Customer Discussions > fiction discussion forum

Self-published books: pain or gain?

This discussion has reached the maximum length permitted, and cannot accept new replies. Start a new discussion

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 9576-9600 of 1000 posts in this discussion
Posted on 29 May 2012 16:41:11 BDT
I don't like to get creamed.

Posted on 29 May 2012 16:37:34 BDT
Are we having an ice cream social? *fetches bib*

In reply to an earlier post on 29 May 2012 16:37:31 BDT
It didn't/doesn't work for the majority of us, but it was worth a shot, I find. If you don't try, you never know. As time goes by more people will come out and talk about the pros and cons and it'll probably settle down.

In reply to an earlier post on 29 May 2012 16:35:22 BDT
Love Vienetta, too. Vanilla.

In reply to an earlier post on 29 May 2012 16:34:52 BDT
No way! Did you read my blog post on that? Haha. I don't know the steps as I never had lessons, but I love LOVE the Quickstep. One day (my dream) I'll lightly hop over the dance floor in one of those fluffy dresses with feathery border. It's one of my things to tick off a long list. :-)

Posted on 29 May 2012 16:02:16 BDT
No, that's an ice cream. Phnark. alright alright I know that's Vienetta I was just being a wise arse.

Posted on 29 May 2012 15:52:04 BDT
I thought viennese was a biscuit?

In reply to an earlier post on 29 May 2012 15:46:55 BDT
LoveBooks says:
Which is why I'm backing out of Select... it just doesn't work for me right now.

In reply to an earlier post on 29 May 2012 15:19:25 BDT
My favorite! Closely followed by the Quickstep. :-)

In reply to an earlier post on 29 May 2012 15:16:39 BDT
I prefer the Viennese. :-)

In reply to an earlier post on 29 May 2012 15:13:44 BDT
Stella: Regular waltz, or Viennese? ;-)

In reply to an earlier post on 29 May 2012 09:57:45 BDT
Did the other reviews on that book say it was similar to 50 shades?

Welcome back, by the way.

I'm personally a bit puzzled by the 'all free and if not, then I return' attitude', if I'm honest. Though I appreciate your honesty. I do download free books, too, and it never happened to me that I purchased a book accidentally. Then again, I don't download many books anyway, as I'll never be able to read them all. This 'attitude' is growing with readers and worries me a lot.

Posted on 29 May 2012 09:42:42 BDT
while writing my review i remembered something else i meant to say about the refunded book - it was the publishing blurb i was relying on when i bought it - i feel they need to be honest as they are selling the product and the words use are part of the publicity and sell enticement. thats what made me feel almost cheated - persuaded into buying something under the pretnce it was other than it was. If it had been a readers review i'd hold myself to blame for relying on it, and not have asked for refund - after all one can hardly expect publishers and authors to be responsible for someone else opinion that isn't concerned with book sales.
I do use reveiws alot when buying books especially if its an author new to me, and as part of payback thats why i write reviews of books so i can hopefully give back some of that help from readers. i don't write reviews of all books i've read - always with those i've requested or received for review of course, but for those i've purchased it tends to be ones that i've loved or hated rather than the "ok but.." ones. i read alot and try to take time and thought when doing reviews - i'd be on pc for far too long if i reviewed everything i've read :(

Posted on 29 May 2012 08:41:43 BDT
remeber now - it was the amazon deleting policy - wirds that they won't have. i was reviewing one book that i loved - had a gay vicar who was a fab character and i was directing quoting hos words on first appearance which happend to be f word... of course the reveiw wasn't accepted but they don't tell you why and took me several attempts at altering parts til i realised it was THAT word which they wouldn't have!!
i don't really have phrases which irritate as a readers - depends really on circumstances characters in but i did contact one author whose book i loved but... her male hottie vampires kept... Giggling. now snarking, smirking, laughing, grinning,smiling - i can do all of those but giggling just sounded wrong - its what giddy teenagers do not male lush vamps and it wasn't just a few times but loads. so i guess for me its context that phrases/words are used in rather than the words themselves.
now i really need to work - i've a review to write! and keep getting distracted. and its not displacemnt exercise as i really enjoyed the book - a first novel but well written and held my interest to the end. a four star - very good for a first book! i guess writing is like painting - for most of us artist its the practice that creates improved quality.

