Customer Discussions > fiction discussion forum

Self-published books: pain or gain?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 9726-9750 of 1000 posts in this discussion
Posted on 8 Apr 2014 18:04:01 BDT
It's called Open Minds. I quite liked the premise, and the beginning was promising, but it always a lot happens, it just left me cold.

Posted on 8 Apr 2014 18:14:38 BDT
Reading a few more neg. reviews shows that the author didn't seem to keep up with the requirements of writing series and has bored her readers stiff. That said, there are a lot of positive reviews for the second book, too. (In the US.)
Ah well, it didn't convince me. Will read on just to finish it as I may as well, but won't buy the second book. Back to TP.

Posted on 8 Apr 2014 22:25:05 BDT
E. C. says:
This is why I didn't (and still have not) set out to write a trilogy. I have a lot of admiration for people who can pan a story out over three or more books AND keep the reader interested and although I'm onto my second with the same characters, the first does not end on a cliff hanger.

Cliff hangers - to me they are like Bovril, they either work really well or they totally ruin a good book, no middle ground but that's just my opinion.

Posted on 8 Apr 2014 23:10:15 BDT
It's one of the hardest things to do, and I'm of the opinion that each book should top the previous one. Not a fan of cliffhangers. At all. Open ending to suggest there's more to come, but each story should be self-contained and have an ending.

Posted on 9 Apr 2014 08:38:48 BDT
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

Posted on 9 Apr 2014 10:11:44 BDT
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

Posted on 9 Apr 2014 13:21:05 BDT
I Readalot says:

In reply to an earlier post on 9 Apr 2014 15:49:26 BDT

Posted on 9 Apr 2014 15:54:24 BDT

In reply to an earlier post on 9 Apr 2014 17:48:33 BDT
Last edited by the author on 10 Apr 2014 12:47:33 BDT

Posted on 9 Apr 2014 22:44:41 BDT

Posted on 10 Apr 2014 19:48:42 BDT
E. C. says:

Posted on 7 May 2014 07:44:31 BDT
Missing you guys, so I thought I'd give you a bump. There you go!

Posted on 8 May 2014 21:27:37 BDT
E. C. says:
was hoping we might get to the 9999 posts limit!

In reply to an earlier post on 8 May 2014 22:56:03 BDT
I Readalot says:
It is still possible :)

Posted on 9 May 2014 07:25:50 BDT
Good point. We're not far away. I haven't been around anywhere much. Things have been a bit hectic. I'm preparing two books for publication, getting a kitten, dad's had a fall etc, etc.

Posted on 9 May 2014 08:44:49 BDT
helping to edit a brilliant book. wish I'd written it.

Posted on 10 May 2014 21:49:29 BDT
I'm pretty sure this thread will reach the 9999 at some point. Hope you lot are well. I'm rather busy with my bicycles, building wheels and bikes. Love it! Still haven't finished that book I was reading; in fact haven't touched it in weeks. :-(

Posted on 11 May 2014 00:50:51 BDT
Pity you don't live near me. I have a couple of bikes in my shed that could do with some TLC.

Posted on 11 May 2014 22:29:29 BDT
9745 and counting.......

Posted on 11 May 2014 22:35:33 BDT
And I'd happily look at them. People now 'donate' bikes to me as they trust they'll be in good hands. Will be picking up an old Kona Cinder Cone (89 if I'm not mistaken) with the splash paint. Quite a bit in a sorry state, but I want to try to get it going for my friend who's doing the London-Paris in July. It'll be gorgeous when I'm done with it and I already said I want it back. :-)
Currently building a Viscount for my friend who's coming over for a visit. Poor thing doesn't know that she'll finally get the bike I always said I'd wanted to build her. Restorations cost me an arm and a leg, but I think she'll cry. (Aren't I just mean?)
And I'm building another Viscount for end of June (Staffordshire), where I'm going to a get together of Viscount and Lambert owners. SO much looking forward to that. We're going for a ride and stop at quite a few pubs. Then it's camping for me. Just hope it's not raining.

Posted on 14 May 2014 20:52:25 BDT
E. C. says:

Posted on 17 May 2014 01:05:17 BDT
This thread is now two years old. Someone bake a birthday cake! :-)

Posted on 17 May 2014 08:24:32 BDT
Frank Mundo says:
Two years, and you still haven't found a great indie book yet ;) Boo.

In reply to an earlier post on 17 May 2014 11:11:34 BDT
John Holt says:
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the fiction discussion forum

This discussion

Discussion in:  fiction discussion forum
Participants:  409
Total posts:  9815
Initial post:  17 May 2012
Latest post:  21 days ago

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 22 customers

Search Customer Discussions