells books via Amazon for charity so when I handed over a batch of pristine books I had to explain why they hadn't even been opened. I think he now believes I am some crazy shopping addict.

Posted on 4 Mar 2013 18:10:54 GMT
I Readalot says:
MTM - I will report back when I have read it and I won't leave it as long as that person you mentioned. I will have to be careful what I download, it is too easy. For example I have been wanting to read Jim Butcher's Dresden Files for ages, read a couple years ago, but there are a lot of them and space is limited on the shelves but now I could easily end up spending a fortune on them and increase my to read pile yet again.

Marand - Glad I am not the only one who forgets they have books, but then your situation at the time does sort of justify it. One of my sisters lives in your neck of the woods, Kenilworth.

Posted on 4 Mar 2013 18:42:21 GMT
Marand says:
IR

My husband works on the edge of Kenilworth but we live in a little village near Shipston-on-Stour. Hubby isn't keen on suburbia and a lot of our search area was blighted by HS2. I am not convinced HS2 will actually be built but we didn't look at anywhere within a mile of the proposed tracks - when we were looking the route hadn't been finalised so we didn't want to take the chance that the route moved.

Posted on 4 Mar 2013 20:31:21 GMT
IR, I'm glad to hear that, and you're right, it's easy to let stuff build up.
Marand, were abouts in Sussex did you move from?

Cheers

MTM

In reply to an earlier post on 4 Mar 2013 21:16:02 GMT
Marand says:
We lived in a village sort of between Pulborough, Storrington & Arundel.

Posted on 4 Mar 2013 21:30:20 GMT
I Readalot says:
Marand, I have heard of that village. They moved to Kenilworth, must be 30 years ago now, and have seen quite a few changes.

MTM - I have sorted out some 'will never get round to reading' and 'never get round to reading again' books to take down to recycling and charity shop tomorrow, hate doing it but it must be done.

Just been watching my daft cat attack the carpet, okay he is actually going for a fly but by the time he gets there the fly has gone and he sits there looking confused.

In reply to an earlier post on 4 Mar 2013 22:15:48 GMT
monica says:
A fly? It's only just gone February for god's sake--is global warming extraordinarily advanced there or do you have a fly-breeding farm? in wh. case, I presume 'I Readalot' is code for 'I'm Renfield'. Golly, I feel a book coming on: a tale of a bookshop clerk who in working hours posts emails in a chat room and in free time strives to emulates the distinctive mannerisms of a much-loved character known from Victorian fiction and Expressionist film. Provisional title is Dipteraphagia: Sin, Sorrow, or Succulence ? (This one will be academic non-fiction to be sold at a special low price to readers here.)

In reply to an earlier post on 4 Mar 2013 22:42:42 GMT
Anita says:
It was just the first stage of Renfield, if my not so reliable memory is to be trusted...

In reply to an earlier post on 5 Mar 2013 10:52:02 GMT
Would that be Midhurst? I'm from near Steyning which is about 6 miles east of Storrington as the crow files. I used to meet lots of friends at the White Heart at Stopham Bridge and drop stones into the river, they'd go ploooop.

I Readalot, my cat used to be able to pluck flies out of the air and eat them when he was a youngster. He was incredibly quick. He was a real spanner though. He'd sit on a set of shelves, forget where he was, stand up and bang his head. Another favourite was rolling about on windowsills luxuriating in the sun and inadvertently rolling off. We couldn't open any above the ground floor in case he did himself an injury. He's no longer with us now, sadly.

Cheers

MTM

Posted on 5 Mar 2013 11:04:39 GMT
I Readalot says:
Monica, sorry no fly farm just a few small annoying specimens, maybe they hatched in the warmth of the compost heap. Did try a wormery once though, followed instruction to the letter but some of them kept making a break for freedom and the others died!

MTM, oddly enough my daft moggy is a bit like that, he keeps walking/lying on a flat part of the bannisters at the top of the stairs or is it balustrade? anyway a few week ago he actually did slip, started walking a bit strangely and after an x-ray it turns out he has arthritis, he ended up on some pretty strong drugs for a week, never known him to be so relaxed. He also likes climbing onto peoples shoulders, my sons fault he encouraged him when he was a kitten.

Posted on 5 Mar 2013 14:19:24 GMT
IR, Ours got arthritic eventually but he lived to a ripe old age, the only thing I feel bad about is that he never made it to McMini's first term of school. I was going to lavish him with attention. He used to press his chin on my hands while I typed and put as much weight on it as he could until I had to stop and chuckle him under the chin for a while. He was a real character and I really miss him, I must say.

Ho hum.

Cheers

MTM

In reply to an earlier post on 5 Mar 2013 19:46:08 GMT
Marand says:
I know the White Hart well. It seems to have gone through phases of being very dead in there and then very popular. I think there might be new owners but the last time we went, which would have been last summer, the restaurant area was heaving on a weekday.Did you do to the duck races there when they had them - that was always good fun.

We were out of the village but Storrington was probably the closest one with facilities, although Amberley (lovely Amberley) was probably marginally closer. We were at the back of the Parham estate heading towards Rackham if that makes any sense to you.

Posted on 5 Mar 2013 19:47:48 GMT
Marand says:
The neg-meister is back!

In reply to an earlier post on 5 Mar 2013 20:44:00 GMT
Yep! It does. I never tried the White Hart's duck races and I live in Suffolk now... BTW, seriously, don't take the negative votes to heart, I doubt anything I've said over on .com is visible any more. Phnark.

Cheers

MTM

In reply to an earlier post on 5 Mar 2013 21:47:29 GMT
Marand says:
Oh I don't pay heed to negative votes it is just funny that you, IReadalot & I seem to attract two negs for each post.

In reply to an earlier post on 6 Mar 2013 09:12:24 GMT
Last edited by the author on 6 Mar 2013 19:01:57 GMT
I Readalot says:
You have to laugh! Maybe they will get bored eventually and find something more interesting to do.

I've been trying to catch up with my reading, Roberto Bolano's short stories 'The Return' and the new Vargas on the go at the moment. Then I downloaded the first Dresden Files book - Jim Butcher as I am determined to get my son reading again, he used to read quite a lot but other things have got in the way, he has it on his phone and yesterday read 2 chapters. Trouble is I ended up starting reading it myself (been meaning to read them for years) so now have 3 books on the go.

Posted on 7 Mar 2013 07:26:59 GMT
Steven says:
this thread needs bumping. so bump.

In reply to an earlier post on 7 Mar 2013 10:36:32 GMT
Last edited by the author on 7 Mar 2013 10:54:40 GMT
I Readalot says:
That negger is very persistent.

Think MTM could definitely be right about someone writing a programme to seek out and neg particular contributors, all my posts in various threads now seem to be gaining a neg within a very short space of time, ho hum.

Posted on 7 Mar 2013 11:57:48 GMT
Last edited by the author on 7 Mar 2013 12:06:52 GMT
I Readalot says:
People are still at it, sometimes have to wonder about their abilities in reading and comprehension abilities.

It was pouring with rain earlier but the sun has come out again, wonder for how long.
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  fiction discussion forum
Participants:  32
Total posts:  519
Initial post:  27 Feb 2013
Latest post:  24 Aug 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions