Customer Discussions > fiction discussion forum

Self-published books: pain or gain?

This discussion has reached the maximum length permitted, and cannot accept new replies. Start a new discussion

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 9551-9575 of 1000 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on 25 Feb 2014 22:10:33 GMT
E. C. says:
I agree, I went to see the second part of that (Hunger Games) at the cinema, can't say I enjoyed it -_-

In reply to an earlier post on 25 Feb 2014 22:15:52 GMT
I Readalot says:
I am waiting for it to come out on DVD. Be interesting to see how 'The Maze Runner' transfers to film, the first in that trilogy is due for release later this year, if anything it is even more violent but in a different way.

In reply to an earlier post on 25 Feb 2014 22:48:50 GMT
E. C. says:
Do you think they dumbed down the Hunger Games simply to get a 12A certificate in order to get more people through the cinema doors? I have to admit, the main reason I went was to take my 11 year old son, he's read all three books, as has my 32 year old daughter.

In reply to an earlier post on 26 Feb 2014 00:07:33 GMT
Frank Mundo says:
That's funny, I was going to also but mine is too short.

In reply to an earlier post on 26 Feb 2014 08:54:42 GMT
I Readalot says:
I think they probably did. I read the books as they were published and after reading HG told my son (20's) that it would eventually be made into a film but that the violence would have to be reduced so that younger children would be able to see it. At the time very few people in the UK had heard of the book. Had it on the recommendation shelf and at first it was mainly adults that bought it and it became a word of mouth thing around the area. Of course once the film came out the trilogy started flying off the shelves and all age groups were reading it.

In reply to an earlier post on 26 Feb 2014 09:59:50 GMT
Catherine says:
but it will be a hit because most people who enjoyed the book will go and see it. I am amazed at the amount of young girls who say, 'I would love to meet a man like him,' what message is this kind of trash sending out to our young?

Posted on 26 Feb 2014 12:27:14 GMT
It possibly just shows that 'tame' sex is over. haha. All that women want is that big protective bloke next to them, even if they don't admit it.

In reply to an earlier post on 26 Feb 2014 13:07:41 GMT
I Readalot says:
Possible, but apparently men are still in the majority when it comes to being dominated, although the dungeons do cater for females most of the clientele is male. Although that is probably beginning to change as women can control more aspects of their lives and a lot more are in powerful positions in business, politics etc. Perhaps the more power and control in the public sphere leads to wanting to be dominated in private, handing the power to someone else! Psychological insight for the day :)

In reply to an earlier post on 26 Feb 2014 17:29:30 GMT
Well, I think it's mostly the powerful men who seek being dominated in the bedroom. Whatever floats your boat, methinks.

In reply to an earlier post on 26 Feb 2014 18:54:49 GMT
I Readalot says:
What a strange direction this discussion has taken :) Stranger than usual I mean.

Posted on 26 Feb 2014 19:08:44 GMT
It wasn't me!

In reply to an earlier post on 26 Feb 2014 22:09:03 GMT
E. C. says:
SPOILER ...

I think a lot of it has to do with the reason he was the way he was. To start with, he had no capacity to love because no-one had taught him how to love. His frustration at his past - and his inability to remember/handle it - led to his first sexual encounter being rather 'off the beaten track' and with a married woman more than twice his age who took advantage of him. What she basically taught him, was that to be happy, he needed to use people for his own gratification without feeling an emotional attachment. In a nutshell, Ana fell for him and decided to start unravelling the enigma that he was. When you look at it from that level, it really is quite an interesting story.

In reply to an earlier post on 26 Feb 2014 22:13:12 GMT
E. C. says:
Done properly, the person being dominated (man or woman) is actually the one with all the control, so I guess it depends on how much he/she wants to be dominated ...

I guess men of a certain standing, who have demanding day jobs where they are always in charge, want the chance to kick back and let someone else take charge. For women, maybe it's nothing more than that alpha-male "me Tarzan, you Jane, me take you back to my tree for nookie and I won't take no for an answer ..." sweep you off your feet kinda thing?

In reply to an earlier post on 26 Feb 2014 22:29:32 GMT
Catherine says:
We'd all like a big protective bloke -- but a sadist??????

In reply to an earlier post on 26 Feb 2014 22:35:15 GMT
Catherine says:
And the message is that women really want an abusive man, the poor souls are all misunderstood, and you can knock the spots off a leopard with love -- how wrong is that? This is an insult to any woman who has been in such a relationship.