Posted on 29 May 2012 08:33:12 BDT
wow - had family round yesterday - looked at thread today and i've missed pages and pages - you're busy typers!
anyway - i've returned books i've downloaded by accident - when i check free lists and sometimes between being free and getting taken off free list they're full price - i tend to download freebies willy nilly if they sound like ones i might like without reading sample and about 3 times now i've suddenly realised i've clicked "buy" and its no longer free...there's stuff to fill in saying why you're retunrning it and accidental purchase is what i've put. in the case of the book i didn't like only reason i could click was "other". i wouldn't liken it to eating full meal and asking for refund - with a meal you know soon as you start if its not good but books can vary so much and i've read many slow starters that improve part way through. In this case i got to about 50% before i gave up and sneaked a look at end to see if i was missing anything good. I'd NEVER use kindle retinrs like a librabry but i can imagine some dishonest people will try :( but i'd imagine the fact we need to give reason for refund would catch amazons system if too many returned esp if more than one at a time. distance selling regs apply to most internet purchases - i'd disagree that these are services not product - we're buying a book albeit in digital format, and thats a product. i've twice had paintings returned because customer changed mind - sad but then again being able to return something does give customers confidence in buying things esp art where we try to get image as close as possible to painting but each pc has slightly diff colour settings.
btw does anone know how the kindle gift sys works in usa gifting to uk? i've an author wanting to gift me a book for review - i've had them before from usa ok - author has uk account but there is no gift button for us and when she clicks the buy button it wants to send book to her kindle...usually when we want to buy books we have to buy from uk and us site won't allow uk purchases.
something else caught my eye reading through but forgot now what it was... have to re read.

Posted on 29 May 2012 07:06:02 BDT
Last edited by the author on 29 May 2012 07:09:23 BDT
Kriss says:
Low priced books are often the best-sellers. Is it a merit if your book costs less than a cup of tea?
Or do people expect the books to come free once they buy expensive ebook readers?
Krishna Bhatt
author

In reply to an earlier post on 29 May 2012 07:04:23 BDT
Kriss says:
That is good.
Krishna bhatt
author

In reply to an earlier post on 29 May 2012 07:02:42 BDT
Kriss says:
How many of them are paid books?
Krishna Bhatt.

In reply to an earlier post on 29 May 2012 07:01:41 BDT
Kriss says:
Encouraging point.
Krishna Bhatt
Author

In reply to an earlier post on 29 May 2012 07:00:13 BDT
Kriss says:
So true.
Krishna bhatt
author.

In reply to an earlier post on 29 May 2012 06:58:34 BDT
Kriss says:
Fair Enough.
Krishna Bhatt
author

In reply to an earlier post on 29 May 2012 06:56:28 BDT
Kriss says:
I am for your method.
Even the printed books are often difficult to finish.
Krishna Bhatt
author.

In reply to an earlier post on 29 May 2012 00:13:22 BDT
Anita says:
Nice one, Oracle :)

In reply to an earlier post on 28 May 2012 23:33:33 BDT
Oracle says:
Honestly, the Felix novel sounds interesting, but the blatantly out-of-place spamming put me off. Oh, the stupidity...

Posted on 28 May 2012 22:49:57 BDT
I quite like a Waltz, yes.
Discussion locked

More Customer Discussions

Most active community forums
Most active product forums

Amazon forums

This discussion

Discussion in:  fiction discussion forum
Participants:  418
Total posts:  10000
Initial post:  17 May 2012
Latest post:  28 Dec 2014

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 25 customers

Search Customer Discussions