Customer Discussions > fiction discussion forum

Self-published books: pain or gain?

This discussion has reached the maximum length permitted, and cannot accept new replies. Start a new discussion

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 9451-9475 of 1000 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on 9 Feb 2014 18:38:03 GMT
Joolz says:
I won't be trying any more writers groups. Neither will I be going on any more courses. I'm housebound these days. That's why I'm on here a lot of the time. I still 'speak' to Steve Bowkett now and again, though.

Posted on 9 Feb 2014 18:43:10 GMT
Guess I got lucky with the writing group I started, none were writing their memoirs, everyone was really talented and some even extremely good. Mind, we started with short stories, the proper ones, not just stories that are short.

In reply to an earlier post on 9 Feb 2014 20:13:11 GMT
Ethereal says:
It seems a shame to have 3 books behind you and not take them further.
Perhaps they need complete reworking rather than just editing but you have the hard work behind you and between them perhaps the basis for something new, which might reignite your excitement in them.
I'd Google a reputable online course to help with this and instead of self-publishing try mainstream submissions first then marketing isn't so off-putting; or there are 1st-chapter novel competitions where the first prize is mentoring for a year and possible publication if the finished book is ready.

Re writing groups, I've tried a few and conclude the best ones depend on the tutor. Also if the group isn't too small there's more likelihood of a variety of interests. Mine, for example, includes published and unpublished writers, short story writers, novelists, poets, screenplay and radio play writers, autobiographers, those with an interest in fantasy or historical romance or whatever, and those who have no interest in submission.
I've never belonged to an online writing group but know there are some, or people can buddy up with another by email which is more intimate and private.

I expect you know all this!

In reply to an earlier post on 10 Feb 2014 09:34:55 GMT
Catherine says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

Posted on 12 Feb 2014 09:20:46 GMT
Last edited by the author on 12 Feb 2014 09:21:14 GMT
Tui Allen says:
How are you all getting on over there with the weather? We are hearing horror stories about the gulf stream shifting and causing flooding and horrific storms and downpours. Two of our rellies from one of the worst hit areas of Wales have arrived here in NZ to dry out from the weather. They'll dry out to a crisp here. Our farms are going brown. That's horrible too. Wish the weather would even out a bit, and send us some of your unwanted rain.

Posted on 13 Feb 2014 02:57:03 GMT
Tui Allen says:
Now that is scary! No replies. Hope you haven't all been washed away.

In reply to an earlier post on 13 Feb 2014 08:21:18 GMT
G. D. Buxton says:
Hi Tui, I think you will find that most people on this discussion want to keep it to the main topic, if you want to chat go to 'what are you reading now list and chat', you are more likely to get a reply there. saying that the fiction forum here in the UK does not get that many posters anymore, sometimes less than 10 posts a day.

Posted on 13 Feb 2014 09:23:40 GMT
I'm still reading that book at about 14% in. A chapter or two (they're short) per night. Very likable main character, but all a bit immature. Than again it's YA.

Posted on 14 Feb 2014 20:17:16 GMT
Ethereal says:
My, we're all so unpopular here I think fingers must be itching for this thread's demise - they'd be better contributing to make it pass quicker! I foresee another taking its place, won't that be fun ...

Posted on 14 Feb 2014 20:46:16 GMT
And if it's just to piss others off. haha.

In reply to an earlier post on 14 Feb 2014 20:48:43 GMT
Ethereal says:
This thread cannot die before you finish that SP book, I have to know if you will!

Posted on 14 Feb 2014 21:03:51 GMT
The one I'm reading right now?

Posted on 14 Feb 2014 22:43:20 GMT
Yeh. I'm waiting an' all!

In reply to an earlier post on 14 Feb 2014 23:59:15 GMT
Alan Jackson says:
Print on Demand is absolutely free!

In reply to an earlier post on 15 Feb 2014 11:34:20 GMT
Stick to country music, Alan.

In reply to an earlier post on 15 Feb 2014 11:36:05 GMT
It'll be a longer wait. Possibly reading a bit more today. Ill with flu and can't go out riding, which is pretty annoying.

Posted on 15 Feb 2014 19:56:05 GMT
E. C. says:
Sorry to hear about your flu, Stella. I'm just getting over it myself, urgh! -_-

Posted on 15 Feb 2014 20:06:56 GMT
Really annoying and I know exactly who gave it to me. Luckily it doesn't seem to be one that makes me pass out for two weeks. If I get the flu it's serious and I can hardly leave the bed for many days. Went for a short ride, but am back with fever and paracetamol now. Guess another good night's sleep and I'll be much better tomorrow. It's just something we have to live with and I refuse to take the jab, even though just recently reminded by me GP for I've got asthma. Oh the irony.

Posted on 16 Feb 2014 10:38:09 GMT
At 24% now. I'm beginning to be annoyed with a few things. If I'd been the MC I'd have slapped that guy a few times; nobody touched my face without feeling repercussions.

Posted on 17 Feb 2014 16:14:14 GMT
Catherine says:
http://authorearnings.com/the-report/ this is an interesting link

In reply to an earlier post on 17 Feb 2014 16:51:39 GMT
roger says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

Posted on 17 Feb 2014 17:57:47 GMT
No, Roger.

In reply to an earlier post on 17 Feb 2014 18:14:37 GMT
I Readalot says:
Try the Meet Our Authors forum.

Posted on 17 Feb 2014 20:22:56 GMT
Last edited by the author on 17 Feb 2014 20:23:09 GMT
I doubt there will be takers. If you can't even be bothered to punctuate your post. I guess that's the typical fly-by plug. Another idiotic approach by someone who isn't able to read.

In reply to an earlier post on 17 Feb 2014 23:19:21 GMT
Tui Allen says:
But it's not them I'm worried about. It's the people I've been talking to.And they're here.
Discussion locked

More Customer Discussions

Most active community forums
Most active product forums

Amazon forums

This discussion

Discussion in:  fiction discussion forum
Participants:  418
Total posts:  10000
Initial post:  17 May 2012
Latest post:  28 Dec 2014

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 25 customers

Search Customer Discussions