In reply to an earlier post on 26 Feb 2014 22:48:48 GMT
I didn't read the books, so I can't comment on that. But that's why Twilight went through the roof: Edward who just wanted to protect Bella, plus the undying love between them. Sorry, that got me; the undying love, I mean. *sigh*

In reply to an earlier post on 26 Feb 2014 23:02:54 GMT
I Readalot says:
There is a difference between being in an abusive relationship and a consensual sub/dom relationship. Couples agree as to what is/isn't allowed, they have a safety word in case things go too far. When the book first became huge there was an interesting TV programme about it, I believe that many couples didn't think the book portrays it in the right way and the prog was aimed at clearing up a few myths.

In reply to an earlier post on 27 Feb 2014 02:53:29 GMT
Tui Allen says:
Big Al said I could submit mine for review a long time ago but I didn't because of my policy of not soliciting reviews. I can STILL claim not to have ever asked for a review, let alone paid for it. But I might if I weren't so lucky as I have been with readers just doing it for me without being asked.

In reply to an earlier post on 27 Feb 2014 11:19:02 GMT
Catherine says:
But Ana wasn't a masochist. She didn't want to be tortured. I didn't read Twilight, but I'm sure Edward wanted to protect Bella, whereas Christian wanted to abuse Ana and wanted her to enjoy it. I didn't get the feeling he wanted to protect her from anything, only wanted to controll her in every way.
She only went along with it because she loved him, and in the end, (I believe, I didn't read it that far) she 'cured' him.
BTW, loved 'The undying love of a vampire!!!!'

In reply to an earlier post on 27 Feb 2014 12:53:56 GMT
I Readalot says:
The book did get some criticism for not portraying the lifestyle accurately, that could be one of the areas, but then it is fiction and like all books some people loved it, others hated it (for various reasons) and there were a lot of 'take it or leave its'. Those kind of books have been around for a long time, some got a new lease of life because of FSofG but in general sales of the genre are fading away again.

In reply to an earlier post on 27 Feb 2014 20:42:47 GMT
E. C. says:
I don't believe he abused her. Everything they did was consensual. That's what I mean by her having all the power. One word - no/stop/whatever the chosen word was - stopped everything. He never cajoled her into anything, never pressured her, never tricked her into anything, he explained his life and gave her the choice, join me or don't.

Her choice was to join him and tag along for the ride.

According to Twilight, when vampires engage in the bedroom antics, they do so with gusto. Bella chose to do it with Edward while she was still a human (much to the chagrin of her friend, Jacob who expressed the worry that Bella might be killed) I believe she suffered bruising and bite marks, would you class that as abuse or is that ok because Bella wanted to do it?

In reply to an earlier post on 27 Feb 2014 20:54:10 GMT
E. C. says:
I agree, it is fiction. In fiction, if you want it to happen, it can.

I don't know much about the 'lifestyle', well ... but that's not why I read the book. As with most things, fashions and interests will change and eventually another one will come along (maybe on a different subject) that will get some people hot and bothered beneath the sheets and others hot and bothered on their soap-boxes!

Posted on 28 Feb 2014 10:01:06 GMT
But that's exactly what I criticise in most SP books: the attitude of saying 'it's fiction, so it can happen'.
I haven't read 50 Shades and therefore can't pass judgement on how the SM scene is portrayed. I think I read somewhere (or she said in an interview) that she needed to research as she doesn't have experience in that department. A very difficult position to be in. Experimenting with new genres is fine as long as you can pull it off. My guess for the success is that many bored wives with boring sex in their marriage read it as it's less embarrassing (for them) than telling their husbands they want more action in the bedroom. And those wives wouldn't know anything about SM.

In reply to an earlier post on 28 Feb 2014 21:27:02 GMT
E. C. says:
It's also less embarrassing that reading this month's Fiesta on the train! (Do they even print Fiesta anymore?)

I agree that the attitude of "it's fiction, anything can happen" is sometimes a get out of jail free card for some writers, in fact that's the reason I do so much research, but, and this is a big but, it depends (for me) what kind of fiction you are writing/reading. If it's something that *could* happen, then I want it to be believable. If it's something sci-fi, fantasy, paranormal etc, then go for it, who's to say what's right or wrong with things that have never and could never happen?

In reply to an earlier post on 28 Feb 2014 21:28:34 GMT
I just want the writer to make me believe it. If I can't, they failed their jobs and that, unfortunately, happens far too often.
Discussion locked

More Customer Discussions

Most active community forums
Most active product forums

Amazon forums

This discussion

Discussion in:  fiction discussion forum
Participants:  418
Total posts:  10000
Initial post:  17 May 2012
Latest post:  28 Dec 2014

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 25 customers

Search Customer Discussions